Wearing Heavy Armor is actually a handicap in this game.

Individual

Why? The other classes that wear both light and medium have far better defensive cool downs. The only time it's benifical to have is when you're taking. Besides that, wearing heavy armor as dps sucks. All the defensive cool downs the other classes get on short timers far out weighs having better armor - espcially when some of the classes have abilities that midgate most of your dmg abilities. I'm a BH and all I get is a shield I can pop ever 2 mins for a cooldown, thats it...

I know tanks will benifit from the heavy armor, but the DPS people need better defensive cool downs to compete with some of these other classes. I'm not saying we should get something op, but something on a shorter timer would be nice.

Are you talking about for leveling or end-game flashpoints / operations?

I ask because once you hit level 50 and start progressing in end-game, you should be part of a group that includes the Trinity. Played properly, your dps character should be taking minimal damage, as most of should be directed towards the tank(s).

Yes it does seem a bit strange that Marauder has a stronger defense than DPS Juggernaut.

I'd say that a Marauder has better defensive cooldowns than *tank* Juggernaut. Cloak of Pain uptime to mitigation is much better than Invincible. Undying Rage is better than Endure Pain in almost every way imaginable. Not even taking into account Obfuscate which does not affect Ops bosses and Camo because it drops aggro (but mitigates 50% of a heavy nontargeted attack).

As for the original post, yeah. Heavy armour is overrated. Realistically, raw armour bonus is about 5% between heavy and medium.

Edited by Helig

rofl... My avatar has a heavy armored sport bra. Even though the sports bra provides great defense, the dps I am getting from lightsaber strikes is almost nonexistent. I am currently playing a Sith Juggernaut. I get more dps from my Jedi Sage and Sith Sorcerer.

I wish I had a heavy armored sports bra in real life.

*shrugs*

At least I look good on the battlefield.

Edited by Linyivee

Well seeing as how a DPS should be worried about damage output and not their defensive cooldowns, I don't see the issue here.

As an advanced class with a tank tree, you'll gain some naturally tank like abilities, however their effectiveness is usually improved via the tanking skill tree. The DPS trees of the Tank classes do usually have 1 or 2 passive skills that you can invest some points into, in order to make up for the time length for the cooldowns on some their defensive abilities.

However, Heavy Armor does a lot for damage mitigation. Try checking the % of Damage Reduction that you get from your armor next time you play on a DPS with Med, or Light armor, and then compare that to you a DPS that uses Heavy Armor.

Either way, if you're playing DPS, then worry about killing things FASTER. Not SURVIVING. Your Survival will be guarantee'd at end game if you let the tanks do their jobs.

rofl... My avatar has a heavy armored sport bra. Even though the sports bra provides great defense, the dps I am getting from lightsaber strikes is almost nonexistent. I am currently playing a Sith Juggernaut. I get more dps from my Jedi Sage and Sith Sorcerer.

I wish I had a heavy armored sports bra in real life.

*shrugs*

At least I look good on the battlefield.

You're doing something wrong.

Why? The other classes that wear both light and medium have far better defensive cool downs. The only time it's benifical to have is when you're taking. Besides that, wearing heavy armor as dps sucks. All the defensive cool downs the other classes get on short timers far out weighs having better armor - espcially when some of the classes have abilities that midgate most of your dmg abilities. I'm a BH and all I get is a shield I can pop ever 2 mins for a cooldown, thats it...

I know tanks will benifit from the heavy armor, but the DPS people need better defensive cool downs to compete with some of these other classes. I'm not saying we should get something op, but something on a shorter timer would be nice.

Here is a list of all the defensive cooldowns a sorc has in an alphabetical order:

-

End

Where are these great def cd's you spoke of?

(I know that we get one with 2.0 which in reality is there to take us completely out of combat for it's duration, you could even say it's a selfapplied cc)

Edited by Never_Hesitate

Here is a list of all the defensive cooldowns a sorc has in an alphabetical order:

-

End

Where are these great def cd's you spoke of?

(I know that we get one with 2.0 which in reality is there to take us completely out of combat for it's duration, you could even say it's a selfapplied cc)

Don't know... Let me think... A healing class... with arguably the best absorb spell in the game... Seriously ? We don't have def cds ? Force bubble, unnatural pres, plus the abilities to stay up longer than a tank (while doing no dmg and very little threat, I admit...) ?

Well seeing as how a DPS should be worried about damage output and not their defensive cooldowns, I don't see the issue here.

I LOL.

Good dps and good group players worry about defensive cooldowns too. The game isn't overly complicated, hitting a defensive cooldown at the opportune time can really spare the healer some grief and you know allow the healers to actually concentrate their resources on the Tank. Which is win, win for everyone.

Don't know... Let me think... A healing class... with arguably the best absorb spell in the game... Seriously ? We don't have def cds ? Force bubble, unnatural pres, plus the abilities to stay up longer than a tank (while doing no dmg and very little threat, I admit...) ?

how exactly should a sorc be able to stand longer than a tank? (except for the 10s every 3min we will get)

The best absorb ability, I hope you don't think about the static barrier, because that's just a heal which doesn't scale/scales very little with the stats you're having.

unnatural pres let's you live one more hit, so I recognize that

how exactly should a sorc be able to stand longer than a tank? (except for the 10s every 3min we will get)

The best absorb ability, I hope you don't think about the static barrier, because that's just a heal which doesn't scale/scales very little with the stats you're having.

unnatural pres let's you live one more hit, so I recognize that

This. Static Barrier lets me, sometimes, flee around a pillar to self-heal. Unnatural Perseverance usually has the same effect. Bubbles are kinda meh and only serve as escape mechanisms.

>Wearing Heavy Armor is actually a handicap in this game.

This isn't a problem with heavy armor per se. It's a problem with how the *devs* perceive heavy armor to give a significant advantage and thus counter-nerf heavy armor classes. The OP mentions the Jugg v. Mara case. But the most notorious example is Merc dps v. Sniper. It's simply a lack of understanding about the game by the devs.

This. Static Barrier lets me, sometimes, flee around a pillar to self-heal. Unnatural Perseverance usually has the same effect. Bubbles are kinda meh and only serve as escape mechanisms.

So you're saying it doesn't allow you to stand longer, but to run longer.

The sorcs only hope of survival is to be constantly on the move and even then it's survival chances are low agains most classes.