Lack of available names? (Help needed)

Ajaxduo

Currently I have one character Falere Lvl 55 Powertech but now I'm looking to start new characters. I like names that sound 'realistic' yet unique, I put a lot of thought into my characters. Although it can takes hours sometimes days until you actually get a somewhat decent name. I understand that this game is nearing 2 years of age so a lot of people have created characters and such so the common names are taken etc. It's somewhat frustrating so I'm turning to you the community and hoping that you can inspire me with some cool names and stuff. Characters I'm hoping to make: Imperial Agent (Human Female), Sith Sorcerer (Human Female). So uh yeah...help? :eek: haha

Actually the game's not even a year and a half yet, but that's being overly pedantic.

Humans, hmm?

Are there any particular sounds or letters you like to use or which you feel would better reflect your character's personalities?

Some ideas that I do:

- Look up names from other countries and places. Indian and Arabian names are my favorite. They are very pretty and also unique. DO NOT PICK JAPANESE. This only makes you look like a rabid anime nerd.

- Get some mythology/folklore books, but not Greek/Roman because everybody uses those. Egyptian in moderation for the same reason.

- Go here: The Plant List. Here is a list of Latin names of flowering plants. All of them in existence. You can play with the spellings to make them look/sound cooler or more like given names (example: for my sorcerer I made Elaeis (a plant) into Elaeys.

- In general, Latin taxonomic names of animals and plants are fantastic sources of names. I use The Plant List because it's a great centralized list of useful inspiration. Here's a list of butterfly and moth species which is also nice: Butterflies and Moths

Well, there are my secrets, so don't tell.

I have got to be honest, I hit buttons until I find a nice vowel/consonant sequence that works and easily spelt.

I have a level 4 Trooper named Zdinne. I somehow managed to nab Benedicta, three times. When in doubt, apostrophes.

Actually the game's not even a year and a half yet, but that's being overly pedantic.

Humans, hmm?

Are there any particular sounds or letters you like to use or which you feel would better reflect your character's personalities?

Which is why I said nearing :p it's about 4 months off I think. I'm an avid rp'er so it is somewhat meaningful to me :) I just wondered if anyone could share a little inspiration. I'm looking to make a Imperial Agent Sniper. Human Female, white hair and ice blue eyes (somewhat Echani like). Going to play light side. I'd appreciate the help.

Some ideas that I do:

- Look up names from other countries and places. Indian and Arabian names are my favorite. They are very pretty and also unique. DO NOT PICK JAPANESE. This only makes you look like a rabid anime nerd.

- Get some mythology/folklore books, but not Greek/Roman because everybody uses those. Egyptian in moderation for the same reason.

- Go here: The Plant List. Here is a list of Latin names of flowering plants. All of them in existence. You can play with the spellings to make them look/sound cooler or more like given names (example: for my sorcerer I made Elaeis (a plant) into Elaeys.

- In general, Latin taxonomic names of animals and plants are fantastic sources of names. I use The Plant List because it's a great centralized list of useful inspiration. Here's a list of butterfly and moth species which is also nice: Butterflies and Moths

Well, there are my secrets, so don't tell.

Pretty interesting, I'll give it a go thanks!

Well, you could always do a method I've done when coming up with any fantasy/sci-fi names: Look around where ever your computer is and pick 2-3 objects at random. Simply splice them together in various ways or use only the letters present to make something up. Scissors and a window, say, could become RossDoscin.

Sometimes takes a moment to connect things, but hey, it's usually original and since it's Star Wars, you can have something crazily named and it would still fit (See: Vrblthers). Or you could just be silly and mash your keyboard (which it looks like they did with whoever came up with Vrblthers) and say something like Rvgeauwl and be all "That's pronounced RavageAzul!"

I use prosopographies of classical Mediterranean history to generate names I like, except for the two that I named after characters in a fantasy novel series I enjoy. These return obscure names - unlike looking through mythology for "Athene"s and "Ianvs"es and "Ariadne"s - that nevertheless "look" realistic. The works I use most are the PLRE and the PBW. Edited by Euphrosyne

I also struggled with this. I've always been terrible with coming up with names, even in single player games where I could have whatever name I wanted. In an mmo, where so many names are already taken, it's even worse.

In the end, I just hit the random generator button until I found something that wasn't completely horrible.

Find a theme of words that you like, and plug them into google translate to help generate ideas. Once you find a translated word; do some variances on it to make it look good to you.

For example; My legacy name for one server translates to 'Lingers' My first names are emotions that I also translated to the same language. The first names also relate to whether the character is Light, Neutral, or Dark side. Couldn't use the name Rage, for some reason it was taken ;). But there are many emotions, and they have variances and synonyms enough to where I could find some great names.

So- Enlightenment Lingers, Cleverness Lingers, Dismay Lingers; and more- That is me!

Do not underestimate the value of vile and dreadful puns and allusions in naming your characters. Pick a theme and riff on it. My husband has dibs on subatomic and quantum particles, though.

My method is similar to Lingers's. My main Legacy name is Maris (Latin for " the sea") and most of my alts are vile sea-related puns/references/allusions, in as many languages as I can come up with: Stelae Maris; star of the sea. Verdot Maris: the wine-dark sea. Safira Maris; the deep blue sea. Dulcia Maris; the embracing (sweet) sea. Aaand so on.

If I ever run out of poetic references to the sea, which I don't imagine will happen, I shall fall back on other word plays, or the Ancient and Venerable Sith naming tradition of finding a word that starts with IN (inVader, inSidious) and chopping off the IN. (My Inquisitor is Kwell. One day she will have a warrior compatriot called Diannajones). Just get a dictionary and turn to In--, and the jokes write themselves, I tell you ... er, I mean, there are many fine names.

To add more ideas, here are some characters I've seen across the servers in the past year and more:

Legacy name: Holdthemayo Names: Hamonwheat, Hamonrye

Legacy name: Bagodonuts Names: Imaphatt, Bigjigglin (Male Twi'lek Body type 4, lol)

Legacy name: Trator Names: Perp, Arbit, Cas, Pene (I wouldn't be surprised if there is a Seques Trator, now)

Edited by amaresch

I love making up random names :D I will make up 2 for every letter, here:

Arien

Avella

Bashka

Bevian

Celania

Cren

Delondra

Davine

Estorica

Esheva

Ferrise

Faralia

Gelevre

Ginis

Hyrun

Hemina

Iverika

Ilora

Jaske

Juleve

Kevra

Kirrie

Lysiria

Lometta

Maranel

Meseca

Nelefer

Nand

Orivine

Oferis

Patra

Pydrien

Quenette

Qye

Ressca

Raviera

Sorinat

Sevetine

Traken

Torinada

Ulivette

Ubae

Veirica

Vollanas

Wyvelen

Wansera

Xullis

Xinifeye

Yara

Yyorina

Zelitra

Zufrie

:D

try what I did! take a word that has a meaning you like, then tweak it until it resembles a name! here is my process!

I like the word Immortal, Ambrosia is word that means immortal

next just play around with the spelling or composite it with a more normal name. In my case I chose Seina... the end result is my Jedi Sage Ambroseina!

I once used to collect names of spammers, too.

Rework them a bit, and you'll have good names !

The only thing I'd advice is : PLease don't use them in online games ! :D

I use them for my Fantasy Short Stories instead. ;)

Another possibility is, to look into other countries. ;)

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

Personally I like to come up with a name that would seem nice to my character, and if it's taken, make a little changes to it. Used my vanguard as an example in another thread and I'm going to use it here, too. The name I first thought would be nice was Ranja, but it was taken. Then I started to make small changed to the name and see if I'd find one that's free. Like Renja, Ranaja, Ranjata, Ranata. After a while, my vanguard finally found her name, Ranjana. ^^

I used a combination of two latin words for my sorceror: Vetestas (Vetere: Sorceror, Potestas: Powerful) I just thought "Lord Vetestas" or "Darth Vetestas" would sound good.

I use latin word combinations for most of my names. Its easy to make them sound star warsy with minimal effort.

Hope that helps :)

With this game I've developed a naming scheme that's almost guaranteed to get me the name I want. I choose the name I want and then tack my legacy name on the end. My toons will all have the last few letters the same but by doing that I can choose pretty much whatever I want as a name for my toon.

Which is why I said nearing :p it's about 4 months off I think. I'm an avid rp'er so it is somewhat meaningful to me :) I just wondered if anyone could share a little inspiration. I'm looking to make a Imperial Agent Sniper. Human Female, white hair and ice blue eyes (somewhat Echani like). Going to play light side. I'd appreciate the help.

I see it's been a few days since you started this thread. I don't know if you've found a good name yet, but I have a suggestion for a name that would fit that look. I don't know if it's available on your server, though. I'll PM it to you on the off-chance you still need a name, just to be sure someone else doesn't see it before you do.

By the way, if you like the name but it's unavailable, there's always the option of playing around with alternate spellings.

Edited by nateslice

I have seen a good many ideas here. To those that are still trying to pick out a name,

the ideas mentioned so far are good across the board and mostly for force users.

For those non- force users, you can use code words.

* For Imperial Agents- think of any code names, agents, etc...

(Already seen my share of X-FILES Mulder and Scully)...

* For Smugglers- think of your captains.

(already seen my share of FIREFLY Captain Mal Reyolds)

* For Troopers / Bounty Hunters- think code names. A few ideas can be be gotten

from TRANSFORMERS, G.I. JOE cartoons, and such...watch and use your imagination.

(Snake-eyes, Gearbox, Sgt. Slaughter. Duke Nukem, )

---> Mirage.. a good name .for someone that can cloak

Hope this helps...Good Luck.

These are ideas I have used:

Use your name: first, middle, and / or last. Spell them back words. Spell them how they are pronounced backwards. Add hyphens and apostrophes. Remember you only have 15 spaces to make up a name, so you may have to mess around a little. Use friends' and family members' names.

Scramble up these names and rearrange them so they look and sound alien-esque. Add hyphens and apostrophes. I know you prefer humans while I, on the other hand, prefer aliens. Sorry. The two above suggestions are techniques I have used in writing stories. I have integrated friends and family members' names into them.

Finally try "Plays on Words." This was what I did on all of my alts: Your name conveys a message to anyone to reads it and can recognize it's meaning. It can convey a threat or a peaceful gesture. The last few letters can be your Surname (family / Legacy). Try to develop similar messages into plays on words, while keeping in mind, the last name you reserved as your legacy name.

Edited by Darth_Krushya
more info