DirectX 11 Upgrade Please

Gawlron

• 3 months later...
My graphics card does have D11 support - my OS not.

How does your OS not have DX11 support? If you're running the proper NVidia/AMD drivers, you should have DX11 support. :confused:

Edited by Gawlron
typo

You guys can be doing so much more with DX11 and DX11.1. For those of us (who I would imagine are many) who have gaming machines - we would appreciate a DX11 optional patch.

Anyone asking for this clearly has no knowledge of programming, i personally don't have knowledge of programming, but my 2 brothers do and they both say, mmos should not have top-notch graphics, non-mmo sized games sure, but not mmos.

Hope to see this in plans after Rise of the Hutt Cartel.

The fact is that DX 11 is not a new thing! Well, my card is about 3 years old and it does have DX 11 support.

Well, the engine is 5+ years old :p

Anyone asking for this clearly has no knowledge of programming, i personally don't have knowledge of programming, but my 2 brothers do and they both say, mmos should not have top-notch graphics, non-mmo sized games sure, but not mmos.

This is the WOW (or Blizzard rather) mantra. The lower the requirements to run a game, the more potential customers - that's all. I think for specialty games (which I would consider SWTOR) this doesn't really apply - in fact they might get more customers if the game looked better (and ran better)

Edited by Asavrede

Anyone asking for this clearly has no knowledge of programming

Speaking of programming - DX is client side engine, not server one. Thus, only your machine will be affected.

Implementing DX 11 support as an option will save current user population no matter of computer configuration. And new shiny graphics will also attract new users.

Everyone has benefit - both users and BioWare - in the long term.

Haha... omg... that's a good one... wait, you're serious? :eek:

Here's a very small list of MMOs that have DX11:

- ArcheAge

- DND Online

- Star Trek Online

- Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar

- World of Warcraft

- The Secret World

- Elder Scrolls Online (BETA)

Here is some documentation I found using my Microsoft Developer Network account (...):

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ee663274(v=vs.85).aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ff476342(v=vs.85).aspx < this one talks about all the optimizations and improvements, mainly for performance. Better performance = better graphics to the general public.

DirectX 11 doesn't just mean: it looks nicer. it is more optimized for today's hardware.

Even when developing new games for use with DirectX 9 and 10, Microsoft recommends using the DirectX 11 APIs because you can down-level the API to use only features that were available to DX9/10.

So... your brothers... unemployed eh? That's too bad...

DX 11 is not available in Windows XP and older as far as I know.

Yeah, you're right, XP was EoL last year or the year before I think... So, I kind of deleted that repository of knowledge I had in my head for it...

Well we do have the technology to use our DirectX 11 graphics cards and do want to push them, Bioware should look at the option to have both DirectX9 and 11 options available in the graphics interface

All of the titles I listed above have that option. And if BW was using the DX11 API already (like they should have been...) I don't see why they wouldn't implement it on the get go, but the engine they choose ... has some issues that they never really talked about. Like chat bubbles... why the performance hit? And even their name plates and text have performance issues (but it might only be visible on SLI/CrossFire hardware).