Combat Medic First Impressions

SpaniardInfinity

I won't post the link because these changes are unofficial, but here's the changes that I've read which should be interesting for Combat Medics:

- Electro Net (general): Fires an electro net that ensnares the target, reducing its movement speed by 50% and dealing x energy damage over 9 seconds. The damage dealt by the electro net increases by 20% for every second that the target remains moving. This effect stacks up to 10 times on enemy players or up to 5 times on any other target. Additionally, the electro net hinders the target, preventing the use of high mobility actions and escapes such as charges, vanishes, and speed boosts. Lasts y seconds.

From a healer's perspective, the biggest thing here is that this will be a very useful tool to use against enemy melee DPS. I'm expecting the damage from this ability to light or possibly moderate, so I don't know how much the stacking damage will be (although at 10 stacks you are looking at 200% damage) but if its significant that alone should make melees think twice. I'm also seeing some value for this ability in Huttball against enemy ball carriers (they cannot leap, sprint, disengage and reset the ball, and if the damage is significant, it might force a pass).

Into the Fray: Increases the duration of Reactive Shield by x seconds. In addition, suffering direct damage from area attacks generates y energy cells and heals you for z% of your total health. This effect cannot occur more than once every 3 seconds.

There are some very interesting effects from this. I'm not sure if this will be a base line ability or skill (possibly in the shared tree), but this will be great for Combat Medics. No Combat Medic will complain about a longer lasting Reactive Shield (-25% damage reduction, +20% healing receive, 100% pushback resistance, interrupt immunity). Returning ammo for taking damage from an AoE effect is HUGE, and being healed for a % of your health (probably in the range of 1%to 3%) is a nice added bonus.

Kolto Bomb: Lobs a kolto bomb at the target area, exploding on impact. Heals up to 4 allies within 8 meters of the targeted area for x.

This one stumps me, simply because that's what Kolto Bomb already does. I'm not sure if this means this is becoming a base-line ability for ALL troopers, if there is a numbers change on Kolto Bomb that isn't clear based on the data, or some other change, but at this point I cannot figure out what is different. I look forward to seeing clarifications in the official notes.

Kolto Pods (Combat Medic tree) - Kolto Bomb leaves behind a pool of Kolto which heals allies for x over y seconds.

This sounds very much to me like a mini-Salvation, which will be an awesome addition to Combat Medics. This will definitely make group healing easier. I wonder how long the duration of the pool will be -- if it's more than the cooldown of Kolto Bomb, there's the possibility of overlapping the pools to maximize the effect. Another question is if there is still a 4-player cap on those who can be healed by the pool.

Kolto Wave (Combat Medic tree) - Concussive Charge now heals yourself and all allies within the range for x.

I have a feeling that Kolto Bomb is being given to all Troopers as a base ability, and that Kolto Wave will be its replacement in the tree. What's really interesting here is that it says it heals ALL allies in the range, which to my knowledge, would be the only heal in the game without an upper limit on affected players (Salvation actually has a limit of 8). Since it makes use of a 30-second cooldown, I'm expecting it to be one of our strongest heals. It will probably take Trauma Probe's (or maybe even Bacta Infusion's) place in the tree, with Trauma Probe hopping down to where Kolto Bomb is now (assuming Kolto Bomb is becoming a base-line ability).

Probe Medic (Combat Medic tree) - increases the healing of Trauma Probe x%, increases the number of charges by y, and reduces its rate limit by z.

Judging by the big boosts to group healing coming for Combat Medics, I'm expecting the 1-player limit on this ability remaining in tact and finally be justifiable. These are definitely three buffs, no question about it. It might even warrant an ammo cost of 3 or even 4 instead of the present 2, but we'll have to wait and see how big the increases are considering the multiplier, the additional stacks, and the faster rate.

Cell Capacitor - Recharge Cells now immediately recharges 1-3 additional cells, and grants 10% alacrity for x seconds.

It sounds to like this is becoming a 3-point skill as opposed to its current status at a 2-point skill. The alacrity bonus is nice and combined with First Responder might be reason enough to put even less alacrity on your gear.

Efficient Conversions - Reduces the cost of Concussion Charge, Concussive Round, and Cry Grenade by x.

Sounds like another 2-point skill become a 3-point skill, but I'm not completely sure how that would work unless those abilities start refunding ammo. Will wait to see official notes before making a conclusion here.

Field Triage - Advanced Medical Probe has x% chance to lower the cost of the next Medical Probe by 8 energy cells

At first glance there appears to be no change here, but there are two things that may indicate major changes to Combat Medic fundamentals. First, it appears that this is a one-point skill (it currently is 3 points). If x% chance isn't a 100% chance (same effect as present), then there will be some fundamental changes to the class' healing rotation. A second thing to notice is the second underline: "8 energy cells". Currently, the reduction from Field Triage is only 1 ammo (energy cells). Assuming these unofficial patch notes are correct (and aren't confusing energy cells with the Bounty Hunter's heat -- the mirror to Field Triage, Critical Efficient, DOES reduce the heat cost by 8), then this may indicate a change to our resource pool (since a reduction of 8 otherwise makes absolutely no sense on the current system). If that is the case, that will obviously be a massive mechanical change that will affect all Troopers; but I'll remain skeptical on such a radical change until I see the official notes.

First Responder: Critical results with healing or damage increase alacrity by x% for y seconds.

Appears this is becoming a 3-point skill and that is intended to be made a bigger part of our build. If the boost to alacrity is big enough, it might be reason enough to drop alacrity of your gear in favor of surge.

Frontline Medic: While affected by your own Trauma Probe, firing Hammer Shot at an enemy has a <<1>>% chance to trigger your Trauma Probe. This effect cannot occur more than once every 3 seconds, but this rate limit is separate from Trauma Probe's rate limit. This effect will not occur at full health.

Only change that sticks out to me is that the x% is probably no longer a 100% chance to proc. It may also no longer be a 2-point skill, but instead a 1-point skill. With the extra charges on Frontline Medic, this could be useful depending on what the proc chance is.

Med Zone: Increases all healing received by x% while Reactive Shield is active.

Appears to be another change to a 3 point skill (up from 2). Hopefully it has the same effect as present, but with other buffs the nerf to our healing received while shielded could very well be in order. Will wait for numbers before making a conclusion.

Supercharged Cells: Full Auto cost reduced by 100% while Supercharged

The above line is the only part of the Supercharged Cells effect that has changed, as far as I can tell. Mainly useful to hybrids or DPSing while Supercharged.

Overclock: Reduces the cooldown of Concussive Round by <<x>> seconds and Tech Override by <<y>> seconds. In addition, Tech Override has a <<z>>% chance to yield a second charge, making your next two abilities with an activation time activate instantly.

You can't see it, but I am doing a dance right now. This appears to be in the Gunnery tree so its my hope its low enough that Combat Medics can snatch it up, and if so, having more regular use of Tech Override -- with a chance to double proc! -- will drastically bolster utility.

i'm willing to bet that overclock is replacing the current skill reserve round (since they share an effect, and i've seen some people complain about the removal of reserve round from some of the datamined stuff), so i doubt non-gunnery will have access to it (sorry to burst your bubble, but it would be a nice skill for commandos of any spec in PVP)

i'm also willing to bet that a lot of skills the that are listed for change but don't seem to have any changes are simply being moved around the tree, although of course some of the base values could be being changed as well.

i don't think that kolto wave is going to be a significant heal, and i don't think kolto bomb is being given to all commandos. i'm willing to be that it's just a simple buff you can choose to take that will help in PVP (like frontline medic is now), but it sounds really cool.

i also think that field triage will be truncated down to a 1-point skill, but i'm hoping/thinking that the % chance is just a hold over from the current skill's language, and it will simply work exactly as it does now, just 1 point instead of 3.

also, i'm sure that the 8 is just from the common error that seems to be made when converting heat to ammo, and it will be 8 heat for mercs and 1 ammo for commandos.

for first responder, i saw one with 3% for [<<1>>/<<2>>/<<3>>] seconds, which leads me to believe it may have the alacrity boost lowered, but the duration raised (though i think it works fine as it is; i'm hoping it's just a rearranged skill)

i can't wait to see the values of probe medic. it could be so powerful it's just extremely broken, but at the lower end i'm sure it'll still be extremely awesome. i have a feeling we'll be casting trauma probe more than every 30s, but i'm 100% ok with that.

loving the cell capacitor boost for all classes.

also, kolto pods is the most amazing thing ever.

it doesn't say any limit on who it will heal, but i'm expecting they will put a four-person limit and/or not have an overwhelmingly powerful heal. also i'm not sure if you'll need to stay inside to receive all of the heal or just walk in and leave, but it helps a lot for commandos to control positioning during raids (like sages do with salvation now), rather than following the raid's grouping (or lack thereof and just trying to make the best of it)

Edited by oaceen

I won't post the link because these changes are unofficial, but here's the changes that I've read which should be interesting for Combat Medics:

- Electro Net (general): Fires an electro net that ensnares the target, reducing its movement speed by 50% and dealing x energy damage over 9 seconds. The damage dealt by the electro net increases by 20% for every second that the target remains moving. This effect stacks up to 10 times on enemy players or up to 5 times on any other target. Additionally, the electro net hinders the target, preventing the use of high mobility actions and escapes such as charges, vanishes, and speed boosts. Lasts y seconds.

would be nice i seen this getting the super nerf hammer or at the top of the tree with a high ammo cost making it near useless

Into the Fray: Increases the duration of Reactive Shield by x seconds. In addition, suffering direct damage from area attacks generates y energy cells and heals you for z% of your total health. This effect cannot occur more than once every 3 seconds.

this sounds like they are removing adrenal rush which is bad. this sound like it was stolen from the vanguard tank gear set bonus

Kolto Bomb: Lobs a kolto bomb at the target area, exploding on impact. Heals up to 4 allies within 8 meters of the targeted area for x.

i dunno maybe a base ability now?

Kolto Pods (Combat Medic tree) - Kolto Bomb leaves behind a pool of Kolto which heals allies for x over y seconds.

This sounds like salvation which would mean the first operation based heal for commandos but its most likely anoughter kolto bomb(4people maxed) and is on self unlike salvation. if it was on a full 8 i see sage and sorcs getting mad about this as commando would have more aoe heals than the other two classes and would then get nerf hammered.

Kolto Wave (Combat Medic tree) - Concussive Charge now heals yourself and all allies within the range for x.

i see this being our weakest heal for it being the lowest cost and i see this having a very short range for healing, more ment to replace hp from a leap in pvp which isn't very high.

Probe Medic (Combat Medic tree) - increases the healing of Trauma Probe x%, increases the number of charges by y, and reduces its rate limit by z.

trauma probe has always been a single target only so i this just as a buffer for it. im going to guess 5 charges and 10% increased healing with 1 sec rate limit reduced as this sounds like what is should be since trauma probe is no longer free.

Cell Capacitor - Recharge Cells now immediately recharges 1-3 additional cells, and grants 10% alacrity for x seconds.

this is just a buffer to a skill already in the combat medic tree so i don't see it helping much as recharge cell is 2minutes cooldown for its base

Efficient Conversions - Reduces the cost of Concussion Charge, Concussive Round, and Cry Grenade by x.

this is already a skill in the combat medic tree so i dunno if there is going to be any changes

Field Triage - Advanced Medical Probe has x% chance to lower the cost of the next Medical Probe by 8 energy cells

this just seems like someone made a typo on the 8 cells part as this is already in the tree as well

First Responder: Critical results with healing or damage increase alacrity by x% for y seconds.

already in tree don't plan on any changes here might go from the 2 point to a 3 point as a filler of point

btw not a big reason to go alacrity in your gear as it stands, its only helps slightly in pvp but in pve its a big waster of ur cells to cast heals to fast and not drop the green beam on people.

Frontline Medic: While affected by your own Trauma Probe, firing Hammer Shot at an enemy has a <<1>>% chance to trigger your Trauma Probe. This effect cannot occur more than once every 3 seconds, but this rate limit is separate from Trauma Probe's rate limit. This effect will not occur at full health.

nothing new here

Med Zone: Increases all healing received by x% while Reactive Shield is active.

same

Supercharged Cells: Full Auto cost reduced by 100% while Supercharged

the only thing i see here is that supercells now allows more for pvp healing commandos but not that much really

Overclock: Reduces the cooldown of Concussive Round by <<x>> seconds and Tech Override by <<y>> seconds. In addition, Tech Override has a <<z>>% chance to yield a second charge, making your next two abilities with an activation time activate instantly.

this looks more for the pvp players which good i guess. the concussive round already has a skill in the gunnery tree so maybe this is replacing it. the numbers im guessing are 15sec 30sec 25% with possible nerf hammer(s) later

Im almost 50 with my crapmando and i wasnt sure if trooper healers could do anything in 50 WZs. This maybe can change everything. Ill try it out. If i can stop myself from throwing the computer into the wall because im getting farmed in my recruit gear -.-