Immerision enhancer: Toggle saber core

Tim-ONeil

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The responses here are about what I would expect. I should have clarified what I meant more but I'm sure people would still be like, 'too bad bro!' :rolleyes:

Examine this image from Dulfy. http://dulfy.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/colorcrystalspanel3.jpg

The lightsabers on the left are star wars based, all lightsabers in the movies and star wars lore have a central white core with a colored outer glow. This is the case in each of the 6 movies.

The lightsabers on the right are NOT star wars, they are exactly what I would do if I wanted to have an item similar to a lightsaber in a non Star Wars licensed game if I was a game designer.

Notice how each of the black or colored cores has an opposite "cannon" version. The toggle I'm requesting will change the lightsaber on the right to the lightsaber on the left for people that desire it.

What it means to you if you like the ugly sabers. Absolutely nothing. You still see your awesome pink/purple popsicle and the people that don't want to look at it don't have to. It's a win win and will allow us to at least pretend that keeping a game 'Starwarsy' (one of the biggest complaints about SWG was it wasn't starwarsy enough ironically) is important to a portion of the fan base.

Hey, guys. He's asking for a toggle so that his immersion doesn't have to be ruined by your fun.

Immersion?

You mean his lack of knowledge of Star Wars lore? There are pink lightsabers in Star Wars. There are purple lightsabers. There are a number of violet lightsabers. How is this so far from those?

I don't remember seeing any lightsabers in the movies that comprised two distinct colours.

Newsflash: The movies are only a small part of the Star Wars universe.

The game is part of the Star Wars EU, and conforms with the EU, not the tiny subset of the Movies, which occurred 3000 years after the game.

Immersion?

You mean his lack of knowledge of Star Wars lore? There are pink lightsabers in Star Wars. There are purple lightsabers. There are a number of violet lightsabers. How is this so far from those?

All lightsabers have a white core. Now you know what we are discussing and you can choose to respond on the same page as the rest of us.

What it means to you if you like the ugly sabers. Absolutely nothing. You still see your awesome pink/purple popsicle and the people that don't want to look at it don't have to. It's a win win and will allow us to at least pretend that keeping a game 'Starwarsy' (one of the biggest complaints about SWG was it wasn't starwarsy enough ironically) is important to a portion of the fan base.

The problem is that these different cyrstals give people their own identity. By choosing not to view it on their character you are taking away from the character they created and want you to see. Just because I hate the tie someone else is wearing doesn't me they don't have the right to show their style to the world.

So uhm... You do realize that aside from blue, green, red, and purple, which were all present in the films, every single one of those colors was at some point invented by some writer in some book or some TV series, right? There's absolutely no reason Bioware can't also invent some of its own colors, and, if LucasArts approves, have them included in canon.

Yes, I agree.

My post was sarcastic.

The Star Wars universe has a huge variety of blade colors, including multi-color blades. The failure is on the part of people who refuse to think that Star Wars is anything but the movies.

Yes, I agree.

My post was sarcastic.

The Star Wars universe has a huge variety of blade colors, including multi-color blades. The failure is on the part of people who refuse to think that Star Wars is anything but the movies.

Fair enough. Initial post whooshed right over my head :p

Edited by murshawursha

Immersion?

Hello, note that the lightsabers you are mentioning here have WHITE CORES. Duh. It's the cores that are the problem, not the color.

:cool:

Honestly, I don't see why not to the OP's suggestion. I don't really care about whether a core is lore-supported, but it would seem like a simple toggle to appease a fairly decent player population. Think of it like the profanity filter in chats. It's there if seeing curse words bothers you, otherwise you can turn it off. Why not?

The problem is that these different cyrstals give people their own identity. By choosing not to view it on their character you are taking away from the character they created and want you to see. Just because I hate the tie someone else is wearing doesn't me they don't have the right to show their style to the world.

So, if they started allowing males to wear the Slave Bikini you wouldn't find that immersion breaking at all? And you would be just fine running around a Star Wars universe full of cross dressers? Yeah, right.

:rolleyes:

I understand what you are saying but I don't agree that it applies here.

This isn't a game based on a random internal company IP that can be changed and updated on a whim. This is star wars, a multi billion dollar IP with strict existing lore and expectations for long time fans.

Creating a world that adheres to that is important enough to myself and many others. If you choose to have a pink cored saber I shouldn't be forced to look at it. You chose it for your own enjoyment, changing it to a traditional lightsaber on my screen is my own choice for enjoyment.

In other games we would just mod the files. Hopefully someone comes up with a mod for this if it won't be dev supported.

The only issue I have with pink/purple is that they're just two ugly colors to be paired together. While they work individually, together they're just...yeech.

Don't see an issue with a client-side toggle. It doesn't affect anyone other than the individual doing the toggling, the question then remains on how they would actually program something.

Oh, and two more things: 1. I don't like it when people use a collective 'we' when referring to wants and opinions and 2. Any discussion about what is 'canon' is inherently flawed since we are on a forum for a game that takes place outside the scope of the movies, thereby making any attempt to say something like color isn't canon just because it wasn't like that in the movies irrelevant.

Uhm, just to point out, the OP isn't against the entire color of the saber. Just the core color. He wants a change to set all the core colors to white. The rest of the saber can still be pink, purple, whatever.

And I happen to agree with him. I'd love a change like that, the black/other colored cores just don't feel right to me.

thank yourself lucky GL believes that green blue red and purple are the only acceptable forms of saber colors.

Remember: The Clone Wars is a canon level that is everything but equivalent to the movies. There are a lot of different colors and styles that GL put into the universe. Not to mention the variety of colors we see during the battles in Attack of the Clones.

I don't honestly see the appeal of the black core lightsabers, it makes the blades look too solid, more like a black steel blade with an energy aura around it if you ask me. I haven't yet seen this pink/purple core saber though, but admittedly I haven't had many chances to play since F2P launched.

In any event I agree a toggle that sets everything to a white or black core would be ok since that might make people happier lore wise.

So, if they started allowing males to wear the Slave Bikini you wouldn't find that immersion breaking at all? And you would be just fine running around a Star Wars universe full of cross dressers? Yeah, right.

:rolleyes:

Honestly I would think they were a little off but they are no different than people that are now using the energy armor to run around naked. I don't have an issue with that. ;)

Remember: The Clone Wars is a canon level that is everything but equivalent to the movies. There are a lot of different colors and styles that GL put into the universe. Not to mention the variety of colors we see during the battles in Attack of the Clones.

I have yet to see anything you've posted that would lead me to believe that my idea isn't valid. What you are doing is called a red herring because you are trying to invalidate the idea without actually being able to do so, thereby focusing on a part of it that doesn't actually address the issue. If you want to quote obscure comic books be my guest.

Anyone that grew up on the original trilogy knows what a lightsaber is and what it looks like. It is one of the iconic pieces of star wars lore. People know what it is even if they aren't a star wars fan.

I must be getting old since I can still remember the USA network Star Wars Christmas day marathon and swinging around wrapping paper tubes as a kid while making the humming sound...

Edited by Tim-ONeil