Why is there no collision detection in our characters and NPCs?

Machine-Elf

Actually, now that I think about it, I wouldn't be at all surprised if SWTOR had been originally conceived from the ground up with collision-detection in mind. Think about it: Why else would almost every single one of its environments be so colossal in scope? Why is it that in the only areas of the game which are relatively small (comparatively) players are still not allowed to use their speeders? And why would the distance at which players can interact with in-game objects/NPCs be so disproportionately large?

It's called genius, folks! (only kidding... please don't flame :p)

Edited by Machine-Elf

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't think this would have to be explained, but yes, it is 360. That's why you make a circle around something. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circle And, as I say it being fun...it IS great fun!...to do it. It -sucks- to have it done to you. This is why it's for the greater good, to not have it in game. Not to mention the raid problems it can have.

Now, while other games that had this, you could just ignore the people and be able to walk through them...you really shouldn't have to.

Sorry, I'm not quite sure I understood this post. Mind clarifying a bit?

There is precisely ONE reason why I would love for collision detection to be implemented into the game: Smash monkey Jedi Knights and Sith Warriors would no longer be able to stand INSIDE my character model and AoE me with impunity, since they couldn't get so close as to error out the targeting system, leaving me with a "Cannot See Target" error message.

There is precisely ONE reason why I would love for collision detection to be implemented into the game: Smash monkey Jedi Knights and Sith Warriors would no longer be able to stand INSIDE my character model and AoE me with impunity, since they couldn't get so close as to error out the targeting system, leaving me with a "Cannot See Target" error message.

And that could be remedied by a patch that allows all of your character model to be included inside your LOS range, which would probably be easier to work than remapping the entirety of the game to include collision detection.

First, it's technically difficult to keep track of all traffic in real time. Second, can you imagine trying to get around the fleet with all the players running around in their giant star-trek style speeders? You would not be able to move. Third, how would you like to hit an oncoming speeder head-on?

These guys are having trouble getting a character to drink a glass of water in a realistic manner. Half the time their feet aren't on the ground or Bad Guys are dead three feet off the ground. Their hair looks like a shower cap at best. In short, they've got a long way to go to improve realism on the set.

Remote possibility? I think the video linked earlier pretty much smashes the idea of the possibility being remote. It has happened, it will happen, and I don't particularly want it to happen when there are many other things that could be worked on to improve realism without worrying about clipping. I.E. the "among-many-other-things" you yourself suggested in your team name title.

Just sayin.

Edited by CommunityDroidFR

Collision detection is a long-term maintenance headache, and it's better to have a system where you don't have to worry about it (especially in a multi-player game)

It's sort of like clipping issues: it's a long-term maintenance headache, and if you can it's better to try to build a system from the start that will not have that problem.

Collision detection is one of the best features in Warhammer Online, it brings in lots of PvP tactics, with tanks that actually "shield wall" tank, with "funnels of death" on choke points and so on.

It's also done in an easy yet practical way: out of PvP combat, collision is auto-turned off, when someone initiates PVP close enough (within ranged DPS radius), collision turns on and players can't intersect until the fight is over again.

Such technology is also readily available (if BW wanted to use it) as:

- Warhammer is now an EA game (sadly!)

- BW already used former Warhammer developers to design Ilum open world PvP and the WZs.

It's also done in an easy yet practical way: out of PvP combat, collision is auto-turned off, when someone initiates PVP close enough (within ranged DPS radius), collision turns on and players can't intersect until the fight is over again.

What all the people who don't want collision because of "collision griefing" have to know. I'd really like to know what they'd think of a similar system where collision is only activated in WZ and West of Ilum (for exemple).

Well, there was City of Heroes. Couldn't stand on a sidewalk in that game for a five minute AFK in that game without winding up several blocks over when I returned...

Never played it. In any case, some games are known to have implemented CD more ingeniously than others.

Well, there was City of Heroes. Couldn't stand on a sidewalk in that game for a five minute AFK in that game without winding up several blocks over when I returned...

Don't bother, i've listed them, he won't listen.

And that could be remedied by a patch that allows all of your character model to be included inside your LOS range, which would probably be easier to work than remapping the entirety of the game to include collision detection.
Like I said, that's the only reason. If they could fix that by some other means, then they can help themselves.