The future of Companions

Callaron

Nope, I'm not talking about Firefly here - even though it would've been nice to see what the future held for Inara... I'm talking about the loyal sidekicks to our characters here on SWTOR.

During the recent interview Bruce Maclean stated:

Will we see the inclusion of future companions, related to class stories or otherwise?

Yes! Adding new companions to class stories is harder than it sounds though, so new companions will more likely have their own storylines like HK-51.

Which as someone that has HK-51, I find to be very troublesome news...

If they get implemented like HK it means they'll basically be glorified pets, who will never talk during cutscenes, who will never care what you say or do during the stories - and who are on top of that, designed to be huge credit sinks and nothing more, since the only way to get affection with them will be by force feeding them gifts they somewhat like...

And of course there might also be some steep costs attached to getting them... like the item you have to buy for HK, which costs... 250k?

Am I the only one worried about this?

Speaking of companions, any idea on what's in store for them with Makeb?

Do they talk occasionally like they did during the class quests, or are they just there as scenery? =/

It's been confirmed that companions (including HK-51) have affection gains and losses from cutscenes and speak when entering locations in the game world of Makeb. As far as I know no one has (yet) reported companions having their own lines during Makeb cutscenes, which is to be expected, I suppose, since companions only ever had their own lines in class-specific stories.

Edited by Jenzali

Just to note, you can get approval with HK-51 in some conversations. I noticed Kaon under siege had approval changes based on what I said and did. But yes, I agree. I'd be pretty disappointed if companions only every spoke in their own conversations aboard ship or in a cantina, and the rest of the time were essentially walking turrets. Hell, Dorne is supposed to my Trooper's second in command, but she hasn't said a peep outside of telling me to hold still since Corellia.

I think what's going to bug me with more general companions as well is actually making them make sense for everybody. HK-51 mostly did - though I had a hard time justifying why my Jedi characters or my Smuggler would want an assassin droid around, let alone send him on missions - but beyond that? Unless they just keep on adding droids, how is their simultaneous presence aboard multiple ships of both factions going to work?

Do they talk occasionally like they did during the class quests, or are they just there as scenery? =/

I watched the quest cutscenes Dulfy put up on her site for the Empire version of the quest chain. I don't remember Ashara speaking at any point during any of them.

As far as I know no one has (yet) reported companions having their own lines during Makeb cutscenes, which is to be expected, I suppose, since companions only ever had their own lines in class-specific stories.

Perhaps, but if they're not doing those anymore, I'd certainly like that to change.

Edited by Bleeters

When they describe future companions that way, the first example that comes to mind that resembles what they are saying is Thana Vesh. She was a character that is included in the Imperial storyline on Taris regardless of class. Each and every class has to deal with her if they do the planetary story/quests. They could easily take someone like that and make them into an extra companion. These companions could even be completely optional, just like HK. You could have the character set up so that certain actions and conversation choices could cause them to join you, others could cause them to hate you, and refuse to join you. There could even be conversation choices that could make yo have to fight and kill them, or maybe fight them in order to subdue them and force them to join you.

I actually kind of like the idea, but only if it is implemented in a way that makes sense. The way you get HK, all the hoops you have to jump through, all the different planets you have to go to, the expense involved, I never liked it at all. HK is a perfect example of how NOT to introduce and implement new companions. Thana Vesh is a good example of how it could work extremely well and make good sense. There are other examples of NPCs in game that could easily become companions as well. Most planets have one or two major NPC contacts included as part of the planetary storylines that could easily be modified to become optional companions. That being said, it would also be quite possible to add brand new characters, not currently in existence in the planet questlines, that could become the new optional companions.

These are just a couple ideas I had on the subject. Thought I'd share.

Have a nice day.

Just to note, you can get approval with HK-51 in some conversations. I noticed Kaon under siege had approval changes based on what I said and did. But yes, I agree. I'd be pretty disappointed if companions only every spoke in their own conversations aboard ship or in a cantina, and the rest of the time were essentially walking turrets. Hell, Dorne is supposed to my Trooper's second in command, but she hasn't said a peep outside of telling me to hold still since Corellia.

I think what's going to bug me with more general companions as well is actually making them make sense for everybody. HK-51 mostly did - though I had a hard time justifying why my Jedi characters or my Smuggler would want an assassin droid around, let alone send him on missions - but beyond that? Unless they just keep on adding droids, how is their simultaneous presence aboard multiple ships of both factions going to work?

*snip*

I am worried that there won't even be more conversations in a cantina or on the ship. Wish they would say what they intend to do with the companions in the future. I would like to know what happens to them. What will happen to Risha and her possible political future. How about the rest of them, I really like my little T7-droid. Will my character's mute marriages continue forever?

Moping a little at the moment, which feels very odd because I have never ever done that before during my time in SWTOR. I want to know that my crew will be more than walking sets of abilities and gear.

Edited by SilentKitty

I know how you feel, Kitty...

They said at some point that they had a lot more things in store for companions... but I'm getting the feeling it was just PR, and that their intentions are to just add more lifeless husks and call it a day... =/

Here's to hoping my worries there turn out to be unfounded and they actually come up with something amazing in the near future.

I want to know that my crew will be more than walking sets of abilities and gear.

Unlikely. The problem is that there are so many of them. You may get some reactions in terms of +/- affection since that costs Bioware basically nothing and at most they might mail you letters, but I doubt there will be anything that involves voice acting. This is the drawback of fully voiced games: you need to hire an actor back to add dialog for any character. It's also why the new companions will probably be either available to all (like HK-47) or at most faction specific (i.e. not one per class).

They said the companions will have "chirps," that is to say when you enter an area and they will make a comment about it. I.E. what the starter republic companions say as you run to the senate building on coruscant or how the imperial companions comment about the dark temple as you run up to it. Things of that nature which means for players that are mounted or using their rocket boost 99% of the time like myself I won't even hear the "chirps" most of the time.

When they describe future companions that way, the first example that comes to mind that resembles what they are saying is Thana Vesh.

Too bad my light sided sith warrior killed her.

Well, Vette made me do it, actually. :D:

They said the companions will have "chirps," that is to say when you enter an area and they will make a comment about it. I.E. what the starter republic companions say as you run to the senate building on coruscant or how the imperial companions comment about the dark temple as you run up to it. Things of that nature which means for players that are mounted or using their rocket boost 99% of the time like myself I won't even hear the "chirps" most of the time.

Yeah, that's something that's always been one of those "minor" irritations to me, having to make the choice to crossing the planet barefoot so I can hear my companion's commentary about it, or using my speeder and actually traveling at a decent speed.

I wish the companions would still talk while you're mounted on the speeder as long as they aren't actually "dismissed", the game is clearly capable of making the distinction already since a dismissed companion doesn't pop up when you dismount, while one that was actually traveling with you will.

I fully expect EA to take the cheap and easy route every time.

Sadly, you'll probably be right, as someone said before - there's way too many companions to pay for all that voice acting... which makes me wish that they had just stuck with three per class or something, lets face it - most of the end game companions are a waste of space anyway, they could've easily been replaced with generic droids for crafting purposes and what not.

They barely have any dialogues as it is and usually weak and uninteresting stories, so far the ones that immediately come to mind are;

Broonmark (SW)

Skadge (BH)

Xalek (SI)

I kinda like S.C.O.R.P.I.O. - but the above ones pretty much provide nothing but the role of brute thugs with not much interesting to say - I personally don't have Rusk and Yuun, but they don't seem to be very popular either.

Edited by Callaron

Id be more interested with additions to our current companions. I hate that I can romance a character and actually grow to like them but then once its over you never talk to them again....ever. It'd be nice if there were some conversations that would pop up every now and then that could reference the class story or romance arc. Even if you would always get the same 1 or 2 at least it would help you feel like you have done something with the characters. As is I don't feel any story attachment to my character or companions anymore, which considering the story is the main draw of this game, that is a very big issue.

Id be more interested with additions to our current companions. I hate that I can romance a character and actually grow to like them but then once its over you never talk to them again....ever. It'd be nice if there were some conversations that would pop up every now and then that could reference the class story or romance arc. Even if you would always get the same 1 or 2 at least it would help you feel like you have done something with the characters. As is I don't feel any story attachment to my character or companions anymore, which considering the story is the main draw of this game, that is a very big issue.

Yeah, it was one of those things that Dragon Age did far better than TOR does, and something that I hope they will include in the "things they have in store" for companions.

I tend to refer to Rusk as Sergeant Blockhead.

The shape of his head has no significance on this nickname.

That poor guy! :p

Edited by Callaron

They barely have any dialogues as it is and usually weak and uninteresting stories, so far the ones that immediately come to mind are;

Broonmark (SW)

Skadge (BH)

Xalek (SI)

I completely agree. Some of these companions somehow land on your ship for terrible reasons, too... Rusk is like "General, my mission's done. Orders?" General: "I dunno.. go with the Jedi or something!" "Very good, sir!" And we're just like.. "uhh sure?"

I really do want to see the future of companions become bright. Hopefully the popular/romanced companions get some repeatable content soon (thinking Dragon Age-esque convos). Kira hasn't spoken to me for a year. "Did I do something wrong, baby!? What's wrong!" ..... silence. "Kira! Tell me what's wrong!?" .... silence. :mad::mad::mad:

Edited by DarthGile