Subscriber Appreciation Details?

Kaywinnit

Good questions! The title will cost 10 CC and the title will unlock per character. There is also a collections unlock associated with it which will cost 5 CC. Also for those who 10 CC is "too rich for my blood" the item, like all CM items, will be tradeable so you will likely see some popping up on your local GTN.

-eric

I really don't get the point in charging 10 cc and 5 cc for an unlock. It just seem utterly and completely pointless. Just make it a clickable terminal for subscribers only on the fleet somewhere and be done with it. Dear god....who thought this idea up? Seriously. You guys at Bioware really fumble the ball WAY too much. Other MMO's like Guild Wars 2 do fantastic and fun things,and do a good job at it......try looking to them for examples as to how to direct and give with your game. I am serious. Guild Wars 2 does monthly events and always has something going on with rewards and all kinds, and that game is NOT subscriber based. Yet, in SWTOR we get what....an event every few months and nothing else really....for 15 bucks a month. They get more and they dont pay a fee, we get less and we pay. Can you see where I am going here? Yes. Your failing and with each new fumble like this I just want to quit more and more.

Edited by DarthVengeant

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If EAware considers Makeb a proper expansion, then it comes as no suprise that this measley "bribe" is considered an appreciation to subscribers. Mere 500 CC (talk about a unique reward!) and a completely nonsensical title ... At this point I pretty much believe they're making sure only a handful of people still play this game, they've been running a super duper plan of driving away players since release and this just proves it LOL

I don't know but... I think fans should really get worried. For quite some time, BIoawre seems to be pushing the Cartel Market a lot. Why can't Bioware think of something to appreciate the subscribers where it will not be about the Cartel Market? There are other ways out there... like a speeder, or a content...

because while BW may like to create games, EA likes to make $$$

This "gift" is about as unimaginative as it can possibly get. Here... have some play money that you already get monthly anyway! WHEE!

Wow, I can't fathom how much thought and effort you put into that! I'm feeling really appreciated. :mad:

I'm gonna go tell my wife her butt looks good and see if it gets me anywhere. No foot massage, no flowers, no dinner, no gifts. Just a slap on the fanny and a wolf whistle. Ought to work about as well as these 500cc's... :rolleyes:

I figured I'd get back to the community with the results.

It didn't work, obviously. She laughed at me and said, "You're cute," and went right on about her business like nothing had happened.

But at least she didn't stab me or anything. :eek:

Think that's the result EAWare was aiming towards when they gave us this brilliantly thoughtful and effort-intense appreciation gift? I mean a chuckle and a smile rather than stabby stabby... :rolleyes:

Edited by DarthTHC

I figured I'd get back to the community with the results.

It didn't work, obviously. She laughed at me and said, "You're cute," and went right on about her business like nothing had happened.

But at least she didn't stab me or anything. :eek:

Oh, she appreciated it more than she would ever appreciate flowers or any other gift, trust me on that.

Women are mysterious creatures but if there's one thing I know about them is that unexpected flattery can go a looooong way with them. And that they never, EVER forget what you say to them. :eek:

Edited by TheNahash

This "gift" is about as unimaginative as it can possibly get. Here... have some play money that you already get monthly anyway! WHEE!

So you normally get this extra 500 CC every month already, do you? Fascinating.

Wow, I can't fathom how much thought and effort you put into that! I'm feeling really appreciated. :mad:

So you would feel more appreciated if you had receive nothing. Got it.

I'm gonna go tell my wife her butt looks good and see if it gets me anywhere. No foot massage, no flowers, no dinner, no gifts. Just a slap on the fanny and a wolf whistle. Ought to work about as well as these 500cc's... :rolleyes:

You're not BWEA's wife. At least I assume you're not. And yeah, telling your wife her butt looks good should get you somewhere. If not, there's something wrong with you or your wife.

The only part of your post which makes sense is your use of quotes around "gift," since the 500 CC are indeed not a gift. Gifts do not come with requirements or conditions.

Edited by branmakmuffin

So you normally get this extra 500 CC every month already, do you? Fascinating.

So you would feel more appreciated if you had receive nothing. Got it.

You're not BWEA's wife. At least I assume you're not. And yeah, telling your wife her butt looks good should get you somewhere. If not, there's something wrong with you or your wife.

The only part of your post which makes sense is your use of quotes around "gift," since the 500 CC are indeed not a gift. Gifts do not come with requirements or conditions.

You're pretty good at missing the point, eh.

BWEA advertised this. Hyped it up. SUBSCRIBER APPRECIATION COMING SOON, YO!

They set an expectation that it was going to be something we would appreciate. Normally when people or companies do that to me, I expect something different. Something new. Something I can tell that thought and effort went into.

This is none of those things. It's a small pile of cartel coins that they're putting on top of the other small pile of cartel coins that I was already getting this month anyway.

That's not different. Or new. And it sure as hell required no thought.

You suggest this should make us feel appreciated? It makes me smirk at them. It makes me think they're not trying at all. Which, when you think about it, makes me think they don't really appreciate me all that much if they're willing to put as close to no thought and effort into it as corporately possible.

It's pathetic, really. They'd have done better to have never hyped anything, never advertised customer appreciation, and never done anything.

At least then they wouldn't look like pathetically uncreative and lazy buffoons.

Edited by DarthTHC

Is this a one time deal or will this bonus be added to our monthly stipend from now on? I didn't see that answered in the staff posts on this thread but if it's already been addressed sorry for asking again.

While something a bit more unique would have been good, I'm happy with this subscriber only grant at the moment. My hope is that this isn't a one shot deal. I don't think 500 bonus CCs is much better than the 600 I'm already getting each month, but it is appreciated and I certainly will find a use for it.

I'd love to see subscribers get, say, a permanent percentage increase to credit rewards and Rep. Or an increased chance for a schematic on reverse engineering. I would feel very appreciated if that were the case. And you wouldn't be taking anything away from your F2P players, just letting those of us who have been loyal subscribers to this game for over a year and a half now know that we are still your MVPs. Because it's starting to feel more like we're just a nuisance preventing you from making this game exclusively F2P. :(

Completely agree. I've been a supporter of this game since Oct. 2008, even to the point of being called a fanboy quite a few times. But this is quite frankly a slap in the face. Bioware, if you really want to show your appreciation, you need to try harder. I was really hoping for something that you couldn't get with just CCs, something that would make me say "this is why I'm happy to subscribe to this game". 500 CCs is not that.

"Here's a free $5"

"This is a slap in the face"

"...."

You're pretty good at missing the point, eh.

BWEA advertised this. Hyped it up. SUBSCRIBER APPRECIATION COMING SOON, YO!

They set an expectation that it was going to be something we would appreciate. Normally when people or companies do that to me, I expect something different. Something new. Something I can tell that thought and effort went into.

This is none of those things. It's a small pile of cartel coins that they're putting on top of the other small pile of cartel coins that I was already getting this month anyway.

That's not different. Or new. And it sure as hell required no thought.

You suggest this should make us feel appreciated? It makes me smirk at them. It makes me think they're not trying at all. Which, when you think about it, makes me think they don't really appreciate me all that much if they're willing to put as close to no thought and effort into it as corporately possible.

It's pathetic, really. They'd have done better to have never hyped anything, never advertised customer appreciation, and never done anything.

At least then they wouldn't look like pathetically uncreative and lazy buffoons.

Exactly what I've been saying since before we actually got anything.

It's nice that we get a few extra coins, but it doesn't show appreciation, definitely not after it being over-hyped this much. To think that there was some official post or quote saying that it was 2.1 that was supposed to focus on subscribers and actually contained ONLY cartel content. That's why they felt the need to promise us this gift in the first place.

That we just get coins tells me they probably hit their own deadline without doing anything, are utter idiots, forced to this crap by EA (no excuse), are trying to bribe us with a few measly coins, or multiple of the before mentioned. Could be something else maybe but can't possibly be far off, I'm sure the developers / representatives aren't all to blame, so this is the company and it's image... or what's left of it.

Is this a one time deal or will this bonus be added to our monthly stipend from now on? I didn't see that answered in the staff posts on this thread but if it's already been addressed sorry for asking again.

We're supposed to get something similar (but a little different) around the end of the month. Since we got 500 cartel coins this time, then we should get anywhere between 1-499 or 501+ cartel coins. What else can they possibly give us if not that without making it something not similar.

I do hope they break that "similar" part of the promise and this time actually give something 100% not cartel crap related.

i gotta say, there is no downside for a subscriber receiving extra CCs from bioware. it could have been different but it wasn't, and in the grad scheme of things, it's a nice gift. there is no point complaining.

pretty much everything they've done has been strengthen the cartel market, and get subscribers who don't spend extra to feel they need to. this is just another example of that. i'm not complaining, just saying what it is, which is fine and still a nice gift. getting extra CCs is better than not getting extra CCs.

i kind of think EA has some sort of mark-to-market type accounting system that lets them release profits to their investors, which counts CCs as real money, and they don't have to publicly release their accounting methods. i don't know whether they're reporting that we spent more, since there is extra money in the game now, or if they're showing a loss, since it cost them money to give us a gift. either way, i would imagine anything involving gifting CCs is an accounting trick.

for people who are upset with the appearance that they've given up on the game and are focusing only on the cartel market (kind of the whole thing with the cathar cartel update), giving people more CCs without associated new content isn't really appreciation, it's kind of like telling us you aren't listening. but then, maybe it was other people you were listening to, and as said before, having extra cartel coins are still better than not having extra cartel coins.

"Here's a free $5"

"...."

^

You're leaving out the big picture though. No I don't agree that this is a slap in the face. I fall in the camp of "hey, better than nothing. Thanks!" But the feeling is understandable.

You need to add a few lines ahead of your imagined convo:

"Here's a fun game. You'll love it. Just give us $15 a month."

"OK wow, this is fun. Hope you're enjoying my $15 a month."

"We are, thanks. Hey! We think it would be fun to let other people have it for free, but don't worry. It will be way better for you. Trust us."

"...Well, OK. As long as it will be way better for me."

"OK great. Oh just a heads up, we're adding some fun stuff into the game. We're going to let you and the folks who don't pay to play have equal access to it. That way it stays fun for everybody. It's still going to be way better for you though. Trust us."

"...That's fine I guess, as long as its going to be way better for me. How will that happen again?"

"We'll let you have a little bit of the stuff the free players can have for free."

"...stuff the free players have for free...OK well I guess that makes sense. Wait a little bit of it? You mean all of it right?

"Nah, we don't want the Free players to get upset. But it's still better for you right?"

"Well yeah I guess. I mean, I can't really argue that getting more than a free player is bad or else I'd look like an idiot. So I guess this must be a good thing over all. I sure wish I felt more appreciated though. Something about this doesn't sit right with me."

"No worries pretty soon, you're gonna feel appreciated. Get excited. 'Cuz bro. This is gonna be cool."

"OK great! What is it?"

"..."

"um...any word on that cool appreciation thing?"

"..."

"hey um...still feeling pretty under appreciated here. Starting to second guess why I even bother subscribing."

"..."

"Come on anything? All these guys have all the same cool stuff I have? Can't I get some acknowledgement that I'm a loyal, dedicated, invested customer that maybe these guys won't be able to get?"

"Here's a free $5"

"...."

That's more accurate...

Edited by Axe_Faktor

"Here's a free $5"

"...."

i agree with the above poster that this is incomplete.

"here's a free $5. that you can only spend in the cartel market. we're giving you this because we stopped updating the game you're paying $15/mo for. since we are still updating the cartel market, you can have fun buying crap like new haircuts."

"Here's a free $5"

"...."

There's two sides to this. I think you need to look at things from their perspective first. Last I heard, there were how many subscribers... 1.5m? I don't know, but lets just say that's the number. That means they gave away 7.5 million dollars. Now ask yourself this, do you really think they're going to give away any more? I don't. Yet 500 Cartel Coins isn't a huge deal. I personally find it as a nice little boost and don't really find myself wishing I got anythng more, but more is better than less.

That's why we need to look at this from the other -- our side. Obviously we already have, but not, perhaps, in the right ways. It's clear that more Cartel Coins will not only fail to satisfy the players, but also cost Bioware way too much money. While time machines are convenient, we don't happen to have one on hand. Thus, we can only brainstorm how they could better handle this the next time, or perhaps salvage something from these ideas and try to give the Subscriber Appreciation a little shove in the right direction.

I think that money would have been better spent on developers making subscriber-specific dyes, a crystal color perhaps, maybe a mount, a subscriber-only event, something. I personally am rather content in my sub, and do not plan on ever unsubscribing unless they do something incredibly daft. So I speak on behalf of the other, less-satisfied subscribers. Clearly, while this "Appreciation" may have come at significant cost to Bioware, it missed the mark. Additionally, relating it to the Cartel Market, which is already known to be dispised by subscribers, is almost like a slap in the face. Subscribers already get Cartel Coins.

A 500 CC bonus is better than none, but it's certainly not what the subscribers want to see. We want ingame stuff. Maybe some subscriber-only content. Unique subscriber dyes. New mounts. New crystals. Want to know the secret to making subscribers happy? Don't relate your appreciations to the Cartel Market. Ever.

I repeat, I am content with my 500 CC. I'm not speaking for myself. This is what I've gathered from other players. I would recommend you spend some time reading this, Bioware.

Edited by idnewton

Why should they work harder? It's obvious that nothing they do will be a good enough reward to people like you.

That's because Bioware dpesn't put any real effort into things like this. The end product speaks for itself, this "subscriber appreciation" thing they kept hyping is just more proof of that. As if a title and free cartel coins was really worth the hype? NOT!. A complete and utter let down, which is nothing new anymore to be honest. Where as in games like Guild Wars 2 most people are happy and enjoy everything done because it is quality and real effort put into it (events pretty much every month and constant things going on in the game).....without a monthly fee. So, its possible for Bioware to follow suit considering we pay them a monthly fee....they just don't want to because they would rather add more cartel crap and call a planet full of dailies an "expansion".

So, the end result is people unsubing and any appreciation and respect Bioware once had dying off. It's fixable, they just don't want to.

Edited by DarthVengeant

And we were all waiting for it.

I wonder if those people would consider 1000 CC two slaps in the face.

I think you're missing the point. I think many subscribers resent the fact that CCs are part of the game at all, or at the very least, they don't understand why they, as loyal paying customers, should be expected to use them. They want to feel unique and appreciated, and like their investment means something. And all they get is a little of the thing that represents the polar opposite of that.

If you went to an office party with your wife, and made out with every woman in the room, but made out with her a lot more, do you think she'd feel more appreciated than the other women?

Oooh, so that e-mail with the 500 CC was the Subscribers Appreciation gift!?!

Good that I read this thread. Because I got this mail, saw the 500 CC and my thought was: "Hm, why do I only get 500 CC this month? Usually it is 525 CC. It must be because I just deleted the security key app. I should set it up again to get 25 CC more again next month. No, wait. I don't buy CM stuff anyway, because it does not interest me and I got all useful legacy perks already, so forget it [delete e-mail]."

This much did I feel appreciated by this one-time-grant.

(Yes, it's nice that they give something to us subs, but it doesn't show the least bit of love for us paying customers.)

500 extra cc is never a bad thing. I would have liked a full suit of elite gear but this will do just fine :)

Yes, but is it a good thing? We as subscribers have been conditioned to accept things that are "not bad." Does anyone else think that we should be able to say things are good, great, or awesome as a subscriber instead of "not bad?"

i agree with the above poster that this is incomplete.

"here's a free $5. that you can only spend in the cartel market. we're giving you this because we stopped updating the game you're paying $15/mo for. since we are still updating the cartel market, you can have fun buying crap like new haircuts."

They didn't stop updating it. 2.3 contains real content. A daily area. A new event. And new flash points. And new flash point tech.

But yeah, "here's a free $5". If you think about that, that's $5 * 500,000 (subscribers) = $1,250,000. That's a significant chunk of change. Imagine what they could have done if they spent that $1.25 million on creating something interesting for us subscribers instead of taking the lazy way out and giving us Cartel Coins.

Of course it doesn't actually work that way because it's not a real $1.25 million they're giving us, but still... :rolleyes:

But yeah, "here's a free $5". If you think about that, that's $5 * 500,000 (subscribers) = $1,250,000. That's a significant chunk of change. Imagine what they could have done if they spent that $1.25 million on creating something interesting for us subscribers instead of taking the lazy way out and giving us Cartel Coins.

In other words, exactly what I just said. LOL :rolleyes:

500cc was kinda disappointing :/ Why not include free month of game time as well?

we get 500 every month, isn't this amount over due for a review since the game has turned vastly towards the cartel market?

Edited by avimeso
added ore

500cc was kinda disappointing :/ Why not include free month of game time as well?

we get 500 every month, isn't this amount over due for a review since the game has turned vastly towards the cartel market?

Good point ^

This number was OK in the beginning, but the majority of exciting items on the cartel market are way more than this, even with discounts. As it stands subscribers have to rely on a lot of luck in terms of timing, or they are forced to save their stipend up in order to get the things they want. I think at least 720 a month would be better. That's two cartel packs right? Or 3 or 4 quality unlocks a month?

Also, still not seeing anywhere whether or not this is a one shot deal or we will now be getting an additional 500 monthly. Can someone please address this? Even if the answer is "we haven't decided" or "we aren't saying at this time."