Widespread use of Shii-Cho for Rage/Focus specs is not so lore-friendly?

Alec_Fortescue

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Form_I:_Shii-Cho

Have a read if you're interested. This is the most basic form developed for use early on, during sword-lightsaber transition period and should not be utilized in lightsaber combat anymore as more sufficient forms were developed. It was an introductory form for all lightsaber adepts but after they learned the basics they moved on.

While the form was indeed practice and mastered by many it was very unlikely to be used it in combat once further forms were mastered.

It is very good that Shii-cho is the first form we learn but after we start developing our characters we should be moving toward something else and, to keep it lore-friendly, Shii-cho would have to become a useless ability.

I do regret there is no Makashi-utilizing class in this game. Would love to get a duelist like class/advanced class based on Count Dooku.

Edited by Alec_Fortescue

Shii-Cho was mastered and used very effectively by Kit Fisto. Master Fisto was on the high council and considered one of the best duelists in the Order during his time.

To quote Wookieepedia:

In combat, Form I lightsaber combat was wild and raw, relying on deliberate tactics and being primarily aimed towards disarming rather than injuring foes, in keeping with Jedi philosophy. Basic initiates in the style demonstrated rather clumsy performance, though in the hands of a master, Shii-Cho was fluid but highly randomized and unpredictable.

This seems to fit rather well with the skill trees labled Rage and Focus.

Also, I'm not sure Shii-Cho is -technically- wide spread in SWTOR. Just because a lot of the PCs use it doesn't mean that it's a common form. And, even if it is, maybe Jedi just haven't fully learned their lesson yet.

He was also fighting the most powerful Sith Lord ever, who had caught them completely off-guard. He didn't have much of a chance.

Umm since when was Sidious the most powerful sith lord ever?????? He wasn't able to kill his master in the proper succession rituals of the sith. He killed Plaguis when he was drunk and half asleep. :jawa_confused:

Umm since when was Sidious the most powerful sith lord ever?????? He wasn't able to kill his master in the proper succession rituals of the sith. He killed Plaguis when he was drunk and half asleep. :jawa_confused:

Yes he was, his master had already admitted that Sidious was more powerful than he was, Sidious saw it as both an opportunity to kill him with no chance of damaging himself and because it basically sickened him that this mighty Sith was off his face on alcohol. Sidious was easily the most powerful Sith just going off of his feats, abilities and prowess, he was also canonically named the most powerful Sith to ever exist as stated by Sidious, Chee and every writer who ever wrote an official Star Wars work, who had ever been asked the question of who was most powerful.

Yes he was, his master had already admitted that Sidious was more powerful than he was, Sidious saw it as both an opportunity to kill him with no chance of damaging himself and because it basically sickened him that this mighty Sith was off his face on alcohol. Sidious was easily the most powerful Sith just going off of his feats, abilities and prowess, he was also canonically named the most powerful Sith to ever exist as stated by Sidious, Chee and every writer who ever wrote an official Star Wars work, who had ever been asked the question of who was most powerful.

Not entirely correct. While Darth Sidious is unquestionably powerful, and absolutely one of the most powerful to have ever existed, you could also easily make the argument that Marka Ragnos, Darth Bane, or even Revan were as powerful or perhaps even more powerful. The problem with this kind of dialogue is that the majority of Sith that qualify for being "most powerful" never exist in the same time frame. In other words, you can make the case that no single one of these Sith are the most powerful, and instead are simply the most powerful at the time of their existence.

"Form I is the foundation upon which the remaining forms build. It is not the best style for blaster deflection or for lightsaber-to-lightsaber dueling, but it is superior all-around form you can fallback on in the heat of combat. Thus you must demonstrate a mastery of this form before you can continue."

- The Jedi Path

More like there should be combined forms in the game.

Edited by FINNT
Color

It was so effective he went down within few seconds the moment he fought his first Sith...

Hands down one of the lamest, most infuriating moments in that movie.

OT: all Jedi/Sith learn Shii-Cho before anything else. Just because they learn new forms afterwards, it doesn't necessarily mean they completely abandon that style.

Not entirely correct. While Darth Sidious is unquestionably powerful, and absolutely one of the most powerful to have ever existed, you could also easily make the argument that Marka Ragnos, Darth Bane, or even Revan were as powerful or perhaps even more powerful. The problem with this kind of dialogue is that the majority of Sith that qualify for being "most powerful" never exist in the same time frame. In other words, you can make the case that no single one of these Sith are the most powerful, and instead are simply the most powerful at the time of their existence.

Now I may be wrong, and I am sure Miss Felana will correct me, but when Revan came up with the Rule of Two, forst utilized by Bane, he stated that with each generation the Sith become more powerful than the previous. Bane learned everything he could and taught his apprentice, Zannah. She was more powerful than he. Her apprentice became more powerful than her. This continued through the centuries until both Vader and Sidious died.

Because of Revan's Rule of Two, Sidious would have become more powerful than any Sith Lord before him, including Ragnos, Revan and Bane. They were powerful for their time, but Sidious IS the most powerful Sith ever to roam the galaxy. Think about how strong Bane was. He was beaten by a more powerful and cunning Sith, who in turn was killed by someone even more powerful and cunning. Ragnos, Revan and Bane would not be able to match Sidious' power.

Now I may be wrong, and I am sure Miss Felana will correct me, but when Revan came up with the Rule of Two, forst utilized by Bane, he stated that with each generation the Sith become more powerful than the previous. Bane learned everything he could and taught his apprentice, Zannah. She was more powerful than he. Her apprentice became more powerful than her. This continued through the centuries until both Vader and Sidious died.

Because of Revan's Rule of Two, Sidious would have become more powerful than any Sith Lord before him, including Ragnos, Revan and Bane. They were powerful for their time, but Sidious IS the most powerful Sith ever to roam the galaxy. Think about how strong Bane was. He was beaten by a more powerful and cunning Sith, who in turn was killed by someone even more powerful and cunning. Ragnos, Revan and Bane would not be able to match Sidious' power.

I don't entirely disagree with you. I was just pointing out that you can make the case that Sidious wasn't the most powerful ever.

Shii-CHo is also the style that is regarded as the most effective vs groups of enemies. Just saying.

Bioware really did their research when it comes to the styles and their trees.

Shii-Cho = Random and erratic and good against crowds (Sweep.Smash). It shows a mastery of the fundamentals (does not rely on talented attacks). Doesn't have much of a defence against blasters (It's main weakness is kiters).

Ataru = Flashy and acrobatic (Looks awesome and has the e-peen hits), and can utterly overwhelm someone not prepared for it (one of the best burst specs in the game) but if an Ataru user is put off their stride (it's very easy to CC a Combat/Carnage user and mess up their entire offence) or if they are unable to overwhelm their opponents with pure offence they get picked apart easily (VERY squishy without backup).

Juyo = Wild and erratic. Easily the most unpredictable style (You are unsure when a Watchman/Anni Sent/Mara's burst is going to come because it is tied to Zen). Juyo users rarely let up on the attack (DoTs reflect this well).

Shien = Favour physical strength (hit for hit it does have the highest base damage for physical moves and has a strength bonus), it is a highly offensive style but it does stand up well to blaster fire (It's a Guardian/Jugger spec so on paper at least it is one of the thoughest DPS classes). But if it can't overwhelm the enemy with powerful attacks then it does struggle (it's burst is lacking)

Soresu = It has an entire tanking tree dedicated to it and it has the highest defence stat rating in the game (Soresu was designed to utterly counter blaster fire so it makes sense that they deflect ranged attacks often)

Also Shii-Cho, Ataru and Juyo are known in lore to have duel wielding regimens which makes perfect sense considering a lot of Jar'Kai techniques are derived from Shii-Cho and Ataru.

Edited by IronFirewind

You are correct. Sidious is the most powerful Sith Lord to walk the galaxy. Nothing any Sith Lord has done can compare to his mastery of the Dark Side. He was a possession of the Dark Side, and it was his. He heard the ancient Sith proclaim his mastery over the Dark Side.

It was so effective he went down within few seconds the moment he fought his first Sith...

Power debate aside, as one of the other posters pointed out, Shii-cho is useful against many opponents and weak against only one.

Kit Fisto was good against multiple attackers. If you want proof watch the battle between him and General Grievous (TCW). He was skilled at battling multple opponents (or in this case, multiple arms).

So, when facing Sidious, not only was Kit Fisto surprised, he was out of his element. Instead of being outnumbered against several enemies, he actually had higher numbers against one. Shii-cho is very different in 1 v 4 than 4 v 1.

In this reversed role, Fisto was unable to handle a very powerful Sith with the element of surprise while trying to do something his form was just not meant to do: attack a single enemy while working with team mates of his own.