Those who preordered the Hutt Cartel pack are we gettign screwed?

Arkanthos

Enough with these threads, really people.

If you are going to take the time to post something silly at least have the decency to search to see if another player asked this question already.

If you are new to MMOs and don't understand that eventually as time moves on content that was paid for in the past becomes much cheaper or free... well you should now understand this as this has been explained ad nauseum by folks trying to be helpful. If this is not your first game... seriously, why are you posting??

We get it.. you spent $10 for an expansion 7-8 months ago, you feel cheated. Yes, that small majority of people who received cartel coins as pretty much a refund for their recent purchase of Makeb have unduly benefited. (sigh) There, now can we please focus on other non-whiney topics so the mods can quit wasting their time reviewing these silly threads and focus on the ones with legitimate issues, questions, concerns and hopefully a new topic by Sir Copperfield (yes, I am a fan).

If you are new to MMOs and don't understand that eventually as time moves on content that was paid for in the past becomes much cheaper or free...

(Quote above edited to be more polite)

While I don't share elvinlordryan's annoyance, he does have a point OP.

MMO's release expansions for money and then later drop the price or make it free later on in order to make room for new content and this is done because it keeps even older MMO's feeling more "fresh" for longtime players. Don't forget, it's actually quite common for players of MMO's to subscribe to their favorite games for years and this cycle is one of the ways that MMO's manage to do that: by always releasing or making something more available.

That being said, it usually comes just before something like a raise in the level cap (the highest level your character can get to) or a release of end-of-game content that usually needs that recently dropped to free expansion. Heck, even the much beloved and quietly lamented City of Heroes dropped their "sister game" City of Villains that originally hit the shelves at about $40-$60 down to nothing so that the developers could make way for more interactions and blending between the two games. Granted, that game waited a bit longer for that drop but, then again, the "expansion" in that case cost quite a bit more and was way more involved as well so, to bring the idea home for you- it would be like having to buy the Imperial Side of this game separately for 40 or 60 bucks, play that for a little while only to have it suddenly become free.

There are of course, other comparisons to other expansions from other games but, they all pretty much go the same route and, hopefully you can now understand why many of us who have played MMOs so have been through these types of drops before really aren't all that upset by $10 spent half a year ago in comparison particularly given that we know that these kinds of moves usually mean that something is in the works to be released that we just haven't heard about yet because, well, something always is.

Now, that being said, will whatever it is be bad or good? Who can say but I know that I'm going to withhold my judgement for now until I see whatever it is.

:)

I'm with you pretty much across the board.

It doesn't bother me the expansion is now "free". I've been playing it for months and I didn't pay much for it. Stuff gets cheaper as time goes on, that's just how the economy works.

But speaking of economy...

I DO NOT agree that all I appear to have gotten was a title while others who have probably spent less cash than I are getting Cartel Coins. Cartel Coins are arguably worth money since they are generally purchased (with the exception of the monthly grant, which in my case is far less than the amount being awarded).

The reward incentive here seems to indicate they'd rather we NOT be subscribers.

We get it.. you spent $10 for an expansion 7-8 months ago, you feel cheated. Yes, that small majority of people who received cartel coins as pretty much a refund for their recent purchase of Makeb have unduly benefited. (sigh) There, now can we please focus on other non-whiney topics so the mods can quit wasting their time reviewing these silly threads and focus on the ones with legitimate issues, questions, concerns and hopefully a new topic by Sir Copperfield (yes, I am a fan).

Being frank I agree and I just want to add on a bit. Why are multiple threads being posted on a miniscule XPAC that was $10 and gave you BONUSES for pre-ordering. I have honestly felt more cheated by a World of Warcraft XPAC to see a 3 days (literally) it is on sale for $20 cheaper and no one is offering me a refund. So Bioware I commend you.Seriously I do and gamers should feel lucky they are giving you CC for a purchase made with the past 30 days start 9/5/13 I think. Most MMOs never give anything back you paid tough luck. So anyone griping about an Xpac this small that cost less than you monthly sub is seriously demented or does possess the knowledge of economics to know things cost a certain amount to consumers until the next iteration comes out then price drops to sell as much as you can to push out new product. Take Apple for instance while rumors may fly around every year who knows when a new iteration is coming out (except for September lol) But if you bought the Iphone 4S and then the 5 comes out. Do you think Apple will refund you? No, same goes for most products. So Bioware thanks for showing the consumers here on SWTOR you care and allowing new players to catch up on content. Obviously new content must be coming soon its the only time MMOs do things of this nature. Take a stroll on the bright side or Light Side since this is Star Wars.

I'm with you pretty much across the board.

It doesn't bother me the expansion is now "free". I've been playing it for months and I didn't pay much for it. Stuff gets cheaper as time goes on, that's just how the economy works.

But speaking of economy...

I DO NOT agree that all I appear to have gotten was a title while others who have probably spent less cash than I are getting Cartel Coins. Cartel Coins are arguably worth money since they are generally purchased (with the exception of the monthly grant, which in my case is far less than the amount being awarded).

The reward incentive here seems to indicate they'd rather we NOT be subscribers.

The incentive is to gather NEW subscribers, you have had access to the content for at least over a month allowing you that advantage. Should CE holders get back $110 w/e dollars since the game is free now? Does not make since financially does it? Same goes for your argument. Technically the Xpac is not really free since you have to become a subscriber $14.99 or cheaper if you buy 6 month/1 year package. Only person who could come out on top is if they buy the physical copy add the code and if Bioware allows then get the Xpac for free. So then it still would cost $5 and I am not counting shipping. So basically they are paying getting a free month subscription.

Edited by DarthChosen

Pre-ordered and don't mind just getting the title. I think it's great they are offering it for free now for subs. I just see this as them getting to the point that they wanted to, where they could just start giving free content more often or totally. But if they offer pre-order again with early access, I will pre-order any new content that offers that. I enjoy the PVE very much and will support the game. At least until Blade and Soul releases and even after possibly.

If you are going to take the time to post something silly at least have the decency to search to see if another player asked this question already.

If you are new to MMOs and don't understand that eventually as time moves on content that was paid for in the past becomes much cheaper or free... well you should now understand this as this has been explained ad nauseum by folks trying to be helpful. If this is not your first game... seriously, why are you posting??

well said.

but please don't get sir copperfield going again. he needs to stay on his meds.:rolleyes:

I understand what you are saying but some of us pay full price for it i was not a sub yet when i bought it but in return i only a title "The Risen" which i think they will make availible in the new cartell packs when need to get like a 1k cartell coins or a 200% increase in XP for a week or weekend becuase really a titl.

So, this is how it's done in all other MMO's? If the ambition of Bioware/EA and others are no higher then to be 'another MMO' so keep it up .. ... .... turn a great game in to just another MMO!!!

Thinking new doesn't just apply on storyline and gamemechanics ...

5 months..

Aside from that I don't think people are complaining just due to not getting CC but due to the fact that this was a bizarre U-turn that happened too soon and they feel robbed by investing in something that was going to be made free only in a couple of months.

At the end of the day Bioware have been going around in circles in regards to pricing since the expac was even announced, at first it was hinted that the pack was going to be free for subs. Then as the release date got closer we learnt it was not going to be free but with a "don't worry.. it's going to be worth the money.." line added to it. Now only a few months down the line it was made free after people have only just invested in it.

IMO they didn't need to charge us beyond our sub fee for it in the first place, by them making it free already it's obvious earnings from actually charging for it were insignificant and probably done more harm to subscription numbers than it was worth.

However it was us early adopters who paid the price for this business mistake, not the guy who come up with the idea of adding a price tag to it in the first place.

Bioware is just saying openly that it wasn't "really" an expansion and that it should be free ^^

When the content could hold on a post-it, I believe that complaining about their commercial practices a few months later makes it look pretty empty.

You just know what to do with your money next time an "expansion" comes out :D

... When i read the Collector's Edition and Preorder crowd making so much noise about them having bought the Collector's Edition, and having even preordered,

about the fact that their Preorder & Collector's Edition vendors on the Fleet didn't get ANY new stuff when 2.0 hit -

- it then occurred to me that those who preordered ROTHC got ... NOTHING like that. In-game mail with exclusives, very good, I feel that it was gopod stuff, but -

- no Fleet Vendor ! No exclusive stuff !

So, here we have :

- Preorder SWTOR - got in-game vendor

- Preorder ROTHC - got no in-game vendor

and they STILL they make noise about no new items for both in-game vendors !?

What about US ???

what's it all about is that, the one already paying as a sub is taken for granted, and the next one to be added to that list is more important then the one already on it!! That's how the quarterly budget goal are met in the short term and how a business i ruined in the long run.

i preorderd it 1st oppertunity i could when it was announced, it was cheap and i struggle with money, and it was ages ago.

Me personally im glad its free now, means more people getting 55 and join the raid and pvp queues and be more useful to their guilds if in one.

more queue pops? damn sure its worth it being free now after so long.

Well done for once bioware.

Ah well, what u are saying is; look at the bigger picture. I can buy that at some point. But say, that u as a sub and a pre-orderer would have gotten one free item pick in each and every Cartel packages up to making the x-pan free for all subs.

That is promoting to pre-order the next x-pan and a reason to become a sub.

Then, I think, we all had been a bit more understanding, and truly felt that we're been looking after. So the Jedi way says mistakes can be corrected and hearts can be won over again . . . and balance restored.

• 2 weeks later...
Ah well, what u are saying is; look at the bigger picture. I can buy that at some point. But say, that u as a sub and a pre-orderer would have gotten one free item pick in each and every Cartel packages up to making the x-pan free for all subs.

That is promoting to pre-order the next x-pan and a reason to become a sub.

Then, I think, we all had been a bit more understanding, and truly felt that we're been looking after. So the Jedi way says mistakes can be corrected and hearts can be won over again . . . and balance restored.

I say give whoever wants a refund, a refund in cartel coins, but then rollback their endgame toons to 50. Just to be fair.