So, what exactly is a DPS sorc supposed to do?

Cretinus

well you might not have the time, but i seem to manage it just fine. You aren't always being attacked by good players. And Even if you are, its still real easy to switch targets throw a bubble and switch back. There is no reason why a DPS sage shouldn't have over 200K healing when your team doesn't have a real healer. I have put up over 450K healing as a dps sage. And Many ganes with 300K+ damage 280K+ healing. But I like winning so I do whatever I can to help win. If we have good healers then yes I will DPS non stop.There is always time for a dps to throw heals. Hell my dps commandos heals are way worst then my sages and I have put up 270k healing in a full dps spec. Bioware gave us these skills to use. Stop letting your teammates die because you are dps.

Jenna'syyde

It sounds to me like you don't get to face many good players. Good players aren't going to let themselves get caught out of line-of-healer-sight. The more time you spend bubbling your team-mates and incurring the penalty of having to reapply your kiting rotation to give you some distance, the more time the enemies are being healed. It also begs the question why your team was without a healer.

If you had one, you guys clearly failed at protecting/peeling for them if you feel the need to bubble team-mates. If you didn't have one, then you clearly failed as a sorcerer to respec heals to help your team.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying you should never bubble your team-mates when healers aren't around. I'm saying that if you have the time to bubble your team-mates as a DPS sorcerer you aren't facing very good players.

Edited by Yeochins

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying you should never bubble your team-mates when healers aren't around. I'm saying that if you have the time to bubble your team-mates as a DPS sorcerer you aren't facing very good players.

Not to mention that it's a HUGE waste of force that takes away from your potential to kill anyone. Considering how lame our burst is to begin with, losing SUSTAINED damage in order to throw a weak bubble on someone is just absurd.

Not to mention that it's a HUGE waste of force that takes away from your potential to kill anyone. Considering how lame our burst is to begin with, losing SUSTAINED damage in order to throw a weak bubble on someone is just absurd.

I'm sorry but You have more then enough force to throw heals and bubbles with proper use of Sacrifice. And there is more then enough time to switch between targets while being attacked. If you are being focused you are going to die anyways so why not give your teammate a bubble before going. You can kite and throw bubbles at same time. Can this always be done at all times no. But Seriously it isn't that difficult. How do you think healers do it when they get attacked. Basically you are the healer if there is no healer (unless of course you don't like winning)

And If you do have a healer and hes getting trained, its your responsibility to help keep him alive. If a tank puts guard on you it's your responsibility to help keep him up.

Jenna'syyde

I'm sorry but You have more then enough force to throw heals and bubbles with proper use of Sacrifice. And there is more then enough time to switch between targets while being attacked. If you are being focused you are going to die anyways so why not give your teammate a bubble before going. You can kite and throw bubbles at same time. Can this always be done at all times no. But Seriously it isn't that difficult. How do you think healers do it when they get attacked. Basically you are the healer if there is no healer (unless of course you don't like winning)

And If you do have a healer and hes getting trained, its your responsibility to help keep him alive. If a tank puts guard on you it's your responsibility to help keep him up.

Jenna'syyde

Sacrifice? The squishiest class in PvP is supposed to get rid of 50% HP points to gain some force in order to be able to cast a couple of heals on the next melee? And by doing so, he will make himself onehittable by every enemy melee? I must have missed the point where sorcerers were declared to be companions to friendly melees / training dummies for enemy melees.

Apart from that: No. It's not a DPS's sorc responsibility to keep melees alive. A DPS sorc has defensive CDs for himself, not for keeping melee gods alive. Use your own CDs.

Edited by Cretinus

The simple fact is, if I spec into pure dps on my Sorc I should have as much chance to kill another pure dps profession as they do me. We're both meant to be pure dps and our low armour should mean we are powerful glass canons. Right now we're glass canons without balls, canon balls I mean. :D Everyone knows it so please stop pretending this is s L2P issue. Only tanks should be able to shrug off our dps and attack us, not other dps classes like sentinels. If I get the drop on a sentinel and manage to reel off 2/3 moves before they turn and jump at me, THEY SHOULD DIE FIRST. This isn't the case.

Some folks are bigging up the slight boost to dps Sorcs are getting in 2.0, but the problem professions for us are also getting boosts! Plus, Bioware took the instant WW out of madness.

Everyone is saying it, Sorcs/sages are good only for healing in 2.0. This isn't balance, 2.0 is the same old nonsense dressed up in new boxes.

tsk tsk.

Sage/sorc shouldnt have any problems with killing others. I play shadow and when i start to hit sorc, first that stun bubble stuns me and sorc hits a lot. then i start to chase him/her but he/she uses force speed and has a couple of seconds to hit me. After that i go after him/her again but he/she uses knockback and cant move for 5 sec and when im able to move again, he/she hits me again. And IF im still alive after that, another stun bubble stuns me and sorc can hit me again. And ofc sorcerers have normal 4sec stun and that 8sec one if my resolve isnt 100% already...

Im not saying that i never win sorc BUT im telling that its not hard to a sorc to kill others.

Learn to play issue.

As a shadow you should not have a problem facing sorcerers. You need to be smart about your burst. If your running deception do not open with voltaic slash. It is incredibly easy to tell who is a bad Assassin player by how they open on a Sorcerer or any bubbled opponite for that matter. Assuming this is your first engagement assume they have a stun bubble.

What does this mean?, it means you pop the bubble using shock or some other skill from 10 meters. You save force shroud for the rebubble, slow and knockback root.

If you are a Darkness or Darkness hybrid and are having problems with Sorcerers/Sages, you'd better just stop playing your class and play sniper. Your ability to pull a kiting sorcerer to you is an instant win. If you cant figure out how to use it properly or find yourself loosing even when you have it, you are very bad at playing your class.

Edited by Yeochins

To bubble or not to bubble (your teammates as a dps sage)? That is the question. Well, it depends on some factors. If there is a sage healer it should be avoided as you are messing up with his healing rotations and priorities. So if there is no sage healer around?

As full balance it should be avoided as it exhausts your force quickly and sacrifice only creates deadlocks in force management due to decreased regeneration rates.

As bubble stun hybrid, hopefully you have invested a point in effusion which a day and night difference in force management. In that case between channeling of tk throw you can be selective and throw a bubble now and then which if well placed can help your team.

Also regardless of dps spec you can throw a bubble to a few of your teammates due to cooldown at spawn and regain your force in a few secs, as you shouldn't be the one opening the attack. Running to assist a solo defender, you can give him a bubble even better from 30m. There are a few more exceptions also that a bubble is worth your force points.

Healing as dps should be avoided at all times. Your heals are weak and force exhausting. The only person might worth throwing a heal situationally if a healer is not on the field is your tank who tends to guard you. There are a few more exceptions where switching to healing is preferred but normally it should be avoided.

Now, someone might say that I play a healing hybrid, well the only healing hybrid worth playing is a tk one for the bubble stun and the force management easiness, in return you are giving up your powerful aoe heal and some healing bonuses. Also this tk hybrid is poor in dps, so you should be playing as a normal healer. But what about a healing balance hybrid. From my experience this is the worst of the worst. You are taking penalties in your healing, ommiting bubble stun, force management or the extra cc goodies of the tk tree, and the gains from balance do not give good burst dps nor strong dots. In other words you have medium heals, bad force management, medium to bad cc, medium dps. You are there trying to cover holes mediumly and thisis not useful.

Jenna'syyde

You obviously have never played a madness Sorc against anyone with a whiff of skill. As a Sorc you tend to be target number one for most of the dps on the other team. Most of the time they assume you are a healer, but more importantly you are almost always the thing that falls to focus fire the fastest, at worst they will force you to retreat out of the fight. Madness has no bubble stun and suffers from lack of force very often if you are playing him right (i.e maximizing your damage) . We are deadly if ignored, I wont argue that. Our sustained damage is prefect for harassing healers or helping burst dps kill things faster. But having a class that is only great when ignored is rather unbalanced.

Using your weak bubble on anyone other than yourself is 99% of the time a waste of force, and a drop in your damage that is not outweighed by any minimal survivability it gives someone else. Are there times when I do use it to help someone? Yes. But this would be an exception not the rule. Madness sorc is more usefully killing than bubbling. A Lightning sorc is different because of bubble stun, but that is getting nerfed anyhow.

Edited by FodderofCannon