Space Combat in The Old Republic (continued from pre launch)

seatown

I hope you're right. But until I hear them actually DEFINE what they're working on, I will urge you to seriously throttle back your expectations. This is one of those situations where a player is hyping something Bioware has never even alluded to. PLEASE...keep your dreams realistic. Hope for the "sim", but expect little more than a tweak to what we currently have...like maybe a turret for your buddy to shoot from.

The thing is they can just come out and say whatever it is, in fact they did say they would have an announcement about it "in a few weeks" back in June (I think), but nothing has been said, apart from "a whole new pixel" space.

I suspect you maybe right that the reason for this is it underwhelming or still a concept rather than a genuine development, but really they shouldn't then keep hyping it every few months and expect people not to get..... well...... hyped. :(

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but really they shouldn't then keep hyping it every few months and expect people not to get..... well...... hyped. :(

They can´t be blamed for hyping anything, in fact I think there is way too little hype at the moment.

An announcement of something spectacular like a space sim addition would create some buzz again.

They can´t be blamed for hyping anything, in fact I think there is way too little hype at the moment.

An announcement of something spectacular like a space sim addition would create some buzz again.

I agree. They need more hype about it. Right now it feels like they are avoiding the subject like the plague. It gives me the wrong impression, sort of like they abandoned it and are hoping for people to forget about what they said. If they mentioned some more about it right now I am sure it would keep people hyped about the game. It may even keep some from thinking about leaving and make some think about coming back. So many people want a better Free Roaming 3D Space feature that it is a given that it would help the game. It only hurts them to not comment on it.

Well, i could deride them a bit for ignoring the HUGE amount of feedback with respect to space combat they have received since Beta.

I honestly dont expect anything more than expanding the current system by adding multiplayer components, and I actually think that would be a good INITIAL move on their part...improve the current system a bit, and then add a separate more thorough element later...not much later mind you, but late enough to pull some funding from profits that are drawn on F2P revenue.

I'm gonna be honest about this: I dont care.

Thats how important this subject is. I much prefer they introduce other mini-games like swoop racing, pazak, more story, more planets, more flashpoints, more ops, more gear tiers.

A 5 minute mini-game that is in a perfectly good state does need revamping. Its a total waste of time because not many people play it anyways.

The only thing i'd like them to tweak is the sun's in the space missions. They look like an amalgam of pixels and dont shine at all. They look ugly compared to the planets, ships, asteroids, etc and somewhat remove you from the experience. Maybe the new lighting patch solves it...

Edited by Nemmar

more flashpoints, more ops, more gear tiers.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/366922/poll-Which-top-feature-to-get-yourself-interested-in-the-game-again.html

almost NO ONE wants new flashpoints or new OPs gear grinds.

This kind of content is a money burn, nothing else

Edited by Lord_Ravenhurst

I agree. They need more hype about it. Right now it feels like they are avoiding the subject like the plague. It gives me the wrong impression, sort of like they abandoned it and are hoping for people to forget about what they said. If they mentioned some more about it right now I am sure it would keep people hyped about the game. It may even keep some from thinking about leaving and make some think about coming back. So many people want a better Free Roaming 3D Space feature that it is a given that it would help the game. It only hurts them to not comment on it.

This is my fear...they KNOW what people want. Even during beta people wanted that.The space game, as it is, was a massive disappointment (the overwhelming #1 complaint!!!) from the start!!! It's not new.

Bioware is well aware of what people think about their worthless space game...they just don't/didn't care. That's why, the more turn over they have, the better our odds are of getting something the players want. Hell, for the next 3-5 months, they only 'update' you'll see are more of the SAME type missions...nothing 'new'.

I fear the lack of 'hype' is because it's not real...and won't be. They built the game THEY wanted, not a game players wanted.

I fear the lack of 'hype' is because it's not real...and won't be.

Of course it´s real, but when will they finally tell anything about it?

I hate this silence, and not asking the players for early feedback is another big mistake.

They will present the finished product with their usual "take it or leave it" attitude.

I want pvp space fights, and free roam space/fights. Also, I want to be able to "dock" your ship with some friendly ships and have a duel on either ship. Yes I am 100% SERIOUS, I WANT THAT!

When I sau duel, I mean duel ON the ships.

Edited by MastaKorgy

Of course it´s real, but when will they finally tell anything about it?

I hate this silence, and not asking the players for early feedback is another big mistake.

They will present the finished product with their usual "take it or leave it" attitude.

There's basically two options:

1. They have something but for some seemingly inexplicable reason have decided to not tell anybody anything about it for more than 12 months now.

2. They have nothing to tell.

Star Citizen is looking pretty damn awesome, and is shaping up to be incredibly popular too. If SWTOR wants to attract a decent sized playerbase, then it NEEDS something unique about it beyond voice acting in quests. Fully realized space flight mechanics should be a no-brainer for the franchise.

Let smugglers run blockades! Give us access to Guild Ships that we can show off on cruises! Let me team up with dozens of fighter pilots to take down Guild Ships from the opposing faction! Create Flashpoints and Battlegrounds around space combat!

I know it's a lot of work, but you won't hit a stable couple of million + subs without something this big and unique. Star Wars without space is like Game of Thrones without female characters.

I wish they'd say something, heck anything. Is Bioware Austin or Edmonton working on it? Are they still working on it? Whos in charge? The biggest gap between the devs and the community, since before launch, has been regarding this issue. I'm not saying they owe me anything and I'm not demanding they speak, just wishful that they would.

wow, first time i've read this, and i like the idea a lot, i just posted in another forum thread, at how one of the most annoying aspect about ToR is how disconnected everything feels b/c of the many loading screens and how some sort of animation of taking off/landing should be extended to cover the load time.

it lead me to mention how i don't get the space feeling when playing this game, and that is a major part of the star wars experience that can only boost this game. I remember saying then they need to redo the entire space model and re-integrate it into the game. It can work extremely well b/c you have a fantastic game already with almost 0 space interaction save for a fun, but ultiamtely poor space combat side game.

You want to extend this to full battle, space chases, and a measure of space exploration that can be woven into everythign that is there.. For example it would be great if you could have the option of auto zipping to Voss like is available currently in game, or do it manually, in a style that i can only guess would be similar to SWG since i never played that game.

I'm just saying, maybe i really shouldn't be fantasizing about what ifs and could be in a fantasy game, more important things, and largely i'm over-indulging, but I would state though that the full space experience would be awesome, and would add quite the dimension to the game that world of warcraft can't possibly match - unless they did something similar for travelling by sea on Azeroth - but it won't be as epic as a space battle.

Space is an asset to use in a star wars game, one none of the mmo competitors have. IF you're as good as the best of them, and in some cases better than thema ll at the ground game, but are struggling to keep abreast with a monster like wow, you need to use your assets, and a properly developed space dimension could work wonders for the experience, and especially for end game long haul to the next expansion.

Imagine this, if space exploration opened up at max level? How cool that would be, it would be like doing another game experience at the max level, it would be ages before you're bored, cos you'd be handling your flashpoints, ops and warzones with the odd dailies, then have this whole new aspect to get a handle on.. and now with the new pricing policy, it could even be a subscriber only feature.. look at how that owuld boost he experince.

You could then level up your ship, exchange it for bigger models, since all the cut-scenes are done while levelling up, there is no problem of having to do more video to accomodate a new environment, players could do space exporation SWG and gain ship levels, in a progression taht should keep them occupied till the next expansion is out, it would blow every existing end game mmo out of the water... cos despite all its efforts, wow still struggles with a meaningful experience at end game to match levelling.

Whether it takes away from ground game development will entirely depend on how it is structured or designed, tbh, i would commission another company or smaller studio team to build an SWG like space experience with space battles into TOR. Then properly integrate the two in a new expansion.

Star Citizen is looking pretty damn awesome, and is shaping up to be incredibly popular too. If SWTOR wants to attract a decent sized playerbase, then it NEEDS something unique about it beyond voice acting in quests. Fully realized space flight mechanics should be a no-brainer for the franchise.

Let smugglers run blockades! Give us access to Guild Ships that we can show off on cruises! Let me team up with dozens of fighter pilots to take down Guild Ships from the opposing faction! Create Flashpoints and Battlegrounds around space combat!

I know it's a lot of work, but you won't hit a stable couple of million + subs without something this big and unique. Star Wars without space is like Game of Thrones without female characters.

Yeah, I'm really excited about that game. I hate that its two years out.

http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/star-citizen/?rid=29303

Star Citizen is about to break the 5 million barrier and is now the biggest privately funded game project IN HISTORY!

It's heading towards six million lol, I remember when swtor came out, people where quick to say space is a niche and nobody would play it, if it was too complex.(this game needed swimming and the ability to sit in chairs first, and space wasn't a big deal lol)

I wish bioware would leak a clip of the super secret space project.(just to quench my need for 3d space combat)

It's heading towards six million lol, I remember when swtor came out, people where quick to say space is a niche and nobody would play it, if it was too complex.(this game needed swimming and the ability to sit in chairs first, and space wasn't a big deal lol)

I wish bioware would leak a clip of the super secret space project.(just to quench my need for 3d space combat)

Yep. Exactly as I predicted. Obviously we´re better than the game analyst suits. Same goes for sandbox MMOs, as I predicted. And most suits are still dreaming about tablet games, mobile/social network games and copying the WoW concept. :rolleyes:

lol, that is so much fun watching those guys live stream QA

http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/live/

24 hours no sleep :eek:

btw this is crazy:

Coolest space port ever