Early-Access Invites

XolituDe

Quote from Pre-load the game now SWTOR E-Mail.

"Early Game Access* will begin on December 13th at 7:00AM EST, 2011 and ends on December 19th, 2011 at 10:01PM EST. During this time, we will be emailing invitations to join Early Game Access based on the order in which you redeemed your Pre-Order Code."

This means, if you were the first person to pre-order the game, you will be the first to be invited.

If you were the last to pre-order, you will be the last to play the game.

Quoting a post that a recent member made

"I went to McDonalds, and although i paid the same amount of money for my BigMac as the guy who was 3 spaces in front of me, he received his burger first, y u no fair?"

Basic Ideology, first in, first serve.

You may think that thousands of people pre-ordered the game right?

In america alone, reports show that over 1 million people pre-ordered the game in USA alone.

Allowing over 1 million people to enter the servers at once would be chaotic, it would crash the servers, potentially damage the system and postpone the launch.

Just because you paid $50-$90 for your game, it does not guarantee you a space in the first few waves early-access.

SWTOR Pre-Order stated that you could receive up to 5 days early-access gameplay time, read that again, it says you COULD receive UP TO 5 days.

That does not mean you WILL get 5 days.

Hooray, another person posting the exact same thread. While all of you people whine about complainers posting the same rage, all you people do is post exactly the same thing. Anyways, a lot of the people aren't saying LET EVERYONE IN NOW. That's way too reductionary, and honestly you're pretty stupid for not realizing that. A lot of people are upset that server populations continue to remain low, when it seems that more people could be let in safely without crashing or destabilizing the servers, but aren't being let in. I don't care if people play before me, but I would like to play as early as possible, which, due to poor management of waves, I am unable to do.

Official Launch is likely to be pretty much the same. They'll kick everyone out signifying the end to the head start...

And the order in which you will be able to play from Dec 20th will likely be based on either when you redeemed your Product Registration code and/or when you subscribe to the monthly reoccurring fee.

Which will give the advantage to whoever gets their physical/virtual download of game first.

This way, they can roll out additional servers based on how well the game handles the influx of new players. This may also explain why there is no "grace" period.

"Early Game Access* will begin on December 13th at 7:00AM EST, 2011 and ends on December 19th, 2011 at 10:01PM EST. During this time, we will be emailing invitations to join Early Game Access based on the order in which you redeemed your Pre-Order Code."

This means, if you were the first person to pre-order the game, you will be the first to be invited.

"I went to McDonalds, and although i paid the same amount of money for my BigMac as the guy who was 3 spaces in front of me, he received his burger first, y u no fair?"

In america alone, reports show that over 1 million people pre-ordered the game in USA alone.

Allowing over 1 million people to enter the servers at once would be chaotic, it would crash the servers, potentially damage the system and postpone the launch.

Just because you paid $50-$90 for your game, it does not guarantee you a space in the first few waves early-access.

SWTOR Pre-Order stated that you could receive up to 5 days early-access gameplay time, read that again, it says you COULD receive UP TO 5 days.

You're logic is flawed. The world revolves around me, it's been proven with science; therefore, I am entitled to whine all day and night until I get whatever I want regardless of any rules or order.

:rolleyes:

Hooray, another person posting the exact same thread. While all of you people whine about complainers posting the same rage, all you people do is post exactly the same thing. Anyways, a lot of the people aren't saying LET EVERYONE IN NOW. That's way too reductionary, and honestly you're pretty stupid for not realizing that. A lot of people are upset that server populations continue to remain low, when it seems that more people could be let in safely without crashing or destabilizing the servers, but aren't being let in. I don't care if people play before me, but I would like to play as early as possible, which, due to poor management of waves, I am unable to do.

So you are justifying yourself complaining about people complaining about others complaining. Makes sense.

I went to McDonalds, and although i paid the same amount of money for my BigMac as the guy who was 3 spaces in front of me, he received his burger first, y u no fair?"

McD's doesnt close after 6 hours and let everyone else just sit in line waiting for the next burger to be cooked. They keep the line moving *cough* *cough*

/facepalm

I cannot even begin to fathom how naive some people are.

The "first come first serve" works well in scenarios of limited supply. There is no limited supply here. It is a marketing and sales strategy designed with a specific purpose of creating virtually limited supply.

The less supply the higher the demand. I bet you if they said everyone who pre-orders the copy gets early access the same day there would be no spikes. Some people would buy it sooner some people would buy it later.

However, saying that it's "first come first serve" created a huge sales spikes and brought in a lot of money on the first day. If I was to go to investors I'd do the same thing they did and say "look! we announced game and sold over 9000 copies in an hour alone!"

First come first serve does not apply in this case. It is a virtually applicable construct created by marketing and sales team at Bioware, and now they can't go back and reverse it as it would appear too shallow and would aggrevate even more people. They have to stick with it.

Edited by sparkvolt

good logic... where does it state that they will stop invites after 100 -200k and watch the servers untill next morning because beta stress tests werent enough time to test... where does it say that we wont keep seperate lists for eu and american preorders so that we have round the clock activity on servers and get as many people in on first day possible...

slacking.

Not to mention that a friend of mine who preordered after me got in with the first set. Where I did not. There is randomness involved. I call BS. Up until my invite comes I will continue to call BS. When mine comes I will stop calling BS, not because i no longer think it's BS but because i will simply be too busy to call BS. I will still think it's bs.

/facepalm

I cannot even begin to fathom how naive some people are.

The "first come first serve" works well in scenarios of limited supply. There is no limited supply here. It is a marketing and sales strategy designed with a specific purpose of creating virtually limited supply.

The less supply the higher the demand. I bet you if they said everyone who pre-orders the copy gets early access the same day there would be no spikes. Some people would buy it sooner some people would buy it later.

However, saying that it's "first come first serve" created a huge sales spikes and brought in a lot of money on the first day. If I was to go to investors I'd do the same thing they did and say "look! we announced game and sold over 9000 copies in an hour alone!"

First come first serve does not apply in this case. It is a virtually applicable construct created by marketing and sales team at Bioware, and now they can't go back and reverse it as it would appear too shallow and would aggrevate even more people. They have to stick with it.

And Bioware is a company, and companies are meant, by design, to make money. The successful ones do just that. Oddly, in this case, not only is it great marketing, but it's also good customer support. Those who are willing to cancel their pre orders over this, statistically, are those who would not be long term investors (i.e. players) of the game. Hence, by catering to those who are pleased by a stable launch, with free game time (since these days do not count off from the free 30 days we get with the game purchase) they are making a good impression in the customer base that matters, those most likely to stick with the game, and invest money monthly.

I went to McDonalds.....

Shoved to the front of the queue, pull out my gun and demanded all the cash from the till and a big mac with cheese.

I then left the store with exactly what i went in for and didn't have to queue at all even though i wasn't first in.

Give me early access now or the funny man gets it! :eek::wea_02:

Here's the part I don't understand... if having everybody attempting to log in at the same time is going to cause such system instability that it could impact the entire game, how in the world do they intend on performing maintenance? One server at a time? Yeah... they could do that. Unless, of course, they wanted to do something with the authentication servers or something.

And what about 12/20? We'll have the entire preorder group, along with an unknown number of retail sale players attempting to log in at the same time after they bring the servers back up. How is this any different? They won't even know what they need to do to plan for it because they haven't attempted it yet. Should we be planning on a 12/21 retail start since the servers may melt on 12/20? It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I think if it were me that I'd want to try my damnedest to break the servers during Early Access (when players aren't guaranteed access due to some crafty legalese) just so I had a good window to get them fixed in before retail when it really counts.

They can let people trickle in now by the teaspoonful, pat themselves on the back and tell the media what a successful launch they're having, but it's smoke and mirrors. They haven't proven anything yet, except how well they can ignore upset customers posting in their forums. That's my take on it anyway.

And for the folks who will inevitably want to post all the 'self-entitled' insults at my mere suggestion that BW may be doing this wrong; Sorry, just don't care. Thanks anyway.

Here's the part I don't understand... if having everybody attempting to log in at the same time is going to cause such system instability that it could impact the entire game, how in the world do they intend on performing maintenance? One server at a time? Yeah... they could do that. Unless, of course, they wanted to do something with the authentication servers or something.

And what about 12/20? We'll have the entire preorder group, along with an unknown number of retail sale players attempting to log in at the same time after they bring the servers back up. How is this any different? They won't even know what they need to do to plan for it because they haven't attempted it yet. Should we be planning on a 12/21 retail start since the servers may melt on 12/20? It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I think if it were me that I'd want to try my damnedest to break the servers during Early Access (when players aren't guaranteed access due to some crafty legalese) just so I had a good window to get them fixed in before retail when it really counts.

They can let people trickle in now by the teaspoonful, pat themselves on the back and tell the media what a successful launch they're having, but it's smoke and mirrors. They haven't proven anything yet, except how well they can ignore upset customers posting in their forums. That's my take on it anyway.

And for the folks who will inevitably want to post all the 'self-entitled' insults at my mere suggestion that BW may be doing this wrong; Sorry, just don't care. Thanks anyway.

Ideally they are giving people a week of uninterrupted play time. Note that I said ideally. Maintenance is scheduled at the end of early access. Usually, this is enough time for people to get the initial addiction out of their system, and start sleeping at night again (or working, or what ever). With maint being done later, after peak play time, there will be less strain when the servers come back up. Again, ideally, speaking from a business only perspective.

I also understand that we MMO players are a strange group, and are likely to hit those servers hard. But no one has the ability to predict the future, only to make logical guesses at it.

Keep in mind that this early access is also helping them to determine how many servers they will need, with out producing too many (keeping costs effective while maintaining a viable community after the initial rush of crazed players, myself included). Having that idea of the number of servers needed will help them make those post maint relaunches (for lack of a better term) as painless as possible.