Your game is crashing my internet

SebastiaanZ

We did try to recreate the problem. I think we were able to recreate the disconnect, although there was no explanation for why it was happening. I'm not tech savvy, and don't remember the tech speak of the conversations. I remember there were pings and tracerts, and checking to be sure my computer was up-to-date on drivers, and I think some other stuff. I called about the situation twice, although it consistently happens whenever my Internet connection goes down. I stopped calling SWTOR and my ISP's tech when it happens because the calls usually took two+ hours and emails with pings and tracerts, and ended with no specific cause being found. Now when my ISP goes down (weather knocks out power -- life in tornado alley, or tech issues on my ISP's end), I just wait a couple a days or so, and the SWTOR only disconnecting me from the Internet problem stops.

The thing with drivers is they can be up to date and still not be working correctly in the context of a particular OS or hardware update to a system. And it is this aspect that feeds into system specific configurations and issues related to said configurations and software.... and hence why the user must first localize the actual culprit.... and not just assume it is the software you clicked on to start.

That earlier issue I explained with the EDGE browser crashing my internet or the PC itself randomly......... I actually had to tell everyone in the home to not use EDGE until further notice because I had isolated that application as the only offender, and it began immediately after the Win 10 anniversary update. Microsoft did not push any updates to EDGE to fix this. It was several weeks later before the PC manufacturer pushed me a pass-through of an updated set of wired and wireless drivers from the OEMs before the issue was resolved.

Edited by Andryah

• 1 year later...
Sorry, but I must also write here. Have same problem. I am playing on different connections. One at home, one at other place. First one is okay, but second one is falling in various periods after starting play SWTOR. During anyother game, application etc., it is not happening.

No SWTOR is crashing my internet period. Cause its only SWTOR and no other application. Even took down all running applications and processes, didn't change ****. So its SWTOR.

Lol never had this problem sorry... I would follow the advice above check your rig, contact ISP and say "hey when I play this game it disconnects."

Another thing you may want to look at, are you wireless?

Edited by lightSaberAddiCt

Sorry, but I must also write here. Have same problem. I am playing on different connections. One at home, one at other place. First one is okay, but second one is falling in various periods after starting play SWTOR. During anyother game, application etc., it is not happening.

Asking the same question as I did above, are you wireless? If so that could be your problem.

I am playing on different connections. One at home, one at other place. First one is okay, but second one is falling in various periods after starting play SWTOR. .

Are you running two different machines, or using the same machine at different locations?

In any case, the fact that it only happens at one location would naturally point to the problem being on your end.

Make sure ALL your drivers are up to date.

Clean the dust out of the machine(s) and make sure all fans are working properly.

The "other place" is probably taking a different "route" to get to SWTOR and there may be a flaky server/hub/router along the way..

SWTOR is very CPU intensive. If you are playing on a laptop, the combined heat from the CPU plus GPU may be more than the laptop's cooling system can handle, and it's getting flaky from overheating. After cleaning the dust out, be sure to place the laptop on a clean, flat surface so as not to obstruct air flow.

After cleaning the dust out, be sure to place the laptop on a clean, flat surface so as not to obstruct air flow.

I do remember a thread where somebody swore blind that he knew better than me where his laptop's fans blew air out of when I advised him to never use the laptop on a soft surface that blocks the air intakes.

Ah, yes, this one: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=947450

I do remember a thread where somebody swore blind that he knew better than me where his laptop's fans blew air out of when I advised him to never use the laptop on a soft surface that blocks the air intakes.

Ah, yes, this one: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=947450

Now that was funny, appreciate the link. Comprehension isn't for everyone I suppose.

I remember a poster who was placing his laptop on the bed covers and wondered why it overheated. :)

this might explain why im always in the bathroom. i dont know about my internet, though, cause, well...im not at my computer.

sorry, i just coudlnt resist and if only 1 other person chuckled other than me it was worth the effort to type.

i chuckled....lol