Just Hit 50 And Still Have No Idea What I'm Doing!

RazerCannon

This is my first MMO ever (although I have been playing computer games for decades) and I just managed to hit 50 on my first character after 2 mos subbing to SW:ToR. I am playing as a Jedi Knight, and I find myself not quite at the end of the character arc - I just finished Voss' main storyline and am doing the bonus series now.

As a pure PvE player, I still feel like I am getting by through luck and improvisation. I was hoping to get some questions answered about crafting, gear and the story, or suggestions on places to look that aren't all written in MMO code that noobs like me can't decipher.

(1) I have gotten Tionese armor now at 50. Is this sufficient to get me to the end of the JK character story? (don't really care about OP or FP).

(2) Should I be equipping my companion in Tionese armor as well?

(3) I have collected several augment slot ingredients, but I understand that only armortech/armstech crafters can make actual augment slot kits. So, do I sell my ingredients on GTN and try to buy slot kits on GTN also?

(4) I have tons of low-level commendations from, e.g., Alderaan and Tattoine, that I never used because the dropped stuff was just as good IMHO. Is there a market for these? What do people do with them?

(5) If I want to do story-based flashpoints, will I never get more commendations? Do I have to do them in Hard Mode?

(6) Is there anything in Correllia except the Black Hole area (to get BH commendations)?

Thank you in advance as a noob player!

(1) I have gotten Tionese armor now at 50. Is this sufficient to get me to the end of the JK character story? (don't really care about OP or FP).

Oh heck yeah. On all my 50s, I finished my class story around level 48 wearing all orange gear with blue and green mods....we didnt' get free tionese stuff until very recently.

Your companions help you succeed in your solo missions, so I try to gear them up as much as possible. At least the one you prefer to use the most. Don't prioritize them over yourself, though.

(3) I have collected several augment slot ingredients, but I understand that only armortech/armstech crafters can make actual augment slot kits. So, do I sell my ingredients on GTN and try to buy slot kits on GTN also?

And Synthweavers. You can sell the mats and buy the kits and augments, or find people who will craft them for you with the mats. Whichever you find easier.

(4) I have tons of low-level commendations from, e.g., Alderaan and Tattoine, that I never used because the dropped stuff was just as good IMHO. Is there a market for these? What do people do with them?

Currently, no. You can buy up the boxes and see if you can get any rare pieces to sell, or just buy stuff and sell them back for credits. Maybe some day they'll put something in the game system to allow you to convert them.

Personally I always used those up from buying orange slotted gear and mods for me and my companions.

(5) If I want to do story-based flashpoints, will I never get more commendations? Do I have to do them in Hard Mode?

The hard modes are story based too - though you'll find people will often want you to spacebar through them because they're done them all so many times. If you want to earn black hole coms and get the better gear drops, you do need to queue up for hard modes. There are other ways to get gear though, you can do the weekly missions in the daily zones and the higher level space missions to get black hole coms.

(6) Is there anything in Correllia except the Black Hole area (to get BH commendations)?

After you finish your class quest and the main planet story line, that's it - dailies.

Edited by chuixupu

This is my first MMO ever (although I have been playing computer games for decades) and I just managed to hit 50 on my first character after 2 mos subbing to SW:ToR. I am playing as a Jedi Knight, and I find myself not quite at the end of the character arc - I just finished Voss' main storyline and am doing the bonus series now.

As a pure PvE player, I still feel like I am getting by through luck and improvisation. I was hoping to get some questions answered about crafting, gear and the story, or suggestions on places to look that aren't all written in MMO code that noobs like me can't decipher.

Cool. Here is my take on your progress. I have 6 50s and love running endgame so... that is my attempt at credibility.

1. Tionese is more than sufficient to finish your story. Corelia and the final boss shouldn't pose much of a problem to be honest.

2. Your companions don't need to be in Tionese but you should gear them up the best you can. You don't have to go crazy but keep the ones you use geared up. Again, not a huge problem since you are in Tionese. BTW, how is T7 geared? Err... you might want to special attention to him now... just saying.

3. Selling the mats may not be that profitable, but there is nothing else you can do with them unless you choose new crew and crafting skills. You don't need to be fully augmented for what is to come though.

4. What I've done with my low level comms is bought mods, armoring, and enhancements from the vendors. Since they are not bind on pickup they are an easy way to generate creds by selling them on GTN. And quite profitable I should say as f2p has infused a new demand for low level stuff.

5. If you solo the lowbie flashpoints now you won't much out of them but lowbie gear and creds. It will be all about the story for you. You can in fact get planetary commendations though. You don't have to do them in HM, but I do recommend you start. Quite simply, your next tier of gear requires it. If you are not interested in end game then you won't progress any further solo until Makeb.

6. Corelia, Belsavis, and Illum are your dailies areas. They will be a way to keep generating creds and gear from quests on a daily basis solo. The gear will not be better than what you already have with Tionese, but it will be useful for your companions and as a form of revenue. Not to mention the Black Hole comms which are a big bonus if you are going to gear up in Black Hole gear.

I think the question for you now is... end game (ie Hardmodes and Ops,) or no endgame. If you don't want to focus on endgame you are pretty much done until Makeb. You could do a few things that you might not have completed like datacron hunting etc. But really once you cap the story continues through endgame. You could of course roll another toon which is a lot of fun, but I recommend trying out the endgame stuff and, if you have not done so, find yourself a guild for peeps to run through HMs and OPs.

Edited by Rafaman

Just wanted to say congrats to the OP. :) SWTOR was my first MMO as well and you're asking all the same questions I had at one point.

The previous commenters had some good advice and covered what would've said otherwise. Especially that part about T7... ;)

GEAR UP T7. Don't look up why, as it'll ruin the story, but do it.

Emphatically this

I wish it had been something I would have known on my Knight.

On the note of your lower level comms, they are a good way to help you gear up alts as you level them up also

Edited by MoFugga

I'd like to ask you guys who are new to MMO's something: were you confused, taken aback, the first time you hit fleet?

Thank you.

Actualy when I hit fleet for the first time over a year ago, when I was a total noob, I was blown away. I was like OMG ---- HOLY @#$@#%$ this is Coooooool.

To the OP, put that Tionese gear in your cargo bay and forget about it until you finish Ilum for the first time. You already outlevel all the remaining story content, and the Tionese gear will just keep you noobish for longer.

Now that you've hit 50, you have all the abilities for you class, and it's time to learn to use the ones that you never use. It's also time to start playing with your skill trees, and figuring out how your stats actually work for your toon. Once you start doing dailies, it gets real easy to see how different abilities and specs reallly effect a fight, because you repeat the same fights.

Yup, this was my first MMO. The first big snag I hit was figuring out how to get together a group for my first run through the Esseles. That was an abrupt shock, because it was so different that anything I had played up to that point. I had some douche, who was already leveling an alt screaming "space please" through the whole thing. Pretty much wrecked it for me and the other people. Coruscant turned into a big grind because of the wide open spaces, and we didn't get sprint until level 15 at that time.

You don't have to worry about gearing T7. There's a puzzle on the ground that will help with that, just keep your eye out! ;)

I am the same as you and still learning. I hit 50 months ago with my Sentinel and only just realised what I'm supposed to be doing with my gear.

It was beyond me why they can't just have a "Jedi Sentinel Gear Vendor" in fleet and you have to simply go get stuff from that guy when you need gear... If you have a Jedi Sentinel! But I had a gear epiphany the other day with one of my guildies explaining it to me for about the 5th time and have pretty much wasted many Black Hole comms in the process.

Good luck!

Also, put your enemies cast bar on and learn to interrupt stuff (Which took me ages to learn aswell.... As part of the Jedi Knight story which I raged at)

I just got my guardian to 50 recently and I've been running some of those solo dailies. I dig the Black Hole solo area. You can knock out those quests quickly.

I was disappointed when I came up 1 tionese commendation short of a complete set. If you count a weapon. I got the gear & the shield generator , made my belt & armguards, but not the light saber. So the set feels incomplete for me until I get that saber or upgrade my current one to match or surpass it. What I have at the moment is good enough to run those dailies though.

Edited by DarthLeeloo

As a Jedi Sage I needed the Tionese gear to help on the last class quest. Gave Nadia the PVP kit. It made the difference between getting pwned repeatedly and winning. Looking ridiculous in the Tionese head gear is a plus.

I'm in a comparable position to the OP -- playing a Jedi Guardian who just hit level 50 on Christmas Eve! -- although I played through two of the beta weekends and had the benefit of a buddy who was a "real" beta tester to talk me through the basics.

I too am a PVE player and SWtOR is my first real MMO (I did Pirates of the Caribbean Online briefly). Once I complete my story quest, I'll probably fiddle around with Corellia and Belsavis, maybe do a few high level regular flashpoints, maybe try to get HK-51, and then I think that's about it for my old Jedi. After that, I'll probably play through a different class, and K'reed will get play only to send credits and companion gifts to his legacy-mates.

In terms of equipment, I put the Recruit gear on Scourge, which is an unfortunate waste, since I rarely use him. I ripped the mods out of some of the Tionese pieces, and put them into "better" equipment. I have one of those Ziosk lightsabers, so I'm not giving that up, and after I hit level 50, I spent a night trolling the GTN and the Cartel market to find the right look for my guy.

So now I'm tooling around Corellia in modified Tionese equipment for me and whatever geat I find for Doc, and I think the only time I've died was when I walked away from the computer for a few minutes too close to a spawn point. My sense is that Tionese equipment, possibly with a few upgrades/augments, should be more than enough.

I'd like to ask you guys who are new to MMO's something: were you confused, taken aback, the first time you hit fleet?

Thank you.

Yes, I was confused, but not by fleet itself. That was the first time a flashpoint was available, and I had no idea how to find someone to do it with. I sat by the entrance to the FP and waited for people to run past and I tried to /whisper to them to ask them to group with me. I had no idea about general chat, nor the "LFG" terminology, nor the Group Finder.

Yes, I was totally noob.

Yes, I was confused, but not by fleet itself. That was the first time a flashpoint was available, and I had no idea how to find someone to do it with. I sat by the entrance to the FP and waited for people to run past and I tried to /whisper to them to ask them to group with me. I had no idea about general chat, nor the "LFG" terminology, nor the Group Finder.

Yes, I was totally noob.

I was even more noob. The intro NPC said "only go with friends," and I figured I had Kira with me so I would be okay. :) I got slaughtered quickly on the Esselles.