Is there a more useless companion than Lord Scourge?

Lium

Seriously. What an epic letdown he is. I couldn't wait to gain him as a companion, and from the moment I got him and took him into combat it's been one disappointment after another.

I mean, what is his deal? Is he supposed to be a tank? Melee DPS? He most certainly can't be a tank because he is honest to goodness dead in about three hits. He also cannot possibly be DPS because he hits like a wet noodle. Kira Carsen is much more effective. She can actually fly off and SOLO three or four mobs.

Lord Scourge goes into combat, and the next thing I know I'm seeing "YOUR COMPANION HAS BEEN DEFEATED".

What the actual eff??? You're supposed to be the freaking Emperor's Wrath! Serious question, is he only there for the story? Because I never even take him anywhere anymore. He sits on my ship collecting dust. Doc and Kira are my top companions.

Edit: Oops! I meant to post this in the Jedi Knight forums. Sorry!

Edited by Lium
Wrong fourm

All tanking companions suck.

Why ? Because unlike regular tanks, they don't increase their Armor Rate at all, and are stuck with a damage reduction like DPS would have. Add to this the fact that the companion gear you get from quests are totally outdated* and you have a tank that can't mitigate damage.

As an exemple without spoiling anything when I had my melee tank with my Agent (Sniper), I had more damage mitigation from armor than him ... without being a tank myself, I'm a better tank than my tank companion, no point using him.

*when you're on a level 36 quest, while you get some 35-36 items for you, your companion will get a lvl 31-32 equivalent one

Edited by Altheran

Tank companions rule and anyone who says otherwise has clearly no idea how to use them. That being said, on a Jedi Knight, which has no support roles, tank companions are less than desirable.

And that being said, Lord Scourge is the one companion I use when doing dailies at level 50, deck him out in my offspec DPS gear (in DPS stance, with a Focus equipped) and he can put almost as much hurting as Kira while being A LOT more survivable (and easier to gear up).

Edited by RendValor

I don't know. Kira is just much better and way more effective. Her DPS is high and, like I said, she can solo groups of mobs which makes her survivability much higher than Scourge's.

All that being said, I prefer Doc for the heals on my sentinel.

Well since all classes have the same companions with the same abilities but renamed and reskinned, yes there are other companions like Lord Scourge.

Think he's Tanno Vik for troopers for example.

And Doc, he's Elara.

Edited by Gyronamics

Anyone who says Scourge is better than Kira doesn't know how to use Kira. She survives better by killing much faster than Scourge.

It doesn't matter what stance Scourge is using. You can have him in great gear, dps, or tank, it doesn't matter. Neither set helps him much. I've tried getting him near to player levels of defense, shield, and absorb in tank stance. He still drops way too fast. I've also tried converting him to DPS, and that didn't help him either.

Setting him on a silver mob to compare to Kira is telling. He consistently takes more damage before the mob dies than does Kira in equal level gear.

No melee tank companion is worth much past the 20s. The ranged ones do a better job tanking, and work better as DPS. The heavy armor melee DPS companions work even better than Kira though. For FP farming, I still prefer ranged DPS, like Vette, and Gault, for their AOE.

Oh, the companion tanks in beta were really pretty good. They got an armor bonus, which was really helpful. That was removed before live game, however.

Edited by Hambunctious

Tank companions rule and anyone who says otherwise has clearly no idea how to use them. That being said, on a Jedi Knight, which has no support roles, tank companions are less than desirable.

This is just not true. Tank companions are extremely flawed. They have a use, and they can be useful at times for very specific specs but they definitely do not "rule".

And that being said, Lord Scourge is the one companion I use when doing dailies at level 50, deck him out in my offspec DPS gear (in DPS stance, with a Focus equipped) and he can put almost as much hurting as Kira while being A LOT more survivable (and easier to gear up).

not sure how you are managing that, my companions die in seconds when trying to do the dailies and if i haven't killed the strong that practicually one-shotted my companion, i will be close behind, then in came a commando and just AoE'ed the lost down and just had the strong to take out.

The Jedi Knight needs a good AoE, maybe give the force sweep/smash ability a dot as well as what it currently does, that does its initial damage and then the same amount of damage over 15 seconds or something.

Can you understand lord scourge? because if so, you get a better deal than sith warriors, who get a talz who we can't even understand.

Yeah, but...

Knights get T7, BHs get Blizz, Troopers get Yuun, Inquisitors get Khem Vaal, Consulars get Qyzen Fess, and Smugglers get Bowdaar.

Point is, a lot of classes have a token gibberish-speaker, and, coincidentally or not, most of those are tanks.

not sure how you are managing that, my companions die in seconds when trying to do the dailies and if i haven't killed the strong that practicually one-shotted my companion, i will be close behind, then in came a commando and just AoE'ed the lost down and just had the strong to take out.

then you must be doing something wrong...cause even before end game, my guardian and her Kira would kill 2-3 groups of mobs before needing to stop and heal up. i never even used Doc. Kira just made things so much faster. now that i'm level 50 in BH/Columi, and Kira's in Tionese/Columi, we just steamroll through everything and barely ever need to slow down and take a breather. she just kills things so fast while my guardian is a taunting brick wall. it's ridiculous. i shudder to think what kind of wrecking ball she'll be when i finally get her in full BH.

Edited by happysister

I actually found Scourge half-usefull when I tried him out on Belsavis. When he tanked I usually won fights without dying, but I often had to scrape his carcass off the ground after most every one of them. I probably would bring him out more than I do if I wasn't roleplaying my Knight to hate his sith guts. Edited by OldVengeance

As an exemple without spoiling anything when I had my melee tank with my Agent (Sniper), I had more damage mitigation from armor than him ... without being a tank myself, I'm a better tank than my tank companion, no point using him.

While minimally spoiling, the Agent's melee tank is not male. The male melee character is DPS and is not intended to have high armor rating.

I have troubles with most tank companions. The survivability buff does not outweigh the damage output advantage of DPS companions, at least not for my preferred combat pace. Lord Scourge I love just for the purple AoE life-sucking. In fact, he and Khem Val are my favorite tanks just for that, because it looks awesome and scary. I gear them and take them everywhere I can. That said, when the going gets tough the tough takes Doc out instead.

While minimally spoiling, the Agent's melee tank is not male.

I used a "he" just to not spoil anything. English is not my native language, but in english don't you use the "he" when you don't want to be gender-accurate ?

By the way, I tested multiple times on the same NPC "packs" (1 Strong Nexu + 2 Weak Nexus), and the real "he" was always alive at the end of the fight (even if force the NPC to attack him - because when the NPC is rooted, he attacks who is in his range, aka "him") with than 30% HP, while the tank died 50% of the time or live with less than 20%.

And as a side note, the real "he" had not recieved any replacement gear because I don't like him running with a Inquistor style.

Edited by Altheran

Melee tanks are actually my favourite sort of companion (for soloing purposes anyway). Give them an offensive off-hand and put them in attack stance (increasing their dps significantly - as it cuts their dps cooldowns by a major bit, a luxury ranged tanks don't get for some reason). Then, leave their taunts active. Allows for a very even damage spread (incoming) between you and the companion, while retaining a dps output relatively close to what a double dps combo would have. In my experience, this combination has fairly high killing power (only slightly outperformed by dps companions) and fairly low downtime (only outperformed by healer companions - and sometimes perhaps full tanks, if you can mount/unmount heal them).

Important to add is that all my 8 characters are dps.

then you must be doing something wrong...cause even before end game, my guardian and her Kira would kill 2-3 groups of mobs before needing to stop and heal up. i never even used Doc. Kira just made things so much faster. now that i'm level 50 in BH/Columi, and Kira's in Tionese/Columi, we just steamroll through everything and barely ever need to slow down and take a breather. she just kills things so fast while my guardian is a taunting brick wall. it's ridiculous. i shudder to think what kind of wrecking ball she'll be when i finally get her in full BH.

Gear makes a world of difference on companions.

I am still a fairly new level 50 Bounty Hunter: Powertech tank. I just upgraded my healer (Mako) and my DPS (Torian) in Recruit MK-2 armor and the difference is honestly like night and day!

It nearly doubled my healers heals, and my DPSs damage. It also made the quite sturdy in PvE doing daily quests and soloing heroic +2's with them. (I have no problems doing them solo now with the MK-2 armor on them.) It is a rather steep investment for a fresh level 50 to gear up 2-3 companions, as each set costs around 350k credits.

My wife did the same thing with one of her DPS companions (Vector). Together we were able to duo several of the level 50 normal mode flashpoints. She is an Operative Healer with a DPS companion, along with me tanking and using Torian as DPS, we were all in Recruit MK-2 armor with 1-2 pieces of rakata from daily coms.

As in any bioware game, gear matters. I gear my most used companions as I would myself--orange gear and blue mods at a minimum, purple implants, offhand and ear. They all do great. Scourge almost never dies. If he does, I probably do too. Green gear isn't good, whether it be on you or what's provided to the companions. Edited by errant_knight

You must have been lucky then, cause, unless i use Doc, i take MASSIVE damage, thats why it feels like to me that if you don't use a healer companion, you just can't play the game, which makes me feel that bioware outright lied about the companions 'use any of them and not feel weakened by them' i surely do, from experience, its use a healer companion or be extremely weakened.

When i was leveling up the guardian, i was passing all the quests that people had trouble with, with no trouble at all with Kira and when it got to the point of getting Doc, the difficulty just got so high, it was use Doc or just die.