1st Time Voted From a Flashpoint

Whenever I run a flashpoint as a tank or healer, before we begin I tell the team (if healer) that if dps pulls a mob I wont heal them they can die or leave I dont care there are to many dps'ers in this game. As a healer my main focus is keeping the tank alive. As a tank I will always protect the healer first and maintain my aggro. Dps are expendable.

If DPS pull aggro (on the main mobs the tank is trying to hold), it's the tank doing something wrong 90% of the time unless both DPS significantly outgear him. Otherwise the super geared DPS should be guarded to fix the problem, or the tank need to get better at his rotation. You should be able to hold it from anyone other than an unguarded powertech (due to lack of threat dump) even if they go all out.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is level 19... no class is any good at their role at 19.

Don't worry about it until at least 25, more like 30. If you have issues then, it is the person, but at 19 it is entirely the class not being complete.

I disagree with that. As a dps, your main job is to support the tank's main target and kill it asap. Your job isn't to go spastic all-out dps on something I only have smash and sunder aggro on, or to pull a non-aggro'd group. If the healer draws aggro from the tank or the tank can't get aggro on a far mob, by all means pick it up.

I disagree completely. As a tank, I can't stand it when I'm fighting a gold and a bunch of normals are out of my AOE range and taking no damage. The kill order for DPS should always be normal, silver, gold, elite. The tank should throw out some AOE taunts as often as possible but especially for Juggernaut tanks with a limited range, DPS should be taking care of the littles first at all times. There are many, many trash pulls where it is literally impossible for the tank to get agro on all of the normal trash mobs unless you run around super spastically hitting all of them. That is the job of DPS.

Of course DPS shouldn't pull a non-agro'd group, but they shouldn't be attacking the tank's main target til all the adds are down. :)

Half true; too often I see dps focusing a target that the tank hasn't even pulled or pulling before the tank does. When I'm on my jugg it's a problem, on my powertech not so much. On the rare occasion I mess up and use leap, get knocked back/stunned and the healer is getting mauled, I have no problems and usually thank the dps for picking it up and apologize for the pull. That is few and far between.

DPS attacking a group the tank didn't attack first is always bad form, I agree.

Edited by Beltane
more

I disagree with that. As a dps, your main job is to support the tank's main target and kill it asap.

I disagree with that. As a dps, your main job is to kill the enemy healer(s) then work your way up to the tank's main target by killing weak, normal, strong and champion level mobs.

We've been over the kill priority a million times on these forums and people STILL think they need to kill the tank's target. Stop doing it wrong, please.

Whenever I run a flashpoint as a tank or healer, before we begin I tell the team (if healer) that if dps pulls a mob I wont heal them they can die or leave I dont care there are to many dps'ers in this game. As a healer my main focus is keeping the tank alive. As a tank I will always protect the healer first and maintain my aggro. Dps are expendable.

My main is a healer and this blanket statement is just plain wrong.

Some DPS - yes they are bad agro monsters who need to be told to behave sensibly.

But no DPS can run a flashpoint without taking some damage. In certain flashpoints and ops you will encounter different mechanics such as agro tables resetting during the fight or bosses that cannot be taunted. Will you refuse to heal them?

If I was in a flashpoint with someone with such a blanket bad attitude, I would vote kick you. I have in fact vote kicked a healer with a bad attitude on Kaon under Seige once.

Do not consider yourself above common courtesy and sense just because others depend on you to keep them alive during a game.

I disagree with that. As a dps, your main job is to kill the enemy healer(s) then work your way up to the tank's main target by killing weak, normal, strong and champion level mobs.

We've been over the kill priority a million times on these forums and people STILL think they need to kill the tank's target. Stop doing it wrong, please.

This ^^

As a healer I never have a problem throwing heals to dps who are killing trash mobs or killing mobs that are attacking me. Those are the situations where them getting aggro is completely reasonable. I dont know why but many pugs seem to still not realize that a healer shouldnt be getting aggro if all mobs have been properly engaged.

I wont even start arguments about not guarding healer anymore because with all the nonsense aggro going around I seem to get hit more times than I should, so may as well play it safe.

Ive never voted to kick someone for bad play before, for need rolling everything yes, but for bad play, I almost always try and keep it going and work out a strategy that somehow results in a success.

There's no shortage of babies that play this game, as well as other MMO's. People need to grow up, develop some patience and learn what it takes to be a leader. The key for these sissies is to help teach and educate the group. Bioware needs to partner up with the Kleenex corporation and offer tissue coupons on the website. This just makes me sick and not want to even bother playing these games. Bottom line it's a toy, these kids need to remember that. Go watch a documentary on what it's like on the frontline of a war, or what it's like to be so poor you have to survive off mayonaise sandwiches, helps put it into perspective. Go cry to the man in the mirror, he wants to hear about it.

This times 10. Game is full of sniffy little kids that think the game is important. Play it, have fun but get a life with the cries about things not going there way.

Edited by mcslack

My main is a healer and this blanket statement is just plain wrong.

Some DPS - yes they are bad agro monsters who need to be told to behave sensibly.

But no DPS can run a flashpoint without taking some damage. In certain flashpoints and ops you will encounter different mechanics such as agro tables resetting during the fight or bosses that cannot be taunted. Will you refuse to heal them?

If I was in a flashpoint with someone with such a blanket bad attitude, I would vote kick you. I have in fact vote kicked a healer with a bad attitude on Kaon under Seige once.

Do not consider yourself above common courtesy and sense just because others depend on you to keep them alive during a game.

perhaps you should read the post a little bit more carefully, I distinctly remember typing " If dps pulls mob I let them die" I do this because I respect the trinity we are all bound by in flashpoints. In flashpoints and ops we must function as a team I have no time for a dps who thinks he is invincible, and I've encountered to many dps'ers who disregard common courtesy and sense only to display ignorance and stupidity for which there is no excuse given this website and the extensive forum posts on flashpoints and ops runs. Thank you for the reply Elyssandra.

Edited by Vallon

If dps does the initial pull i guess you should say. It´s perfectly reasonable for dps to pull agro of trashmobs. Most time the tank jumps in and saves the stupid dps who just jumped first headon into a trash group. Íf not he dies when i´m healing. And when i´m tanking i go by the rule, you pull it, you tank it. So if a dps jumps first in a group of trash i´ll wait untill he has tanked it or died from it.

If healer starts healing i´ll have to jump in and save the healer ofc, because the dps only fokus on singletarget. I´ll probably tell the healer not to heal stupid dps and the whole group will go "LOL, it´s just trash, it´s easy, relax man"

That´s when i´ll just leave and take a break from tanking again.

The only problem s that swtor is so easy that 9 times out of 10 the dps realy can solo a group of trash. I tend to just leave on my tank if the group dont let me pull. In leveling FP i´ll tell the group to let me pull, and if some stupid dps doesn´t listen i´ll tell him again. If that doesn´t help i´ll leave.

Yes it´s not that it´s hard to handle when a dps does the pull. It´s just alot easier when the tank does it. And tanks wants easy groups just as much as the dps.

And when i´m tanking i go by the rule, you pull it, you tank it. So if a dps jumps first in a group of trash i´ll wait untill he has tanked it or died from it.

That's the only way to go about one's business.