My Idea that I haven't seen in other games.

Skyhigh

I think it'd be sweet if on the fleets there was a section like the sports books in Vegas where there were some big boards and you could bet on and watch some WZ's. Maybe an upgrade to make the Collector's edition people not feel ripped off like we were. I.E. Collector's Edition vendor :( Access to it Up top on fleet or somewhere thereabouts. Free access for upgraded sub payers and NO cartel access cards/f2p. Strictly sub fun. I don't know how difficult that would be to implement but what other game has that?? I think it would be fun and attractive to get new people to play and stay subbed. An interesting way to make ingame credits for those that don't like PvE. Thoughts?:)

Sounds fun, though I'm not sure how to implement the "live view" though. Maybe a huge map of the WZ showing controlled nodes and classmarkers for the various players or something? Maybe add a red circle or blue circle around the classmarkers to better tell the teams apart as well.

Oh, and if it's data from an actual WZ being played, I'd actually suggest it to have a 20-30 second delay as well, so "viewers" in the bookie office (actually, make it a cantina!) can't spoil too much usefull information to friends within the warzone through instant messages, voice chat, etc. So by the time the audience sees an operative hiding at an enemy node, that information should already be outdated (or not, but they wouldn't know for another 20 seconds!).

Sounds fun, though I'm not sure how to implement the "live view" though. Maybe a huge map of the WZ showing controlled nodes and classmarkers for the various players or something? Maybe add a red circle or blue circle around the classmarkers to better tell the teams apart as well.

Oh, and if it's data from an actual WZ being played, I'd actually suggest it to have a 20-30 second delay as well, so "viewers" in the bookie office (actually, make it a cantina!) can't spoil too much usefull information to friends within the warzone through instant messages, voice chat, etc. So by the time the audience sees an operative hiding at an enemy node, that information should already be outdated (or not, but they wouldn't know for another 20 seconds!).

It's not impossible to do a live view. It may not be "easy" but what's the point in developing a video game if you don't want it to be great or top notch over others right? I would suggest it being a rated live view and the teams actually fighting get a bonus for being the feature. There are many things that can be suggested to improve the idea. But that last thing I envision is simplifying. Instead of people just standing on the fleet b.s.ing politics make the chatter about the game....get people involved. In my head I see on large main screen and smaller node screens and a numbers board with the names. Bet taking NPC's that give you 2 mins before a match to place your wager without refund...offer better payouts for lower rated wins.

People have suggested being able to have a spectator mode for WZ and OPs (And I saw it in WoW too, they even slightly implemented it), though this is a new take on the idea.

I actually prefer your idea if it can be done well, because it keeps the fleet active and shows signs of life. Would probably get ignored fast though and be a lot of work for not much reward unfortunately.

People have suggested being able to have a spectator mode for WZ and OPs (And I saw it in WoW too, they even slightly implemented it), though this is a new take on the idea.

I actually prefer your idea if it can be done well, because it keeps the fleet active and shows signs of life. Would probably get ignored fast though and be a lot of work for not much reward unfortunately.

I wouldnt be so sure on that. People love spectator sports and if you can bet on teams I think that would make it very active. Implement a camera (or even randomly jack into other people's field of view) and it wouldnt hit on lag so much... I wouldnt think. Since you are not actually physically there, you would just be receiving a feed of the match. If it is broadcast on a big screen in a cantina (with maybe a clickable option to go full screen) you would only be adding one extra "player" or 2 or three depending on the overview cameras they add.

Take a look at "The Secret World" (dunno if it is in any other game, as this was the first I saw it in) and when you die in a dungeon you rez up and then get an "camera" button. This lets you generally pick from 4 or 5 stationary cameras on the edges of the area that track individual players on the field. Something like this would work, but I still think, grabbing peoples FOV's would also be cool, just remove the HUD and bam you don't have a ton of information, nor would you be invading someones "privacy" for their actual screen view.

Personally I think its a cool idea, and one which fits within the realm of star wars anyway since gambling is a big part of the lore.

I think it'd be sweet if on the fleets there was a section like the sports books in Vegas where there were some big boards and you could bet on and watch some WZ's. Maybe an upgrade to make the Collector's edition people not feel ripped off like we were. I.E. Collector's Edition vendor :( Access to it Up top on fleet or somewhere thereabouts. Free access for upgraded sub payers and NO cartel access cards/f2p. Strictly sub fun. I don't know how difficult that would be to implement but what other game has that?? I think it would be fun and attractive to get new people to play and stay subbed. An interesting way to make ingame credits for those that don't like PvE. Thoughts?:)

Those would be rather boring and pointless bets. Just bet on the pre-made group, and you'd have a rather high chance to win. Problem is everybody would bet on the pre-mades since they typically have voice chat, and decent team work.

Those would be rather boring and pointless bets. Just bet on the pre-made group, and you'd have a rather high chance to win. Problem is everybody would bet on the pre-mades since they typically have voice chat, and decent team work.

How about betting on ranked then?

Such things could be worked into the calculations, and mimic those payout rates bookies use.

Another way would be to make it a pool with a fixed bet value, like 100cr. The game puts 50cr into the pool, each player wanting to make a bet pays 100cr, payout is 90% of the pot, shared evenly between the winners, the other 10% goes back to the game.

So let's say, only 1 player plays, that makes 150cr in the pot. If he wins, he gets 135cr, 15cr tax to the game.

When there's 10 players, evenly divided in bets, that would make 1050cr in the pot. 945cr divided between 5 winners = 189cr each, 105cr tax to the game. When a lot of people bet on the same team, you could end up winning the bet and still loosing credits. But hey, I'm not the one making stupid bets. And it can only remain fun if the bets are relatively small anyway.

To keep it interesting have the matches based on tournaments, and betting on that.

If its a random match then its just watching some action or highlights of combat, which would add some life... but to keep it interesting it should be live stream of games from tournies.

I wouldnt be so sure on that. People love spectator sports and if you can bet on teams I think that would make it very active.

PvP games are hardly spectator sports though, and you really think people will want to log on and sit on the fleet watching other people play the game? That is like taking a TV down the park and putting that in the goalmouth while everyone sits around and watches the football.

It would be a very interesting feature, for 1 match, and then people would move on and forget it, or more likely come here and complain about a lack of content.

PvP games are hardly spectator sports though, and you really think people will want to log on and sit on the fleet watching other people play the game? That is like taking a TV down the park and putting that in the goalmouth while everyone sits around and watches the football.

Why not? They already just sit on the fleet already..might as well give them something to do. I like the idea and I think it would be great, kind of like watching any other sport...but it brings to mind of the Colosseum from the Roman Empire era.

Edited by Sinnfein_Winters

Why not? They already just sit on the fleet already..might as well give them something to do. I like the idea and I think it would be great, kind of like watching any other sport...but it brings to mind of the Colosseum from the Roman Empire era.

If it was as easy as switching on a TV for them to watch it would be a good idea (It is a good idea), but the effort it would take to implement this in no way justifies the gain from it (It is not a practical idea).

When asking for new content that is significantly different to existing content (IE: Very hard to make) you need to ask yourself:

• Will this bring a lot of new people to the game?
  • Would this stop someone from getting bored and quitting?

And the answer to both those is: no.

When asking for new content that is significantly different to existing content (IE: Very hard to make) you need to ask yourself:

That I do agree with, I don't think it would be easy at all or even feasible to implement, but would be awesome.

If it was as easy as switching on a TV for them to watch it would be a good idea (It is a good idea), but the effort it would take to implement this in no way justifies the gain from it (It is not a practical idea).

I actually think the answer to both of those is yes.

Anyway, this idea has already been addressed by the guy whose thread I have linked in my signature, except he used Huttball as an example.

I'm all for it. Maybe this way those holonet, or holovid (or whatever they're called!) things on fleet would actually be given some use.

• 7 months later...

This would actually be simple to implement, you wouldn't need live feeds, just a board allowing matches with players names and stats next to them. You could have various betting areas, such as betting on player that will get the most kills, highest heals, most threat, winning team, and possibly score ranges. While the idea is a good one and would allow for some gambling, this would most likely not bring more people to the game as suggested in another post.

I wouldn't mind if I wasn't able to see the match but had whatever result mailed back to me (with my winnings if applicable).

It could of started off very basic with a mission giver, giving you a list of WZ's that are currently starting up (example the 1 Min 30 Seconds before the game starts and people load in). You could chose a few if you had the creds.

Live views could get complicated if it were like a live hub, due to the amount of WZ's in action at one time being variable. But you could still 'Holocall' in to the match, surely.

you do realize the opportunity to abuse this would be HUGE. A Pre-made gets in and has a 15:1 or larger odds against random pug mainly due to the number of "bets" on the pre-made (which is how odds are done based on number of bets etc). Now guild seeing their team is a 15:1 favorite goes in and bets against themselves (or someone bet for them). At which point they go in and throw the game due to "accidental" DC etc. and take their profits and keep going.

Watching matches would be one thing, actively betting on them MASSIVELY prone to abuse.