Companions that you did not want to take.(possible spoilers)

Path-x

Ahh the Sorcerer. I could pretty much go down the list of companions on this one.

Khem Val was the only one that I actually had a real bond with. What can I say, the deshade is just one big teddy bear.

Andronikus: Uhh... he already wore out his welcome by tagging along after his nemesis was dealt with. It was one of those "why are you still here again?" situations. Wasn't surprising when he invited himself aboard my ship.

Ashara: I'm a die-hard light Sith, and even I can understand why others want to throw her into an airlock. She's as oblivious as oblivious can be. Sorry, I'd wish that a future apprentice has a little realistic sensibility.

Talos: Don't get me wrong. Talos is hilariously nerdy, but he was another one who helped me a bit, then invited himself aboard. His presence did not change the outcome of my storyline.

Xalek: C'mon? Really?? Kaleesh are awesome, but Xalek is like Sten from Dragon Age. He's about as short with you as a rebellious teenager. Not only that, but when I played.. he was broken (tank-wise) for MONTHS.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never did understand the rampant Kaliyo hate. She amuses the heck out of me. To each his own, I guess.

It's not the character that is the problem, it's the class story she is part of. Kaliyo stands out like a sore thumb as a companion of the Imperial Agent unless you let her "taint" you.

This is essentially the case with all class stories, almost all of the classes have a companion character in them that sticks out a little too much that you might want to swap out for another one. Kaliyo, for instance, I gather would make more sense for a Bounty Hunter (better her than Skadge >_>) than the Agent. She might even fit better with the Sith Warrior.

Likewise, I'd switch out Rusk from the Jedi Knight for Yuun of the Trooper. Makes more sense to me.

Edited by BenKatarn

It's not the character that is the problem, it's the class story she is part of. Kaliyo stands out like a sore thumb as a companion of the Imperial Agent unless you let her "taint" you.

This is essentially the case with all class stories, almost all of the classes have a companion character in them that sticks out a little too much that you might want to swap out for another one. Kaliyo, for instance, I gather would make more sense for a Bounty Hunter (better her than Skadge >_>) than the Agent. She might even fit better with the Sith Warrior.

Likewise, I'd switch out Rusk from the Jedi Knight for Yuun of the Trooper. Makes more sense to me.

Which is why I don't understand the Skadge hate for BH. Both Skadge and the Bounty HUnter are pretty much killers and not particularly loyal to either Empire or Republic. I still feel Skadge is the only character that jives with the BH I have. The other companions seem way too soft and not hard enough. The Bounty Hunters that Maul and Savage fought recently for example in Clone Wars all seemed cooler and badder than any of the BH companions except Skadge.

Kaliyo's a challenge, though. Do you really want people who conform to your character completely? Sounds dull to me.

Kaliyo's a person who is rebelling against everything but deep down has a part of herself that's open to finding someone who's worthy of being loyal to for once. To her the Agent's someone who intrigues her, someone who's wild and powerful enough to attract her but stays loyal to the most offputting government in the galaxy. SHE probably doesn't even know why she stays.

Her entire storyline is about how she's tying up messy loose ends that she's suddenly grown tired of for reasons she doesn't understand until the end. It's not all just random crap and lies. In her own way she's letting the Agent get to know her, testing him / her. She's a person who goes on her instincts and now her instincts and her head are telling her different things. That's why a lot of her Affection Point gains seem contradictory. I think she's one of the better written Companions in the game. There's nothing simple about her, nor should there be.

Kaliyo. She just doesn't jive with my Agent. at all. She makes as much sense for an agent companion as Corso does for the smuggler.

Neither one of those characters jive with my AG and SM. Kaliyo is way too unpredictable and too much trouble for my straight laced Agent and Corso is way too honorable for my dirty, backstabbing, money making smuggler.

It ALSO doesn't help that I hate Corso's creepy possessiveness over my Fem!Smuggler. She is not a "lady." She is a player and damn proud of it too. she has no qualms about killing anyone, even women, for trying to kill her. And when she SAYS NO YOU TAKE NO FOR A *********** ANSWER. Also, his snide and rude comments when ever she flirts with anyone that isn't him would earn him a blaster to his face were she able to.

Skadge - Without a doubt, numero uno on my list of unwanted companions. Wanted to kill him as soon as I saw him and that desire has not abated one damn bit.

Kaliyo - While I think she's a well-written character, my ia never would have let such a loose cannon on her ship. She would have found some way to get rid of that security risk with or without official sanction.

Rusk - I just...wha?? Why the heck is this guy on my ship???

Nadia - Want to smack her every time she opens her mouth. Seriously.

Temple - Ok, Temple I didn't mind taking with me to begin with but (IA spoilers)

having such a rabid we-live-to-serve-the-Sith psycho on the ship of an agent who is now actively working AGAINST the Sith is...uh...problematic.

And finally, Gault - Gault *technically* is on the list because I really wanted to kill him to begin with. Really wanted to. However, the guy has completely grown on me, and I'm now glad he's on my crew.

(Shout out to my trooper crew, which I love in its entirety!)

Pffft, my BH wanted to as well....but now she's head over heels for him. Stupid sexy Devaronian....

**** YOU BIOWARE FOR MAKING HIM NON-ROMANCABLE.

;A;

I'm completely in agreement, but I sincerely believe our first and main companions should be ones that match your class perfectly. Khem Val matches the SI very well, as does Mako for the BH. Even Vette matches the SW quite well considering the class is based on Darth Malgus who himself had a Twilek slave partner. You can also say the same things about Corso, JK droid and that trooper's Cathar whos name escapes me. Only Qyzen on the republic side I think is an odd first character for the JC.

I mean what really adds insult to it is that we're stuck with her for the best part of 30 levels, and the fact that all the main companion quests are going to be about her. Its so uncharacteristic of an Imperial Agent to go out of his way to fix up some psycho Ratataki mercenary's personal life. What also annoys me is that she's the only tank companion we have until Belsavis, meaning my healer will more or less have to put up with her for an even longer haul.

RE:Corso. I so do not agree. He REALLY should have been a Trooper companion, because, unless you're playing a straight up, pure LS!Smuggler, he so does not fit. At all. Building your power base, having people work for you? He *********** HATES THAT. A Smuggler has connections dude!! And a Smuggler isn't always gonna be squeaky clean and peachy keen on authority. Get your head out of your ***. And take your stupid named weapons with you.

actually, I LOVE Xalek. He just has this Sithy feel to him, and I would switch to have him as my SW companion instead of Pierce. He's a good apprentice, he's loyal, and he's one dang good tank!

i dunno why everyone hates him. the moment he just punched the Twi'lek down in front of Harken made me instantly think, "Wow, this guy is a bad***". He's a great tank, and I often can't decide between him and Khem Val.

However, yet again I can't say I'm a Jaesa fan. I want a real Sith APPRENTICE! we have enough double-blade wielders without Jaesa, and now Nomen Karr's lost padawan ends up on my ship. She's a good DPS, and I respect her for that, but the split personallity thing just makes me feel awkward. On one hand you've got a crazy ***** who is desperate for a *******, but on the other hand is the goody two-shoes Jedi who wants to change the Empire. Something in the middle, please? A companion with a single-bladed lightsaber? Thank you.

I'm kind of regretting the LS!Jaesa myself. I would SO HAVE LOVED a middle ground grey character for her. You start telling her how you envision the Empire (my SW is very pro-empire, just...better and not so bloodthirsty) and your apprentice follows that, agrees with you. Not some goody two shoes zealot hell bent on reforming the Empire to the Republic (that's what it feels like anyway). That's not what my LS!SW wants, hon...she's still very much bigoted to other races, outside Vette, and believes them to have their set place,. They just should be treated better...give them incentives to stay where they are instead of rebelling. C:

But DS!Jaesa, as amusing as I find her, is just as annoying with her dark fanaticism and cat-in-heat ways. B/

Companions I did not want to take:

SW: Broonmark

Agent: Kaliyo

BH: Gault* + Skadge

*Here's the thing, Gault eventually grew on me enough that I changed my mind, Skadge? Not in the slightest.

And at least Gault begs his way onto the ship. Skadge forces his way onto the ship for the most part

Which is why I don't understand the Skadge hate for BH. Both Skadge and the Bounty HUnter are pretty much killers and not particularly loyal to either Empire or Republic. I still feel Skadge is the only character that jives with the BH I have. The other companions seem way too soft and not hard enough. The Bounty Hunters that Maul and Savage fought recently for example in Clone Wars all seemed cooler and badder than any of the BH companions except Skadge.
Well, that's more given to circumstances than anything else. You have a slicer with a heart of gold and a weakness for ugnaughts, a scoundrel that's been on the run, a 19-year-old mandalorian, a jawa with wanderlust, and Skadge.

Pffft, my BH wanted to as well....but now she's head over heels for him. Stupid sexy Devaronian....

**** YOU BIOWARE FOR MAKING HIM NON-ROMANCABLE.

;A;

Erm...isn't he a good 30+ years older than the bounty hunter? Edited by Estriga

Well, that's more given to circumstances than anything else. You have a slicer with a heart of gold and a weakness for ugnaughts, a scoundrel that's been on the run, a 19-year-old mandalorian, a jawa with wanderlust, and Skadge.

Erm...isn't he a good 30+ years older than the bounty hunter?

This matters why? Quinn is like 37.

Torian, in my opinion, is far too young for the BH. And too pretty. And too boring. Ick.

This matters why? Quinn is like 37.

Torian, in my opinion, is far too young for the BH. And too pretty. And too boring. Ick.

I'd agree with that. I passed on the bh romance because Torian seemed much too young for my particular bounty hunter. I love the boy, but as a little brother-in-arms. I'm actually making a second bounty hunter with a much younger backstory that would be a better match for him.

Gault I love, but I don't know if I'd pursue a romance with him if he were made a LI. It would very much depend on how the romance was done. As it stands, he and my bh pick on each other, drink wine together while making fun of people, and generally are very good friends.

Edited to add: Gault is seriously an awesome character and I had a lot of fun writing him in my fan fic (shameless plug) "My Name is Solomon Crae."

Edited by iamthehoyden

To be honest, plenty of characters are meant to be out of place for what you might imagine from a chracter. They are there to show you that there are other ways to play your character.

Adding anarchist Kaliyo to loyalist Agent squad? Blam, Agent might start seeing things in a bit different light.

Same thing with Corso/Bowdaar, they can both show Smuggler the meaning of honor and loyalty, something one would not associate with Smugglers (think what Han Solo has been before and what he became after Ep4).

To be honest, plenty of characters are meant to be out of place for what you might imagine from a chracter. They are there to show you that there are other ways to play your character.

Adding anarchist Kaliyo to loyalist Agent squad? Blam, Agent might start seeing things in a bit different light.

Same thing with Corso/Bowdaar, they can both show Smuggler the meaning of honor and loyalty, something one would not associate with Smugglers (think what Han Solo has been before and what he became after Ep4).

I'd be fine with that if they went about different routes to introduce them onto the ship. Like I said with Skadge, his introduction onto my BH's ship would of been much better if it was done the route of Firefly's Mal and Jane.

BH to Skadge: How much you being payed for this?

Skadge: Five percent.

BH: I'll pay you an equal share and give you a place on my ship.

Skadge: O.O *betrays buddies*

See. Big difference than.

Skadge: I'm hitching a ride with you or I'm killing you here and now.

BH: Okay you can come.

Yeah, I have not yet gotten to Belsavis on my Huntress, so I have not seen this situation yet. However, I am starting to see why people hate Skadge. I agree your idea is great.

But, my comment was directed at people hating Kaliyo or Corso for not fitting into what they perceive their class should be.

At least in the case of Kaliyo, she could work but introduced later in the story rather than being your first companion. I think that's what rubs people the wrong way. If you had been given time to establish your IA and then meet Kaliyo and have her join you, it would have made a little more sense. The type of thing she does is something that usually happens to people who have been in the information business for a long time. You do the same thing over and over and then realize you could make something extra on the side. You don't usually just jump into that sort of thing after getting your feet wet. Not if you don't want to get caught, anyways.

Yeah, I have not yet gotten to Belsavis on my Huntress
I'm starting to think one of the universal constants of TOR is that everyone has a female bounty hunter. :p

Especially since I had just leveled my Inquisitor prior to my Consular, I have to say Qyzen Fess really annoyed me since he's basically a poor mans' Khem Val and his story is fairly lame.

I mean Khems' arc was rather brilliantly done. He didn't particularly like you having power over him at first, but he also didn't particularly like force users, so in between his threats to kill you he sort of just came a long for the ride. (As well as having an interesting story that was rather integral to your Inquisitors' plot). He broke away from the generic simple alien companion trope in a big way.

This is in stark contrast to Qyzens' who not only doesn't even really belong, he provides nothing pertinent to my Consular. Even the way he got onto my team was annoying.

Qyzen: 'YO you huntin' stuff'

Me: 'No, I'm not'

Qyzen: 'You sure you ain't huntin' ****?'

Me: 'I'm a healer/diplomat'

Qyzen: 'So you're not hunting?'

Me: 'I'm literally about to go the Republics capitol, nothing could be further from the wilderness'

Qyzen: 'NAH! You huntin' ****, I'm coming with you'

I mean the Bounty Hunter storyline irked me a little whenever it would try to apply bounty hunting to things that weren't ('Shutting down that shield array is basically like capturing a wanted criminal so we need you!'), but Qyzen takes that to the utmost extreme by not only being a one track trope Trandoshan but his only contribution to conversations is to talk about how in broad terms everything we're doing is 'Hunting'.

Although to be fair all of the Consular companions are pretty bad.

Most of the 'final' companions are fairly poorly implemented, imo. Most of the early ones develop the class story arcs in some way, but by the time you get around to meeting your fifth on ~belsavis the characters and conflicts are relatively well established and the new companion feels out of place; this is why the circumstances under which they join your team seem so contrived.

Skadge is the best example, but it's also true the case with scorpio, yuun and especially xalek; you'd think your first apprentice would have a more prominent place in your class story arc but noooo.

Malavai Quinn ~ There was something about him that my character did not trust. Plus, he is/was far too stiff and regulated for my girl.

Ashara ~ I'm sorry but she just does NOT fit with the Sith Inquisitor. Unless we can either turn her darkside, or have her be a little more cooperative for LS Inquisitors.

Skadge ~ If I could shove him out of the airlock in the middle of an asteroid field I would.

Rusk ~ Just feels like a filler companion to me. No real use.

Edited by Amadahy

Malavai Quinn ~ There was something about him that my character did not trust. Plus, he is/was far too stiff and regulated for my girl.

Ashara ~ I'm sorry but she just does NOT fit with the Sith Inquisitor. Unless we can either turn her darkside, or have her be a little more cooperative for LS Inquisitors.

Skadge ~ If I could shove him out of the airlock in the middle of an asteroid field I would.

Rusk ~ Just feels like a filler companion to me. No real use.

Having the same problem with Quinn on my SW. He just isn't much more than eye candy for her. Terrible really :( Soo, I stick with Vette as her personality fits with my SWs.

Ashara, I wonder if her being more cooperative with a LS Inquistor would have made me like her more.

Having the same problem with Quinn on my SW. He just isn't much more than eye candy for her. Terrible really :( Soo, I stick with Vette as her personality fits with my SWs.

Ashara, I wonder if her being more cooperative with a LS Inquistor would have made me like her more.

Ahh, so good to see I'm not the only one who feels this way. I really, really wanted to like Quinn but I'm just not feeling it. I stick with Vette also since she fits my SW. The same goes for Lt. Pierce as well, who is absolutely perfect for my girl. I just wish the romance with him went farther than it did.

My Sith Inquisitor is LS and I still cannot stand Ashara. lol. It does not matter what my girl does there is no way to make Ashara happy. I'm hoping, if companion stories are continued, that she will come around.

Ahh, so good to see I'm not the only one who feels this way. I really, really wanted to like Quinn but I'm just not feeling it. I stick with Vette also since she fits my SW. The same goes for Lt. Pierce as well, who is absolutely perfect for my girl. I just wish the romance with him went farther than it did.

My Sith Inquisitor is LS and I still cannot stand Ashara. lol. It does not matter what my girl does there is no way to make Ashara happy. I'm hoping, if companion stories are continued, that she will come around.

When I rolled up my SW, a friend who knows me well told me from the beginning, "You're going to hate Quinn. He won't fit with your choices at all. You're going to want Quinn's looks with Pierces attitude." And she looks to be right (haven't gotten to Pierce yet)