Immerision enhancer: Toggle saber core

Tim-ONeil

Pink/Purple is not Star Wars.

So with the release of the cartel packs these terrible looking sabers are EVERYWHERE because of their high stats. For the people that actually appreciate the holy grail of Star Wars immersion, I.E the lightsaber, this is really an eye sore. Last night I did a BT run on a new BH and the other 3 people in the party all had the hideous saber. It's everywhere because it's best in slot for level 10-50 :(

I'd like to see a toggle system (and I'd be willing to pay to unlock with coins it to cover dev costs) that will change all saber cores on my screen to a white internal core. This allows the person who thinks that the purple/pink or red/black saber looks awesome to see it on their screen without reminding me how silly it looks every time I see it. To me it would look purple with a while core or red with a while core. They still see the red/black that they wanted to see. I think this is might be quite popular as many people enjoy Star Wars lore and having the toggle appeases both audiences.

I realize that ugly sabers are here to stay but it really takes away from the connection with Star Wars. Swinging a saber from Candyland isn't inspiring.

To further clarify what I mean:

Examine this image from Dulfy. http://dulfy.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/colorcrystalspanel3.jpg

The lightsabers on the left are star wars based, all lightsabers in the movies and star wars lore have a central white core with a colored outer glow. This is the case in each of the 6 movies.

The lightsabers on the right are NOT star wars, they are exactly what I would do if I wanted to have an item similar to a lightsaber in a non Star Wars licensed game if I was a game designer.

Notice how each of the black or colored cores has an opposite "cannon" version. The toggle I'm requesting will change the lightsaber on the right to the lightsaber on the left for people that desire it.

What it means to you if you like the ugly sabers. Absolutely nothing. You still see your awesome pink/purple popsicle and the people that don't want to look at it don't have to. It's a win win and will allow us to at least pretend that keeping a game 'Starwarsy' (one of the biggest complaints about SWG was it wasn't starwarsy enough ironically) is important to a portion of the fan base.

Edited by Tim-ONeil

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I for one love my pink-purple saber, makes them much easier to attain at lower levels as before there was literally no purple colored sabers for lower levels. Whilst some may not like it, others do and the game caters to a large audience all with different tastes. If you don't like them, don't use them, that's why there is a choice in what color crystal you can use.

I for one love my pink-purple saber, makes them much easier to attain at lower levels as before there was literally no purple colored sabers for lower levels. Whilst some may not like it, others do and the game caters to a large audience all with different tastes. If you don't like them, don't use them, that's why there is a choice in what color crystal you can use.

The issue is that we are forced to see them, it's not about the crystals we use ourselves.

I'm in full support of a toggle such as the OP proposes, so Jedi/Sith on my screen look right at least in regards to the lightsabers.

Pink/Purple is not Star Wars.

Hear, hear!

The only acceptable colors for lightsabers are: Acid yellow, amber, amethyst, aqua, azure, black/white, blue, dark blue, icy blue, bright gold, bronze, bronze/yellow, brown, burgundy, carmine, clear, cobalt, crimson, cyan, cyan/silver, electric blue, emerald, gold, gray, green, dark green, jade, light green, sage, green/black, indigo, lava, magenta, orange, white, pewter, pink, purple, red, blood red, dark red, light red, sapphire, scarlet, sickly green, silver, silver-blue, silver-green, teal, violet, dark violet, light violet, viridian, yellow, dark yellow, light yellow, white-yellow, yellow-green, and yellow-orange.

Nowhere in that list is pink/purple, and I feel insulted that SWTOR would include such a slap-in-the-face diversion from SW lore.

Just because you hate the color doesn't mean everyone else does. You don't like it don't use it simple as that.

For me, having a pink lightsaber has been a dream come true. You may not like it, but no one is forcing you to use that color. Just let us enjoy our colors and you can enjoy yours :)

Hey, guys. He's asking for a toggle so that his immersion doesn't have to be ruined by your fun. I don't think that's too much to ask. It's not like he's asking for them to be removed from the game. He just doesn't want to see them. I for one agree, a toggle would be a nice option.

:cool:

Edited by Blackavaar

Hey, guys. He's asking for a toggle so that his immersion doesn't have to be ruined by your fun. I don't think that's too much to ask. It's not like he's asking for them to be removed from the game. He just doesn't want to see them. I for one agree, a toggle would be a nice option.

:cool:

That's fair enough, but is a dislike for color really a valid enough reason to add a toggle? Also, is a pink lightsaber really that much of a jump from, say, purple or orange? I don't really see how its at odds with the Star Wars style. I'm sure the amour of my Jedi's and Sith are far more outer-Star Wars then the color of their blades!

Edited by Cyberwoman

Just because you hate the color doesn't mean everyone else does. You don't like it don't use it simple as that.

OP is saying he still has to look at it and that messes with him.

Which I understand; the pink/black actually makes me sick a little if I look at it for a couple seconds.

This is a good example of how BW is out of touch with what so many SW fans want!

We want NORMAL lightsabers with a white core. We want NORMAL/TRADITIONAL Jedi/Sith Robes just like the movies, not running around looking like clowns. We want NORMAL looking (white) Trooper gear (like the original Star Wars) without all the extra color designs to be an option!

Most of what the majority of people want in this game are visual items that looks traditionally like the Star Wars we all know and love. Seems to be too much WoW (retarded) type visuals in this game.

Edited by ObiJuanShenobi

This is a good example of how BW is out of touch with what so many SW fans want!

We want NORMAL lightsabers with a white core. We want NORMAL/TRADITIONAL Jedi/Sith Robes just like the movies, not running around looking like clowns. We want NORMAL looking (white) Trooper gear (like the original Star Wars) without all the extra color designs to be an option!

Most of what the majority of people want in this game are visual items that looks traditionally like the Star Wars we all know and love. Seems to be too much WoW (retarded) type visuals in this game.

Well, personally speaking, I would rather TOR finds its own identity and style rather then harking back to the films all the time. I like to make my Jedi and Sith different from the norm, and moreover, I think there should be a choice. If your want to look like Obi or Vader then you should have the style option, but you should also have the choice of making your look distinctive and unique to you without having to be forced to fit in with the rest.

Edited by Cyberwoman

I don't remember seeing any lightsabers in the movies that comprised two distinct colours. I don't like the fact we have two different colours for core and outer glow at all. IMO it looks like rubbish and is immersion breaking like so many other things in this game (though some can't be avoided). But this one could be...

A "classic saber colour" toggle could assign red to all Imperial player sabers and give blue or green (depending on class) to any Rep Jedi who are wielding a dual-colour saber. Or they could get fancier and have purple/black look purple, the gold/black look yellow, pink/purple look purple etc so that all sabers appear to be one solid colour.

I don't expect Bioware to do this. Maybe a 3rd party client mod could.

Hear, hear!

The only acceptable colors for lightsabers are: Acid yellow, amber, amethyst, aqua, azure, black/white, blue, dark blue, icy blue, bright gold, bronze, bronze/yellow, brown, burgundy, carmine, clear, cobalt, crimson, cyan, cyan/silver, electric blue, emerald, gold, gray, green, dark green, jade, light green, sage, green/black, indigo, lava, magenta, orange, white, pewter, pink, purple, red, blood red, dark red, light red, sapphire, scarlet, sickly green, silver, silver-blue, silver-green, teal, violet, dark violet, light violet, viridian, yellow, dark yellow, light yellow, white-yellow, yellow-green, and yellow-orange.

Nowhere in that list is pink/purple, and I feel insulted that SWTOR would include such a slap-in-the-face diversion from SW lore.

In your link it states that:

"Lightsaber crystals of different hues could also be used in the same lightsaber to make a new blade color; for example, Galen Marek used Rahm Kota's green crystal along with his father's blue crystal to create an aqua blade."

Therefore it is entirely plausible that you could use a pink crystal and a purple crystal to get a pink/purple crystal?

Hear, hear!

So uhm... You do realize that aside from blue, green, red, and purple, which were all present in the films, every single one of those colors was at some point invented by some writer in some book or some TV series, right? There's absolutely no reason Bioware can't also invent some of its own colors, and, if LucasArts approves, have them included in canon.

I like black-core sabers. I LIKE Pink-Purple. I like Orange-Yellow. As long as they keep making cores and coronas complementary colors, I hope they keep doing it.