What's Killing SWTOR?

Shockazilla

No ranked war zones, broken and dead world pvp, ridiculously under-tuned raid content, no lfg tool, dead servers by the dozens, one-group content is fairly pointless and very uninteresting, general unhappiness with endgame appearance and customizability, uncouth developer behavior (the ranked war zone debacle is a pr nightmare and transparently greedy) etc, etc, etc

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*Looks around, sees tons on players online and profits still being made*

Yup we are going down hill .... :rolleyes:

The only thing, or at least a prime factor that could hurt TOR is it's elitist payerbase and legions of forum trolls.

Standard population starts around 350 players on the server. Anything less then 500 players is gamebreaking imo.

So what percentage of players are on servers with a peak population of <500?

trust me when i say this. Once you hit 50 you will be like...ok what now? Spaming chat for lfg for fp's gets old in 5 mins and good luck finding a guild that's willing to take you because they enjoy pve...and dont get me started on the pvp lol.

To answer your question..whats killing swtor? simple. biofailware and EA. At least from what ive read that swg lasted many years..doubt this will see 2 years game time let alone 1.

I don't have to trust you. My wife and I both hit 50 this weekend and after the rush of accomplishment of that and of obtaining our "Darth" titles, we both have been hit with a huge "now what" feeling. We are pve players and find that rather that the beginning of the adventure we have reached the end. We are seeing just a poorly done and limited implementation of the WOW raid or die formula with the worst dailies conceivable.

We love to play together and will probably level Republic characters to see their story line while we look at the new releases coming. Perhaps we will go over to WOW if the linear dead worlds and linear questing get to boring or if our server continues ot lose people and dies.

1 do you have a kink that proves standard is 350 and above ?

2 key word is your opinion

You can just count it with /who command. If you get too many displays you break your /who into level ranges and add those together. Then jump on the other faction and do the same.

There is nothing massive about 350 people. That's not even a fifth of my highschool I went to in 1990.

Edited by RocNessMonster

You can just count it with /who command. If you get too many displays you break your /who into level ranges and add those together. Then jump on the other faction and do the same.

There is nothing massive about 350 people. That's not even a fifth of my highschool I went to in 1990.

So let me ask you this then. How mant servers have 350 people in it and how many people are on WoW servers

People find it hard to find a game to waste serveral hours a day for years on. Thats the simple reason, nothing wrong with the game. Some part of the community tend to blame the content we already have, but the truth is that we rather are spoiled. True story :csw_vader:

Now on a different note the developers has been slacking lately replying on the forum and they seem busy, I'm expecting some new patches soon.

Edited by obi-joachim

*Looks around, sees tons on players online and profits still being made*

Yup we are going down hill .... :rolleyes:

The only thing, or at least a prime factor that could hurt TOR is it's elitist payerbase and legions of forum trolls.

Warhammer Online is still making a profit and there's only like a thousand people that play that game, so to say it's making profit doesn't mean much. The fact of the matter is, in the eyes of the mmo community swtor is a hilarious failure. Of course it's going to have "players online" but it was suppose to be the mmo that could contend with wow but it's barely done better than all of the triple A mmo's of the last 5 years in initial sales and it's heading the same way as them in retention. There will always be players playing TOR just like there's still people playing WAR and there were people playing swg when it died but for all intents and purposes Star Wars: The Old Republic is a colossal failure.

Edit: Elitist playerbase? There's no hardcore raiding, no competitive pvp, where's the elitism?

Edited by Pantheros

What about bugged operations? Let's say you got a 50 and you were ready to do operations to find out that the content is blocked by bugs? Is this important? (A lot of guildees have dropped out of game because of this, and some still hang around for at least the pvp content).

It may have taken awhile, but all of the Ops are relatively bug free now. Denova has been pretty much but free since it launched as well. If nothing else, BW has learned from ts mistakes, which is a good sign.

I hate when people comment on bugs that they themselves have no experience with...

Edited by Typeslice

The game is absolutely devoid of any social aspects IMO. Again, this is something, despite the combat mechanics and other bugs, that SWG absolutely crushed. Go into a cantina, and there were 50 random people chatting, talking, etc. That's what I loved about SWG. It never felt like a "game" to me so much as an experience. This game, like WoW, is very much the opposite. It's all shiny objects and other distractions, but they never work (or last) to make me forget that I'm playing a game. SWG was like an alternate reality. IMO, that's what a good MMO should be. SWTOR at this point is just a decent single player game with other people around.

The game is absolutely devoid of any social aspects IMO. Again, this is something, despite the combat mechanics and other bugs, that SWG absolutely crushed. Go into a cantina, and there were 50 random people chatting, talking, etc. That's what I loved about SWG. It never felt like a "game" to me so much as an experience. This game, like WoW, is very much the opposite. It's all shiny objects and other distractions, but they never work (or last) to make me forget that I'm playing a game. SWG was like an alternate reality. IMO, that's what a good MMO should be. SWTOR at this point is just a decent single player game with other people around.

Sounds like you miss chat rooms. A good mmo is about the content. Play second life if all you want is an alternate reality. I enjoy my normal reality, so when I play video games I want just that - a game.

I don't have to trust you. My wife and I both hit 50 this weekend and after the rush of accomplishment of that and of obtaining our "Darth" titles, we both have been hit with a huge "now what" feeling. We are pve players and find that rather that the beginning of the adventure we have reached the end. We are seeing just a poorly done and limited implementation of the WOW raid or die formula with the worst dailies conceivable.

We love to play together and will probably level Republic characters to see their story line while we look at the new releases coming. Perhaps we will go over to WOW if the linear dead worlds and linear questing get to boring or if our server continues ot lose people and dies.

This is very valid points. How would you feel if the game had a cross server LFG tool for end game content? One which allowed you to experence it in a timely fashion?

This is very valid points. How would you feel if the game had a cross server LFG tool for end game content? One which allowed you to experence it in a timely fashion?

That would've saved my old guild. They got tired of running FPs and weren't big enough to do Ops, and didn't want to take the time to spam chats to find another group to do Ops with.

I only played WoW for a short time, but during that time, I had a blast using cross-server LFG as a healer. Instances were the most fun I've had in that game. I'd love to be able to do that again in SW:TOR.

I think you will find yourself really really dissapointed by GW2.

I think people don't know what they want. This whole thread is an example of people's idiocy.

This game is superior to any mmorpg out there,provided you are remotely interested in star wars lore.

Edited by Kaedusz

Warhammer Online is still making a profit and there's only like a thousand people that play that game, so to say it's making profit doesn't mean much. The fact of the matter is, in the eyes of the mmo community swtor is a hilarious failure. Of course it's going to have "players online" but it was suppose to be the mmo that could contend with wow but it's barely done better than all of the triple A mmo's of the last 5 years in initial sales and it's heading the same way as them in retention. There will always be players playing TOR just like there's still people playing WAR and there were people playing swg when it died but for all intents and purposes Star Wars: The Old Republic is a colossal failure.

Edit: Elitist playerbase? There's no hardcore raiding, no competitive pvp, where's the elitism?

How does one gain acces to this elite MMO Community you speak of? /sarcasm off. I hate posts like this. In your eyes has any game been a success since WoW? What constitutes success vs. failure in the eyes of the "community"? No game will ever have sustained wow numbers again. WoW made these games mainstream, popping the mmo cherry of millions; millions who will experience the same disappointment over and her again: this does t have the same "feeling". Gone are the days of 10 million sub mmo's. The vast majority of mmo players are game hoppers now. That's what happens when something goes mainstream. The sooner people understand that, the sooner everyone wil be content enough to play and not *****.

Sounds like you miss chat rooms. A good mmo is about the content. Play second life if all you want is an alternate reality. I enjoy my normal reality, so when I play video games I want just that - a game.

Of course an MMO should have content. I think that's pretty price-of-entry for any game that takes 5+ years to develop. I've just always played MMO's because they have a little bit of depth beyond themepark-based content. Or at least, they should.

I'm finding this game has a lack of fun or soul or something along those lines, it's difficult to put your hand on what exactly it is that's missing but after playing the game for a long while it just doesn't excite me anymore. I used to play DAoC as my mmo before this, that game was a lot of fun in PvP and had a thriving community, it still has today.

I don't find myself going in to warzones and thinking yes, we're going to beat them lets work together but just want to win to get the comms :/ maybe that's just me.

It's a similar story with the PvE, I don't go in to hard encounters thinking of the feeling when I/we kill something that's hard for me/us to do or get too excited about the loot that drops.

I agree.

Am I the only one that sees things to do? I've seen a lot of complaints about "we don't have any incentive to run around the old planets" (this would help them feel less dead) and "there's no reason to run FPs anymore." They created quests that require downing world bosses and redoing the FPs. Were the rewards not good enough? or are people looking for something else/more, like along the lines of the Tatooine event?