Rollback

Harland

Sever Rollbacks can be caused by Hardware issues to Players using Hacks in-game which cause server instability and corruption. (Say Thanks Cheaters)

This corruption can only be fixed by reverting to a known good save of the server.

GW 2 for example did this on rollback -

This^.

A thousand times this.

This is what happens when players use hacks to cheat in-game. The game we play is saved server side. Some idiot players decided using hacks would be a good idea. They were wrong, and have now ruined it for a lot of players. Bioware is probably still investigating the full situation. Companies will never divulge the full story until they actually HAVE the full story.

Don't blame Bioware because somebody wanted to cheat the game. You'd be suprised how many try every day.

Edited by CaptRavenous

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any idea why the server was rolled back and why only some players were affected?

It only affected players who had been online during the time the server corruption started, and had continued to be online for some time after up until they initiated server rollback. Those who had been offline while this was all taking place were not affected, as their characters had been saved at a time prior to the incident, so logged back on after rollback to find their characters had not been affected.

Hi folks, unfortunately, a small number of users were affected by a minor rollback on the Red Eclipse which we cannot reset. However, if you lost Cartel Coins at all during this rollback, please contact Customer Support so that they can assist you. Thank you for your patience.

And that's it? Not any compensation for people who were affected? Not even a "sorry"? I also love it how they attempt to downplay the scale of the issue. 3 hour rollback followed after a sudden unexpected problem is definitely minor. The entire server population who were playing at that time is undoubtedly a small number of users. Funny thing is, how can they even know the number of users affected if they don't have any data left to restore?

I'm afraid i've just lost what tiny bit of respect and trust i had left in this company.

And no, i'm not affected myself, but this attitude just makes me go "aaaaaargh!".

GW 2 for example did this on rollback -

Well, at least they said "sorry". This guys here said "Unfortunately, this minor minor minor thing happened. Deal with it".

Edited by Trollokdamus

It seems that I left out an apology in my original message, and I'd like to change that. I've gone ahead and edited the original post and wanted you all to know that we do apologize here for any inconvenience that this may have caused. We are working internally on processes to prevent this situation from happening again. Thank you, once again for your patience.

It seems that I left out an apology in my original message, and I'd like to change that. I've gone ahead and edited the original post and wanted you all to know that we do apologize here for any inconvenience that this may have caused. We are working internally on processes to prevent this situation from happening again. Thank you, once again for your patience.

Appauling. You should have prevented this already. Im not on This server, but if it happened to me i would have left the game by now, and honestly, i dont blame anyone who thinks the same.

This was a major screw up bioware.

Pathetic

Man you do know that you seriously are bad at these kind of things since the launch of the game and yet you do these mistakes. I'm not talking about the actual error, but how you communicate it. First you just say "yeah it happened, sorry but we won't compensate you" and then deliberately try to minimize the number of affected people like it's only a minor problem- let me tell you something... it's not. You know what? Even if 1 subscriber is affected by this, it's a problem. It doesn't depend on the number of users affected. BW employees really should take some public relations courses, you really could use it. And yes, it's constructive critisism- I'm telling you what you are doing wrong and what you should do to fix it.

Yeah you leave out apologies in a lot of your posts as does the rest of your team. In fact frankly in 99% of cases the CSRs could be replaced by the meme de jour saying "deal with it" and no-one would notice the difference. Oh wait you "thank us for our patience" I've seen that one before only two problems we don't require thanking and we aren't patient we only tolerate it because we have no choice.

By the way hows the companion lightsabre bug that you promised to fix in 2011 going? You know while you're working on basic functionality that should have been in at launch. Not to mention the CTDs that you have been "collecting data" on since 1.4.

PR speak "apologies" only get you so far sooner or later you have to actually do something other than release armour reskins.

Joveth,

I don't know about anyone else, but I want to thank you and everyone at Bioware for putting together a great and and continuing to improve it. The fact that you respond to us players when we speak is a great thing and something that I believe in lacking in this era. I'm from an older time where things were more personal and actual people spoke to you. Not automated systems. So to have you respond and then come back and give an official apology is awesome. Keep up the good work!

Rollbacks occur with any MMO, does it suck yes it does, What causes this can be a lot of things from faulty hardware to players using hacks in game that are against the system design which introduces instability and corruption in the server, get angry at the hackers cause they are likely causing it.

It happens to all MMOs GW 2 just says this

Least it wasn't a 2 week rollback like with ultima online last month.

Are you working on compensating players who were effected by this roll back and not getting their moneys worth for what they pay for? You seem to have forgotten to address that.

This^.

A thousand times this.

This is what happens when players use hacks to cheat in-game. The game we play is saved server side. Some idiot players decided using hacks would be a good idea. They were wrong, and have now ruined it for a lot of players. Bioware is probably still investigating the full situation. Companies will never divulge the full story until they actually HAVE the full story.

Don't blame Bioware because somebody wanted to cheat the game. You'd be suprised how many try every day.

its simply amazing the number of people who cant understand this tbh...

and it really didnt affect THAT many people. it was 1 server at a time when a large portion of the population had logged off already. far from peak population.

Appauling. You should have prevented this already. Im not on This server, but if it happened to me i would have left the game by now, and honestly, i dont blame anyone who thinks the same.

This was a major screw up bioware.

Pathetic

What did you expect? I'm not surprised. BW seems to have no idea how to run their game, let alone keep customers happy.

Sigh.

Really unhappy about this.

Customer Service has gone down the tubes & this feels like no effort at all was put into looking at the amount of loss the players affected have suffered, sure in the grand-scheme of things it may seem like a minor inconvenience but I have had an entire & what I thought had been very productive evening wasted as have many others & to get just this conciliatory apology is quite insulting.

If I didn't enjoy this game so much I would absolutely be pulling my sub right now & taking my money elsewhere but make no mistake this is a serious incident as far as I am concerned & it has badly damaged my opinion of this game & it's developers.

Edited by SkuzBukit

Really unhappy about this.

Customer Service has gone down the tubes & this feels like no effort at all was put into looking at the amount of loss the players affected have suffered, sure in the grand-scheme of things it may seem like a minor inconvenience but I have had an entire & what I thought had been very productive evening wasted as have many others & to get just this conciliatory apology is quite insulting.

If I didn't enjoy this game so much I would absolutely be pulling my sub right now & taking my money elsewhere but make no mistake this is a serious incident as far as I am concerned & it has badly damaged my opinion of this game & it's developers.

Pull your sub then if you can't understand that these things CAN happen and happen in every MMO. Frankly, if you think you can do better than really make your own MMO and try to do better. Sh*t happens and an apology is all you can really expect. They did say they have no way of resetting it otherwise they would. Not even defending BioWare specifically, just the fact that technology can fail and it's not perfect.

I wanted to reply since I was one of the first to suggest that an apology might be in order. Thank you for correcting that, apology accepted.

As predicted some people were not appreciative, but all you can do is the right thing and hope that other people do the right thing as well.

If possible I would still be interested in more information on what happened. If you can not give details for some reason, like not wanting to reveal an exploit, I would understand (although I am sure that there are many people that wouldn't). If it is because of misguided management decisions, like never wanting to admit a mistake, then you have my sympathy. ;)

Edit: I went back and noticed that you added more information in your original post as well as the apology. Even better. :)

P.S. I was going to edit my sig, but after reading this thread I feel it may still be warranted for a while longer. :p

Edited by lordtwig

Seriously people... I mean... shesh.... you want COMPENSATION? Are you remotely SERIOUS?

People are so far removed from reality nowadays. This video game is a passtime, not a portfolio. /facepalm.....

You do realize that in ye old MMO days, they would compensate players for these sort of issues.

That being said, I'm not surprised that BW's stance is "tough s***". Their CS is...lacking at best and downright useless at worst.

Edited by Beslley

i bet 10million credits that 90% of the people are just complaining for the sake of complaining if u can do an entire TFB HM run in the 3 hour period of the roll back it certainly wont be a problem to do it again, "ERMAHGERD MY DG MAINHAND IS GONE", seriously just craft the damn thing.. so what if u lost a few % of a level its been running nonestop since launch over an entire year now and this is what the 1st time maybe 2nd we had a roll back and only of 3-4 hours.. just do it again.. if ur whole raid group lost out re-run and let to epic drops go to the same people its not that hard.. its all just ************ just because trolls like to moan about something..

You do realize that in ye old MMO days, they would compensate players for these sort of issues.

Yeah, not for 3 hours they didnt.

Cry more, maybe they'll cave and... do what exactly? Couple hundred people lost 3 hours of play time... so they should realistically do... what? Exactly?

Not defending their CS... which is clearly deplorable since offering an apology wasnt even the first thing that crossed their minds.

Edited by Polebreaker

Lost a level and some stuff but not really upset. Not upset with the lack of apology either. It's not like they're not sorry and wish it wouldn't have happened.

The only thing that saddens me is that the manner of communication with the community in global, illustrated in this case. It's happened again. Every time we get a new CM we get promises of plans of streamlined and more frequent communication. Which lasts for about a month and then it's back to CS droid style. Soulless. So worried about saying anything wrong it basically says nothing the vast majority of the time. Case in point this thread. A bit of insight and genuine remorse would find people accepting the setback. A prefab message from mt. olympus down to us mortals that we got however has people peeved by sheer attitude. We know you're human BW, and we actually like(d) that, back when you showed us your human face. I havent a clue why you choose to only interact with us as some corporation now, cold, formal, minimalistic.

CM team should give itself a warning for "uninviting" behavior like they do to players.

I don't know the inner workings behind the scenes or what it takes to do their job but from the outside, it seems that whatever BWs system is, it suffocates any and all genuine communications channels in favor of press releaswes. They really really REALLY should take a look at that and compare themselves to how other mmo devs go about community interaction. Where is SWtors ghostcrawler? I dont want a bi-monthly blog full of shallow PR platitudes, I want a dev actually TALKING on the forums more than once every 2nd royal muckup. How flipping hard can that be?

Thanks for answering.

I find it funny the trolls came out hard to bash on the people complaining, like they have some higher, more knowledgeable perspective. It's subjective, no one is wrong.

For some people it's a minor problem, for others it's a major setback for whatever reasons.

Saying you're wrong/noob/alienated because you complain is vintage trollish behavior imo.

But to each it's own opinion.

I redid all progress lost, and nothing was lost for good, so I guess it was a minor inconvenience at best for me. I overcame the initial outrage. And this things do happen with everything hardware and software based.

But the response from BW/EA/CS is off putting. I do think this game has positioned itself as premium: a subscribing game is more expensive for the player than a one time payment at least for me. Also, the amount invested into the game was record-breaking.

So I expected the correspondent treatment after something like this.

The legitimate expectations of paying customers were defrauded. So: "silence" followed by "we're sorry, deal with it, we hope it never happens again" is a lacking response in my opinion.

I don't think there's anything wrong in feeling they should have done better in explaining and/or compensating.

Still I appreciate the effort from BW/CS to communicate and apologize.