Gree Event - Critiques and Praise

iamthehoyden

Ok, the good:

- An event!! Yay!! I'd rather have an event with serious flaws than nothing any day. It breaks up the monotony, makes the game feel more alive, and gives you something new to do.

- Reoccurring! Wise decision, saves on development costs which hopefully translates into events being a more regular thing.

- New gear! (And specifically armor without huge shoulder pads - I like this.)

- BOL hilts and other weapons!

- World bosses.

- Some purpose for Ilum beyond dailies (oh wait).

The bad:

- 1# How easy it is to be flagged for pvp on a pve server. I don't want to do open world pvp so I don't do the missions in the FFA area, however, I still managed to get flagged multiple times due to flagged people running through aoes and my comp healing a flagged group member while in pve content. Engaging in PVP should always be a choice, not something you're tricked into.

-#2 Drop rate on the Supplemental Research mission (aka the kill-a-gazillion-critters mission). Elites and strongs should always drop the chips and, instead, rarely do. The regular mobs seem to have a slightly better drop rate.

-#3 Dailies - More fricking dailies. No puzzles, very little exploration, no mechanics (like the plague in the rakghoul event), just dailies.

#4 No weapon by the time the event ends - I find it really odd that we will not be able to get to even one BOL weapon by the time the event ends. I understand that we can game the system by stockpiling rep trophies to use in the weeks after and the vendor will still be there, but to end the actual event with no weapon is kind of a letdown.

And in the category of "Huh?" is the storyline here. Why are we willingly providing bucket-loads of detailed data about our combat capabilities to a group of relatively unknown aliens who are neutral and have their own agenda?? Naivety run-amok here.

So thank you for the event. My hope is that given that it is reoccurring, some of these issues, such as the drop rate and the dailies-dailies-dailies mantra will be adjusted in the future..

My only real complaint is once again in this solo minded game they punish the solo player at the end

Normally I have more then enough time to group up and ect so I typically dont get hit with this aspect

but im currently waiting on surgery for my right shoulder and my play time because of it has diminished greatly

Pretty much only have 1-2 hours a day and because of that find I cant do the ops and WB stuff cause it takes to freaking long to form up groups.

Which means im mostly stuck to the solo dailies and wouldnt you know it

solo players dont have a single daily mission that rewards 1-2 grey helix

Now to be clear im not asking for any of the current dailies to give that reward as that would be far to simple and fast

but why couldnt they THINK AHEAD THIS TIME and put in a long solo mission like say the Gree Relay mission (one where you goto all the different planets and then back to ship) , all told that one takes between 1 hour and 2 hours to complete.

So doing that as a daily for 1-2 grey helix seems like a perfect fit and perfect way to ensure ALL play styles get rewarded.

Instead its just ops (and that one really poorly designed Heroic where everyone is fighting over terminal and droid spawn and its just a cluster bleep of ninja behavior) that get the goodies.

Honestly I cant wait for the 2 weeks to end.

You feel kinda obligated to try and do the stuff but it just ends up annoying and frustrating and Ive lost count how many idiots ive put on ignore for their childish behavior over general chat.

And yeah your right OP, the flagging is bad.

I dont get what changed that now 2 events in a row they are trying to put PVE content inside PVP areas.

The two simply do not mix and never will.

actually looking forward to going back to daily hms and black hole/section x weeklies

I dont get what changed that now 2 events in a row they are trying to put PVE content inside PVP areas.

The two simply do not mix and never will.

I respectfully disagree on this point. I really like it.

I want to play on a PvE server, because when I just want to run general story/level-up missions, I don't want to have to worry about being in PvP if I don't feel like it.

I do, however, want there to certain achievements that, while the gameplay is PvE, I have to "stay on the lookout". That adds a sense of danger, its fun, and makes the reward feel all that more special.

Edited by Jagrevi

And in the category of "Huh?" is the storyline here. Why are we willingly providing bucket-loads of detailed data about our combat capabilities to a group of relatively unknown aliens who are neutral and have their own agenda?? Naivety run-amok here.

I assume that both the Republic and empire sees the potential of gaining a better understanding of Gree technology. The Gree WERE a race capable of many technological marvels, surpassing even the ancient Rakata, when they launched the Grey Secant. Providing the fully automated ship that the Gree seemingly cannot operate with data on combat tactics in exchange for chance at some of that hyper-advanced technology (hypergates, treating living matter as data, teleporters, etc) seems like a good trade.

This is my only real problem with the event. I'm not really a fan of being flagged PvP cause someone runs across an aoe or you heal/buff someone and then realise what you have done. Though from what I have seen people aren't PvPing they are queing up nice and respectful they ignore each other if they encounter a rival faction member. Makes me wonder if there has been a significant gain for to the enjoyment of players for the PvP element of the quests.

But as I stood on a transporter to get beamed into Tron I wondered if the restructing has lead to the Star Wars fans among the dev team to go elsewhere. As its starting to feel far more like Star Trek The Motion Picture than Star Wars. With strange alien races, exploring strange new civilizations with even the Gree Vesels mission to Boldly Go where no Gree has gone before. And what do the Republic and Empire do when they discover such they both play along and seem awe struck with the gree.

When as in the films strange and wonderful aliens where part of the back drop and made the galaxy seem lived in and familiar we have shiny walls and wonderous technology. Where the millenium falcon was a peace of junk despite being able to make .5 past lightspeed. TOR seems to be heading under the current direction to strange new civilizations and very tron like graphics. When this event is up it would be nice if the devs stop using Rakata and Gree and anicient technologically advanced civilizations and go back to all the things that star wars did so well. One of which is getting back to the war.

But as I stood on a transporter to get beamed into Tron I wondered if the restructing has lead to the Star Wars fans among the dev team to go elsewhere. As its starting to feel far more like Star Trek The Motion Picture than Star Wars. With strange alien races, exploring strange new civilizations with even the Gree Vesels mission to Boldly Go where no Gree has gone before. And what do the Republic and Empire do when they discover such they both play along and seem awe struck with the gree.

When as in the films strange and wonderful aliens where part of the back drop and made the galaxy seem lived in and familiar we have shiny walls and wonderous technology. Where the millenium falcon was a peace of junk despite being able to make .5 past lightspeed. TOR seems to be heading under the current direction to strange new civilizations and very tron like graphics. When this event is up it would be nice if the devs stop using Rakata and Gree and anicient technologically advanced civilizations and go back to all the things that star wars did so well. One of which is getting back to the war.

Well, the TRON-like graphics were chosen to represent the Gree, as they have been created as something we are simply unable to comprehend long before we have even seen them in TfB intro. I will assume that we will not see this graphics style anywhere outside Gree-related locations and missions. Also, as side note, all graphic designs for things like races, planets, etc. has been discussed with LucasArts representatives (this was prior to launch, not sure if they continued with it after it).

As for the aliens being the backdrop, that is the problem when restricting to the movies, where all main heroes are humans (or droids), giving out the impression that Star Wars universe is human-dominated. I believe that this was never George Lucas's intention, although it may seem so after the transformation into Galactic Empire, but before that we see that Senate is full of other races. So why would it be wrong to bring some of these races to the forefront a bit more?

As for weird stuff, Star Wars canon already has Yuuzhan Vong, something also completely unrelated to what we have seen in movies, with their refusal to anything technological, using solely things that are grown (even ships).

I will agree that Star Wars is not about discovering new and wondrous aliens, unlike Star Trek, but we have this huge galaxy filled with different lifeforms, so again, why would it be bad to flesh them out a bit more? Yes, the focus should shift a bit more to what Star Wars does best, and that is depiction of massive conflicts, which I hope will return with Makeb and Hutt planning to make themselves a galactic superpower. However, Giving some room to exploring strange new world, meeting new civilizations, boldly going where no one has gone before does not have to be a bad thing (go ahead, kill me for paraphrasing one of the best opening lines in history of television)

Note: I am a huge Star wars and Star Trek fan, and I do own both a Lightsaber and a Bat'leth (well, not the Bat'leth yet, put I plan to)

Teleportation: This was in the game at release. The Rakata also had a form of this technology, and it's in use on Belsavis.

"Tron": as said above, Grey Secant's design is meant to show a very high level of technological advancement. There are really two ways to do that: Embrace the technological theme or use "magic."

"Strange alien races": Watch the cantina scene in Star Wars again, and tell me the galaxy doesn't have strange alien races in it.

"Strange new civilizations": the nature of hyperspace exploration means that new worlds are being discovered all the time. You can only go so far outward when you explore the galaxy. Sometimes, you have to look inward and find the stuff you've missed. Look how close Dromund Kaas is to Korriban on a galactic scale. And then think that, until the Empire found its way there, no one had seen it before. Watch AotC and realize that even the most complete records in the galaxy are susceptible to a simple deletion.

Grey Secant's mission: The Gree are a highly advanced species motivated by the attainment of knowledge. It makes sense that they'd create a ship that would go out and explore the galaxy/universe and collect data for them, especially if they thought their species might be in decline some day. The chances that something out there might help them survive means it's a noble endeavour. Besides, this element isn't so much Star Trek as Stargate: Universe. The Grey Secant is closer to Destiny than any Star Trek vessel.

Republic/Imperial relations with the Gree: The Republic already has a good relationship with the Gree, as they're helping to rebuild Coruscant. The Empire is not one to let the its enemy have sole use of such a resource.

I assume that both the Republic and empire sees the potential of gaining a better understanding of Gree technology. The Gree WERE a race capable of many technological marvels, surpassing even the ancient Rakata, when they launched the Grey Secant. Providing the fully automated ship that the Gree seemingly cannot operate with data on combat tactics in exchange for chance at some of that hyper-advanced technology (hypergates, treating living matter as data, teleporters, etc) seems like a good trade.

The Gree tell us they no longer know how their ancient tech works: we believe them.:)

The Gree tell us that they cannot control the Grey Secant: we believe them.:)

The Gree invade the Empire and Republic and tell us that resistance is futile and that they are now the rulers of the Galaxy: we believe them:eek:

Edited by AshlaBoga

I have nothing but praise for the event itself. It's fun, interesting, exciting, has a lot of phases and things to do.

My only complaint is with the player-base regarding the FFA PvP area who throw massive hissy-fits if they get killed. I'm actually disgusted by the fact that people are lining up, enemies hugging enemies, and then get mad if some group comes in to kill them and plant their orb first.

But not only do they get mad, they flood general chat with personal attacks on these players. Why should people who are using the PvP area as intended be made to feel like they're not only doing something wrong, but that they are baby killers in real life or something?

If we can wipe out people to get objectives done faster then what's wrong with that? If we see a loner flying through the area why wouldn't we wipe them out? It's like someone taking a knife to a gun fight and then complaining when they get shot.

I've had more fun playing this FFA PvP in 5 days than in the last 2 months of static, same-old-same-old warzones, and I am LOVING it.

PS - I know there are certain things, like guilds camping the pylon, that are annoying, but I just come back later or switch instances, I don't freak out and be a huge crybaby in general chat about it. There's other things to do. We don't even need to be in the PvP area at all to gain a lot of reputation.

Who is unknown? My character has saved a planet for them and been given one of their highest honours.

TfB establishes the relationship between the Gree and your faction.

The Gree tell us they no longer know how their ancient tech works: we believe them.:)

The Gree tell us that they cannot control the Grey Secant: we believe them.:)

Of course what may be the case is that the Gree have not declined but progressed. The reason they can't get their ancient tech to work is because they have no one who knows about stuff that old other than in a purely academic sense.

Edited by Arlbo_Nabbins

Of course what may be the case is that the Gree have not declined but progressed. The reason they can't get their ancient tech to work is because they have no one who knows about stuff that old other than in a purely academic sense.

The Gree matched the Kwa before being pushed back by the Rakata. If the Gree are more advanced than they were 32,000 years ago then I fear the Republic is DOOMED. DOOMED I tell you, DOOMED!

My only feedback to the event is two fold.

1) Dailies... I hate... dailies. So turned off by them I couldn't bring myself to finish the event. Not only are they dailies, but they're grindy dailies. Final nail in the coffin is that you can't get Grey Helix stuff solo.

2) Love the way the gear looks! The "Tron" look for the Gree stuff, as some would call it, does not bother me. What really sells me on it is the subtle awesomeness of the gear and weapons. Nice effects for the weapons and they're sleek looking. Gear is well colored (not blinding orange or puke green) and has a lot of simply great features (no huge shoulders, Shredder bracers, or Dumpster Samurai helmet). Really looking forward to more gear that is designed with these principles. Pitty I'll never be able to get it due to the aforementioned issues with dailies.

Edited by Gaff

My only feedback to the event is two fold.

1) Dailies... I hate... dailies. So turned off by them I couldn't bring myself to finish the event. Not only are they dailies, but they're grindy dailies. Final nail in the coffin is that you can't get Grey Helix stuff solo.

2) Love the way the gear looks! The "Tron" look for the Gree stuff, as some would call it, does not bother me. What really sells me on it is the subtle awesomeness of the gear and weapons. Nice effects for the weapons and they're sleek looking. Gear is well colored (not blinding orange or puke green) and has a lot of simply great features (no huge shoulders, Shredder bracers, or Dumpster Samurai helmet). Really looking forward to more gear that is designed with these principles.

You can get a couple Grey Helix items solo (1st mission + Gree Relays) and the Heroic is soloable if you're a minimaxed DG tank with a minimaxed Campaign or DG healer comp (which you know, means virtually no one can do it:rolleyes:).

Who is unknown? My character has saved a planet for them and been given one of their highest honours.

TfB establishes the relationship between the Gree and your faction.

There's a relationship, but we still know next to nothing about them, about what they want, what their goals are, all of that. It's okay though, I know I'm paranoid and suspicious :p

You can actually get a BOL weapon within the two weeks.

Grinding rep is just a matter of having multiple 50's and being willing to grind out the missions even after your capped because you can store the rep items.

If you can get into an ops group to do the world bosses and ops boss you can get quite a few of the helix items. I have done the dailies on atleast 1 toon almost everyday and have done the ops boss in sm and hm this week for a total of 19 helix.

I have a question for those of you who have some of the gear. I'm trying to decide if the even is worth it to me. Can the gear be used at any level like legacy gear, if you gut it or whatever, or do you have to be 45? Because if you have to be 45 why would I bother doing all this to get gear that is only good for 5 levels?

I have a question for those of you who have some of the gear. I'm trying to decide if the even is worth it to me. Can the gear be used at any level like legacy gear, if you gut it or whatever, or do you have to be 45? Because if you have to be 45 why would I bother doing all this to get gear that is only good for 5 levels?

The primary purpose is two fold:

1. It's the ONLY way to transfer hilts between characters.

2. If you missed the 2nd event then this is the only way you'll be able to transfer barrels between characters.

And yep, did the last one and I can do barrels if I really want to. But I never do jedi/sith for my endgame characters, I just do them for the story, so not a big loss.

So the last event was more for you and this event is more for me (my main is a sorc, my alts a jug and my pub's a sent).

I just don't like that the PvP area is Free For All, but then, I generally play on a PvE server. I can see how it'd be quite dull to a PvP server if the area was factionbased PvP. I'm completely fine with the BOL weapons being unabtainable during the first 2 weeks. These weapons are the most desirable rewards, so they should take longest to get: several visits. Yes, it's that simple and straightforward to me. 3-4 visits before one can even buy them is perfectly fine with me.

Ok, the good:

- An event!! Yay!! I'd rather have an event with serious flaws than nothing any day. It breaks up the monotony, makes the game feel more alive, and gives you something new to do.

- Reoccurring! Wise decision, saves on development costs which hopefully translates into events being a more regular thing.

- New gear! (And specifically armor without huge shoulder pads - I like this.)

- BOL hilts and other weapons!

- World bosses.

- Some purpose for Ilum beyond dailies (oh wait).

The bad:

- 1# How easy it is to be flagged for pvp on a pve server. I don't want to do open world pvp so I don't do the missions in the FFA area, however, I still managed to get flagged multiple times due to flagged people running through aoes and my comp healing a flagged group member while in pve content. Engaging in PVP should always be a choice, not something you're tricked into.

-#2 Drop rate on the Supplemental Research mission (aka the kill-a-gazillion-critters mission). Elites and strongs should always drop the chips and, instead, rarely do. The regular mobs seem to have a slightly better drop rate.

-#3 Dailies - More fricking dailies. No puzzles, very little exploration, no mechanics (like the plague in the rakghoul event), just dailies.

#4 No weapon by the time the event ends - I find it really odd that we will not be able to get to even one BOL weapon by the time the event ends. I understand that we can game the system by stockpiling rep trophies to use in the weeks after and the vendor will still be there, but to end the actual event with no weapon is kind of a letdown.

So thank you for the event. My hope is that given that it is reoccurring, some of these issues, such as the drop rate and the dailies-dailies-dailies mantra will be adjusted in the future..

I have a weapon.

So first the praise.

Love the layout on Illum. Very creative. And it works. PvE missions can be completed easily without ganking. PvP missions are saved for last in the center and for the most part self contained.

The missions themselves are quite easy and fun. Spawn timers are very fast so no real problems with camping and the Torvix mobs in particular are just close enough together to make it interesting and fun due to some splashing.

The WBs are great. Not a huge challange by any means, but they are what they should be for an event. Love the fact that there are two of them. The fact that they are in caves helps a bit. It's a quasi instance. But... it can still be exploited by griefers, but I'll get to that in a minute.

Xeno is excellent. Love that BW included and Ops component. Would have preferred a full Ops, but Xeno is fine as and event boss. HM is challenging enough for me and I'm left wanting more, which is a good thing.

The armor looks great and several of my alts will benefit greatly. The BoL lightsaber will be put to great use as I pass hilts around my different toons. Over all the rewards seem adequate.

Last but not least, love the legacy reputation system. I have several 50s so getting my rep points to Champ will not be a problem. Love that you can just stack trophies in inventory for later use. The weekly rep cap seems artificial, but it is understandable.

My critiques. There are only a couple.

1. The Gree Relay mission seems like an after thought. I don't mind scavenger hunts, but this isn't one. You just travel do different planets and talk to a droid. There is no variance in the story at each planet. No variance in how to accomplish the task. Just a boring conversation. Would have been nice to make each planets relay into a different skill check. One a puzzle, one a ranged mob encounter, one a melee, one a creative conversation mini game... etc. etc.

2. WB exploits are alive and well like in other games unfortunately. Had one incident of griefing by a bunch of idiots who taunted the WB to reset. There has to be a way to stop this from happening.

Over all, 8/10 stars. Thanks for the event BW. I'm glad you delivered as promised. You re-energized my guildies and we are having a great time.