New Subber - Holy Trinity Concerns

wolveen

How did you clear content with only healers?

Did you just bore everything to death? ;)

In CoH "healers" were force multipliers. The strongest teams consisted primarily of buff/debuff characters. In short, even though they had low damage on their own, once you got 4+ of them together all improving each other, they could have better DPS than a team that included actual DPS toons and enough survivability to stomp even the hardest of enemies.

That said, the base game was easy enough that no one ever felt like you had to bring that kind of optimal team and in the end most teams ended up following the trinity anyway.

I generally prefer having a role, but at the same time loathe being forced into it. I have an odd relationship with the trinity, preferring it and yet feeling trapped by it.

Most of the content does not require the trinity. Really it is only Hard Modes and Ops that require it (and you can get away with a companion on most Hard Modes).

Edited by StratoNexus

I know you all talking about Stats here, But The main consideration I believe The OP is making, is The Utter Rudeness and contempt to new members of a group, who may be still finding there feet In group Play.

Yep!

The game told me to join a Flashpoint mission which I did, first time.

It instructed that you click on the icon on near your map and queue up, that was it, that is what I did.

First time group .. bam..vote kicked. Didn't even know what the heck was going on.

I do now but yes it was very frustrating. I guess I have more manners/patience for other new players, new people, new employees, etc.

Most of the content does not require the trinity. Really it is only Hard Modes and Ops that require it (and you can get away with a companion on most Hard Modes).

This is good to hear, paying $155 for a game that you would be locked out of and would not be able experience all the content would be a waste because of poor mechanics. I would just leave it F2P.

I re-created my character over on the RP server hoping it is more 'mature' and helpful on that side. The good and bad is that I have to start all over again but so far it seems like a good decision. I may just have to purchase a month of sub to get a better feel of the game.

I do like it so far but I am still low level :)

This is good to hear, paying $155 for a game that you would be locked out of and would not be able experience all the content would be a waste because of poor mechanics. I would just leave it F2P.

I re-created my character over on the RP server hoping it is more 'mature' and helpful on that side. The good and bad is that I have to start all over again but so far it seems like a good decision. I may just have to purchase a month of sub to get a better feel of the game.

I do like it so far but I am still low level :)

note second part of his sentence. even on more mature RP server, (note that people might 'role play' dark side jerks) you will still be left out of group if they need healer and you are dps, and replace you with companion or a healer.

you were never excluded from any content. you could still que as dps or respec (and learn) healing. for everything Heroic (over level 25) you need heals as mobs do hit. not hard, but unless you have 2 dps with 2 dps companions, good geared and on heroic 2 area where you can actually down mobs before they kill you, which is not the case for most heroic 4 (even on second planet H4 needs a healer, either companion or dedicated player).

So don't expect anything more, just because you changed server.

I'm not rude, just want to avoid some false expectations on your side.

ofcourse guys were wrong with kicking you out with no explanation, they should tell you they need healer and explain your mistake.

Its very much, sometimes a steep learning curve, in MROG's when you join almost any group ,even warzone's as a new player/

I January, went into my first WarZone, And was amazed that were ,Not one, But quite a few rotating scenarios, and I had no idea How to go about playing them, I well remember First time, I went into the Warzone that you were supposed to Hold a Turret to fire on the enemy Ship, and vice versa.

When It started, everyone had gone, But, I was still there, thinking, why Can't I jump down into the arena, it was when I clicked a speeder nearby by accident, that I realized, you had to use this to fly into the battle zone.

A small Notice above the speeders saying "use this / It / Fly this to enter the battle", is not that hard to place is it?

I tried nearly every zone to get a feel of how they work for a whole 12 hours, so in a short time, I was playing like a pro, and I do love the warzones,because the skill of either side, is always differant, you never really know how your side is going to fare.

Since then, My New lvl 50 master has taken me into these as a group, (just us two) and it surely shows, thats it who you know sometimes. Under His guidance, I will be learning about flashpoint play in the near future.

But on the question of mods, that I have not understood, I do now, and, I eat my words on my comments about them, last night, My master took me into a Catina in tatooine, where upon he gave me about 40 differant items, all chips, strange looking things which were called enhancements.

The following is for newcomers to understand, so seasoned players,please bare with me.

Ok. It seems that you don't always have to be near a modification station to upgrade your gear, Which I thought you did.

I will take My Recon Carbine weapon as an example: Sorry this is a little off topic, But wanted to put the record straight, that Modifications do have an overwhelming affect on your abilities.

Ok, We started by Right clicking the Cartel Trooper rifle I had been given, I was with equipped with the Recon Carbine.

After right clicking this on inventory it opens a window on the right with the weapon, but it aslo shows slots that are empty. When you roll a mouse over that slot, if you have the item needed, (say a barrel) In your inventory it go highlighted, right click that mod, and it go into the slot in the window opposite as an extra fitting, After that came Another item, which I put into second slot open. The last one, because its a weapon has a crystal, This I was told to replace that for the better purple one, that I had already been given.

Before clicking apply , my master said to roll my mouse over the modded weapon that I was now going to equip, well, you could have knocked me down with a feather, The increase in stats was Mind boggling, :eek: Well they were for me.:p

The results very roughly were.

damage +300

Aim +80

Endurance +100

Cunning +80

Critical rating +60

These is are only a rough stats, because I didn't get much time to take it in, as we had another 7 items to mod, using the same method. All i know is the items used Were cartel Items, which were stated as open, I still have much to learn, But was lucky enough to have a Mentor to spend the time and effort, on how to modify your armour and weapons. It seems this Mk1 augmentation thing is not really necessary until I reach a much higher level.

Its not meant to be a comprehensive guide on upgrading your items, just, If I can learn how to Modify and attach the parts, then so can anybody else. Some extra parts we needed came from a commendation mod Vendor, as I had 40 commendations in my currency tab of my inventory.

Again sorry If this reply is not Holy trinity related, but thought it important, that newcomers should try to get an understanding of basics of modding your stuff, and I for one is extremely grateful to Spoe-Master For his guidance and patience:)

I understand where you're coming from. Personally I'm too used to the "holy trinity" model and found GW2 to be absolutely weird and unplayable. However, in this game that's generally how a successful group operates. But, depending on how you specialize your character, you should fall into whichever role just fine. Open your mind a little bit and enjoy, SWTOR is awesome!

When It started, everyone had gone, But, I was still there, thinking, why Can't I jump down into the arena, it was when I clicked a speeder nearby by accident, that I realized, you had to use this to fly into the battle zone.

A small Notice above the speeders saying "use this / It / Fly this to enter the battle", is not that hard to place is it?

Very right. It's this mentelaty of "very fast forgetting" that you were once a beginner, too.

Both in RL ans within games, too.

And the other mentality is that of "oh, but everybody knows this !" - Without actual telling !

Archaeologists and Historians have the problem that in some ancient Roman books we find this mentality of "everybody knows it", too - with the result of knowledge THEY once knew, missing today. Because literally no-one actually wrote it down ! So now Archaeologists and Historians have to bnowadays GUESS at what "they once knew". Because no-one wrote it down because everybody knew it.

Play a few Adventure games. What the designers believe is logical is sometimes not the same as what players believe is logical - especially regarding riddles.

And Bioware NEVER did an Adventure game ...

AlrikFassbauer,

Well I am glad you thought that comment not a daft one:)

But, as you say, and I found, From a Newbie Entering A Warzone for the first time, With A lot to take in 60secs before it starts, I just had to learn A curve that was literately 45%:D

Ok steep learning curves are sometimes a good way to pick yourself and concentrate on the job at hand, even if you c**** it up a few times.

Its strange , that many games both PC and stand alone ones, have and still do, put beginners through a Boot camp, But here, no such thing.

One I landed At Ord Mantell in January as "fresh meat", I found the Help ? mark window totally useless, because its very limited to what questions it will actually even respond too, I used the map icons, some other pointers in-World plus printed basic things I needed to know, from websites.

having said that, I was lucky in a way, That I migrated from WoW Which I played for a year or two way back, so a lot of the interface, how you pick up, slots, cargo ,inventory, was very similar, & this lead to me being comfortable, with being a newbie. Complete newcomers with no experience In WoW, I would have thought many, thought ,"What the hell do I do here or how".

Ths is why I often Go back to Ord mantel and Coroscant, (my jedi to Tython) to help new players at times, & I often have to back to these places to pick up Bio Goo, which I don't seem to find on the Higher level planets after Taris.

Maybe, in time. the Devs will put a better Newbie introduction Boot camp in place.

I am level 34 trooper vanguard now, My heals have started to get better in warzones, But TBH, I dont really know,if I start Flashpoints, What I class myself as, although the middle skill tree is most loaded in keeping with what My master said I should be Upgrading?

I got lucky when I first started playing. swtor is my first mmo so I had basically no idea. I got into a FP as a marauder (DPS) with another Mara, and a tank and healer. The healer led the group and explained to me exactly how everything would flow. He would say stuff like "focus fire on the flame, then the yellow reticle, and don't touch the purple gear. He's gonna be cc'ed. No aoe attacks until he's the last one left" and the FP flowed so wonderfully. I fell in love with the idea of battle roles and researched everything I could about group combat. That was 3 months ago and now when I join a group via gf, I often even get complimented on my healing and tanking skills. feelsgoodman.jpg

Unfortunately, not everyone has such a nice experience.

Edited by tgokovenant