What was the point of lvls 1-50?

TyrKartelos

As an Empire player I feel very distraught over the Makeb expansion. You see, I saved Balmorra, Taris, Hoth and a whole bunch of other planets....now we are losing the war? What a waste of time...

come on OP, it is destined for the empire to lost via the original trilogy movies

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, it is the other way around

Empire starts out as strong and unified in their conquest of the galaxy, while Republic is still recovering from losses on Coruscant and other planets, even tough that was over a decade ago. When the game starts, things slowly start to tilt in Republic's favor, until they basically win by the end of Act 3 (spoilers list both Republic and Imperial actions that affect the war)

Act 1

Elite SpecForce team gets partially reformed (leader, fighter, medic, war droid), traitors are hunted down

Several imperial superweapons are destroyed

At least 2 high ranking members of Sith Hierarchy get killed (Angral+Jadus)

Act 2

Republic retakes Balmorran Arms Factory, know for producing extremely advanced war droids and ship weapons

Republic learns about the Children of the Emperor

Republic manages to secure the alliance of several powerful planets that wanted to secede (Rift Alliance, made up of Balmorra and several other powerful planets)

Act 3

Imperial Intelligence is dissolved for no apparent reason but for pissing off the Sith, which weakens the Empire a great deal

Barsen'thor of the Jedi Order collects a significant army from several alien races, like Voss and the Esh'Ka

First Son of the Emperor gets defeated, unmasking all Children

Corellia gets liberated

Supreme chancellor Janarus is removed from office (steps down or is killed), and is replaced by Saresh, who is much more aggressive against the Empire

Emperor gets apparently killed (although this fact is concealed from most)

Darth Baras tries to become Emperor and gets defeated

Darth Malgus and several of his loyal followers start their own Empire, all get killed

Yeah, I'm just talking from the end of level 50 forward. You're right in the entirety of the war however.

I highly doubt anyone will win or lose the war during this game. It will probably be years after SWTOR ends, and they'll come out with a book revealing what happens.

The Republic starts out strong, 1-50

But then Empire sorts itself out and unifies 50-55.

The Emperor comes back, and the Empire will basically kick the Republics butt

Only for in the end the Republic to swoop in and win.

In lore, wasn't there one time when the Empire actually takes over the galaxy (other than Palpatine)? I thought there was, but maybe I'm wrong on that. Don't know if it would be this time or not.

When the Emperor comes back, he's more likely to be at war with the Empire than anything else.

Anyways, the Empire would be winning the war if it weren't for "insert Sith infighting here" in most SW eras. The same is true for this game. Having played both sides, I'd say the Empire came out ahead with Balmorra for the time being(the Republic has not held it nearly as long as the Empire, meaning they've had less droids built from it for the war effort, plus they lost a few systems when it was revealed they were violating the treaty there, so this is a potentially long term Republic victory but for the time being Balmorra benefited the Empire more), won a military but not a long-term strategic victory on Taris, tied for Nar Shadda, tied for Quesh, tied for Tatooine, lost the planet but gained an advantage over the Republic on Hoth(the intent there to cause maximum damage with minimum resources), won on Voss, came out ahead on Corellia(Corellia is devastated and there's no clear indication of either side taking extraordinarily higher losses), won on Belsavis, and wins on Ilum. However, the victory on Voss and Ilum both turn out negatives, as does the victory on Belsavis. The Voss majority (Ignoring the small group involved in a certain class storyline, that's not the Voss majority) end up fighting against the Empire and joining Emperor Malgus, the crystals the Empire won on Ilum are used up by Malgus, again, against the Empire, the Dread Masters have turned on the Empire and stolen a substantial portion of their forces(meaning even in winning at Denova, the Empire loses a large force), not to mention the loss of nearly the entire Dark Council over the course of the game.

On a side note, its really unclear what happens to Alderaan. I suspect civil war continues as both the Imperial and Republic supported heirs try to claim the throne.

Having played both sides, I'd say the Empire came out ahead with Balmorra for the time being(the Republic has not held it nearly as long as the Empire, meaning they've had less droids built from it for the war effort, plus they lost a few systems when it was revealed they were violating the treaty there, so this is a potentially long term Republic victory but for the time being Balmorra benefited the Empire more)

As far as I know the empire had been attempting to conquer Balmorra for years, failing miserably until your character comes along. In the story, we see your character taking control of droid making facilities, going as far as the rebels making them to fight the empire, so I really don't see the Empire making droids long time... only to have the Republic come in and liberate the planet. Empires victory on Balmorra was a pyrrhic one at best. Wasting tremendous resources to conquer the planet, only to lose it to the Republic quite rapidly.

lost the planet but gained an advantage over the Republic on Hoth

And the republic gained powerful anti-ship weapons...

won on Voss

As far as the Republic storyline goes, the Voss either decide to stay neutral, to deal with their own problems, or side with the Republic. Also no matter what you do, some of the Voss pledge themselves to the Jedi Consular and his army (the only class to have one). So no, no victory for the empire here.

came out ahead on Corellia (Corellia is devastated and there's no clear indication of either side taking extraordinarily higher losses),

Luckily for the Republic, the thing of interest are the orbital shipyards, for which Corellia is famous.

So yea, Republic winning... not surprising.

Edited by GuruVII

As an Empire player I feel very distraught over the Makeb expansion. You see, I saved Balmorra, Taris, Hoth and a whole bunch of other planets....now we are losing the war? What a waste of time...

The same point as the first 50 screens in Centipede.

you should play more individual stories.

especially agent and jedi knight.

lets just say, Makeb intro was not at all a surprise for me.

in fact the ONLY reason republic didn't already win is because they are ridiculously disorganized and have more than their share of corruption in the ranks.

empire is losing because of all the Sith infighting and power plays. if not for sith - empire would have won a long time ago, republic wouldn't have a chance.

You never played a rep char, did you?

Here is something you have to know about balmorra:

The reps got it back and Darth Lachris was killed, you just bought them some time

on Voss

some of the voss also join the sith, so there's no clear advantage for the republic here - while Voss themselves remain mostly neutral, there are many and varied steps you can take to make them more sympathetic to the empire

in terms of imperial characters, especially sith inquisitor and possibly jedi consular

you become a freaking member of the council but do you actualy do anything in that role? not really, you just go back to your personal pursuits. and if I'm not mistaken, that's with Jedi consular killing several members of the Council on Corelia. - I haven't finished sage story yet, so not 100% sure

basically imperial military as a whole, is superior to that of republic, havoc squad notwithstanding, but because its subject to sith whims, it doesn't get to be fully effective :/

I feel more like it's the Empire fighting the Sith. Half of them are short sighted idiots who can't see further than their arse on a special chair, leaving the rest of us to rot at home and on the front lines.

Yes, I am bitter over Intelligence and I'll everyone on the Dark Council know what I think.

But that is their nature, like spiders. They can never come together because they will eat each other. This is why we don't have spider silk farms

basically imperial military as a whole, is superior to that of republic, havoc squad notwithstanding, but because its subject to sith whims, it doesn't get to be fully effective :/

That's why I love the Imp. Agent story

There you reveal the true stand of the sith empires forces on corellia, which are way too small and it's explained, that because of some power plays between thanaton and zash's former apprentice and between baras and his former apprentice, the troops are being wasted even worse

That's why I love the Imp. Agent story

There you reveal the true stand of the sith empires forces on corellia, which are way too small and it's explained, that because of some power plays between thanaton and zash's former apprentice and between baras and his former apprentice, the troops are being wasted even worse

YES. i loved that part. I'm actually glad that I played my agent after playing several other characters because certain parts make so much more sense if you do. its like agent story puts some of the other stories together.

plus

star Cabal manipulations also explain some of the corruption and setbacks republic side, as well as the extend of empire's not making as much progress as they should. after all - they are trying to eradicate force users and general division on both sides.

Ok, to make it simple, or easier to understand let's count all the resources. I've been playing Empire so I have a better idea for them.

Major Spoilers. Let me know if there is something missing or incorrect.

The Empire

-Destroys Taris

-Has massive infighting and dark council upheaval

-Loses Balmorra

-Gains the Starforge

-Gains the infinite engine (in some form)

-Takes over and then loses Corellia

-Gains Isotope 5

-Death of a lot of traitors to the Emperor, especially when you play as Wrath

-Loses Imperial Intelligence as it is disbanded (could be a win because it is under military control now)

*Basically, the Empire is scattered, but by the end of Makeb a lot of the traitors have been routed, the Emperor is on his way back and they seem to have the superior fire power for the fight ahead.

The Republic

-Kills the Emperor's children.

-Kills the voice of the Emperor.

-Retakes Corellia.

-Wins Balmorra

-Frees Revan (he's probably not dead)

-Gains an advantage on Hoth (Weapons)

-Loses Taris

-Probably loses the Voss as it comes out the Jedi were the influence that changed their planet.

-Frees Makeb (I think, haven't played it yet)

-Kills that Moff guy, forget his name.

*Republic has had the wins, but I think the resources have been spent. They also think they've killed the Emperor, which isn't true.

Ok, to make it simple, or easier to understand let's count all the resources. I've been playing Empire so I have a better idea for them.

Major Spoilers. Let me know if there is something missing or incorrect.

The Empire

-Destroys Taris

-Has massive infighting and dark council upheaval

-Loses Balmorra

-Gains the Starforge

-Gains the infinite engine (in some form)

-Gains Isotope 5

-Death of a lot of traitors to the Emperor, especially when you play as Wrath

-Loses Imperial Intelligence as it is disbanded (could be a win because it is under military control now)

*Basically, the Empire is scattered, but by the end of Makeb a lot of the traitors have been routed, the Emperor is on his way back and they seem to have the superior fire power for the fight ahead.

The Republic

-Kills the Emperor's children.

-Kills the voice of the Emperor.

-Retakes Corellia.

-Wins Balmorra

-Frees Revan (he's probably not dead)

-Gains an advantage on Hoth (Weapons)

-Loses Taris

-Probably loses the Voss as it comes out the Jedi were the influence that changed their planet.

-Frees Makeb (I think, haven't played it yet)

-Kills that Moff guy, forget his name.

*Republic has had the wins, but I think the resources have been spent. They also think they've killed the Emperor, which isn't true.

Not sure if the Voss influence you're referring to is the same, but when I played Voss with my consular the corruption of the Deep Cradle/Dark Heart was caused by a Sith Lord, it was even guarded by a Dashade

Makeb spoiler

Nobody wins Makeb, the hutts mining sets off an irreversable chain of events which blow it to pieces

Edited by AlexDougherty

Not sure if the Voss influence you're referring to is the same, but when I played Voss with my consular the corruption of the Deep Cradle/Dark Heart was caused by a Sith Lord, was even guarded by a Dashade

What he's referring to is a part of the imperial story line, where you uncover who landed on Voss first, seperated the Voss from the Gormak and started the war between them, if I'm not completely mistaken

Makeb spoiler

Nobody wins Makeb, the hutts mining sets off an irreversable chain of events which blow it to pieces

I guess you only played the republic side

as an imperial you stabilize the planets core and save makeb, while you leave the reps and hutts to believe that it blows to pieces :D

I don't know what the reps do, but I will find out this weekend ^^

Edited by Never_Hesitate

Not sure if the Voss influence you're referring to is the same, but when I played Voss with my consular the corruption of the Deep Cradle/Dark Heart was caused by a Sith Lord, it was even guarded by a Dashade

Makeb spoiler

its not irreversible and in fact empire and republic end up working in parallel (but not together) to stabilize the planet core. granted - I haven't finished republic story yet, but at least the whole start of it basically leads up to - you cannot evacuate people in time, so what can we do to stabilize it instead?

for post above me and voss

I think so too - as you DO find ancient jedi ruins with some information on the influence they had and their role in Voss/gormak conflict

Edited by Jeweledleah

Except for the fact that when this information is revealed, they specifically state they will deal with their own problems, try to reunify wit the Gormak and as such remain neutral.

-Gains the Starforge

The foundry, not the starforge (starforge can create space ships, is powered by a star and the dark side of the force), the foundry is a lesser facility. Also note that the Republic knows of its location, so it wouldn't be a stretch to assume that they did something about it. Perhaps destroy it with a fleet, like they did with the starforge.

They never really took it over, since the resistance sprung up immediately, quickly followed by a Republic invasion.

As for the Republic, Makeb is a lost cause, but they did gain reluctant allies in the form of the Hutt Cartel, which I find quite important.

The thing here is that they have the resources to spend, the empire does not. But as you said the Empire gains isotope-5, something that would have made the Hutt Cartel rival the republic in power. So imagine that is enough to turn the tide, or at least hold the republic at bay.

I feel more like it's the Empire fighting the Sith. Half of them are short sighted idiots who can't see further than their arse on a special chair, leaving the rest of us to rot at home and on the front lines.

Yes, I am bitter over Intelligence and I'll everyone on the Dark Council know what I think.

They should just change the name to the Dumb Council .Yeah, the characters are interesting, but in the war context they're absolutely useless.

Except for the fact that when this information is revealed, they specifically state they will deal with their own problems, try to reunify wit the Gormak and as such remain neutral.

The foundry, not the starforge (starforge can create space ships, is powered by a star and the dark side of the force), the foundry is a lesser facility. Also note that the Republic knows of its location, so it wouldn't be a stretch to assume that they did something about it. Perhaps destroy it with a fleet, like they did with the starforge.

They never really took it over, since the resistance sprung up immediately, quickly followed by a Republic invasion.

As for the Republic, Makeb is a lost cause, but they did gain reluctant allies in the form of the Hutt Cartel, which I find quite important.

The thing here is that they have the resources to spend, the empire does not. But as you said the Empire gains isotope-5, something that would have made the Hutt Cartel rival the republic in power. So imagine that is enough to turn the tide, or at least hold the republic at bay.

You're taling semantics here.

The Empire does take over Corellia, have a meeting about it and everything. I know I've been there a few times.

The Voss retreat to deal with their problems, however the Sith have proof it was the Jedi that landed on Voss first, with the Sith following, only to train the Voss in the force, and eventually with the fighting create Sel Makor (sp?) Yes it's neutral, but in a prolonged war, I think the Voss will tip to the Empires favor.

You are correct about the Starforge, it was destroyed by the Rep fleet back in Revan's days. However there is nothing said about the Reps destroying the foundry as far as I know. So foundry/balmorra is probably a wash. Revan was planning on using the foundry to wipe out the Empire, so it is powerful. If anything, it would tilt the droid making capabilities to the Empires favor.

This is all speculation of course.

I honestly completely agree.

Leveling as an Empire player has this huge sense of "Why am I doing this?"

Nearly everything you do will be canonically undone at level 50. Going through Belsavis, Voss, Corellia... or Balmorra, or Alderaan ... it's got this "Why, exactly, am I bothering with this?" feeling once you understand the 'elder game' plotline.

I know the writers may have their meta-level view of where all of this is going, but they're not really thinking about it properly at the level of the player.

We don't see their big plan. All we see is a demoralizing "And everything you did was pointless. Ha ha! You lose!"

The Voss retreat to deal with their problems, however the Sith have proof it was the Jedi that landed on Voss first, with the Sith following, only to train the Voss in the force, and eventually with the fighting create Sel Makor (sp?) Yes it's neutral, but in a prolonged war, I think the Voss will tip to the Empires favor.

That proof would be false, since it was the Jedi that came after the Sith, who enslaved the inhabitants of the planet. It was Jedi that helped them against the Sith, who enslaved them. Though with them becoming force trained, they became the Voss and this sundering of the species and the fighting created Sel-Makor... in whose desctruction the Jedi Knight plays an instrumental role.

So I really don't see Voss siding with the Empire.

Edited by GuruVII

Try playing a Pub. You'll get to save all the same planets from the Imps. Usually in exactly the same quests, in exactly the same places, but with different names over the enemy's heads. Oh, and sometimes in the reverse order too.

Just an FYI, the Foundry is a starforge.

3 star forges. The Foundry, the Starforge from Kotor, and a third we dont know of.

Edit: Malgus took the Starforge when he abandoned the empire. Chances are both the Empire AND republic fleets mobilized to destroy it, ASAP before it became a true threat.

Edited by Selenial