How to Become a Contender: Supplemental(Bolster, PvP Gear, and You)

L-RANDLE

I want to get back in PVP with my sniper. And at this point i think its better to invest the commendations in relics and save for the new gear set so I just want to bolster me the a competitive level till 2.7 arrives. I'm also thinking about using 4er set pve bonus beacause both pvp bonuses are crab and I also often play lethality. Do you bolster something like a helm in the same way? For instance (69-63-61) and something like a belt (69-63)?

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to get back in PVP with my sniper. And at this point i think its better to invest the commendations in relics and save for the new gear set so I just want to bolster me the a competitive level till 2.7 arrives. I'm also thinking about using 4er set pve bonus beacause both pvp bonuses are crab and I also often play lethality. Do you bolster something like a helm in the same way? For instance (69-63-61) and something like a belt (69-63)?

It does. I use a 61/69/66(blue) on my tank for a 2 set PvE and 2pc vindicator from PvP.

It does. I use a 61/69/66(blue) on my tank for a 2 set PvE and 2pc vindicator from PvP.

Thx for the answer. So it's no problem to mix purple and blue mods on an item? And the impotent thing, as I understand it, is not to get over a combined weapon rating with armoring, mod and enhancement and not user underworld gear or better. Is this correct and what about belt and wrists?

Da **** is everyone talking about these 46 blues?

Are they 146 rating blues or what? Cause I don't understand.

If anyone could elaborate on this, thanks.

Also what's this 66/68/69?

46 blues are referring to item modifications from the Voss vendor. In particular, if you use these in your weapons, they will bolster slightly higher than Obroan in WZs.

As for 69/63/61, those numbers are the item numbers assigned when you equip a piece of gear. So when you mouse over you see them in blue, purple or green. For the most part, we are talking purples here, but in the case above we are talking 46/46/46, and they are all blue quality.

MH & OH only. I am still collecting data, but according to Tait Watson, they are BiS for all classes/specs.

Basically, you shouldnt worry about what you are wearing as long as it is not old PvP gear, or raid gear above a total item rating of 460.

Hmm alright, thanks man!

Hey Randle, which blue 46s would this be exactly?

Lvl 46 mods? Because some of the hilts are like rating 108 and stuff.. so I don't exactly understand? Someone told me they would have to be bought from the Voss commendation npcs.

Or is is teh whole stuff in the 46-48 lvl range in the voss comms?

Edited by AssajiStarseed

Hmm alright, thanks man!

Hey Randle, which blue 46s would this be exactly?

Lvl 46 mods? Because some of the hilts are like rating 108 and stuff.. so I don't exactly understand? Someone told me they would have to be bought from the Voss commendation npcs.

Or is is teh whole stuff in the 46-48 lvl range in the voss comms?

Voss vendor. Barrel/hilt/armoring, mod, enhancement, with a +41 crystal..

When using the 69/63/61 combo, do they all need to be purples? Do 69 blues even exist? I'm having a difficult time getting a 69 hilt as I don't do much PvE. Fresh 55 and haven't played since launch so I'm a little lost. I'm tempted to just buy my Conq MH as it's much easier to get than pretty much all of the combos except for 46/46/46 blues which don't feel right on my sin and I desperately need a new MH. Does 66/63/61 work too? Edited by BlobbMonster

When using the 69/63/61 combo, do they all need to be purples? Do 69 blues even exist? I'm having a difficult time getting a 69 hilt as I don't do much PvE. Fresh 55 and haven't played since launch so I'm a little lost. I'm tempted to just buy my Conq MH as it's much easier to get than pretty much all of the combos except for 46/46/46 blues which don't feel right on my sin and I desperately need a new MH. Does 66/63/61 work too?

You know... for what it's worth, it seems like the difference in damage in going with the 69/63/61 or the 46/46/46 blue combo are both fairly minimal advantages in damage over the Obroan (or even Conqueror) MH/OH.

Personally, I haven't felt overly compelled to change out from my Obroan MH/Conqueror OH. Using those also has the added benefit of not requiring that you swap out weapons if you go out into the open world.

Not sure just how much damage boost I'm missing out on (and not really in the mood to go back through every page of this post to find the exact answer), but I don't think it's much.

You know... for what it's worth, it seems like the difference in damage in going with the 69/63/61 or the 46/46/46 blue combo are both fairly minimal advantages in damage over the Obroan (or even Conqueror) MH/OH.

Personally, I haven't felt overly compelled to change out from my Obroan MH/Conqueror OH. Using those also has the added benefit of not requiring that you swap out weapons if you go out into the open world.

Not sure just how much damage boost I'm missing out on (and not really in the mood to go back through every page of this post to find the exact answer), but I don't think it's much.

Actually, iirc what bolster changes are going to happen, what I have been saying about the weapon damage in 46/46/46 is true. If you have a class that has viable weapon based attacks, don't use 46. Stick with PvP ones or 69/66 hilt/barrel builds...

But yeah, at the end of the day even those are minor...

Yep, pretty f***ing stupid eh?

yeah, that doesn't make any sense. I expected Rated to have zero bolstering for expertise or partial expertise bolstering, not full.

Now, from what I am understanding, as long as I get my 4 piece bonus (or 2 depending on class/spec) and my PvP relics (because PvE ones do not work in PvP), the rest of my gear can pretty much be level 45 blues or an assortment of mods as long as I don't go above a certain threshold on each item.

That makes ABSOLUTELY no sense.

Edited by illgot

Form PTS Game Update 2.7 - Invasion Patch Notes (Last Updated: March 6th, 2014):

(http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=724869)

"Corrected an issue that would cause combinations of lower level mods (such as the popular 46 blue mods) and higher level color crystals (including those from the Cartel Market) to result in a higher Bolster bonus than intended."

Is this now the end of this so called "bolster bug"?

Form PTS Game Update 2.7 - Invasion Patch Notes (Last Updated: March 6th, 2014):

(http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=724869)

"Corrected an issue that would cause combinations of lower level mods (such as the popular 46 blue mods) and higher level color crystals (including those from the Cartel Market) to result in a higher Bolster bonus than intended."

Is this now the end of this so called "bolster bug"?

Doesn't change anything. They also said they were increasing weapon damage, which means the 46 mods were only viable for force/tech classes in the first place. This patch still doesn't "fix" the issue of bolster being increases everytime a new PvP gear tier comes out. Outside of the weapons bolster nerf, Obroan will be relegated to third best over whatever PvE combo yields max EXP.

Most of the stuff in the OP will still be applicable, just change the names and the cutoff numbers.

Doesn't change anything. They also said they were increasing weapon damage, which means the 46 mods were only viable for force/tech classes in the first place. This patch still doesn't "fix" the issue of bolster being increases everytime a new PvP gear tier comes out. Outside of the weapons bolster nerf, Obroan will be relegated to third best over whatever PvE combo yields max EXP.

Most of the stuff in the OP will still be applicable, just change the names and the cutoff numbers.

No wonder my op was so much more effective than my jugg using it. It'll be interesting to see how said jugg plays out when using real gear :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

I have never done PVP before but I am trying to learn about it before I delve into it. My questions:

What is Bolster? (please dont laugh. Ive never played an MMO so I have no idea)

My friends talk about how they dont have their PVP gear on. Does that mean you dont wear your PVP gear in PVE? Why cant you?

I have never done PVP before but I am trying to learn about it before I delve into it. My questions:

What is Bolster? (please dont laugh. Ive never played an MMO so I have no idea)

My friends talk about how they dont have their PVP gear on. Does that mean you dont wear your PVP gear in PVE? Why cant you?

Bolster is a PvP formula that automatically increases your HP, main stat, and Expertise to a certain level. Since bolster is present in all warzones, PvP, the expertise, main, HP on PvP gear is moot, outside of a few considerations detailed in the OP.

Frankly, PvP gear is better for most endgame PvE content (except for top tier raids), than it is for PvP. I use my PvP gear to do HMFP and HM Ops without any issue, but I am using PvE weapons, as they get max bolster I'm WZs and they are 66/69/58, so they are still strong enough for FPs/OpS

Berserker > PvE combo > Obroan ... So, did you notice if, say, 69 or 72 gear is bolstered above Obroan? And I thought that the developers said Bolster was still going to be within 5% of Obroan (which is an improvement over live in the sense that obroan will be the new entry-level pvp gear). I thought the patch notes said that Bolster was taking into account the new tiers of pvE gear (not pvp)?

Edited by phalczen

Thank you.

Bolster is a PvP formula that automatically increases your HP, main stat, and Expertise to a certain level. Since bolster is present in all warzones, PvP, the expertise, main, HP on PvP gear is moot, outside of a few considerations detailed in the OP.

Frankly, PvP gear is better for most endgame PvE content (except for top tier raids), than it is for PvP. I use my PvP gear to do HMFP and HM Ops without any issue, but I am using PvE weapons, as they get max bolster I'm WZs and they are 66/69/58, so they are still strong enough for FPs/OpS