We Need Clarification

Superman_AZ

Except that with HK-51, you could not BUY the unlock. You still have to do the quest chain at least once to unlock him. In this case, the"have to have it now" crowd will just be able to throw money around and completely bypass the unlock requirement.

Yep, things are just getting worse.

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did the whiners of the "have to have it now" crowd ge their wish to be able to completely bypass the unlock requirement because they couldn't be bothered to actually wait and work for this new companion? Yes, they did.

First, they are not whiners any more than the crowd complaining against it. Don't throw stones.

Second, this decision was likely made long before the discussion, so I doubt the discussion had anything to do with the decision to offer it as a Cartel unlock. It has been SOP to do so lately, and this was likely no exception.

I agree it would be nice for subs to get thrown a bone now and again. Bickering over it accomplishes nothing however.

Yep, things are just getting worse.

Which is why people need to vote with their wallets. If BW loses enough revenue from lost subs and the corresponding CM revenue from those subs, maybe the light bulb over their heads will come on.

Which is why people need to vote with their wallets. If BW loses enough revenue from lost subs and the corresponding CM revenue from those subs, maybe the light bulb over their heads will come on.

You don't really think people are going to unsub over this do you?

They are both a I want in now option, honestly... Unless you started the game 1 month ago most of us subs are 40 by defacto... So it is just a matter of do I want to spend real money or fake money. I am willing to bet that the legacy requirement is actually there to get MORE people to buy it off the CM. I am also willing to bet the companion was completely designed and intended for the CM and very likely they threw in the "buy for credits option" AFTER the fact. We will never likely know since we weren't there and they prolly won't tell us. But people complaining that the "I want it now crowd" won, is prolly solely mistaken... Since it was never a contest.

Well, not really.

You can still get to legacy level 40 and get her for free (=not real money).

And why would changing that be a total victory for cartel market users? Would you really be happy with the development team putting an additional companion up for purchase on the Cartel Market only, with no means of getting him/her/it through gameplay?

I was never a proponent for in-game play exclusivity for the new companion (for that matter, I'm morally opposed to having an Ewok running around in a timeline ~3000 years prior to the battle at Yavin.) Having her be available for purchase with cartel coins is a good market strategy and makes her available for new players, and I think that's a good thing.

However, the instant you put a fluff companion exclusively on the Cartel Market, you create a precedent for more actual content to be placed exclusively on the cartel market. What if they eventually increase your companion storyline? They could put that unlock on the cartel market, and you'd have to pay for it piecemeal. I don't like that precedent, or what it could lead to.

A reasonable point, but I think people will discover that most folks are ok with this. The minority, IMO, that want things to return to how they were at launch are being wishful at best. This is how it is likely going to be from now on.

In this new Market model subs do not matter as much as they did in the past. All that matters is revenue. And I would guess, since most folks are probably ok with this (though some may still have concerns) I do not expect to see revenue fall over it.

The lightbulb moment came when the game finally went F2P, added the market and other features folks had asked for in beta. It turns out the traditionalists and original dev staff were wrong. The casuals were right all along.

And I think this game is better for it, though it still needs some work here and there.

If you wish to purchase Treek using Cartel Coins there is no Legacy level requirement. The Legacy level requirement is only if you wish to use credits.

-eric

Thank you very much for the clarification :D You can feel free to have the thread locked if you like. I just needed correct information.

I think the 40 legacy level was just a gate, to make more players buy it through CM instead of earning it in game. How many people actual have legacy 40? It sad, even if I don’t have the legacy level I think there need to be rewards: neat armor, items, or non-combat ability that people can buy off a special vendor. They real should have done it the same way they did HK, earn it once in game then you can buy it.

PS as a casual player I can't say I'm not un-happy as I don't have time to get legacy 40, but I also see the other side and why they might want something for their achievement.

Edited by TheSeer

I don't agree. This is putting one foot half-way over the P2W line. Allowing players to pay a bit of money to get a universal crafting companion instead of having legacy level 40 and spending 1,000,000. I like the CM idea, but I think she should come with no crafting attributes. Make them a legacy global unlock or perk, which costs 1m credits and cannot be bought with CC. You get your money, but the P2W element is eliminated.

If you wish to purchase Treek using Cartel Coins there is no Legacy level requirement. The Legacy level requirement is only if you wish to use credits.

-eric

Thank you for clarifying this. I don't agree with this but it is what it is.

I don't agree. This is putting one foot half-way over the P2W line. Allowing players to pay a bit of money to get a universal crafting companion instead of having legacy level 40 and spending 1,000,000. I like the CM idea, but I think she should come with no crafting attributes. Make them a legacy global unlock or perk, which costs 1m credits and cannot be bought with CC. You get your money, but the P2W element is eliminated.

They've spoken on the matter and clarified the rules surrounding Treek. Fortunately BW/EA is responsible for pleasing its casual players, and not players making choices on their own behalf.

And why would changing that be a total victory for cartel market users? Would you really be happy with the development team putting an additional companion up for purchase on the Cartel Market only, with no means of getting him/her/it through gameplay?

I was never a proponent for in-game play exclusivity for the new companion (for that matter, I'm morally opposed to having an Ewok running around in a timeline ~3000 years prior to the battle at Yavin.) Having her be available for purchase with cartel coins is a good market strategy and makes her available for new players, and I think that's a good thing.

However, the instant you put a fluff companion exclusively on the Cartel Market, you create a precedent for more actual content to be placed exclusively on the cartel market. What if they eventually increase your companion storyline? They could put that unlock on the cartel market, and you'd have to pay for it piecemeal. I don't like that precedent, or what it could lead to.

What just happened? :confused:

I'm sorry, I'm having trouble understanding what you mean and most importantly, if I disagree with you or not :p

Let me repeat what I said:

I don't have a problem with putting an optional companion, that was never a main companion for my character and that doesn't even raise the number of companions you can send on crew skill missions, on the Cartel Market. I have an option to buy her with in-game credits and my level 50 legacy, which has been useless since I reached it.

If they think that optional companions will make them money, by all means, let them use it as a means to get some money.

What I like is options, such as the option to get her without spending cartel coins. Which I have, so I see no problem with it.

I understand some people's frustration with "buying" things instead of earning them from gameplay, but then again people in this forum at some point have said the exact same thing about everything - from XP boosts to CM pets.

I, however, don't care how others like to play the game. And as long as Bioware is not putting actual content in the Cartel Market, without giving me access to it through gameplay, I'm fine with it.

So I'll just let people who can't bother to actually play the game they are paying for, support its economic growth while I benefit (i.e. enjoy it) by its continued existence :)

Hope that clears it up.

Edited by TheNahash

They are both a I want in now option, honestly... Unless you started the game 1 month ago most of us subs are 40 by defacto... So it is just a matter of do I want to spend real money or fake money. I am willing to bet that the legacy requirement is actually there to get MORE people to buy it off the CM. I am also willing to bet the companion was completely designed and intended for the CM and very likely they threw in the "buy for credits option" AFTER the fact. We will never likely know since we weren't there and they prolly won't tell us. But people complaining that the "I want it now crowd" won, is prolly solely mistaken... Since it was never a contest.

I know that, and you know that. Hopefully more of the people insulting us figure it out. I said, in another thread, that this companion was intended for the CM and had the Legacy option added afterwards. You are correct. This companion is designed to encourage people to use CC to unlock her.

Still need to pay credits after reaching Legacy Level 40, But that is irrelevant to me since I already have Legacy Level 50 and would much rather spend my credits on other stuff.

So if you don't have enough credits you can spend CC to get it! So clever... Anything is good to make money with EAware. If at least there was a quest line...

I'm still waiting for the /kill button for 500CC to get rid of those "stupid" raids, so I can have the loot easily. Because you know, I don't have time to play! Only thing I can do is running around the fleet yelling I'm a fanboy spending all my money on CM! :rak_02:

I'm surprised it doesn't exist yet.

So if you don't have enough credits you can spend CC to get it! So clever... Anything is good to make money with EAware. If at least there was a quest line...

I'm still waiting for the /kill button for 500CC to get rid of those "stupid" raids, so I can have the loot easily. Because you know, I don't have time to play! Only thing I can do is running around the fleet yelling I'm a fanboy spending all my money on CM! :rak_02:

You are blowing this out of proportion. You don't honestly think they're going to put a OHKO Button for raid on the Cartel Market.

You're confusing Convenience with Lazy.

That seems a bit over the top for satire, but I would likely be bitter too had the decision gone the other direction. Guess this just goes to show you can't please all the people all the time, so just focus on those of us who are willing to pay :D

You are blowing this out of proportion. You don't honestly think they're going to put a OHKO Button for raid on the Cartel Market.

You're confusing Convenience with Lazy.

No, many are trying to justify lazy, by using convenience as an excuse.

Personally, I think the only elitist around here is you. You are the only one with an attitude. There is a difference between arguing the discussion and slandering the players that have a different opinion. You don't need to rub it in peoples faces like this. The elitist here is you and not the posters around you. Sadly, you will never see that. You may think its great to buy everything you want. You have no idea how bad a game would become if you were to be able to.

I'm sure that advice would go well with those calling us "lazy" and "have to have it now". Those looking down their noses at us because we didn't "earn" it, or have to put in hundreds of hours of gameplay to qualify for a PET of all things. I've done my best to not brag, but the bitter-brigade, being led by a certain person who has butted heads with me, in more than one thread, continues to push and push. I will gladly back down and apologize to anyone I may have offended... except him.

Edited by Superman_AZ

I'm sure that advice would go well with those calling us "lazy" and "have to have it now". Those looking down their noses at us because we didn't "earn" it, or have to put in hundreds of hours of gameplay to qualify for a PET of all things. I've done my best to not brag, but the bitter-brigade, being led by a certain person who has butted heads with me, in more than one thread, continues to push and push. I will gladly back down and apologize to anyone I may have offended... except him.

Well TBH.... "have to have it now" is pretty spot on. Even you have to admit that. Lazy I don't agree with. Some people simply don't have time. 2 wrongs don't make a right. If more people argued the merits of the opinions, instead of getting personal, a better community we would have.

Well TBH.... "have to have it now" is pretty spot on. Even you have to admit that. Lazy I don't agree with. Some people simply don't have time. 2 wrongs don't make a right. If more people argued the merits of the opinions, instead of getting personal, a better community we would have.

Everyone wants it "right now". No one ever just says, "Sure. I can wait a year and be ok with that." I agree that two wrongs don't make a right, and I would be at fault on more than one occasion. I get a little defensive when provoked with insults.

In every thread, prior to the mud slinging, my platform had ALWAYS been "I just want more options for all players. We need to stop limiting each others options and support each other as gamers. It should not matter HOW we do it, as long as we have the opportunity to do it." I was hoping to convince others with that stance, but it seemed all they wanted to do was call me names and spit in my face. So, this new information from BW/EA is like a bee-sting for some of them... and it shouldn't be, because it has NO IMPACT on their gameplay.

Edited by Superman_AZ

If they dont have time, thats their problem

"I dont have enough time to get to level 55, can I use CC to get there?"

^ see how ridiculous that sounds?