Warzones Unbearable on Harbinger

oldninja

I'd like to start off by saying that I'm a subscriber, and have been since the beginning, but I harbor no ill will against non-subscribers - I think you guys are great, and it's thrilling to see the servers so populated. I'm not really sure what the rules are when it comes to ftp players and warzones, though. Anyway:

I'd like to think that I put a decent amount of time into playing swtor. I have mostly basic PvE gear, and some decent PvP gear. I play exclusively on the Harbinger server. My only 55 character is a Sentinel. Since I learned about Bioware's new "PvE is PvP" philosophy, I pretty much just use the basic gear when playing warzones. Overall, I think the zones themselves are well designed - cool concepts, good atmosphere, etc. The problem I've had with PvP play right from the start, however, is twofold: (1) I seem to get cc'd by Imperial players constantly, resulting in near-instadeath for the majority of my PvP play, and (2) most Imperials can kill me in a few hits regardless of cc abilities, while I can do little to no damage to them due to some magic shields they have (this applies to almost all of them).

The result of this (and I see it happening to other Republic players as well) is a highly mismatched Warzone experience. Imperial players tend to dominate the field by themselves, let alone in a team - just today I saw a sith player in the huttball zone ignore damage from 5 or 6 other players and make a score, maintaining a nearly constant health level. This has soured my taste for PvP play, as well as for Imperial characters in general (my own included - playing as an Imp just feels cheap now, and I haven't done it in months).

Maybe I keep getting matched up against pre-made teams. Maybe I keep getting matched up against players who do nothing but play PvP (if so, that's kind of sad). Maybe I'm doing something wrong, or maybe the Sentinel is just a terrible PvP class. It doesn't matter. It doesn't take a genius to tell the PvP experience (at least on Harbinger) is highly uneven, and from some of the reading I've done, this holds across more than one server. This is very disappointing, and has made me consider on more than one occasion revoking my status as a subscriber.

There needs to be a separate bracket for pre-made teams. The queue needs to match people up according to effectiveness in PvP, rather than randomly. ME3 has a good system, in my opinion - maybe take a leaf out of their book? And to any players who are considering telling me that "the classes are mirrored, so it's even" - I'm calling your bulldung (you know the word I really mean). I have one interrupt, one cc, and one cc break ability. All prove useless in PvP, and I certainly don't have a shield of any kind.

Hmmm... It's possible that Sith was me (Darth Maher - Immortal spec'd Juggernaut). If so, that was one of the most unbalanced huttball winning experiences I've ever had against a republic team and no the imp team wasn't a premade. In my experience on this server, the Republic usual fields better teams in unranked warzones (always have multiple healers, usual a tank, a stealther, etc). Everyone's warzone experience is highly at the mercy of the queuing system. Sometimes you get teamed up with a bunch of terrible players that ignore the objectives against a highly effective pre-made and sometimes the match-up is very even. If you find yourself on an unlucky streak, then it's best to take a break and try again later (or team up with players you know are decent).

I'd also suggest trying different classes to learn what their strengths and weaknesses are. If you're curious about how that Sith Juggernaut (I'm assuming it was a jug) soaked up so much damage, then role one (or a Jedi Guardian) and try out the tanking tree. You'll quickly realize how they do it and also what to do to counter them.

Bla bla bla HUGEWALL OF TEXT, or maybe the Sentinel is just a terrible PvP class. I

LOL.

Talking seriously, sentinel is one of the goodest PvP classes so far :p Maybe lacks of knockbacks, that in certain situations are really useful, but you have awesome defensive CD and good/sustained DPS.

First of All, pug vs premade, there is no game, unless pugs knows what to do and they can perform really well with their class.

Anyway, watch some video on youtube, consults forum and try always different things in PvP. Remember that you can't solo Win a WZ (unless you're an Assassin/Shadow, trololol) it's always a teamwork :) and try to care about objective than DPS/Big Numberz at the end of the scoreboard :)

being from the same server, I can say the consensus is that pubs are better in the morning, imps in the evening.

also, if you are having trouble, you can go watch youtube vids or twitch feeds of sentinels to see if they are doing things you are not, if so, that might help.

Some one died in pvp again?

Sorry i couldnt help it but yea pre-made vs pugs is not good for the soul. What i have noticed with instanced pvp (warzones, battlegrounds, scenarios) is that the tide always changes. To you it seems Empire is winning every match and that my be the case, but hang in ther next week it will be Republic opening a can of whoopass.

Pvp sentinels must use the focus tree spec. Watchman is beyond terrible for pvp. I learned this the hard way and quit playing my sentinel (first 50) for a long time. With focus, you get two leaps, which are invaluable for getting on top of your opponent. Read the focus tree descriptions and you will see that it makes heavy use of the "smash" ability (can't remember what it is called). Go read up on the sentinel class forums for more details. It helped my sentinel go from least favorite pvp class to a blast to play. It was just a matter of understanding how to use it.

Some people, like me, are overall not that good at melee pvp. I'm not saying that's you (I don't know you), just throwing it out there. For this reason, I rolled a sage and it has become my favorite. Definitely try out a tank class to get a better idea of what they can do and how to counter them.

I play almost exclusively republic pvp on the harbinger and I think my win percentage is near 50%. Sometime, we get destroyed, but there are plenty of times that we do the destroying.

EDIT: You have two CC: stasis and the other stun one (I'm terrible at remembering the names). If things are looking bad, use your force camouflage and bail. Also, you have an awesome ability that will consume 50% of current health and grant 99% damage reduction for 6 seconds (or something like that). Use that ability when you have about 10% health remaining. That way, you don't really lose much, but you gain near invincibility for 6 seconds. Also, make sure that you have, if nothing else, dispatch and saber throw hotkeyed. Use them often.

I do agree that stuns/control/etc. are a little over the top. There are times when it seems like I am nothing but stunned/slowed. But anyway, it's not all bad.

Edited by teclado

And to any players who are considering telling me that "the classes are mirrored, so it's even" - I'm calling your bulldung (you know the word I really mean). I have one interrupt, one cc, and one cc break ability. All prove useless in PvP, and I certainly don't have a shield of any kind.

You have 2 interrupts: one is attached to your force leap, you have a 3 second channelled stun, a 6 seconds mez, a root attached to force leap and obliterate if focus tree, you have 2 extra roots in combat tree, you have 2 slows(3 if watchmen spec), you have access to grenades which is another 5 second mez. Yes you have one cc break, you also have a root break in focus and a root break in combat which is pretty boss.

Not aure what you mean by shield but you have 4 kind of. Rebuke, saber ward, guarded by the force and force camo. They will shield ya pretty good.

Think I got everything.

You sound like a player who blames everything and everyone one other than himself. I have given you a mini lesson, take a look at ALL of your abilities next time you log on not just the pretty ones.

Tom Brady!

Edited by daveyggg

being from the same server, I can say the consensus is that pubs are better in the morning, imps in the evening.

That's been my experience, as well. Need to get my Operative to 55 so I can win more at night, lol.

I'm on the harbinger as well, and I will agree that Rep side pvp is horrible. But I'm curious, do you mind sharing your character's name if different than your screen name? Are you one of the regular faces in the WZs that has the potential to sway a game in their faction's favor?

- Jolly

Edited by Sowwy

There are times I get CCed until dead, normally by an operative. I am thinking mostly of my Sage here, but she's not 55. I pretty much only die though if I hadn't pre-cast bubble and rejeuv, something I do constantly when guarding a node, but forget to go when I am frantically trying to keep teammates alive. Still, when you get focused, you die, no matter the class.

I really wish I could see my own resolve bar though, because between lightning stuns, roots and other such stuff, I feel sometimes like I don't have one at all.

My knockback constantly fails to knockback warriors that have lept in despite the fact I get it off before they can slam.

Nevertheless, I really enjoy pvp, even when on a really crap team.

I did leave a warzone for the first time ever last night on my Shadow. I called for focus fire before the match, and in the very first fight at the door I was the first one too, so I picked the target, and he's not dying, I look around, and there are 4 imps getting targeted by our 6 guys. So, I switch to the lowest health, but of course I just left the healer, I tried to CC him, but the moment I lifted him, he either burned his release or was hit by an AoE, so low slash, but that only keeps him out 4 seconds.

I am on Harbinger as well, and if you let the average game disappoint you, you will hate PvP. If you instead glory in the 1 in 10 matches where your team cooperates, and uses focus fire, interrupts and smart CC, then you will be happy.

I am on Harbinger as well, and if you let the average game disappoint you, you will hate PvP. If you instead glory in the 1 in 10 matches where your team cooperates, and uses focus fire, interrupts and smart CC, then you will be happy.

I agree. I had a hypergate match last night in which our team almost entirely consisted of sages and commandos. Before the match even started, one of our guys mentioned this fact and promptly vacated. Undeterred, we pressed on with seven for the start of the match (an 8th replacement joined a minute later). With about 45 seconds left on the first timer, I saw 4 imps rushing toward the pylon that I was guarding, so I called for help. No help came (everybody was deathmatching @ middle) and they took both pylons. As I re-spawned, I could do nothing but watch the last few seconds tick away. I was pretty miffed that no help came. I considered leaving (I almost never do), but I told myself that I am not a quitter, so I stayed. We ended up winning that match 728 -724. Even if I have to have 10 complete fail matches for just one of those awesome come-back victories, it's worth it. :D

[most Imperials can kill me in a few hits regardless of cc abilities, while I can do little to no damage to them due to some magic shields they have (this applies to almost all of them).

QUOTE]

Emps and pub classes are mirrors for the most part, they are just using their skills better...there is no magic shield allowing them to win. I'm not saying this to be rude but you just need to take some time and learn to really play your class. Focus sents are pretty devastating when played correctly. Secondly, key bind and practice a rotation...it will help you get stuff off faster (pvp is about burst so if your not first, your last). Lots will tell you to make macros but I wont since that's against the ELUA and therefore cheating. Sents are not the easiest class to pvp but they have lots of stuff that make them shine (mulitiple leaps, lifts, snares, sprints, camo, ae mez)

Hope this helps you

I love when people that don't normally pvp come into pvp and whine when they don't win. Us "sad folk" that only pvp are not there to hold hands and brush your hair for you. Pvp warzones are our end game. We enjoy it and we spend countless hours playing, learning every move and counter move, and min-maxing every socket of gear. You don't want to loose don't queue. It's just like a pick-up game at the basketball court you never know who you're going to get... win some loose a lot that's the nature of the beast... You would be best servered doing some dailies.

lolwut

Bolster just makes it so you don't get one-shot. Buy some gear.

I checked my stats - my PvP damage reduction/heals/damage dealt are higher with the basic gear than with the PvP gear.

I'm on the harbinger as well, and I will agree that Rep side pvp is horrible. But I'm curious, do you mind sharing your character's name if different than your screen name? Are you one of the regular faces in the WZs that has the potential to sway a game in their faction's favor?

- Jolly

My sentinel is Zhar-kahn. I'm probably not one of the ones who can truly sway the match, as I only play a couple PvP matches most days (usually enough to knock out one of the PvP dailies). Still, I do try - I tend to focus on the objectives as much as possible, and help when I see a weak spot in my team. Nevertheless, it feels hopeless most of the time.

Overall, I think the zones themselves are well designed - cool concepts, good atmosphere, etc.

Woohoo, finally a post that posits the good part(s) of SWTOR PvP. I agree and thanks for posting, man!

Edited by Genttry

Last night imps were insane on Harbinger. I played 6 matches on my commando and even if we had good synergy it just seemed like the luck was with the imps; no premades or nothing they just played better. People started quitting in droves, one our NC teams got to 4 on 8. we couldn't do anything since they were killing the 4 of us out of the gate.

Then I switched to my Sorc for her dailies; still no premades and hardly any communication but the stars just aligned for the imps. Everybody was demolishing things left and right.

I ended up on a few Lightning heavy sorcerer teams. It was just a mess of lightning storms all over the map, sometimes 3-4 at a time all around a ACW turret. There was nowhere to run, it was glorious.

I don't know if any one faction is truly better on the server usually wins swing both ways. But last night I think reps just gave up and switched to their alts on the imp side making it even worse.

I am from this server as well. I PvP quite a bit. I find that it is usually one or two people who screw things for the others most of the time. In nc we have 2 guarding and they don't notice the stealth that snuck in behind them and capped the node with them standing right there. I have seen this happen a lot. Also pubs only seem to call for help after they have died. There are exceptions but that send about standard practice for pubs.

I think this goes for both sides, if you can't break 300k damage in a full length void star, please go read up on your class.

I'm not the best pvper who can carry a team, but I know my role and I do it better than most. I've done some ranked. I've done plenty of regs. Things sway both ways. Just keep your chin up. Play to have fun. Even if we don't win, I don't get upset like I used to. Just go with it and maybe you will get a better team next time.

Also, that guy who had the ball that you and 6 others were wailing on was probably tank specd with 2 healers behind him. Got to have people n those healers too!

I was in some awesome matches the other day. Before the match started I asked the group to attack whoever has ascertain symbol over them. I was marking my target that symbol and we burned through the people so fast. It was nice to see that cooperation.

Keep your chins up pubs. Keep trying to improve on an individual basis. Analyze what you could have done different. And adjust. Don't get prissy if someone offers a suggestion.

Two simple yet profound fixes that would improve non-ranked warzones

1. Allow teams of 4 in Ranked Warzones, this would create a whole new kind of dynamic where premade guilds would often have to work together to defeat a similar dual premade or a full 8 man premade.

2. Have a max cap on comms for premades in non-ranked warzones. Meaning that if they completed their daily and weekly no more commendations can be farmed from pugstomping. They would instead only be able to get comms (ranked) from ranked warzones.