Is any crew skill actually handy besides bio?

FrostTrooper

I'm looking to do something other then Bio on my alt, but I'm struggling to find anything that is actually handy as the game progresses other then bio. Looking at the things that can be crafted, it looks like most are passed up by purples and oranges you get in FPs and what not.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but is there anything worth working on that will help my character (and other alts) as well as possibly make some credits?

I personally HATE crafting, I wish there was a vendor I could trade in resources to, for mods, gear and so on, but sadly, nope....anyway, I tend to just go with underworld trading and just send out spare companions to collect the metals and then sell them and considering how insanely high prices that crafters set for their armourings, it comes in handy to just be spending money on repairs and some minor greens for the companion, which are far more better priced then crafted blues seem to be 99% of the time.

I'm looking to do something other then Bio on my alt, but I'm struggling to find anything that is actually handy as the game progresses other then bio. Looking at the things that can be crafted, it looks like most are passed up by purples and oranges you get in FPs and what not.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but is there anything worth working on that will help my character (and other alts) as well as possibly make some credits?

For day to day use the simple answer is no. Arguably Cybertech grenades have some utility, but not much unless you're a PvP player.

Synthweaving, Armourmech, Armstech and Artifice are functionally useless especially on a char you intend to play heavily doubly so if you raid. They have no unique selling point meaning they're worth having on anything but crafting mule chars.

Edited by Beaunidle

For Armor, Synth, and Arms, you can RE endgame PVE gear shells to learn a custom schematic, but it is very difficult to collect worthwhile patterns. Campaign, Dread Guard, Arkanian, and Underworld are all learnable. Edited by DarthBuckets

I guess it really depends on what you consider "handy." For end game gear you are correct, it seems the Op-dropped items are better than what we can craft. However, I find I can still make credits selling the gear I craft on the GTN. I market for the "mid-range" characters (between lvl 20-40). They are the ones that are looking for gear that will help them through their game & will pay. But if that is not your bag, then going the profiteer path of collecting under world metals & Treasure Hunting gems is a good way to get money regardless of your game stage.

Cybertech can be useful while leveling for crafting armor and mods.

For day to day use the simple answer is no. Arguably Cybertech grenades have some utility, but not much unless you're a PvP player.

Synthweaving, Armourmech, Armstech and Artifice are functionally useless especially on a char you intend to play heavily doubly so if you raid. They have no unique selling point meaning they're worth having on anything but crafting mule chars.

Personally, I'm using my Armomech and Armstech all the time at end-game (my Artifice ain't 450 yet) - augments and kits. Not to mention leveling stuff (myself, alts and companions), end-game starter gear (Basic level), custom orange gear/weapons, etc. Don't spend millions or weeks on gear thanks to actually using my crafting professions instead of disregarding them all as "lul not biochem". Edited by Pietrastor

I got laughed at pre-2.0 for doing artifice as my main craft, but that quickly was replaced by shock when I started making literally millions of credits on relics alone. Then 2.0 launched, mat costs plunged from all the guilds that hoarded the mats dumping their vaults onto the GTN and within this last week, I've made 10mil on relics ALONE. Also tack in the new 2.0 colour crystals (black-purple, black-blue, black-red, etc.) and I've made roughly 12mil this week on them. Artifice sure pays MY bills and I laugh at the people who laughed at me as I rake in the credits. =)

Making credits is easy with any of the Crew Skills as long as you are smart about it.

Too often I see a niche not being served. I'll start serving that niche and while I may not make 1 million credits per sale, I will make 1 million credits with a number of sales.

Right up to the point that others jump in and start undercutting stupidly...

The moment that happens, I move on to the next niche. Most niches I find are because it is something I need for a character and I find that there are not a lot of those items being offered. The biggest problem always arises when others find that niche and start to deflate the prices way below the costs in time and materials.

In general, all crew skills are handy. It completely depends on what you are trying to do. If you are just PvPing, then Biochem is probably the only one that matters but if you are leveling multiple characters or trying to make credits then any of the crew skills has the ability to be handy.

If you are leveling a lot of alts i'd say cybertech is handy in that you can have armorings/mods ready for them.

For my characters these days i practically only pick up underworld trade and only do tier 1-4 metal missions and sell those on the GTN and then i'll usually get scavenging so i can have mats to create armorings/mods for future alts.

And then i'll save the 3rd spot for a random crew skill that i can work up to 450 for the achievements