Dissident Companions

Wallner

I started playing again on my Jedi Knight one or two weeks ago. And I was thinking about why Lord Scourge was still hanging around. I don't really remember if he gave me a reason for staying with me after I killed the emperor, can anyone remind me?

But then I also started thinking about how dull it is that you get stuck with companions that totally disagree with your character's behavior and opinions on most topics, and you can't leave them nor affect their personality. Why? If you have to make us stick with these companions at least make us able to affect their morality, like in Kotor.

Why would Scourge stick around when he completely disagree's with everything I do? Why can't I, as a light side Jedi, kick him out (or even capture him, he's a sith for crying out loud) ? And why can't I reprogram HK-51 to be less interested in "deleting" people, and more interested in protecting people?

Gah, well I had to vent somewhere. But I guess my point is, if we have to be stuck with these predetermined companions, at least make us able to affect their personality/morality. Maybe with conversations, actions, or in the case of droids reprogramming.

i honestly think he is waiting to be killed by my Sith Warrior for betraying the Emperor.

Scourge really doesn't have anywhere else to be. He aided a jedi in killing the emperor (as far as they know) and would be entirely unwelcome in imperial space. He had really good reasons, but even if he had an opportunity to explain them to the dark council, he probably wouldn't be believed. He can't exact wander around freely in republic space, either.

As to him disapproving of you, that's not always the case. My jedi was lightside (light 4, I believe) but pragmatic and driven to win the war. Scourge approved of him highly. He was maxed before Kira. Not only did he enjoy trying to to show my jedi the value of the darkside, but I think he liked him. They worked very well together. Not only that, but when properly outfitted, he's awesome. I never use any of the other companions anymore.

Personally, I enjoy having companions who have their own opinions. It's much more interesting than a bunch of 'yes' men.

Admittedly, I prefer it when they're interesting adults like Scourge than spoiled brats like Ashara or as malleable as Jaesa.

Edited by errant_knight

Having just finished Balmorra with my Vanguard, I'm a little surprised to not see Tanno Vik's name popping up in this topic as of yet. I know Havoc Squad only accepts "the best", but really, if "the best" is a freaking sociopath, I think it'd be okay to settle for number two, just this once.

Having just finished Balmorra with my Vanguard, I'm a little surprised to not see Tanno Vik's name popping up in this topic as of yet. I know Havoc Squad only accepts "the best", but really, if "the best" is a freaking sociopath, I think it'd be okay to settle for number two, just this once.

Yeah, I'm can't stand the guy. Guess who sits on the bench and is my Underworld/Armortech lacky.

I like to think that my Sorc is indeed a master manipulator when it comes to Ashara. She still holds the belief that she is a Jedi (or at least in the grey area, as I felt she thought towards the end of her arc) but she is now bent to my will, under the illusion that I'm fighting for a better Empire and that I care for her (romantically and as a friend). This all leads to a unique situation where I have someone who can gather supporters from the Jedi, and I have another loyal guardian. Story-wise it also makes for a fun perspective from a character.

I do agree though that this subtle approach is not for everyone's character, in which case Ashara can be very frustrating. However, I don't think that she's dissident, or at least not to me.

To be honest, most companions challenge you when you make choices that go against them, but I don't think any actively challenge you at all times. I haven't played as a Bounty Hunter but from what I've seen, even Skadge does what he's told. And Lord Scourge just sits back and enjoys the ride, providing some (dark side) backseat banter as you go. The closest would probably be Khem Val's other half who I'm damn sure is working behind my back on a way to restore power, just doesn't say anything about it.

I did crew skills on my wife's PT and I see what people mean about Skadge now. Seriously, just from sending him on crew skills I would not hesitate to put a boot to his back side and push him out the air lock mid hyperspace jump! He is annoying!

Scourge I can deal with. If I was a DS Knight I think it would fit better, but as a LS Knight he gets annoying at times but one of the conversations with him actually redeemed him with me.

Jaesa DS has gotten annoying and my toon is mostly dark side lol. I should have kept her DS but I wanted the option to romance her. At some point Vette just seemed to have a better romance plot.

• 2 weeks later...

Vik IS "explosives-expert-number-two". He's not a sociopath, just a hardcore criminal.

"Number-one" is a traitor to the republic, at the moment sitting in a republic-military-prison ... or dead.

Just thought I'd mention it, in case you missed that.

"Number-one" is a traitor to the republic, at the moment sitting in a republic-military-prison ... or dead.

Well, in my story, he's dead, but that's a Trooper complaint for an entirely different topic.

And once you're dead, you're out of the ranking.

That said, you raise an interesting point, and if not for that poorly thought out choice being an issue, I would totally rather have that character than Vik. I think he'd be a more compelling companion, really, and it'd have the potential to make the story from Trooper chapter 1 more meaningful.