[Guide] The Jedi Shadow's Handbook

AstralFire

This is only a problem if you are the primary threat generator --> solo PVE. However, if you have a tank (either a companion like Qyzen or an actual player), they can generate the threat while you backstab the crap out of the enemy.

*Standard disclaimer: Only use Shadow Strike when Circling Shadows is up*

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey there. wanna ask you a question... what amount of surge, crit, power and other stats do you have in PVE infiltration spec ? i tried a lot of changes with my mods, but i think i've lost the most balanced amount. your recommendations ?

p.s. sorry if this question was asked before :p

Hey guy's, I just started a Shadow up and was doing a bit of research on here.

The OP suggests 2 build's, 5/33/3 and 2/31/8....my question is as someone who has just started is which Infiltration build will give me the most dps out of the two?

Or is there a Hybrid build as well that may be an alternative?

Infiltration is the spec I'am going to run with unless theres an argument not to, Balance apparently has more dps but it harder to play from what I can see reading info from this thread.

Thanks for any help steering me down the right path.

Edited by Rodstorm

Hey everybody!

We apologize over any confusion that has arisen over the recent chance to un-sticky this thread. Last week we contacted AstralFire in regards to this thread and the Jedi Sage's Handbook as both hadn't been updated in awhile, but we have yet to receive a response.

Should somebody wish to create their own guide with updated info, and be able to maintain it as necessary, that would be fantastic. Just please note that we ask that all guides be as up-to-date as possible.

Thanks!

I plan on attempting this today. Thank you for the update.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, I've just about hit 50 and have leveled as Infiltration pve the whole way.

Having a clothy melee toon still amuses me as that still seems like a contradiction.

Anyway I was considering going to Balance but after reading the OP thread that seems like the hardest thing I'am ever going to do in life, dont think he was a real fan of the spec as it was made out to be incredibly hard.

Then maybe the spec is, I dont know, so thats what I'am asking...is it as bad as its been made out to be?

Is Balance more a caster spec than a melee spec?

Sure you have DoT's but am I more reliant on them and TK and Project than melee?

Infiltration is fine but I was hoping to be more of a caster than melee, Sage might have been a better option in hindsight but too late now.

Lastly is there a hybrid/preferred tree for Balance compared to the standard 7/3/31?

Thanks.

Edited by Rodstorm

Well, I've played from 0 to 50 as an Infiltration and changed spec recently. What I can say, that it's incredibly awesome and underrated. As Balance I'm getting ~50-100k dmg more on WZ's than as a Inf (that's because my DoT's are always ticking on multiple targets), as a survivability build I am alive for much, much longer in the center of the fight. If You go for the PvE, there is nothing there to be said, balance is the only choice there, inf doesn't go even close to the DoTs system, specially on bosses. Another thing, that after getting Sharrpened mind talent, You don't have to worry about Your force anymore. But nothing is perfect, there are some cons, that may scare You...

For first, maybe I'm doing something wrong, could be, I've played as balance for 2 weeks now, so not so pro :p but on 1v1, if You have Force Cloak on CD, You are a dead man most of the times. If You have FC, You aply some DoT's , FC, wait for some ticks to do some dmg, then some stuns and Double Strike, DS, DS... no project, it's lame as balance anyway. But with no FC, before You tick oponent to his death, You'll be dead by yourself :p

Second, it's lame to solo. To be effective, You have to DoT all mobs. But if You DoT all mobs, then You take agro, and You aren't a tank :p I didn't try to go on mobs with Qyzen yet, maybe it gets better than with Nadia/Tharan, but don't know for now.

On FPs You have one serious problem. Again, to be effective to You'r group, You have to DoT all mobs, adds, whatever. So You get agro. You have basicly one hit on mobs, DS. Yeah, it hits like a hell, but aren't as effective as Infiltration. So You need a pretty good tank to not get killed. On bosses though, You get a real smash on them, thanks to You're constant uptime and steady dps. And You don't have to hit them with DS so much to achieve this. This is aspecially usefull for bosses with smashing close range atacks, like that whirlewind of thrandosiah warrior in The False Emperor FP - You don't have to get near him to get that kick.

So basicly, You're great AoE fighter as balance, if You are in the middle of the fight and You DoT all arround You, You get that extra heal that You need to stay up for long, long time. But as an Inf You are much better 1vs1 fighter IMO. It's completly diffirent playstyle. Inf is sneaky, balance is kind of sorc but not sorc :p You are really anoying with the DoT thing, and with DoTing everyone arround, You get awesome kills and dmg output. But as I said, I'm still learning this spec so... ;)

Thanks mate for the reply, so Project and KT arent used much as Balance either?

Its strange because whilst leveling they were my main tools for dps.

1 on 1 now in pvp as Inf. I get hammered but I think thats because I suck at pvp fullstop so the DoT's may help improve the dps output there.

By the sounds though Balance is reliant on a group dynamic and is a lot weaker solo, I still use Qyzen and even at 50 for the dailies I'll use him so maybe he will compliment Balance better.

But Balance sounds better as a ranged spec, would that be right to say?

Still undecided which way to go though so hopefully I'll get some more feedback to help make a decision but I'am leaning towards the change

• 10 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Do not click this link it is a referral link

Also I want to take this time to alert everyone of a forum rule. Due to the possible "trick" nature of using your referral link to trick someone into unintentionally becoming your referral, we are not allowing use of your referral links here on the forums until this issue is resolved. Whether that is being honest about what the link is, or trying to hide it, it will be removed. Any egregious breach of this rule can result in infraction points.

Thanks for understanding as we work to improve this system!

-eric

• 1 year later...
When I level a character, I often gear myself using the green gear sets. As an infiltration shadow, do I want the Force-lord set or the duelist set?

Force lord. Duelist is for Kinetic Combat spec.

Edited by YVEXA