Commando 50 lvl PVP. Is it THAT bad?

Morthe

Hi

I got 27 lvl commando dps . For now warzones are tons of fun with my commando but when i read the forums i start to worry about lvl 50 pvp warzones. Is it REALLY THAT BAD? Is there no fun in WZ when you play commando? Are commandos really so weak (i dont feel weak now...) in 50 lvl cap?

I got also gunslinger 21 lvl and dont know shoul i stay on my commando or play gunslinger.

Sry for bad english :)

Oh, don't take everything here all the serious. I do just fine in 50 PvP. Once you grind out your Battlemaster and then some War Hero gear, you will be okay as long as you possess some skill. That being said:

1 - You will likely never attain elite status - we simply can't survive as well as other DPS classes. You will read over and over that you are a support class. Once you are noticed, it is very tough to go toe-to-toe and survive with any other class. Not impossible, but at the highest levels of play, commandos do tend to get blown up.

2 - I also dominated 10 - 49. You get quite a few n00bs and quite a few players that don't yet understand that leaving a Commando alone to rain down hate and discontent is a bad idea. By 50, you have enough competent players that when they see a Commando they know they can quickly take you out of the fight.

If you enjoy your class, stick with it. Explore the Combat Medic tree (this is actually quite viable in 50 PvP, but takes quite a bit of skill).

I hear Gunslingers are fun, but don't have one so can't comment on that.

I hear Gunslingers are fun, but don't have one so can't comment on that.

I have a level 32 Lethality Sniper. They're fun, but suffer from a lot of the same issues as Commando/Merc IMO. You have to stand still for your big shots, have no stealth, they have NO heals (Merc/Commando has SOME at least) and are a primary target for stealthers (I also have a level 50 Concealment Op).

Any DPS class lacking stealth will have issues in PvP. Tanks are hard to kill so are sometimes ignored, good healers are hard to kill as well. DPS, it's a matter of who does more damage faster.

The one thing Commandos have that acts like a giant red light, though, is that cannon. As sexy as it it, it's also a dead giveaway.

I have a level 32 Lethality Sniper. They're fun, but suffer from a lot of the same issues as Commando/Merc IMO. You have to stand still for your big shots, have no stealth, they have NO heals (Merc/Commando has SOME at least) and are a primary target for stealthers (I also have a level 50 Concealment Op).

I would trade my woefully ineffective gunnery heals for near constant leap immunity, a ranged immobilize and a 30m range AoE mez in an instant.

I would trade my woefully ineffective gunnery heals for near constant leap immunity, a ranged immobilize and a 30m range AoE mez in an instant.
^ This. I have a 50 Gunslinger, two 50 Commandos, and one 50 Vanguard. Gunslinger/sniper is the true turret class, not commando. Damage mitigation in cover, damage mitigation when exiting cover (Ballistic Dampers), immunity to leaps/pulls in cover, Hunker Down (immunity to all controlling effects) on a relatively short cooldown, an AoE root on the Knock Back, an instant AoE mez, a ranged single-target root...the list goes on. Gunslinger/Sniper simply has a much larger toolkit than Commando/Merc for being an effective turret class (not to mention the extra 5m range). Commando/Mercs are a de facto melee class (a severely handicapped one at that) due to their inability to maintain range and the lack of effective tools to regain range once they've lost it. Edited by klham

If its your 1st 50 then no its not that bad.

If you have played pratically any other class at 50 then yes it is that bad.

I unfortunately have a PT pyro and a Mando assault, although the mando is supposed to be the slightly more DPS spec it isn't and not by a long shot.

PT pyro has an ability that auto triggers cell/cylinder without blowing 3 energy at a time on IR.

PT Pyro has instant use rail shot resets allowing railshot to be used at least twice as often IMO

PT pyro damage type bypasses armor for the most part

Pt Pyro has so much more utility

But I persist with the mando I prefer republic I do just fine with it as others say a lot of it is about the player I do however feel it needs some changes to buff it up or every other class has to be nerfed.

AP and SG should not be able to be dispelled, I am piss sick of putting both on for a cloaker to pop cloak or mara pop there skill which removes 2 of our biggest hitting skills this would also give us more utility as we could time these with when we believe they may pop, charged bolts needs to not be charged or come down to 0.5 so it can be used as a valid railshot reset. Return Cryo to 30m range for Mando make it a passive. If we are closed to 10m its too late already. Then we might just might be a valid DPS class once again.

I only returned a few weeks ago and am in full BM armor with WH main and off but those above are the limitations I see with the assault spec of the Commando in PVP the less said about gunnery the better thats just been outright fooked since 1.1 or 1.2 when the crying kiddies got their way and demo round got nerfed to hell.

Edited by thamightyboro

Yes, Gunnery is messed. The only way it really works is if you're dps'ing from a corner way off-node while your team keeps everyone busy...but be prepared to get ripped off on medals when you do that. Every commando talent tree is underwhelming in its respective specialization, actually. There is nothing the commando does in any specialization that another AC doesn't do better. In short,a player has to really love the AC to play it, otherwise it's miserable in high-level PvP unless you're with a really good group that heals & peels for you constantly. But even then, you have to be baby-sat. - you can't reliably solo-guard a node against any other AC 1V1. The commando is a hard-counter to no other AC in the game. Edited by klham

Yes, it is that bad. In a full match I am doing consistenly about 50% less damage output from the top dps classes, 300k compared to 450k, 400k to 600k. The issue is when under pressure the commando puts out almost 0 dps. We have to kite when someone even sneezes our way and hope a team member helps peel so we can survive and continue our slow ramp up to our good burst. If we are allowed to stand there for the 10+ seconds we need to put up a full barrage of abilities then we are on par with the other classes...but what idiot is going to let us stand there and blow them up like that. It gets much worse for us in the competative braket...teams won't even touch a gunnery much less any dps commando there. Not to mention Huttball is an abysmal joke on commando atm. They need to look at the way our abilites work. Demo round needs to hit harder and improve our damage from full auto and grav round AND put a vulnerability on the target for hib to work off of. This would seperate our burst from all the stupid crap that we have to go through right now to even get out a nice shot. HIBs damage buff needs to be seperated from our instant heal so we can do either...not one or the other. The list of improvements would be long and necessary...but buff the class until people start to complain about us...that is where you know we are in balance once again.

I'll repeat myself:

Commando is at the moment the most challenging class to play. And dps commando is even more challenging than healing.

^ True. There's no room for mistakes with commando in PvP - rotation, movement, positioning, use of cooldowns. You have to know what you're doing even when you 1v1 mediocre players because you'll lose if you don't get everything off just right.

^ True. There's no room for mistakes with commando in PvP - rotation, movement, positioning, use of cooldowns. You have to know what you're doing even when you 1v1 mediocre players because you'll lose if you don't get everything off just right.

And even if you do everything just right that is no guarantee of anything. I won't heal again, and I hate assault on commando. I guess I will cancel until bioware pulls their head from their collective butts and puts the game back on a level playing field for pvp. Every bioware dev should be force to play gunnery in rated for a year just to punish them for such fail.

Every bioware dev should be force to play gunnery in rated for a year just to punish them for such fail.
/signed. I'm holding out to see what they come up with in the next patch or so.

Btw, I didn't like Assault either, on my commando nor my vanguard (I play my vanguard in the decidedly non-fotm Tactics spec). Healing with commando sucks in PvP relative to healing with sage or scoundrel. No escapes, no effective mobile self-heals when under pressure, weak AoE heal, weak in the CC department, etc. Basically a sitting duck hoping for a rescue most of the time.

Edited by klham

/signed. I'm holding out to see what they come up with in the next patch or so.

Btw, I didn't like Assault either, on my commando nor my vanguard (I play my vanguard in the decidedly non-fotm Tactics spec). Healing with commando sucks in PvP relative to healing with sage or scoundrel. No escapes, no effective mobile self-heals when under pressure, weak AoE heal, weak in the CC department, etc. Basically a sitting duck hoping for a rescue most of the time.

I'll agree with you on the escape/CC issues. An unguarded commando medic is pretty easy killing by most classes.

But both sages and commandos are pretty close on the self-heals while moving. Rejuvenate (HoT) has a 9s cooldown, and heals for about as much as kolto bomb on a 6s CD. Force mend heals for more than bacta infusion, but has a 30s cool down. If you are talking about healing others on the move, sages are limited to their HoT and force armor. Commandos can use KB, BI, and HS. I haven't played a scoundrel healer, but they do seem to be a bit more effective on the move than either CMs or sages.

Also KB is actually much more useful than salvation in PvP. It heals for a moderate amount, is instant so cannot be interrupted, plus it can be used on the move, and is on a quite short cool down. We probably even edge out the scoundrel AoE here due to theirs being a HoT.

Edited by NoFishing

I can't comment on 50 but I can on release and now. I played for a few months, left, then came back and started another commando just recently. All I can say is that it's completely different then vs. now. I take too much damage, can't mitigate it and don't do as much as I used to. It's a triple whammy or at least it feels that way. Actually it's more than that because sentinels and even juggernauts just tear me apart now and it wasn't like that at release. I also feel like my bolstered grav round is hitting for at least 20% less but that might be my imagination.

I really like the whole feel of the class, especially leveling, but I can't see how the class even functions at 50, assuming the players are better. I sit in a steady stream of interrupts while melting and these are pugs which I assume are just a bunch of people more noobish than I'm rusty. Or, I run away, spam my instants, acting, effectively, like I'm a melee class who carries the big gun around just so he can hit people with it. The only place I get a small break from that is Hutt Ball or if I can get the ledge in the middle of the Alderaan map.

Ah well, probably gonna have to level a gunslinger to compensate for this mess.

Yes, it is that bad. In a full match I am doing consistenly about 50% less damage output from the top dps classes, 300k compared to 450k, 400k to 600k. The issue is when under pressure the commando puts out almost 0 dps. We have to kite when someone even sneezes our way and hope a team member helps peel so we can survive and continue our slow ramp up to our good burst. If we are allowed to stand there for the 10+ seconds we need to put up a full barrage of abilities then we are on par with the other classes...but what idiot is going to let us stand there and blow them up like that. It gets much worse for us in the competative braket...teams won't even touch a gunnery much less any dps commando there. Not to mention Huttball is an abysmal joke on commando atm. They need to look at the way our abilites work. Demo round needs to hit harder and improve our damage from full auto and grav round AND put a vulnerability on the target for hib to work off of. This would seperate our burst from all the stupid crap that we have to go through right now to even get out a nice shot. HIBs damage buff needs to be seperated from our instant heal so we can do either...not one or the other. The list of improvements would be long and necessary...but buff the class until people start to complain about us...that is where you know we are in balance once again.

Yeah, even if we are on heal spec people rather take some other healer class :D We need all around buff ASAP.

It will be bad if you don't have the skill. You'd be better off with a VG or any other melee class. To be good at 50 pvp with a Commando, you need to know every class in and out, use LOS properly, and be able to kite like a pro. It takes a lot of work... too much work.

Also, Assault is the best spec for PVP.

Edited by Asukaa

It will be bad if you don't have the skill. You'd be better off with a VG or any other melee class. To be good at 50 pvp with a Commando, you need to know every class in and out, use LOS properly, and be able to kite like a pro. It takes a lot of work... too much work.

Also, Assault is the best spec for PVP.

If you are skilled with commando assault then VG assault will be head and shoulders the better class to play since that skill will translate into higher performance on a class that happens to be on par with most of the upper echelon classes. A skilled commando is still of average benefit as dps.

Edited by Aaoogaa

It's not as bad as lot of people say it is; if you like it and have some skill in 10-49 you can still enjoy it at 50. And with the ease of getting Warhero gear now you don't spend nearly as long being discouraged by near insta-kills. However you will never be the top performer unless you play a very green team.

The problem is we're most vulnerable of all classes to the current FOTM leap smashing sith warriors. Others can run, hide, or block the leap but we're stuck there. They know this and will target you before anybody else, even healers. If they notice you the best you can be is fodder. If they don't notice you your can see the benefits of the class, you can unload a lot of damage at the range of a sniper and a lot of it can be done while on the run.

If you want to be a good commando stay at about 29m away from the enemy.

Try to stand in places where only your target notices you.

Never stay in one place more than a few seconds (hammer shot on the run).

Keep lightsaber users between 5-9m away.

Learn to strafe shot, running full speed sideways shooting at the enemy chasing you.

Believe it or not they mainly go after you for the easy kill, if you make it difficult for them a lot will leave and go after somebody else. I've been really surprised in the last few days how often I'm down to 50% health and the Marauder loses interest and runs off leaving me to shoot them in the back all 30 meters as they go.

Whatever happened to Grav/Tracer spam? I remember getting dominated by that and had to either burn my combat stealth or pop shields/dodge and find the right place to LOS. Was pretty fun actually!

They were bugged and doing 2x the armour pen they were meant to.

Also the stacks they put up were buffing the demolition round/heatseeking missile attack by 50% instead of 25%. Also counted every other armour debuff from any other class as a buff as well so it could ramp up the damage to ridiculous levels.

So that was corrected.

Then Grav/Tracer was nerfed in damage by 10% for good measure.

That's what happened to grav/tracer spam.

They were bugged and doing 2x the armour pen they were meant to.

Also the stacks they put up were buffing the demolition round/heatseeking missile attack by 50% instead of 25%. Also counted every other armour debuff from any other class as a buff as well so it could ramp up the damage to ridiculous levels.

So that was corrected.

Then Grav/Tracer was nerfed in damage by 10% for good measure.

That's what happened to grav/tracer spam.

Actually the damage was nerfed, THEN they fixed the stacking vortices buff issue which completely negated the "damage rebalancing" that was supposed to happen for DR to balance out that damage nerf. THEN they nerfed armor breaks stacking.

Then they buffed smash, because why SHOULDN'T a class be able to have an autocrit super buffed armor penetrating AoE.

Whatever happened to Grav/Tracer spam? I remember getting dominated by that and had to either burn my combat stealth or pop shields/dodge and find the right place to LOS. Was pretty fun actually!

People learned how to press the interrupt button.