Tank Companions

Gelgaroth

I've been wanting to try my hand at healing, and have narrowed it down to Sorcerer or Operative (temped to defect back to republic, but most of my friends are imperials so, staying there), so to aid my practice I would be using either Kaliyo or Khem Val as my tank companion, since I start off with them. My question is which of the two is a better tank, and which of the two is easier to gear?

• 4 weeks later...

khem is pure melee tank. he is like Jugg

Kaliyo is ranged\melee tank she is like vanguard.

I found khem easier to manage as kaliyo tend to shot from a far if her abilities on CD while khem charge in.. aoe stuff... and nothing will ever attack you while he is around.

My question is which of the two is a better tank

Khem is actually the best melee tank comp in the game because his AoE scales more than a *bit* too well, by the devs' own admission. Iirc, he's also the best tank comp overall because of it.

Both of those tanks, however, are difficult to gear for their ACs since they don't use the same primary attribute or even armor/offhand types as the player class. Kaliyo has the *slight* advantage insofar as she can use Blaster Rifles (the same weapon as Operatives), but she still uses Aim rather than Cunning so you still can't effectively pass gear down to her.

Then I'll probably go sorc with khem to start healing practice. Just because well, besides him apparently being best, he'd be easier to gear out for me. Because it's easier to make him more endurance heavy with mods, rather than kaliyo would be (i have pt tank, so my aim/endurance ration for armor (not mainhand/offhand) is more balanced than it is heavy in one end). Or should I use might mods for khem, rather than guardian (mods in this case being armorings, hilts and mods)? And if I just keep khem in fully upgraded moddable gear, would I for the most part (solo purposes mostly) be able to just use quest reward gear, or whatever i find, rather than buying a set of moddable gear?

Agent story is a million times better than the Inquisitor one, though. I'd pick Kaliyo just because of that. I know that isn't what you asked about, but it is certainly something that might affect your enjoyment of the game.

I play a sniper rather than an operative so my circumstances are slightly different, but with her distracting the enemies I very rarely take any damage myself.