I've become obsessed with this game- I need advice

TheSupaCoopa

Duran'del here:

I had a sudden epiphany today I've become obsessed with SWTOR. I've judged how "productive" a day is by judging how much TOR I've played, and the more time I spend on it, the more productive the day is. Its saddening. This obsession has had impacts on my real life- I forget to eat, to drink, to study, and sometimes to do homework.

I guess this obsession comes from the fact that my first "MMO" I played, LEGO Universe, died off one and a half years after its release. Now I guess I'm afraid the same will happen to SWTOR, and I subconsciously try to spend all of my peaking moments on it... I guess it doesn't matter in the end, but it matters to me, if it makes sense.

Does anyone have any advice? I got Lost Planet 3 yesterday, so I guess I could play that for a bit, and there's also Titanfall. Do any huge MMO players have any advice on how to help me get off this MMO addiction?

Here is what I do:

Use the MMO as a reward. Do you still have homework to do? Yes? Playtime is not now. Have you had dinner yet? No? Playtime is not now. Etc.

If you use it as a reward for actually getting your stuff done, your playtime will be that much more pleasurable because, in the back of your head, you'll know you have all the important stuff finished.

As long as there is anything RL on your list: Don't play. Do it. The faster you get the necessary stuff done, the better.

Balancing your free (game) time and your worktime will remain an important part of all your life, btw. So you could say "you are currently learning for life".

Also: get a girl! :p

Duran'del here:

I had a sudden epiphany today I've become obsessed with SWTOR. I've judged how "productive" a day is by judging how much TOR I've played, and the more time I spend on it, the more productive the day is. Its saddening. This obsession has had impacts on my real life- I forget to eat, to drink, to study, and sometimes to do homework.

I guess this obsession comes from the fact that my first "MMO" I played, LEGO Universe, died off one and a half years after its release. Now I guess I'm afraid the same will happen to SWTOR, and I subconsciously try to spend all of my peaking moments on it... I guess it doesn't matter in the end, but it matters to me, if it makes sense.

Does anyone have any advice? I got Lost Planet 3 yesterday, so I guess I could play that for a bit, and there's also Titanfall. Do any huge MMO players have any advice on how to help me get off this MMO addiction?

Get socially involved. Get a girl/or guy (21st century, whatever floats your boat). Develop a hobby. Find a passion and wean yourself slowly off, using it as an end of day reward. If you can't do that with access to SWTOR around then have somebody you trust change your password and email address. They'll hold onto it for however long (I suggest at least 3 months) you tell them to, hopefully with instructions to not give it to you however persuasively you beg. It's like any other addiction in that respect. You'll find your desire to play will lessen greatly the more time has passed.

It's kind of an odd duck. Almost everyone who has played MMOs has been addicted at some point. Most stop when they completely burn out and their life is not on the trajectory they planned. Burnout takes years and gradually becomes enmity and entitlement towards the game and the company that runs it. You might begin to clench your jaw as you play and become frustrated with every little thing. You might lose track of time, procrastinate, or frequently re-schedule appointments.

Frankly I would advise going cold turkey and entrusting your account to an understanding family member. Recognizing it as a problem is very important, but it's rare to turn that around into abstinence. Above all, remember that it's a game. It's not a replacement for life, it's something you do to unwind from life. As you move past the addiction, you'll get perspective. At that point you can decide whether SWTOR is something you can continue to unwind with or if it's something best left in the past.

It has such a remarkable co-morbidity with other psychological symptoms. These range from personality disorders like bipolar and depression to autistic spectrum disorders like aspergers. It's actually somewhat irresponsible in this respect that there aren't prominent warnings of addiction potential on the product. Consequently it's something of a black sheep even among the gamer culture that spawned it. You may want to seek counseling, but I'd suggest trying the above methods first.

Edited by Ryvirath

Set aside a chunk of time that is your video game time and limit the time you play video games to only that time. Maybe it's an hour or 2 before you go to bed or something. You don't get to play video games before that time and you have to go to bed at your bed time. Then this game becomes something to look forward to and you can make the best use of your time when you are playing.

As someone that has has gotten on the obsessive side of mmorpgs I can say that if limit your play time you tend to make sure the time you do spend playing counts. If you feel like you have accomplished something in game then it's easier to put it down. Like when I'm leveling it's a lot easier for me to walk away after I've finished the quests for that area. You can then plan your playing around good stopping points.

If you don't set limits to your play time then you tend to waste a lot of time doing nothing just because you want to be in game, and that's not healthy.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

While I'm definitely not going cold turkey, I am trying play other games alongside SWTOR. I'm trying to take breaks from the game occasionally, and I guess my obsession is mostly because I'm an Aspy- when I find something I like, I try to play it no matter what. I'm probably going to take a break from the game once a week and try a game or gamemode I've never played before, just so I can broaden my horizons.

I'm not very social, but I am trying to go to my school's social club after-scool every week and try to make a few friends aside from the few I already have.

My philosophy since I started playing MMOs 13+ years ago is that the moment I feel I have to play (for whatever reason) is the exact moment I know it's time for a break. Sometimes it's a day, others it's a week. The point is to get away from it for a while.

My philosophy since I started playing MMOs 13+ years ago is that the moment I feel I have to play (for whatever reason) is the exact moment I know it's time for a break. Sometimes it's a day, others it's a week. The point is to get away from it for a while.

I have to agree. It took 7 years of being addicted to MMOs (in my case Eve), to realize the real life comes first, and a 'need to play' is a distant second. Well said Psandak.

Edited by Mad_Magus

First method:

get really drunk and watch some movie or game cutscenes based on a completely different franchise( i suggest Mass Effect) that you might fancy.

being drunk should amplify the effect of the film and reboot your brain.

the next day you won't be in the mood to play any games because of the terrible hangover,and 1 day will pass without any craving for swtor.

the day after that try out the new franchise you liked,from which the movie you watched while drunk is based on

this should balance things out and you will spend less time on 1 single franchise and less time on the pc

Also liking more than 1 franchise burns you out because you don't allow yourself by default to get too much into a single one.This means you will find yourself bored sitting on the PC and wanting to do something else.

Second method:

get a girlfriend. Getting laid,without a serious girlfriend will just make you rationalize to yourself spending even more time on the game. A relationship is paramount.

Third method:

Get really drunk using different types of alcohol for the ultimate nausia and hangover, and then while drunk listen to your favorite swtor soundtracks and cutscenes in order to get nerdgasms.

After this experience you will associate the game on some level and especially the music, with the terrible nausia you felt while drunk and while in hangover.Which means it will be less likely to fall into the obsession circle again.

If the first time doesn't work.Get drunk again.It will work in the end.

Fourth method:

Start working out seriously.With a program and all.The endorphins your body produce will make you feel weird spending too much time on the PC.

the purpose of these methods is for you to get tired of swtor or any franchise by natural means-meaning you will suddenly not feel like playing,just like that,by yourself.

Forcing yourself not to play cold turkey ,while craving it deeply and thinking about the game whole day is a crappy method.

These methods are all equally valid and are tried and true.

Edited by Kaedusz

First method:

get really drunk and watch some movie or game cutscenes based on a completely different franchise( i suggest Mass Effect) that you might fancy.

the next day you won't be in the mood to play any games because of the terrible hangover,and 1 day will pass without any craving for swtor.

the day after that try out the new franchise you liked,from which the movie you watched while drunk is based on

this should balance things out and you will spend less time on 1 single franchise and less time on the pc

Also liking more than 1 franchise burns you out because you don't allow yourself by default to get too much into a single one.This means you will find yourself bored sitting on the PC and wanting to do something else.

Second method:

get a girlfriend. Getting laid,without a serious girlfriend will just make you rationalize to yourself spending even more time on the game. A relationship is paramount.

Third method:

Get really drunk using different types of alcohol for the ultimate nausia and hangover, and then while drunk listen to your favorite swtor soundtracks and cutscenes in order to get nerdgasms.

After this experience you will associate the game on some level and especially the music, with the terrible nausia you felt while drunk and while in hangover.Which means it will be less likely to fall into the obsession circle again.

Fourth method:

Start working out seriously.With a program and all.The endorphins your body produce will make you feel weird spending too much time on the PC.

the purpose of these methods is for you to get tired of swtor or any franchise by natural means-meaning you will suddenly not feel like playing,just like that,by yourself.

Forcing yourself not to play cold turkey ,while craving it deeply and thinking about the game whole day is a crappy method.

I'm way too young for all four of those methods. I'd have to wait around 5-6 years on order to drink, and I know it sounds weird, but I have no in consuming alcohol or getting a girlfriend.

But thanks for the advice and concern. I've been playing different games along with this one, doing my homework, and setting goals for myself while I play. Its been working out quite well.

Get socially involved. Get a girl/or guy (21st century, whatever floats your boat). Develop a hobby. Find a passion and wean yourself slowly off, using it as an end of day reward.

I agree to that.

You could also uninstall the whole game if you have the feeling that this totally takes over you.

With uninstalling you have created a high barrier for yourself to get into the game again.

You should take care to fill the "hole" you get then with something more socially oriented. Board games, for example. Or sports.

My advice is to 'work' 8/9 hours a day, this includes any school/university/lessons you have, doing any homework you have either at a library or in the living room. if you live at home you can simply work untill your mother/father comes home from work.

after that you are 'free' to do whatever you want, just take care to do some homework in the weekends as well.

:D in essence, just regulate the hours you play, if needed you can put a timer on how long you want (or are allowed) to play.

Extra: print some motivational posters and put them around your desk to motivate yourself!

Extra(2): listen to SWTOR soundtracks while doing homework or anything you don't really want to do (or Star wars music, whatever you like best)

I'm way too young for all four of those methods. I'd have to wait around 5-6 years on order to drink, and I know it sounds weird, but I have no in consuming alcohol or getting a girlfriend.

But thanks for the advice and concern. I've been playing different games along with this one, doing my homework, and setting goals for myself while I play. Its been working out quite well.

You might be surprised. I actually met my wife through a SWTOR guild teamspeak. She healed, I tanked. Moved across the country to see each other and two months from our first warzone together we moved in. Neither of us plays more than casually now. There's another competitive sport that we prefer...

Here is what I do:

Use the MMO as a reward. Do you still have homework to do? Yes? Playtime is not now. Have you had dinner yet? No? Playtime is not now. Etc.

If you use it as a reward for actually getting your stuff done, your playtime will be that much more pleasurable because, in the back of your head, you'll know you have all the important stuff finished.

:ph_good_post:

I can fully endorse this method of using your game time as a reward. I'd never get anything done if I didn't use SWTOR as the carrot in front of my nose to get stuff completed. As much as I despise having to work and earn money instead of playing video games, I know I'd despise living in the street with no money even more. No money or home means no game time after all...

Join a sports team. Practices, meets, competitions all take some time and commitments so that will force you to focus elsewhere. Plus you get in better shape, have more energy, reduce the need for corrective eyewear.

MMOs should be a way to unwind after the day, not the focus of your life. I don't know how those streamers who live off gaming do it.

Edited by Projawa

First method:

Second method:

Third method:

Fourth method:

What are you trying to do, kill him?

Here is what I do:

This right here.

When I first started playing the game, I was in University, and I would only allow myself 1-2 hours at night right before dead, and only if all my schoolwork was done.

Kept it under control, let myself play more when I had less schoolwork, grades didn't suffer at all.

When I started working though, pretty much all I did outside of work was sleep and play MMOs... (didnt work out much because I had a physical labour job so was too tired to work out or do anything else for that matter and got enough movement throughout the day).

Last semester, I would only play SWTOR 1 day a week, and play like 5-6 hours that day, and not at all the rest of the week.

I probably play way too much now, now that Im back in university. SWTORs definitely been cutting into my sleep and a little bit into my studying lately. But what can I say, Ive taking a liking to arenas.

But my current rule is no SWTOR before supper. So I study until supper, which is usually like 8pm or so for me, and then study for about 1 hour after supper then SWTOR. And no games until Im back from the gym on work out days. You could do something like a hard rule, no SWTOR before _ PM and stick to it. So you are forced to do other things until then.

Set hard rules about limits on your playtime. Good luck kid, don't let it get too out of control. Moderation in all things, remember.

Edited by Z-ToXiN

Join a sports team. Practices, meets, competitions all take some time and commitments so that will force you to focus elsewhere. Plus you get in better shape, have more energy, reduce the need for corrective eyewear.

MMOs should be a way to unwind after the day, not the focus of your life. I don't know how those streamers who live off gaming do it.

This is the path I follow too, except even then, the game doesn't have to stop as only a place to unwind.

Since it produces no actual physical strain in comparison to an actual physical sport, the competitive replication can help you improve not only in your real life, but also in your gaming capability. Learning important lessons in how to better yourself in game can also help in your sport, as there are many things I have improved my collegiate running capability by understanding "potential is unlimited", which I developed more in video games than anywhere else in life. As well as the vice versa, as "consistency is key" and to "last for as long as you can when you're outmatched" type of mindsets came more from my running career and has made quite a bit of an impact in how well I do in the game over anything else I have learned about classes or specs.

On top of that, joining a sport at your age (21-5/6 = 15-16 years old) is still very doable and a great place to develop friendships that will last longer than high school is on a sports team, which will also help you have a way to cut yourself off from the game. A common high schooler mentality is to place "quantity" before "quality", and it's an easy trap to get roped into. So don't think necessarily having more friends will help, as having more "real" and "lasting" friends is the true answer many people mess up on in this stage of life.

And give it time, the desire for a girlfriend will arrive sooner than you think ;)

Edited by ZooMzy

First off, props for realizing you need a change, I was in that exact situation at your age with SWG. Pretty solid advice (for the most part :p) in this thread for branching out. Physical activity is very important, plus it's addictive in a good way. ;) If you're competitive, look into a team based sports game you're interested in and give it a try. There are tons of rec leagues around the country that require little or no experience to go out and have fun with, plus that's another social interaction point where you can meet new friends and potential interests. If you're like me and not really competitive, look at a physical activity that's more of a personal improvement kind of thing. My vices are running, martial arts and boxing. Any form of exercise does wonders for stress and self confidence.

Set specific times during the week that were traditionally TOR time for you for other activities and hold yourself accountable for following through. Be it study time at a coffee place, a sports practice, hanging out with some friends or w/e else you can think of. If you set the time don't blow it off for the game, hell at first I had to go in with the mindset of "just walk through the front door" because i'd keep trying to rationalize not doing something and going home. xD

Find another hobby or passion, that's not necessarily a physical activity. Study a different language, read some novels or non-fictions, learn how to fix something, etc etc. Not only will it be fun when you find what you like but it'll help you down the line in ways you might not expect.

There's tons of stuff out there man, way more than anyone's going to be able to suggest. Look at yourself and ask what kind of things you enjoy and start branching out. :) Good luck man.

Edited by Amaste

You might be surprised. I actually met my wife through a SWTOR guild teamspeak. She healed, I tanked. Moved across the country to see each other and two months from our first warzone together we moved in. Neither of us plays more than casually now. There's another competitive sport that we prefer...

LOL. Nice.

First method:

Second method:

Third method:

Fourth method:

This made me laugh...