Why Macros belong in TOR.

_compton_

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a full 1.5 sec gcd for you to hit your next ability if you need a macro to do that I'm sry but your just gonna be bad

Besides so many rotations require procs that are no way garenteed to occur macros would only works with a few specs thus creating an imbalance

• 2 weeks later...
Here's an interesting thing some people clearly don't understand. Macros are programming written in a proprietary language created by the developers to work in their game. They can add or leave out whichever functions they wish, so it would not need to be the same as wow. They could choose to leave out the pause function, making an I win button impossible, or even disallow chained if-else (or a specific level of chaining, like 2 is okay, but not 3) which would make 1 button spamming nigh impossible as well. I, for one, would appreciate a mouseover macro because it takes out less of the hardware side of having to click each target before pressing the heal button. Macros are a great way to equalize hardware differences, too. For instance, if someone has a mouse with 30 buttons, they have easier access to many abilities than I do, having to bind alt + [whatever] or shift + [whatever]. With if-else macros, I can put both my offensive and healing abilities on the same bar by making them perform an attack when targeting an enemy and a heal when targeting a friendly. That is a far cry from an I win button.

Immediately upon logging into the game initially during early access, I set my keybinds, and then typed "/m" into the chatbox, intending to get a feel for macro function within the game. I was surprised, as were many of my friends, guild mates and others that I've spoken to, when nothing was forthcoming. I went straight to google, and my query was "SWTOR macro support?". My jaw literally dropped as, on the first link I followed, I read that there would be no macro support at launch.

The lack of macro support in tandem with focus functionality initially inhibited me, and many others I've spoken with, from playing as effectively as we feel that we are capable of, and by extension, decreased the amount of enjoyment we were able to derive from PvPing in this game.

Here's why: No one can deny, a large portion of SWTOR players are going to be coming either directly from WoW, or will at least be players with prior experience with that particularly behemoth. If you ask any competitive PvP player in WoW, focus and macro functionality are absolutely vital to maximize efficiency. In addition, many healers will find their ability to effectively heal a large group impacted by a lack of mouse-over macros, another staple of the competitive WoW PvP and PvE communities.

Before you point out "this is not WoW", we're all aware it isn't, obviously. But not supporting features that detract nothing from the game and would be welcomed (and the absence of which is already negatively affecting the experience of many people I know personally within the game) is silly.

Many aspects of this game and the systems within it are derived indirectly from other MMOs, WoW included and probably the most prevalent due to it's size and popularity. Macros and focus are a staple within WoW particularly at end-game and proliferate even more at higher levels of competition, both within the PvP and PvE communities. I'm positive that competitive PvE and PvP scenes are something that Bioware wants to cultivate and foster within TOR - the development of these scenes would benefit the game hugely. It is within the best interests of the games success and the developers to attract as many players as possible and to facilitate truly competitive gameplay. I believe that Macro and Focus support are vital to the realization of this eventuality, and that is the bottom line imo.

There is nothing about macro and focus use that suggests "skill-less". Ask yourself, what is easier to manage? A single target, or multiple targets, each of which could be casting spells or performing abilities that you need to maintain awareness of at all times? The only people who dislike macros in this context either were unable to use them properly, or were unwilling to even try using them initially.

Bottom line, macros, particularly in a PvP scenario and particularly in concert with focus, should be supported and available to those who wish to utilize them.

Finally, please, please discuss this. Opinions from every perspective are valid, and I know there are players who both vehemently support and oppose the advent of macros within TOR.

If you agree that macros do belong in the game, why?

If you believe the implementation of macros would harm the game, why?

EDIT FOR BREVITY!

Here's a condensed version/TL;DR for everyone unwilling to devote the time to read everything said above:

-The lack of Macro and Focus functionality/support within the game inhibits the play experience. Particularly for those coming from other games (WoW being the most prevalent) that are used to the increased effectiveness macro use facilitates.

-Macros and Focus are vital elements in a truly competitive PvP/PvE scene, the development of which can ONLY benefit the Game as a whole.

-Not supporting features that detract nothing from the game and would be welcomed (and the absence of which is already negatively affecting the experience of many people I know personally within the game) is silly.

-Macro use, particularly in tandem with focus, is not "skill-less" but the converse. It adds complexity to the game.

-Discuss!

IMPORTANT: I am NOT necessarily asking for support for completely customizable macros, but support for what I believe are two functions VITAL to competitive and satisfying gameplay:

-Focus Macro Support

and

-Mouseover Macro support

MACROS ARE NOT ADDONS. Here's the disparity, and it's a fundamental one. Addons are pieces of coding written by 3rd parties which alter the User interface, primarily. Macros are lines of text written WITHIN THE GAME, that do not alter the UI, change any frames, or give you information you wouldn't otherwise have access to. What I am asking for is NOT an IWIN single button spam for multiple abilities.

"Macros are a pretty broad term for certain convenience and advanced user functions at this time. Some of those features are present as possible key binds in the game, others are not.

We’re not opposed to macros, we don’t hate them, in fact we will probably add them, but probably not for launch."

-Georg Zoeller

WHAT I AM ACTUALLY ASKING FOR SUPPORT FOR:

Focus macro functionality to use with the focus frames that are already within the game. Such a macro would look like this:

/cast [target=focus] "abilityname"

Here's a mouseover macro -

/cast [target=mouseover] "abilityname"

Devilishly complicated, right?

You can shine a turd all you want but a turd is a turd and Macro's is pure easy mode period and you know it.

PvP is more competitive with out here and it shows.

• 3 weeks later...

I have read this thread and the controversy about macros.

I am in full support of the use macros.

I have used them in my WOW days. They do not make the game any easier, play better, or give a higher skill level. They only assisst in micro managing the game play especially for one who lost the use of his right hand.

What makes it nice is the fact that it would be available to use if you wanted to use them.

This would allow the individual player the choice.

My conclusion is this, those who are opposed to the use of macros, the answer is quite simple:

JUST DON'T USE THEM!!! Just because you don't like them for whatever reason does not give you the right to bash and insult those who would like to use them.

Please present your arguement in a clear, calm and intelligent manner. Do not bash, insult, or degrade those; doing so by the way, is considered cyber bulling; who would be in support of allowing the use of macros.

I have read this thread and the controversy about macros.

I am in full support of the use macros.

I have used them in my WOW days. They do not make the game any easier, play better, or give a higher skill level. They only assisst in micro managing the game play especially for one who lost the use of his right hand.

What makes it nice is the fact that it would be available to use if you wanted to use them.

This would allow the individual player the choice.

My conclusion is this, those who are opposed to the use of macros, the answer is quite simple:

JUST DON'T USE THEM!!! Just because you don't like them for whatever reason does not give you the right to bash and insult those who would like to use them.

Please present your arguement in a clear, calm and intelligent manner. Do not bash, insult, or degrade those; doing so by the way, is considered cyber bulling; who would be in support of allowing the use of macros.

As stated before, it's not a matter of choice. It's a matter of making things too easy. I'm a firm believer in having to press each and every skill/button/consumable/etc... because it shows that you know exactly what you're supposed to do, exactly when you're supposed to do it.

As far as targeting functionality, that's why we already have focus modifiers and a keyboard shortcut to set your focus. Just on the fly, set focus, then use focus modifier if you want to cast on that person. Set different focus targets on the fly like good players do. I already do this ALL the time with both my commando healer and my guardian (for guardian leap).

Being able to do all these from single button press is wayyyyyyy too easy.

Yes, mousing over a player's health and clicking the same button over and over takes skill, a hell of a lot more than actually thinking about what skill to use under what conditions on the run while being focused. Sure, you can make macros "more efficient," but where's the skill in it? I mean, people using aimbots in CS:Source still have to move around, but they'll just shoot everyone as efficiently as possible.

No Macros, learn to use the focus modifier and heal the old fashioned way. You claim that macros streamline the process, by definition streamline means making it easier. Yet you also claim that macros dont make it easier. Which is it?

Also once macros are introduced to the game, there is no choice in using them. You must use them to be competitive, because all the top PvPers will be using them, because it makes PvP easier. If using a mouse over macro save you 1 sec on casting a heal on someone, the person not using mouse over macros will be left behind, not because his skill is worse but because he doesnt use macros. To be competitive in a game where there are macros, you must use them, cause your enemy is, regardless if you like them or not.

Macros give the user a distinct advantage. I was in a rateds match and a scoundrel healer on the opposing team used a macro where he could instantly change his spec by pressing one button. It took him all of 2 seconds. Usually if someone respecs in game it takes about 15-30 seconds which is an eternity in pvp. Mid fight he repecs from heals to dps. Now he has new cd and new skills to stop caps or kill people. There was a guy earlier saying he couldn't use his right hand and wanted to play so he has to use macros. I understand that, but a guy who can use both hands should not be allowed to use it if the game does not permit it.

No Macros, learn to use the focus modifier and heal the old fashioned way. You claim that macros streamline the process, by definition streamline means making it easier. Yet you also claim that macros dont make it easier. Which is it?

Also once macros are introduced to the game, there is no choice in using them. You must use them to be competitive, because all the top PvPers will be using them, because it makes PvP easier. If using a mouse over macro save you 1 sec on casting a heal on someone, the person not using mouse over macros will be left behind, not because his skill is worse but because he doesnt use macros. To be competitive in a game where there are macros, you must use them, cause your enemy is, regardless if you like them or not.

^^^^^ this

if you need/want macros so that you can reduce button pressing to 1 ability, buy a peripheral that allows you to do that.

i could create a macro for my g600 so that all my key abilities are bound to '1' and then just spam that single button the entire time. makes you a lot less flexible imo tho

I should have added this, and I do appologize for this...

There is not one MMORPG that will allow the "one button does it all" macro. Even within WOW, there is a limitation.

However, I sense that this addation will not matter.

I want to be clear, I am not in support of "one button does it all". I once again say, I am in full support of macros

Now, consider this:

If you say that macros will make the game easier, who is it making it easier for? you?

If your answer is yes, then do not partake of the wine. This would be your decission, this would be your choice.

The decision on using macros, if they were available, would be on the indivdual player. I.E. : I elect to use macros, you do not elect to use macros, that simple...Is this not a choice? Please correct me if this does not define making a choice to use them or not.

If you say in general, then please explain how this would be possible with out using the macros, if it were available.

If you say other players, then who are you to tell others what to do and how to play?

I served to protect our country from this way of thinking.

My real question is this, why are people so up in arms about the slighest, remote possibility, of a hint that, maybe one day in the far future the idea of macros could be disscused about being employed in the game?

Really, if this system was employed in the game, how would this affect you, your game, your over all experience of the game if you don't use it? It won't.

I could be wrong, however, I tend to think that those that are so against the use of macros, will not use it and the game will not change one bit for them.

As I usually do I make example from warhammer (sorry for that).

Class - Ironbreaker - tank

u have ability to choose oathriend (focus) and when u use your buffs u buff yourself and even your oathfriend. IB has tons of buff and debuffs.

Buff - armor, toughness, strength, parry, magic dmg absorb bubble, crit buff, corp resist buff

debuff - armor debuff, crit debuff, ST snare, aoe snare, heal debuff

also knockdown, challenge (aoe taunt - opponents deal 25% less dmg to every1 except u for X sec), taunt - interupt and 30% dmg increase for IB for 15sec or till enemy hit u 3 times

also u have to switch targets to apply guard (same as swtor one).

all these abilties are situational - why use armor when enemy have casters mainly, why buff corporeal when they deal spirit dmg.....I was playing that stunty for over 2 years and could be solid tank in pvp without macros. swtor is way easier when its up to number of abilites and against what enemy and when use it. macros just make your life easier. every class can be played without macros. just learn from your mistakes, play the class for some time and get used to it. after a while u will be using abilities automatically and fast enough.

so - no macros pls

If you say that macros will make the game easier, who is it making it easier for? you?

If your answer is yes, then do not partake of the wine. This would be your decission, this would be your choice.

The decision on using macros, if they were available, would be on the indivdual player. I.E. : I elect to use macros, you do not elect to use macros, that simple...Is this not a choice? Please correct me if this does not define making a choice to use them or not.

You obviously didnt read my previous post, macros give a competitive advantage, in order to stay competitive, one must use macros in that environment. The decision is made for all once it is introduced in the game. You like to use WOW for an example, so lets use that. Name any high rated Arena player that doesnt use Gladius, you cant because they all do. And in order to be competitive you have to use Gladius. This is a fact for WOW PvP.

Of course your response will be that Gladius is an addon and not a macro.

I will apply the same logic, name one high rated Paladin that doesnt use Avenging Wrath macro, name one mage one lock that doesnt use a cc macro at high rating, you cant because they all do, I know I played WOW with arena masters and HWL/GMS.

The choice is ripped from the player once it is introduced. To remain competitive you will have to use macros. Of course you could say that you dont have be competitive, but if thats the case then que up for PvP naked with no weapons if you dont want to be competitive, see how much fun that is.

Conclusion, no macros.

My last thought on this, for those of you who think this game is way too easy, then lets set your game up like this:

You are level 52 with high end gear and you die in a battle. When you call in a medical probe or go back to a med bay, you start back at level 1 with no gear other than the starter gear, no companions, and no crew skills.

If this was the only way to play, no one, even those that claim the game is way too easy would play.

What I am trying to say is this: if you think the game is way too easy, then this is your opinion, and your opinion only.

I support your right to your opinions, I do not support your opions becoming doctrine for the mass.

Play your way, let others do whatever they want.

I don't mean to presume, and I do apollogize for sounding presumptious , I was just hoping for real answers. I guess I was looking to understand why some would start a war if macros was introduced.

I would like to make a request at this time, could someone please post a link on how to install, program, and bind a custom built controller?

You obviously didnt read my previous post, macros give a competitive advantage, in order to stay competitive, one must use macros in that environment. The decision is made for all once it is introduced in the game. You like to use WOW for an example, so lets use that. Name any high rated Arena player that doesnt use Gladius, you cant because they all do. And in order to be competitive you have to use Gladius. This is a fact for WOW PvP.

Of course your response will be that Gladius is an addon and not a macro.

I will apply the same logic, name one high rated Paladin that doesnt use Avenging Wrath macro, name one mage one lock that doesnt use a cc macro at high rating, you cant because they all do, I know I played WOW with arena masters and HWL/GMS.

The choice is ripped from the player once it is introduced. To remain competitive you will have to use macros. Of course you could say that you dont have be competitive, but if thats the case then que up for PvP naked with no weapons if you dont want to be competitive, see how much fun that is.

Conclusion, no macros.

Thank you for taking the time to break that down, I can now see your point of view.

Honestly, I could care less if macros were allowed or not, as I am a casual player but a huge SW fan.

However, I would support the use of macros, but I know have somewhat of an understanding of why the strife.

However, playing with only one hand is like PVP'ing naked with no weapon. (RH damanged from active duty)

Currently my buddy is helping me build a custom controller.