Class specializations and lore accuracy

Xilizhra

I'm not as familiar with the Expanded Universe as some, so... how many of the class specializations have an accurate basis in Star Wars lore? The Sith Sorcerer was the first one that seemed somewhat dodgy to me; even the greatest sorcerer in the galaxy, Palpatine, fought primarily with a lightsaber and not with constant lightning barrages (the commonality of Force lightning in the game also bugs me a bit, as I seem to recall that it requires an uncommon thirst for power to be able to channel properly), and I likewise, I don't know of any Jedi who's primary combat move was telekinesis, or any Sith or Jedi who could battlefield heal in the way some Sorcerers/Sages could. Are there examples for this in the actual lore?

That, of course, doesn't get into the healing specializations for the non-Force classes and all of their miraculous kolto weaponry...

Sith Sorceror is based on characters from comics

Sith Assassin is based on KOTOR and KOTOR2.

Sith Juggernaut is based on Darth Vader

Sith Marrauder is based on multiple sith, some of which even dual wielded

Bounty hunter Mercenary is based on several BH's including Jango Fett

Bounty Hunter Powertech is based on several BH's including Boba Fett

Imperial Agent Sniper is based on character in comics who was hunting Jedi, prefered to kill them from a distance.

Imperial Operative is based on several characters who fought in several ways (blaster, knife, bombs) with a stealth field added for flavour

Scoundrel is based on Han Solo, with healing added as a game mechanic

Gunslinger is based on several rogues many of whom (but not all) used two blasters

Commando is based on trooper medics (mostly clone trooper but sme stormtrooper too)

Vanguard is based on heavy blaster wielding Troopers (again mostly clone trooper)

Jedi Guardian is loosely based on the lightsaber wielding of the Jedi in the films

Jedi Sentinal is loosely based on the fights were Anakin wielded two sabers

Jedi Sage is based on the powers the jedi used

Jedi Shadow was created to balance the sith assassin

Should be noted that in the books jedi both used powers like the Sage and wielded lightsabers like the Guardian, and thanks to Luke's influence the new order also like to carry a single blaster in their offhand, to deal with people sneaking up on them.

Also while Sith warriors used less force powers than their sorceror kin, they still had more powers than in this game, Vader was keen on using telekinesis to pelt enemies with objects for example.

Edited by AlexDougherty

Sith Assassin is based off Maul, not KOTOR. And sorcerer was either based off Palpatine or Dooku. Possibly the latter, as Palpantine only has a lightsaber for about five minutes of Revenge of the Sith.

Kotor2 had assassins before Maul even existed, they weilded staffswords rather than staffsabers true, but they cloaked and were very deadly. So Sith Assissins were based on Kotor2, but I will accept that Maul added to the concept.

Sith Sorceror was based more off the comic Sith Sorcerors such as Naga Sadow than Palpatine, although his use of lightning is emphasised in the Sorceror, but again in the comics Sith were constantly throwing lightning at their Jedi foes.

Palpantine only seldom used his lightsaber. He actually lost it on Coruscant, and only used the Force after that. He was able to make continuous lightning, as was Dooku.

He had around six backups, and used another one in the duel against Yoda, which he didn't lose. I do appreciate pointing out the comics, though; that does help, and is actually rather interesting.

Could any of them use Corruption-esque abilities to heal continuously?

Kotor2 had assassins before Maul even existed

Maul had his debut in The Phantom Menace in 1999, Kotor 2 came out in 2005. So unless you live in another dimension, I reckon your statement is fairly impossible to uphold.

But Maul's outfit and agile fighting style seemingly had more influence on the Marauder than on the Assassin, who, as you said, is more influenced by Kotor. Like the Inquisitor in general if you ask me. It reminds me of Darth Traya (and I just looked this up - Darth Traya knew Force Cloak).

Maul had his debut in The Phantom Menace in 1999, Kotor 2 came out in 2005. So unless you live in another dimension, I reckon your statement is fairly impossible to uphold.

But Maul's outfit and agile fighting style seemingly had more influence on the Marauder than on the Assassin, who, as you said, is more influenced by Kotor. Like the Inquisitor in general if you ask me. It reminds me of Darth Traya (and I just looked this up - Darth Traya knew Force Cloak).

Maul was definitely a Sith Warrior, and I think the Marauder should have gotten double-bladed lightsabers as a possibility in addition to two single ones.

Yes, Maul predated KotOR 2 by several years. But the first double-bladed lightsaber in Star Wars canon actually dates back to 1995, when Exar Kun brandished one against his former master during his epic duel in the Senate Rotunda. Before that issue, Kun had actually been shown with a conventional single-bladed lightsaber, although he wore and employed it differently than the other Force users in the series.

Maul was definitely a Sith Warrior, and I think the Marauder should have gotten double-bladed lightsabers as a possibility in addition to two single ones.

I wouldn't say he was 'definitely a Sith Warrior'. Warriors employ medium/heavy armor, and Maul's robes are clearly just that: robes. (Contrast to Obi-Wan Kenobi's use of heavy armor in the Clone Wars TV shows.) Maul, for most of The Phantom Menace, is depicted as a shadowy antagonist who appears out of nowhere. He employs stealth and reconnaissance instead of simply jumping into a fight (viz. the probe droid scenes on Tatooine, and "let them make the first move"). Even his ship, the Scimitar, was described as a "Sith Infiltrator" and came equipped with an advanced cloaking device.

Those all add up to "Sith Assassin" to me, rather than to some sort of Warrior. And indeed, the Assassin class was designed pretty much with Maul in mind, according to dev comments.

As for the Marauder thing, that's a gameplay issue. Having multiple classes on the same side be able to use the exact same weapons isn't a good thing, because those weapons serve as easy, instant identifiers of what class they actually are. If you see somebody with a double-bladed lightsaber in a warzone, you immediately know that it's an Assassin/Shadow and can adjust your tactics accordingly. Allowing Marauders to use doublesabers too erodes that functionality and makes it slightly more difficult to tell classes apart: you don't fight a Smash monkey the same way you fight an assassassbite.

long story short...lore and game mechanics do not always HAVE to jive. Here is what the developers wanted:

force using tank, melee dps, ranged dps, and healing

non-force using tank, melee dps, ranged dps, and healing

With all of these options, everyone playing the game could find something they enjoy playing.

Yes, many of the classes do resemble characters from the movies and the EU, but do not get overly hung up on stuff that does not quite fit.

I wouldn't say he was 'definitely a Sith Warrior'. Warriors employ medium/heavy armor, and Maul's robes are clearly just that: robes. (Contrast to Obi-Wan Kenobi's use of heavy armor in the Clone Wars TV shows.) Maul, for most of The Phantom Menace, is depicted as a shadowy antagonist who appears out of nowhere. He employs stealth and reconnaissance instead of simply jumping into a fight (viz. the probe droid scenes on Tatooine, and "let them make the first move"). Even his ship, the Scimitar, was described as a "Sith Infiltrator" and came equipped with an advanced cloaking device.

Those all add up to "Sith Assassin" to me, rather than to some sort of Warrior. And indeed, the Assassin class was designed pretty much with Maul in mind, according to dev comments.

As for the Marauder thing, that's a gameplay issue. Having multiple classes on the same side be able to use the exact same weapons isn't a good thing, because those weapons serve as easy, instant identifiers of what class they actually are. If you see somebody with a double-bladed lightsaber in a warzone, you immediately know that it's an Assassin/Shadow and can adjust your tactics accordingly. Allowing Marauders to use doublesabers too erodes that functionality and makes it slightly more difficult to tell classes apart: you don't fight a Smash monkey the same way you fight an assassassbite.

I haven't see the Clone Wars cartoon, but Obi-Wan and Anakin, both clear Jedi Knights, wore robes throughout the movies (and Obi-Wan definitely comes across as a Guardian, from his defensive lightsaber style). And IIRC, Asajj Ventress was a major inspiration for the Marauder (I will agree that Maul is definitely not a Juggernaut), and was reasonably lightly armored and with a fighting style based around agility.

I concede the point on the weapons thing, but from what I've seen of the Sith Inquisitor story, it really doesn't feel like Maul. Seeking artifacts, communing with ghosts, deep personal ambition and the frequent use of Force lightning are all traits that never struck me as Maul-like.

The class stories don't always mesh well with each advanced class - Act I of the Consular story is much more applicable to a Sage than a Shadow, for example.

The developers talk about Maul as an inspiration here.

According to creative director James Ohlen, the inquisitor is inspired by Senator Palpatine and Darth Maul, and he claims the class is "lightly armoured, acrobatic, and uses lots of lightning abilities and telekinetics." While this combination of skills might sound strange, given that Palpatine and Maul are quite different in their fighting styles, each class has the ability to branch into two separate subclasses once you reach a certain level

The class concepts are 100% based on canon toons. The lists were provided, so I shan't repeat them here. But the actual characters that inspired the classes were not as restrictive in their abilities. So the in-game powers do not reflect the actual powers displayed by the characters that inspired the classes.

Dooku and Sidious are the best examples. Their ample use of lightning might entice people to call them Sorcerers, but look at their sabre skills, and compare them to the grand total of two lightsabre skills available to the Sorc. And don't you dare call them Sith Assassins, I shall Force Choke you to death ;) Force choke is another example. Nobody doubts Vader's the iconic chokeman, but Dooku is seen employing it as well. And if Palpatine can use the Force to throw the enitre Senate on Yoda's head, why the hell can't he use it to crush a trachea? Here's another fun thing: neither Sith class has a 'throw-stuff-around' power, and yet Sid, Vad, and Tyr have all displayed great mastery at that, as has Obi-wan (iconic Jedi Guardian). I think I made my point, but I could continue :p

So, when I RP my bad-*** Sithies, both Juggs and Sorcs, you see Sorc sabre-masters and Juggs using lightning (like Malgus does). And woe to he who dares indoctrinate me to do otherwise ;)

Funny - ANY discussion is sooner or later turning into an Sith / Dark Side discussion - here as well ...

It's funny how fast everyone forgets about good side characters from both the movies & the Expanded Universe ... At one point, EVERYTHING's again about either Darth Maul, Darth Vader, Darth Tyranus, Darth Nihilus, Darth Bane, Darth Sidious or any other Sith.

Jedi ? Forgettable. They're just not cool enough. Not powerful enough.

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

Funny - ANY discussion is sooner or later turning into an Sith / Dark Side discussion - here as well ...

It's funny how fast everyone forgets about good side characters from both the movies & the Expanded Universe ... At one point, EVERYTHING's again about either Darth Maul, Darth Vader, Darth Tyranus, Darth Nihilus, Darth Bane, Darth Sidious or any other Sith.

Jedi ? Forgettable. They're just not cool enough. Not powerful enough.

There'd be more to talk about if they included eldritch forgotten Jedi sorcery, really. Which I'd absolutely love to hear about.

I concede the point on the weapons thing, but from what I've seen of the Sith Inquisitor story, it really doesn't feel like Maul. Seeking artifacts, communing with ghosts, deep personal ambition and the frequent use of Force lightning are all traits that never struck me as Maul-like.

Yet the emote that goes along with the sith inquisitor seethe is an obvious reference to Darth Maul, who paced from side to side and literally seethed as he awaitied a chance to fight Qui Gon Jinn:

(about 2:20 onwards).

I think from that example alone it is pretty clear that they took at least a heavy influence from Maul as a character for the inquisitor, more than likely for the specifics of the assassin specification alone though.

Edited by Aalin

Sith Sorceror is based on characters from comics

Sith Assassin is based on KOTOR and KOTOR2.

Sith Juggernaut is based on Darth Vader

Sith Marrauder is based on multiple sith, some of which even dual wielded

Bounty hunter Mercenary is based on several BH's including Jango Fett

Bounty Hunter Powertech is based on several BH's including Boba Fett

Imperial Agent Sniper is based on character in comics who was hunting Jedi, prefered to kill them from a distance.

Imperial Operative is based on several characters who fought in several ways (blaster, knife, bombs) with a stealth field added for flavour

Scoundrel is based on Han Solo, with healing added as a game mechanic

Gunslinger is based on several rogues many of whom (but not all) used two blasters

Commando is based on trooper medics (mostly clone trooper but sme stormtrooper too)

Vanguard is based on heavy blaster wielding Troopers (again mostly clone trooper)

Jedi Guardian is loosely based on the lightsaber wielding of the Jedi in the films

Jedi Sentinal is loosely based on the fights were Anakin wielded two sabers

Jedi Sage is based on the powers the jedi used

Jedi Shadow was created to balance the sith assassin

Should be noted that in the books jedi both used powers like the Sage and wielded lightsabers like the Guardian, and thanks to Luke's influence the new order also like to carry a single blaster in their offhand, to deal with people sneaking up on them.

Also while Sith warriors used less force powers than their sorceror kin, they still had more powers than in this game, Vader was keen on using telekinesis to pelt enemies with objects for example.

Well, Han was a gunslinger... If I remember correctly, he even said that he hated sneaking :p

What it looks like to me is that they based the Sith off of the characters, then made republic clones and called them Jedi.

I don't see how that applies to a single one of those archetypes.

You see this complaint come up a lot - or a variant of it, that the Pub stories in general are just inferior copies of Imp originals. It's a bizarre complaint, because there's not that much congruence between them. How in the world do the Knight and Warrior stories, for instance, even begin to look similar? What it does is say more about the people making the complaint than it does about the game.

There'd be more to talk about if they included eldritch forgotten Jedi sorcery, really. Which I'd absolutely love to hear about.

Yes.

But they preferred to include rather eldritch forgotten Sith sorcery instead.

You see this complaint come up a lot - or a variant of it, that the Pub stories in general are just inferior copies of Imp originals. I

To me, it actually is like thiat : The Republic stories are sooo much boring to me ... -

- Soldier picking up people

- Smuggler picking up money

- Sage picking up people and helping them

- Jedi sent from weapons facility to weapons facility

- it's basically all that. There's nothing needed to add to describe the cores of these stories.

The Black Talon alone was an eye-opener to me. Why weren't they able to do SUCH a story into the Republic ?

The Republic is totally devoid of intriguue, of drama, of anything emotional. (Except the Jedi Sentinel/Guardian, maybe.)

The Republic stories can be brought down to one word : Tasks.

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

I don't see how that applies to a single one of those archetypes.

You see this complaint come up a lot - or a variant of it, that the Pub stories in general are just inferior copies of Imp originals. It's a bizarre complaint, because there's not that much congruence between them. How in the world do the Knight and Warrior stories, for instance, even begin to look similar? What it does is say more about the people making the complaint than it does about the game.

The Consular has a bunch of telekinetic abilities to match the Inquisitor's lightning, when I don't know if we've ever seen a Jedi fight solely with telekinesis before. The Knight has a "Force Lift" power that comes out of nowhere to match the Warrior's Force Choke. And so on. I think it was in ability design, not story design.