What's next after installing an augment slot

geoffreykhchen

Heyo!:eek: Sorry, but this maybe a noob question, nonetheless I couldn't find info anywhere else. Recently I've acquired several MK 1 augment slot gear after reverse engineering some of my Synthweaving gear from my consular. I found a green gear that looks pretty good and wish to add augment slots on it so that (if possible) I can upgrade it like orange gear hopefully.

Problem is that after I upgraded it with an augment slot, I have no idea what to do next. I can't seem to add mods purchased via commindations and so I'm confused. I have no idea whether I'm doing this whole augmenting process right or wrong, no idea if it's even possible or what comes next.

Can anyone help a newcomer that's still learning about this game (let alone new to MMOs since a brief dip on Everquest which was a boring game btw :() on this issue. It would be much appreciated.:o

As a massive Star Wars fan, this MMO is the only MMO I find amazing.:D

Thank you all.:p

Heyo!:eek: Sorry, but this maybe a noob question, nonetheless I couldn't find info anywhere else. Recently I've acquired several MK 1 augment slot gear after reverse engineering some of my Synthweaving gear from my consular. I found a green gear that looks pretty good and wish to add augment slots on it so that (if possible) I can upgrade it like orange gear hopefully.

Problem is that after I upgraded it with an augment slot, I have no idea what to do next. I can't seem to add mods purchased via commindations and so I'm confused. I have no idea whether I'm doing this whole augmenting process right or wrong, no idea if it's even possible or what comes next.

Unfortunately, you can only add certain types of upgrades to an item with an augment slot. The ones you buy at the commendations vendor marked "enhancement", "mod", "armoring", "hilt", and "barrel" can only be used to upgrade orange (or purple) gear. With a green item with an augment slot, all you can do is add an "augment" upgrade. I have no idea where to purchase those from vendors if that's even possible -- I bought mine from crafters through the GTN.

Edited by SillyDan
spelling

Firstly welcome to SWTOR. It is an amazing game and I hope you enjoy it.

You will find a lot of people telling you not to bother with Mk1 augments. I've only bothered with high level gear and Mk6 (I think) augments. The best you could do is research at Google university and find a good guide, plenty out there. If you want to dabble in augments feel free to try them out with the Mk1's but you will find it will not level up like Orange gear and you will quickly find better gear and equipment to make you wonder why you bothered in the first place.

It is a credit sink so watch out if you get started you don't burn through your cash reserves.

To the crux of the issue: you will need to make the augment slot in the equipment at a modification bench.

Then you will need the actual Augment which can be made with crew skills or purchased off GTN, or they can apparently drop from slicing missions.

Good luck and may the force be with you.

Firstly, thank you all for the warm welcome and the great advices to which I am extremely grateful, really appreciate it.

If using an augment slot is not the same as upgrading purple or orange gear then would it be a wise choice to just simply augment an orange gear to boost the stats. Moreover if finding better gear is better than upgrading a green gear then there's really no point in upgrading it in the first place correct?

Since a MK1 augment slot is not to useful then perhaps there's really no point in using it as well, right?

Holy moly! I heard that this augment slot thing can't be thought with common sense, but this whole process is really taking its toll, real confusing!:confused:

Currently, I'm trying to make my commando the best character I have since it's my first character and trooper is my favorite class. Got to learn all the stuff and focus it by applying it to my character.

In any case, thank you all so much for the much needed help.:p

It is a little confusing. You shouldn't confuse augments with custom (orange) gear. Augments can go into any piece of gear, of any quality.

Let's talk about gear level first. Each piece of gear has a given quality:

In order of quality:

White is basic/weak (you never want to wear white stuff after level 10 or so)

Green is normal.

Blue is prototype.

Purple is artifact.

Orange gear is special: it's custom gear, designed so that you don't have to change your outfit every few levels. The stats of custom gear is entirely determined by the item modifications contained within it. If you ripped out the mods from one custom medium chest piece and put them in any other medium chest piece, the stats would be exactly the same as the original piece. (Note that some blue and purple items are also custom gear, in that the mods can be swapped).

Custom gear has a number of fixed modification slots of a given type. A weapon has 5 slots: hilt/barrel/crystal/mod/enhancement. Most custom armor has three slots: armoring/mod/enhancement (waist and wrists don't have an enhancement slot).

With an augment kit - which you generally either need to make yourself or buy off the GTN - you can add an extra modification slot to any item, even non-custom items. This is called an augment slot. Sometimes, if you're lucky, items that you make will come with an augment slot. If you use an augment kit, you need to go to an item modification station to install the augment kit into the item to want to augment. That adds the augment slot to the item.

The only type of mod that will go into an augment slot is an augment. You can very, very rarely find these in the world from quest rewards or missions. More likely you'll buy them on the GTN or make them yourself if you have the right schematic and crafting skill.

As was noted above, however, it's generally not worth augmenting gear until you're level 50. It costs a ton of money - you have to buy the augmentation kit, pay to install it in the item, then buy the actual augment to go into the slot. You'll have outleveled the gear and augment before you know it, and will have wasted a lot of money. At level 50, however, you'll want to progressively add augment slots and augments to all your gear.

A very elaborate explanation, much appreciated. Thanks a lot sleepy king. So first thing's first I need to get my commando up to level 50 in order to do augment slots, got it!

This shouldn't be to hard then, since my character is getting close to level 50 anyways.

THANKS!!!:D:D

History Note:

Augment Kits didn't exist at launch, and so Augment Slots only existed on a few, rare items (like when you crit a crafted item). So for the most part, the Augments themselves were hardly used. Many patches(months) later, they changed the basic mechanics so that you can Augment ANY equip-able piece of clothing/relics/earpieces/etc. and created the Augment Kit, which is a whole different story how to make those.

So if Augmenting seems kind of weird, it's probably because of the fact it's changed a lot in the last year and wasn't part of the initial design. It's a really nice change (and GREAT money sink!), but still, these types of after-the-release features sometimes just feel a bit off, so it's understandable why there's so much confusion with it.

augments are the only piece of gear that are exclusively crafted you have to either make them yourself or get them from another player via trade & the GTN.

there are augment recipes for armormech, armstech and synthweaver all found from slicing crew skill

Edited by MorgonKara