Been told to wipe your char list by guild

Rmshadow

if you mean remove alts from the guild then yes ive heard of this before. But ive never heard of it being enforced in such a manner.

if you mean to delete all your alts then no, thats just insane.

Edited by Shingara

First I heard of something ludicrous like that. If I were you I'd just /laugh in his face and then leave the guild.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if this 'guild leader' is the only one left in the guild with those kinds of demands :rolleyes:

Edited by Danakar

I remember on WoW when I joined the top raiding guild on my server cause they needed tanks. First thing they told me was I had to pay 500 gold to the guild bank every week.

I proceeded to give them a detailed comparison of how they saw themselves and what they really were.

They were quicker on the /gkick than I was on the /gquit :D

I hope one day you can put this behind you, the wounds are obviously still fresh, just know that time heals all wounds, well nearly all, maybe not this one.

Ah! My old guild buddy. How ya been?

/hugs

Side note: how'd you get 8 lvl 50's already?

I remember on WoW when I joined the top raiding guild on my server cause they needed tanks. First thing they told me was I had to pay 500 gold to the guild bank every week.

This was a pretty common practice back in the day, especially before they had the guild funds automatically make money whenever someone looted money. A lot of raid guilds I've seen and been in did it to help cover repair costs. I've even been asked by people why I didn't do it when my guild was playing WoW.

This was a pretty common practice back in the day, especially before they had the guild funds automatically make money whenever someone looted money. A lot of raid guilds I've seen and been in did it to help cover repair costs. I've even been asked by people why I didn't do it when my guild was playing WoW.

maybe my guild was different, but we were a high end raiding guild, not server best, but one of the best, we had free repairs for raiders and free flasks/elixiers/pots for raiders. We made plenty of gold from selling BoEs. We had at least 500k gold

In 16 years playing MMO never heard that one before. Get away from that guild fast as you can.

And honestly only way they will know you have other Characters or characters in other guilds is if you tell them.

I ran into the 2nd part years ago and just never told them. Reason that is not a guild it is a dictatorship.

Edited by Romiz

Wipe a char list?

I don't even know what that means, and I've been playing MMO's since the late 1990's.

If you mean they only allow your main in their guild, then yeah I've heard of that.

If you mean they don't want you having alts in other guilds, then yeah I've heard of that to.

But if you are talking about a "no alts shall exist" rule or something to that effect, then no I've never heard of such a thing.

So i joined a guild and the next thing i know I'm being told by the GM to wipe my char list to stay in the guild.
Perhaps you just joined a "Level 1" guild where everyone rerolls when they reach level 2.

I proceeded to give them a detailed comparison of how they saw themselves and what they really were.

They were quicker on the /gkick than I was on the /gquit :D

Ive heard of stuff like this but there is no solid reason for it. Instead of demanding coin they can ask that people donate. I was a hardcore raider in EQ and EQ2 .. never had I been told that you must give us any coin. Instead I was asked from time to time just to donate or craft for the guild etc .. in which case I did. Asking for help is one thing ... demanding it is a whole other can of worms.

Edited by Maglon

I can understand a guild weekly tax rather than donations. I recall we had a donation policy in my WoW guild back in the day, what happened was that one person donated and everyone else took and she got mad when people took more than they should (taking flasks for PvP when we're a PvE guild) when she was the one providing everything in the guild bank.

Only Eve-Online from what I know has had a suspicion culture going that far amongst the 'guilds' (corporations and alliances).

In PL we'd screen applicants in a multitude of ways, going from a interview to full API key exposures. API keys and the character names of all personas on that account are run through a DB of all known spies and other persona non grata. If we find evidence ANY of the characters are owned by someone with multiple accounts then this is probed, and more checks are run if needed.

We also actively monitored IP addresses used by members and applicants wherever we had access to this info (mumble, irc services, website). These are again cross-checked against known offending IPs. The PL website and forums have a type of unicode watermarking built in which means any leaked information can be traced back to the account in question (including screenshots as the unicode watermark leaves a very minute visual marker). Passwords were monitored in a similar way. If a member would use a password that an unwanted person had used in the past that would be flagged up and investigated.

Yes sirs, internet spaceships is, and always has been, serious bzns.

Edit: so what I'm saying is, you might have accidentally joined PL in SWTOR, if they made a guild xD If so, o/ guys

Edited by Rami__

Guilds are weird. I'd rather pug. I good pug is like a one night stand. They're not always fun (and sometimes you're a bit itchy after), but once it's over, it's over. No strings attached.

It's honestly why I'm in love with tools like the dungeon finder. It allows me to group and enjoy group activities without the commitment and politics that come along with being in a guild. I have a 50 hour a week job and a family. I only get to play a few hours a night when my kids are in the bed... I don't need someone telling me what I should be doing or how I should be playing during the small amount of "me" time that I get.