SWTOR Unleashed (game files in RAM to improve performance)

exca

Its ironic a person from the community had to come along and fix biowares game to make it playable

This effort is not ironic. Bioware made a game that runs on most PC's. A person made a tweak app to get performance boosts if you have x RAM. He does not have to deal with bug reports.

Ah the nasty morons out there that always want to critique what is far beyond anything they could ever, EVER! (yes, E V A R) produce.

Night Mr. Nastypants.

Edited by Thunderok

• Replies 887
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does this look like a scam?

It's not a scam. It works like a charm. Before SWTOR Unleashed if I did 16 man I had to have my graphics set to medium or it would stutter and stutter and stutter, but thanks to this I can do 16 man Ops on Very High with no stuttering:D

Does this increase the loading times for planet?

Yes, I am curious about this too. Also, I have 8.0 GB of RAM and Intel Core 2.80 GHz processor. I am not very tech savvy. Would SWTOR Unleashed work for me or will there be an issue in my specs. I also have Windows 7.

You misunderstand, I am currently using the version you provided, not the version on the author's site.

Did you reboot your computer or hibernated it?

Have you installed Imdisk "as administrator"?

Else I have no other clue that maybe an incompatibility between win8 x64 and my version of Imdisk. I mioght try to update Imdisk to 1.6 if the 2 above leads don't help.

Did you reboot your computer or hibernated it?

Have you installed Imdisk "as administrator"?

Else I have no other clue that maybe an incompatibility between win8 x64 and my version of Imdisk. I mioght try to update Imdisk to 1.6 if the 2 above leads don't help.

1: reboot.

2: yes.

I downloaded and installed it, but now all in-game text looks blurry and makes my eyes bleed. Anyone knows how to fix it?

Things I did to try to fix it:

Checked refresh rate

Checked graphics settings

Ran it in windowed

Uninstalled the mod (still blurry)

Used repair option on the launcher screen

Googled the problem and used a suggestion by Bioware employee to delete profile settings file in swtor folder in APPDATA.

Nothing helped so far. Wanted to see if anyone can help before I reinstall a 32 GB game.

Edited by Apollone

I downloaded and installed it, but now all in-game text looks blurry and makes my eyes bleed. Anyone knows how to fix it?

Things I did to try to fix it:

Checked refresh rate

Checked graphics settings

Ran it in windowed

Uninstalled the mod (still blurry)

Used repair option on the launcher screen

Googled the problem and used a suggestion by Bioware employee to delete profile settings file in swtor folder in APPDATA.

Nothing helped so far. Wanted to see if anyone can help before I reinstall a 32 GB game.

Huh...have you changed anything else besides installing Unleashed? Have you tried updating your graphics drivers?

Huh...have you changed anything else besides installing Unleashed? Have you tried updating your graphics drivers?

I didnt change anything except installing the mod, I got the blurry text right after I installed it so I doubt drivers are an issue. I used to be able to get rid of it by launching retail version but now even retail version has blurry text

Edited by Apollone

I didnt change anything except installing the mod, I got the blurry text right after I installed it so I doubt drivers are an issue. I used to be able to get rid of it by launching retail version but now even retail version has blurry text

I highly doubt it has anything to do with unleashed. Start unleashed, do "remove and quit", uninstall imdisk, reboot. Now you have a clean game. If symptom persists I guess it's either an hardware issue (GFX card) or a driver issue or a BIOS issue or a setting in your driver (antialias?) or in game (unless you have the exact same resolution as your LCD display, you'll get blurry text).

I advise : full screen mode (or full screen windowed, not "windowed" alone) at the exact max resolution of your screen I'm 99% sure it's the issue. Nothing to do with unleashed.

Edited by exca

I just wanted to note that if you are using SWTOR Unleased you MUST patch by running SWTOR Unleashed in Retail client mode. Simply running the normal original launcher will freeze during patching (or at least it did for me). The instructions mention the Unleashed Retail client, but it would be helpful if they were updated to specifically say NOT to ever use the regular launcher to patch.

I just wanted to note that if you are using SWTOR Unleased you MUST patch by running SWTOR Unleashed in Retail client mode. Simply running the normal original launcher will freeze during patching (or at least it did for me). The instructions mention the Unleashed Retail client, but it would be helpful if they were updated to specifically say NOT to ever use the regular launcher to patch.

You can use the retail launcher if you do "remove and quit" from unleashed first.

Do you have any info on what the rest of the file packages do or are for? For instance, for each of the game worlds, I see a "swtoren-us_area" version and an "swtormain_area" version - not sure what the difference is. What are the zed or misc areas comprised of? swtormain_gamedata, swtormain_gfx_assets, swtormain_global are also make me curious.

Overall, I'm looking to improve loading screen times for a level 50 player - aka operations, flashpoints, fleet - trying to figure out if I can select certain extra packages to add to the RAM disk to make this happen.

When I first start SWTOR Unleashed every time after I've shut my down computer it takes a minute or two to boot up because I configured it put 7.5 GB in a RAMDisk.

Is there any way you can change it so it doesn't have to recreate my 7.5 RAMDisk every time I want to start SWTOR. It's a great program, and I see nice improvements with it, but the fact that I have to wait like 2 minutes just to even launcher the game launcher is a big turn off.

Maybe you could code some determination logic into the program. Like, if the RAMDisk is present and is equal to the amount of MB booked in SWTOR Unleashed's settings, then skip creating the RAMDisk and launch the game launcher. It would still utilize the RAMDisk like normal, but wouldn't require an erroneous amount of startup time.

When I first start SWTOR Unleashed every time after I've shut my down computer it takes a minute or two to boot up because I configured it put 7.5 GB in a RAMDisk.

Is there any way you can change it so it doesn't have to recreate my 7.5 RAMDisk every time I want to start SWTOR. It's a great program, and I see nice improvements with it, but the fact that I have to wait like 2 minutes just to even launcher the game launcher is a big turn off.

Maybe you could code some determination logic into the program. Like, if the RAMDisk is present and is equal to the amount of MB booked in SWTOR Unleashed's settings, then skip creating the RAMDisk and launch the game launcher. It would still utilize the RAMDisk like normal, but wouldn't require an erroneous amount of startup time.

It already does this. If you don't reboot between 2 game sessions (and if you don't "remove and quit" or "retail" in between them), it won't recreate the ramdrive since it's already there.

Try using hibernatoin instead of power off. Works for me

Edited by Satanski

This is more a "my hdd/ssd just isn't up to snuff". If you need unleashed to make the game better then you really need to look at correcting your hardware issues. I use raid 10 regular hdd/s and 1 ssd cache drive. Unleashed has a minimal inpact. Did not help min fps. Lowest is 35fps for me fyi with 250 on rep fleet cruising by the gtn. Typically it's 60-110fps. Maybe a 5% increase on average using unleashed. But may be a placebo effect for my system. I've stopped using it as a result. However my hdd/s with ssd cache does bench at 550mb/s.

I think what most people need is to run a few hard drive/SSD benchmark programs. For example, just because you're using an SSD doesn't mean anything. Make sure the hardware is working optimally. Switching from ide to ahci in bios for example would double your speed. Using an MS ahci driver over a say a marvell driver can help as well. Also don't use the Marvell ports as they seem to have the worse performance. Latest bios and or oprom along with latest drivers. Although the latest isn't always the best option. C3 and C6 states enabled in bios on some systems cause hdd/ssd performace to drop to 1/2. Gigabyte notorious for this for some reason.

Someone mentioned readyboost and using a thumb drive. Well my thumb drive benches at 25mb/s in my usb3.0 port. So that would be a huge slow down using that option. I'd suggest benching yours before trying it. Knew mine wasn't fast as it's a fairly cheap one. But i had no idea it was that slow.

Now if you only have a regular hdd and it's not running in raid 0 or 10 i'd think unleashed would be very helpful. Other than that i'd suggest you really look into optimizing your system.

Course if you have a lot of ram like 12gb+ and an ssd or raid 0 or 10 i'd still try unleashed and see how helpful it is. But if you find it is helpful think seriously about optimizing your system. Cause you really shouldn't need to use it with that setup.

Edited by deadandburied

This is more a "my hdd/ssd just isn't up to snuff". If you need unleashed to make the game better then you really need to look at correcting your hardware issues. I use raid 10 regular hdd/s and 1 ssd cache drive. Unleashed has a minimal inpact. Did not help min fps. Lowest is 35fps for me fyi with 250 on rep fleet cruising by the gtn. Typically it's 60-110fps. Maybe a 5% increase on average using unleashed. But may be a placebo effect for my system. I've stopped using it as a result. However my hdd/s with ssd cache does bench at 550mb/s.

I think what most people need is to run a few hard drive/SSD benchmark programs. For example, just because you're using an SSD doesn't mean anything. Make sure the hardware is working optimally. Switching from ide to ahci in bios for example would double your speed. Using an MS ahci driver over a say a marvell driver can help as well. Also don't use the Marvell ports as they seem to have the worse performance. Latest bios and or oprom along with latest drivers. Although the latest isn't always the best option. C3 and C6 states enabled in bios on some systems cause hdd/ssd performace to drop to 1/2. Gigabyte notorious for this for some reason.

Someone mentioned readyboost and using a thumb drive. Well my thumb drive benches at 25mb/s in my usb3.0 port. So that would be a huge slow down using that option. I'd suggest benching yours before trying it. Knew mine wasn't fast as it's a fairly cheap one. But i had no idea it was that slow.

Now if you only have a regular hdd and it's not running in raid 0 or 10 i'd think unleashed would be very helpful. Other than that i'd suggest you really look into optimizing your system.

Course if you have a lot of ram like 12gb+ and an ssd or raid 0 or 10 i'd still try unleashed and see how helpful it is. But if you find it is helpful think seriously about optimizing your system. Cause you really shouldn't need to use it with that setup.

Very interesting comment about optimizing the computer. Though whatever you might say, your RAM will still outperform 10 to 100x times your SSD or SSD raid 0.

It's strange you got only 5% performance increase. Which settings did you use? What are your graphical settings?

RAM will outperform an SSD by 10X or so, unless the benchmark is expanded to include time spent futzing with configurations, uninstalling/reinstalling, posting cries for help here, downloading patches and extra drivers etc, etc, etc. And it turns out that it's an extra 10X you don't need for SWTOR.

SATA 2.5" SSD's cost approximately a dollar per GB, they plug into any spare SATA port on your motherboard, they require no configuration (just a quick NTFS format like any disk), they run SWTOR like a dream with no alternate configurations or install directories or special launchers required, AND they run your other two or three favorite games right alongside TOR with no fuss.

I would only use a RAMdrive on a seriously obsolete PC with no options for SSD expansion.

RAM will outperform an SSD by 10X or so, unless the benchmark is expanded to include time spent futzing with configurations, uninstalling/reinstalling, posting cries for help here, downloading patches and extra drivers etc, etc, etc. And it turns out that it's an extra 10X you don't need for SWTOR.

SATA 2.5" SSD's cost approximately a dollar per GB, they plug into any spare SATA port on your motherboard, they require no configuration (just a quick NTFS format like any disk), they run SWTOR like a dream with no alternate configurations or install directories or special launchers required, AND they run your other two or three favorite games right alongside TOR with no fuss.

I would only use a RAMdrive on a seriously obsolete PC with no options for SSD expansion.

Fact : I already have an OCZ Vertex 3 250GB SSD, Core I7 2600k o/c @4.2Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5850 and it does help me a lot.