Twi'lek Lekku, prehensile?

Technotica

So, I read on Wookipedia that the lekkus of Twi'leks are prehensile, which means they can be moved independently and used to grasp something.

Now I have never seen any twi'lek actually do that either in the movies, the games or the comics.

So do they really behave like monkeys tails?

Makes me see twi'lek in a totally different light, kinda like mind flayers... *g* (all tentacly)

Yeah, they're prehensile. Although I cannot imagine that they'd be used to grasp things. I imagine them as fairly sluggish and slow, and their form would make it hard to hold things, which is why I imagine that we don't really see them do that.

On another note, they really do have to fix how Lekkus look and function in the game. I equip a hat on Vette, they clip right through. I equip a mask, they disappear. There's not even an option not to show companion helmets, so... And how come there's not even an option on how to wrap them? I think a lot of people want Bib Fortuna's round-the-neck-over-the-shoulder Lekku. :(

I thought that, too.
Is there something horrible wrong with me, that when I read this thread the first thing that comes to mind is tentacle "intercourse"?

Welcome to the internet, where dignity goes to die.

Is there something horrible wrong with me, that when I read this thread the first thing that comes to mind is tentacle "intercourse"?

Well. They are viewed similarly to breasts in Twi'lek culture...

Where you go with that is entirely your business!

But, they're somewhat moveable without being exactly prehensile like, say, a monkey's tail. They have some motion, but I'm not sure they can actually grip anything with any real ability.

Some EU sources have lekku as being really important for communication/expression- It's hard for a non-Twi'lek to speak Twi'lekki, because they don't have lekku to gesture with in addition to the auditory component of the language.

However, I, like you, am having a hard time imagining them as being truly prehensile.

Well. They are viewed similarly to breasts in Twi'lek culture...

Where you go with that is entirely your business!

I would wonder what male twi'lek lekku would be similar in twi'lik culture...

But on a more serious note I wonder what function those lekku would have in evolution, would they really be onced used as an extra set of limbs wich lost or lessen in function over time. Or was it part of sexual evolution and served no other function then impressing a potential mate (like the feathers of a peacock).

• 10 months later...

Ok. Here's my take, based on my knowledge of the lore:

They are prehensile. This doesn't mean they can use them for carrying heavy items, however, or even that they would if they could. I can *easily* see them holding light items (think Davey Jones in Pirates of the Caribbean, with the key to the chest that contains his heart). I can also see them being used for, say, raising and lowering a hood on a cloak.

In general, I see them as being as capable and as flexible as an octopus or squid's tentacles, but without the suckers they use for gripping. So, for example, a twi'lek assassin could potentially use them to strangle someone.

And based on the lore I've read, they are *highly* sensitive to touch, their length and shape *are* considered a measure of status and beauty, and they *can* be seen as erogenous zones. I'd say that a twi'lek hugging or even actively touching a person with their lekku is a sign of caring and trust.

As for Twi'leki, it's possible for non-twi'leks to learn to understand, but exceedingly difficult due to the subtleties of the lekku movements and body language. Races like Togruta would likely have an easier time of it, having their own version of lekku.

Also, considering the Twi'leki and Lekku languages, I'd say Twi'leks are *exceptional* at reading body language.

As far as the naughty fun...well, people imagine succubus tails being used to add to the fun in various ways, think of it like that, but with two of them, and attached at the back of the head instead of the base of the spine.

As for not seeing them move in the movies, consider the difficulty vs the benefit of accomplishing such an effect, particularly in terms of budget considerations. Of course, such an effect is easy to do with CG, but I think Lucas was more focused on other aspects of making the movies. Maybe we'll get to see them move in whatever new SW movie Disney makes. :)

Edited by VelvetSanity

i thought they held part of the brain and are used to attract mates. the part of the brain thats housed there is the pleasure zone. i remember a jedi cutting hers off to prevent herself from wanting another person. she was banished from her people or something like that after. they are a big deal for them Edited by Mawduce

i thought they held part of the brain and are used to attract mates. the part of the brain thats housed there is the pleasure zone. i remember a jedi cutting hers off to prevent herself from wanting another person. she was banished from her people or something like that after. they are a big deal for them

They do contain part of the brain, but I haven't seen any info regarding what areas of the brain, exactly, are located there.

EDIT: The info I have (I primarily use the d20 Star Wars RPG for lore, as authors often speculate and apply literary license to make a story more interesting) says that they are sensory organs. I can see such an extrapolation being made, but it's faulty logic. For all I know, the lekku contain their taste buds or a radar system.

Edited by VelvetSanity

They do contain part of the brain, but I haven't seen any info regarding what areas of the brain, exactly, are located there...For all I know, the lekku contain their taste buds or a radar system.

According to Wookiepedia, a top portion of the lekku contains brain tissue that controls basic motor functions and houses repressed subconscious memories. It notes that force to the top portion of the lekku can incapacitate a Twi'lek or cause brain damage. It also notes that Rianna Saren's right lek was cut off, but this must have been below the actual brain matter as she suffered no brain damage.

Seems like kind of a weird way for evolution to go. Basic motor skills--let's keep them on the outside where they're more easily damaged! :t_tongue:

Edited by Ninquelen
Elaboration.

Seems like kind of a weird way for evolution to go. Basic motor skills--let's keep them on the outside where they're more easily damaged! :t_tongue:

Consider this: in every air-breathing creature on earth, the airway is not only connected to the digestive tract, but they actually *cross*! The esophagus is located *behind* the trachea...

Now, who's to say the skull isn't shaped to also protect those parts of the brain, seeing as they're located in the *base* of the lekku, rather than the tips.