Same gender romance discussion

CommunitySupport

*sigh* I saw this but....I dunno.

I feel like it's more PR spin. I don't have faith in EA anymore.

http://dulfy.net/2013/03/25/swtor-rise-of-the-hutt-cartel-interview-with-bioware-developer-brian-audette/

Seems like they are saying that they will probably not be modifying existing companion stories for SGRA and future SGRA content will be with new story stuff (could still be new story stuff with existing companions or new companions).

I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like they are saying that they will probably not be modifying existing companion stories for SGRA and future SGRA content will be with new story stuff (could still be new story stuff with existing companions or new companions).

I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.

Let's assume that by "existing storylines" they mean backwards compatible romances and throwing SGR [Flirt]s into the pre-50 planetary and story content (former being companions and non-companion romances that exist, latter being stuff like that cute guy in the Nar Shadda bonus series), then that's "not so bad" - not great, but not ultra-terrible either.

That being said, the phrase was "bit difficult" not utterly impossible. Hopefully that means they're working out the coding and pacing and whether or not making these romances available to +10k companion affection players is possible and then, presumably, how to proceed from there.

Perhaps Mr. Musco could enlighten us further on the wording in this interview, but given how quiet Bioware has been on SGR/A's since Mr. Gonzalez dropped the bomb that "SGR means Same Gender [Flirt]s", I somehow doubt he has any information to give us. Worth a shot though, it was spoken of in an interview.

That being said, the phrase was "bit difficult" not utterly impossible. Hopefully that means they're working out the coding and pacing and whether or not making these romances available to +10k companion affection players is possible and then, presumably, how to proceed from there.

Agree! I for one am still hopeful.

Agree! I for one am still hopeful.

" Unfortunately, this will take a lot more work than we realized at the time and it (like some other pieces of content we talked about earlier in the year) has been delayed as we focused on the changes required to take the game Free-to-Play. As we have said in the past, allowing same gender romance is something we are very supportive of. "

The fact that they're still talking about SGRA's with companions in a more present tense than we've had before, implies - to me, at least - that the idea itself has not been scrapped.

I also find it highly unlikely that Bioware actually do equate one-off [Flirt] opportunities and one-night-stands to fully scripted, multiple conversation romances and that as such, we are going to see companion romances in the future.

Now we just need to hear some good news about class stories...

I also find it highly unlikely that Bioware actually do equate one-off [Flirt] opportunities and one-night-stands to fully scripted, multiple conversation romances and that as such, we are going to see companion romances in the future.

Now we just need to hear some good news about class stories...

Indeed...........

Indeed...........

It would be refreshing to have a romance in this game that does not result in "Let's make babies!" or "Here's how I will protect you during the baby time."

I'm 24, cisfemale and married. I get baby crap at work, I don't want baby crap in my game*. My Warrior is not suddenly going to paint the war room pastel yellow and buy a mobile just because Quinn popped a ring on her finger.

*My husband is very supportive and agrees with my stance of "no". We have pet rats, they're pretty much the same.

Edited by Tatile

It would be refreshing to have a romance in this game that does not result in "Let's make babies!" or "Here's how I will protect you during the baby time."

I'm 24, cisfemale and married. I get baby crap at work, I don't want baby crap in my game*. My Warrior is not suddenly going to paint the war room pastel yellow and buy a mobile just because Quinn popped a ring on her finger.

*My husband is very supportive and agrees with my stance of "no". We have pet rats, they're pretty much the same.

You make it seem so appealing. :p

While in real life I have nothing against babies (just, you know, don't hold them to my face unless I ask you to), I'm not too fond of being reminded in a video game of what I'm reduced to often enough in the real world.

My MALE smuggler though.... if he found a way of getting hold of his offspring (and Corso seems to be certain such offspring exists somewhere) I can see us having a debate on intergalactic same-sex marriage and adoption right effing here in this thread.

I need you all to read up on and be prepared for that, just in case, you know. :cool::p

Edited by Lent_San

I support the idea of adoption - certainly in this war torn galaxy there's more than enough orphans to go around, and my Twi'lek Sorcerer would probably happily adopt a couple little mixed species br--darlings.

Pfft, I'm sure my Agent and Vector could provide a better home environment than whatever the Empire has got running around with the name of "orphanage" (probably "Reform School for Under Achieving Children. One in a hundred children goes to Korriban.), but that would only be if they wanted to, rather than this forced idea I'm currently seeing opposite-gender romances.

Because marriage=children, naturally :rolleyes:

And hey, rats are appealing. They're adorable and they don't talk back. Plus you can teach them tricks.

I support the idea of adoption - certainly in this war torn galaxy there's more than enough orphans to go around, and my Twi'lek Sorcerer would probably happily adopt a couple little mixed species br--darlings.

Pfft, I'm sure my Agent and Vector could provide a better home environment than whatever the Empire has got running around ...

Well, Corso and smuggler guy already figured all of that out without SGR even being implemented. I just need that to happen in the game now and not only allusions of Corso being the "uncle" and, you know, smuggler guy being the best thing that ever happened to him. :p

I do see your point, definitely. War-torn galaxy, orphans.... basically Corso was one of them!

So OF COURSE there would be SG marriage in some shape or form and of course they would adopt. This obvious thing makes discussing it a little more difficult though. :p

And hey, rats are appealing. They're adorable and they don't talk back. Plus you can teach them tricks.

I love rats! I just love cats more and cats and rats in one household.... ouch. Don't think that would work.

Hey Tatile,

As for the SGRA stuff, I know for now we are only really talking what is coming in Rise of the Hutt Cartel. I know there are a few other questions still pending but any "future" content, I have no answers right now. My hope is sometime after RotHC comes out to work on more directly addressing those questions. No promises of course but I am always trying!

-eric

I like Mr. Musco, he's pretty good at getting replies out :)

(I sent a PM asking for clarification on the recent Dulfy interview and the talk about story content, so it seemed appropriate to also ask about future SGRA content.)

Careful, though, his answers to dragged-out topics seem to be " **** you, and the horse you rode in."

Or maybe that's just for APACers. Ah well, it was fun while it lasted. Hopefully, you guys get something more than our "chopping off the foot to treat an in-grown toenail".

Looks like a picture of an SGR kiss on the site here hehe http://dulfy.net/2013/03/26/swtor-makeb-macrobinoculars-and-seeker-droids-preview/

Dulfy reported she found female to female flirts on the republic side and male to male on empire side, not sure if there were things she didn't find at this point yet, though.

Edited by chuixupu

Well, I guess it's good I've mainly been playing Republic.

Edit: though, still don't believe it's limited per faction...that's kind of dumb.

If what Dulfy posted on her site regarding this is true, well, I say BW's moronic and crappy way of handling this has reach its peak. I hope there's more to it.

If what Dulfy posted on her site regarding this is true, well, I say BW's moronic and crappy way of handling this has reach its peak. I hope there's more to it.

I was thinking that if her Sorc was in a current romance with Andronikos (sp?), that it's possible the new flirt options didn't show up...we'll have to wait and see I suppose.

What in the hell?!

Seriously? Bio....to hell with that, EA is SCREWING the LGBT community by limiting it to faction?!?! What is this...?!?!

That is some VERY LAZY CRAP!

Edit: There is ALOT of very VULGAR words I want to use right now. But what I want is some ANSWERS on this. This is outrageous!

SGR items further down in the article.

Edited by DarkTrooperV

Whoa whoa whoa whoa...

I'd like to see more thorough implementation of SGR too, but SCREWING THE LGBT COMMUNITY?!

Let's be very clear: BioWare doesn't owe you anything.

This is the same attitude of entitlement that gamers have shown about EVERY issue.

So for the last year and nearly six months that these people have been pouring their hearts out for this cause, they should just accept this?

This....half baked version of it? I'm sorry. That's like only giving you an ice cream cone with no ice cream when you paid full price for an Ice Cream Cone, ice cream included.

I'm not going to say anything else because of how infuriating this is.

What in the hell?!

Seriously? Bio....to hell with that, EA is SCREWING the LGBT community by limiting it to faction?!?! What is this...?!?!

That is some VERY LAZY CRAP!

Edit: There is ALOT of very VULGAR words I want to use right now. But what I want is some ANSWERS on this. This is outrageous!

SGR items further down in the article.

I highly doubt it is F/F for Rep and M/M for Emp only. It's probably only what the reviewer found and thus reported on.

I highly doubt it is F/F for Rep and M/M for Emp only. It's probably only what the reviewer found and thus reported on.

From the comments section:

dulfy Mod Shay • 2 hours ago

I can confirm no female/female for empire but I havn't played a male republic toon to confirm/deny male/male stuff in republic. I am guessing no though.

Whoa whoa whoa whoa...

I'd like to see more thorough implementation of SGR too, but SCREWING THE LGBT COMMUNITY?!

Let's be very clear: BioWare doesn't owe you anything.

This is the same attitude of entitlement that gamers have shown about EVERY issue.

Whether BW:A owes the LGBT community anything or not is one thing but throwing the word 'entitlement' around does nothing to further your point of view. Wanting equality is not the same thing as having a misplaced sense of entitlement.

I don't see it as a problem.

1. They're adding SGR where it makes sense for the story, rather than just to have a "token gay" on each faction. I would very much prefer a high quality, convincing story rather than several low-quality ones that are clearly there just because the fans complained enough for it.

2. ME1 had only F/F.

3. The fact that it exists right now means there will most likely be future SGR.

4. It encourages players to play both factions.

Edited by Jenzali