I do not agree with the inclusion of SGRs.

TheBBP

There is a single mega-thread on SGRAs in the Lore forum, true.

And roughly half of the posters in that thread argue with the cadre of vocal proponents.

If given the choice between a PVP balance patch and full Companion SGRA, which do you think the community would pick?

Given a choice between individualized Chapter 4s with the continuation of existing Companion arcs or full Companion SGRA, which do you think the community would pick?

New Flashpoints vs. SGRA?

New Operation vs. SGRA?

I am sorry, while there is a vocal minority of the playerbase that values this above the rest a quick glance across these forums demonstrates that the priorities of the majority-vocal playerbase is PVP balance and new story content.

Same-Gender Romance Arcs are generally sought...but not at the expense of the other content.

And yes, given the reality of financial-support development time spent on SGRAs is development time not spent on other story content by definition.

Bioware needs to balance PVP, address the multitude of year-old bugs, optimize its client, fulfill its obligations to the CE community, and then it can address SGRA along with new story content.

Flashpoints that are already obsolete? Operations that will be worse than obsolete in a month or so after the players reverse engineer the gear and sell it to anyone with the credits?

Balance PVP? Please point me to the MMO that has managed that particular feat.

Companion arcs like what? You married Jorgan-now the fun of adopted kids on the ship? The companion stories consist of buying gifts to get them to talk about their problems, run 2-3 missions for the one special companion, and then done.

Bug fixes? They've had since beta to fix some of them and haven't yet-why would a paltry few dollars saved from not recording a few lines make an impact on bugs?

CE buyers received what they were owed-the statue, the art book, whatever else was in it. Not Bioware's fault you spent so much on the game (or waited until they sold for 15-20 dollars yet still expect special treatment).

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. Just to keep this clear. I am NOT taking the stance that SGRs do not belong here. I know that they are coming and I am not against their implementation. My stance is that I believe that SGRs caters to a very small portion of the community and that there are other things that are far more important that would cater to and benefit far more people that could have been done.

Thanks to the folks who respond courteously and do not attempt to derail the discussion.

Then let me try respond to you as positively as I can. Your opinion as you say is yours as such you are free to express it the problem is your wording. A lot of people are jumping on you for that statement which is highlighted in bold. You see even though it is a opinion you are surrounding that opinion with what you deem as a fact and the truth of the matter is you can't be sure if it is a small minority or a large majority. If perhaps you re worded your opinion without the the hint of a potentially untrue fact then perhaps people would not attack you so much.

And for the record I am for SGR's and I am glad they getting the dev attention they need but again I am just trying to point this out to you in a constructive way.

Everyone knows hardcore PvPers are a minority, but most people dabble in it. Additionally pvp IS a mechanic that draws players and makes MMOs. Side story romance arcs are not.

Everyone knows hardcore SGRers are a minority, but most people dabble in it. Additionally SGR IS a mechanic that draws players and makes RPGs. PVP is not.

That's not what's happening and that's never going to happen. They've said all along that any SGR companions would be NEW companions, likely obtained the same way HK51 was.

Actually they never said that. In fact there was a quote saying they knew all along which of the current companions would become SGR capable.

"There are romance arcs that we wanted to do that didn't make it in the game, we knew which characters (I'm not gonna tell you)..." - Daniel Erickson

Edited by Revanchis

being an ocd completionist... I just want to run all the content in the game and some of that is currently blocked due to the fact that some of the quest lines with companions are blocked...

and also isnt prescence and other bonus stats tied to doing all your companion quests?

oh and... if you really think that your toon is male or female, then wow, just wow... they are pixels... your toon is an it or not even an it...

That's not how development works. "Man-Hours" are a myth, and have been proven the exact opposite of your claim true. Adding more people to one part of a project makes things worse, not better.

Don't speak of software development if you don't work in software development. It's not like construction or manufacturing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mythical_Man-Month

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooks%27_law

This. People who know nothing about how actual software development works are always convinced that incredibly complicated things are easy, that moving developers around to vastly different projects would speed up the development of those projects, and that software developers who don't do these things are actively hostile to them, personally.

There's also a conflating of game developers with game designers when they're two entirely different jobs with radically different skill sets. This is why people talk about "the devs" like they're a monolithic group who all do everything involved with the game based on a prioritized list, when it's nothing like that at all.

There's so many misconceptions on how software development actually works that having a discussion like this one that's actually meaningful and productive is impossible until people educate themselves.

Edited by DoctorJest

Then let me try respond to you as positively as I can. Your opinion as you say is yours as such you are free to express it the problem is your wording. A lot of people are jumping on you for that statement which is highlighted in bold. You see even though it is a opinion you are surrounding that opinion with what you deem as a fact and the truth of the matter is you can't be sure if it is a small minority or a large majority. If perhaps you re worded your opinion without the the hint of a potentially untrue fact then perhaps people would not attack you so much.

And for the record I am for SGR's and I am glad they getting the dev attention they need but again I am just trying to point this out to you in a constructive way.

Here's the problem with your statement. Common sense tells us the SGR is going to be one of two things:

1) A few toss-off characters on Makeb just to say they have SGR, which will probably please no one, but cost almost no resources.

2) A complete re-write and voice actor redo of all existing companion romances to include SGR or add SGR, which is much more intricate and by nature would require not just a writer and voice actor but other scripting resources (albeit how many is up for debate).

The OP's opinion is that time spent on SGR's would be better spent elsewhere since a minority want them. Let's assume his opinion is, indeed , incorrect, and actually EVERYONE wants SGR.

It's still not worth the effort either way given the state of the game. The state of the romances in this game mean that once you've completed the SGR there is no further interaction. A situation like the first one is just going to piss people off, a situation like the second one wastes effort on this when we still have piles of bugs, graphical issues, downed servers, and other problems.

I've said in multiple places the SGR supporters are uniformly polite, well spoken, and logical, which I admire. And I would certainly like to see them get rewarded. But the OP has a point when we ask at what cost does this come?

i havent done all the romances... but from what I have seen... you could almost get away with no extra scripting and or voice acting and just use what is already in game...

while I am sure there will be a few dumb statements... I think that a lot of it might come off more entertaining than originallty intended...

plus it lets us experience more quests :)

@Logical You may want to do some more research as they've previously stated that when they allow SGRA's with Companions that it will unlikely be retroactive so it is unlikely that they will make Corso Riggs Bi-Sexual so that both Male & Female Smugglers could romance him. ie when SGRA's are allowed with Companions, chances are that it will only affect Future Companions. It is possible but also unlikely that when they expand SGRA's with NPC's beyond Makeb that it will change previous NPC's, so Jaxo [Female NPC that Male Troopers can have a relationship with] will likely still only be able to have a relationship with Male Troopers.

And for the most part, I wouldn't want it to be retroactive and I would want it to affect future content that gets added to the game. So if/when they add content to the current Worlds, then I wouldn't mind if it included some SGRA Compatible NPC's

Edited by Altyrell

Indeed. But let's play a mini-game here to make my point clear:

-You can make a massive announcement for all the internet (youtube, google....what you want).

-Swtor's fate depends of your announcement. If people don't join this game because your announcement SWTOR dies.

-You have to chose one of these features to announce:

- We have SGR.

-We have PVP space battles.

What would you choose?

The personnel that would develop SGR are not the same people that would develop PvP space battles, so the exercise is futile and the point irrelevant. Its not a binary choice. Makeb stories still had to be written, in fact they

are probably done at this point, and depending on VO lead time, that work might already be done as well.

There has not yet in your entire thread been one feature request listed that would likely be impacted at all by the inclusion of SGR in Makeb.

The personnel that would develop SGR are not the same people that would develop PvP space battles, so the exercise is futile and the point irrelevant. Its not a binary choice. Makeb stories still had to be written, in fact they

are probably done at this point, and depending on VO lead time, that work might already be done as well.

There has not yet in your entire thread been one feature request listed that would likely be impacted at all by the inclusion of SGR in Makeb.

Not to mention, when they expand to allow SGRA's with future Companions, it still wouldn't take away any resources as said Future Companion would still had been created and instead of being only available to be Romanced by Player Characters of the Opposite Gender or not at all, they will simply make it so that they could be Romanced by Player Characters of the Same Gender. And the only difference between the time it would take to create each type, from shortest to longest would be = Non-Romancable Companion --> Opposite Gender Romancable Companion --> Same Gender Romancable Companion and that would only, in my opinion, be because of making so the SGRA wasn't stereotypical [unless meant to be] or just seem awkward by having it seem like it was using Gender Neutral or whatever.

And on that note, there would be the chance that after they allow SGRA's [completely] that it could potentially lead to the inclusion of Bisexual Romancable NPC's & Companions

Everyone knows hardcore PvPers are a minority, but most people dabble in it. Additionally pvp IS a mechanic that draws players and makes MMOs. Side story romance arcs are not.

Nope. What interested me and my friends who play it are...DUN DUN DUN, STORY, CHARACTERS, ROMANCE. None of us could give a flying rats *** about PvP, Warzones, or even Flashpoints, though we do dabble in those every great once in a while.

So, your point is proven false. People like different aspects of the game. That INCLUDES romance arcs.

This entire thread is based on a false dichotomy - the assumption that the same resources/people used to fix game mechanic bugs, UI issues, creating new PvE or PvP content are somehow the same resources/people involved in adding SGR content. I assure you, they are not the same. Having a few flirt lines for an NPC in Makeb has no impact on new warzones, etc.

Nope. What interested me and my friends who play it are...DUN DUN DUN, STORY, CHARACTERS, ROMANCE. None of us could give a flying rats *** about PvP, Warzones, or even Flashpoints, though we do dabble in those every great once in a while.

So, your point is proven false. People like different aspects of the game. That INCLUDES romance arcs.

You are the 1% of the subbers. Subbers PAY for PVP and PVE content. Not subbers play just for what you said. BW should focus on what Subbers WANT.

You are the 1% of the subbers. Subbers PAY for PVP and PVE content. Not subbers play just for what you said. BW should focus on what Subbers WANT.

False. Subbers pay for whatever they like in a game. I am a subber. I sub for story, romance and quests. I do not care one bit about PvP, Warzones, Space Missions. For all I care, those could be gone from the game and I wouldn't even notice.

Edited by Lent_San

False. Subbers pay for whatever they like in a game. I am a subber. I sub for story, romance and quests. I do not care one bit about PvP, Warzones, Space Missions. For all I care, those could be gone from the game and I wouldn't even notice.

So why u paying for free content? Story mode is free. Only subbers can PVP and PVE.

U're still "the 1%". Most of subbers pay to play PVP and PVE. Free players play for story.

Edited by Royox

So why u paying for free content? Story mode is free. Only subbers can PVP and PVE.

U're still "the 1%". Most of subbers pay to play PVP and PVE. Free players play for story.

What makes this a good game is the story, the characters and the romance. A lot of people sub because of this. Even though you don't, you can't deny that this is what separates this MMO from others. The PVP in this game is not even that good. The stories are.

SGR are a good thing to be added. There are also gay people who play this game, they should be able to enjoy the romances as well. And remember this is a story driven MMO. If you don't like it, then you don't have to be a subscriber. :)

What makes this a good game is the story, the characters and the romance. A lot of people sub because of this. Even though you don't, you can't deny that this is what separates this MMO from others. The PVP in this game is not even that good. The stories are.

SGR are a good thing to be added. There are also gay people who play this game, they should be able to enjoy the romances as well. And remember this is a story driven MMO. If you don't like it, then you don't have to be a subscriber. :)

I know! My point now was "Why to pay for FREE content"? companion, story and class quest is the FREE stuff of this game. God I wouldn't pay a single penny for not to play PVP and PVE...it's like pay for air.

I know! My point now was "Why to pay for FREE content"? companion, story and class quest is the FREE stuff of this game. God I wouldn't pay a single penny for not to play PVP and PVE...it's like pay for air.

Personally, I pay to play the story. I know I can play it for free, but that takes way to long with all the restrictions. :p i guess there are other people out there who does this as well.

Personally, I pay to play the story. I know I can play it for free, but that takes way to long with all the restrictions. :p i guess there are other people out there who does this as well.

MFW Story mode has restrictions.

A restriction is when you can't join to a WZ or a FP....you say you love story mode? Better for you! No exp boost = moar time for questing and moar story!

I don't understand. Which servers do the F2Pers play on then ? :confused:

What? They play in all the servers but they can only do 5WZ per week. They cannot enter to Operations and cannot join more than 5FP a week.

They just can lvl up to lvl50....then nothing else.

As "lvlup to 50" is the "story part" of the game...it's pointless to pay for the only free thing this game has.

Edited by Royox

Should have been a bit further back tbh.

Well lets see: "focus on warzones, planets and minigames and a better iilum "

As has been stated Warzones would still be added and would require less Writing/Voice Over Departments then SGRA's so it would be easy for the Writing & VO Departments to do both

Planets, Well we are getting a new Explorable World and the SGR NPC's are part of said World. Also, through Flash Points, Operations, Warzones he had gotten new Worlds just not fully Explorable like the majority of the Worlds. But regardless, the SGR's are included with the new World as would OGR Flirts and other Content that requires the Writing & VO Departments.

Mini-Games = Considering it seems like a lot of people want PvP Swoop Racing as the majority of those requesting it on the Forums seem to be wanting it, it actually takes a while to transfer a Single Player Element (Such as Swoop Racing, Pazaak/Sabacc) from how they were in K1/K2 onto a much larger, much more Massive environment, more so with Pazaak & Sabacc. Oh by the way, Pazaak & Sabacc would probably require the same amount of resources from the Writing/VO Departments as Warzones would if at all. Swoop Racing might, but as stated before turning Swoop Racing like it was in K1/K2 into a compatible feature for an MMO will actually take a while.

Better Ilum = Last I checked, the PvP Side of Ilum [aka the broken side] doesn't require anything from the Writing/VO Departments.