Playing SWTOR

Jagemakage

Is there any way to play this game without putting the files into Program files? I'm at work and can't access the program files on my computer, but have nothing to do...

Maybe this is a dumb question...

Why would you play this game at work?

Also, what work do you do that you have such a good gaming comp there?

Edited by VitalityPrime

As the files can be copied and pasted into and out of folders for the purposes of backup, I would think that all you would have to do is paste the files into any location and then create a shortcut to the launcher in that location. If that does not work then there is obviously some hard coded location information in the launcher program and then the answer is "sorry you are SOL." Edited by psandak

I haven't tried with SW:TOR but years ago back with vanilla WoW I used to have a copy of the game on a thumb drive so I could play during class or in the computer rec room between classes at college. You could try making a copy of the SW:TOR directory and placing it on a large thumb drive or external hard-drive. Just be aware it may be slow to load, and when ever you update with a patch you might have to recopy the directory to the drive.

you can copy your SWTOR folder to a small usb hard disk and start it from there, no problem at all. Play it all the time from my office comp.;)

Ok, I'm going to try it in a little bit, if anyone would like to expand on this i.e. does it require an install after the files are transferred? Because sometimes you have to reinstall the game over the transferred files to have it work correctly.

We'll see what happens.

Ok, I'm going to try it in a little bit, if anyone would like to expand on this i.e. does it require an install after the files are transferred? Because sometimes you have to reinstall the game over the transferred files to have it work correctly.

We'll see what happens.

I've got some games that I had to install to my thumbdrive at home that worked at- well, work. You could try that too. Let me know how it goes because I'm a bit curious myself! I mean, at the very least, I could craft during the slow times!

:D

Ok, so I tried it, but the computer says I have to run such programs as an administrator, which I am not, so it did not, in fact, work, although from a pure installation standpoint, it would have been fine. I just don't have priviliges to run "alien" applications on a company computer.

Ok, so I tried it, but the computer says I have to run such programs as an administrator, which I am not, so it did not, in fact, work, although from a pure installation standpoint, it would have been fine. I just don't have priviliges to run "alien" applications on a company computer.

Yes that might be stumbling block at work as you often have to be admin to install stuff correctly and to run them. Also your works gateway firewall may block such activity anyway. I would be very careful running a game on works computer check company policy, people have been sacked over such things, safer to do when not connected online to your works network on a Laptop. ;)

With the way a lot of companies lock down their users PCs, if you don't have admin access to your PC then you won't be able to install anything on your PC. That's to cut down on the crap that people tend to install knowingly (or unknowingly) on their PCs and the time IT has to spend trying the clean up your PC or they just re-image it. :p

There are also companies (like the one that I work for) who put encryption software on your work PCs so if you tried to connect a thumb drive or external drive, it'll encrypt and password protect it. If you choose not to allow that to happen then the external drive or thumb drive is readonly.

Edited by Anamurra

To add even if you did mange to install and run the game , your works network administrators will be keen to find why your Desktop work PC is taking half the available network bandwith, you will get found out.: It ofcourse depends where your work and what their misuse of company PC's policy entails, but I would say better go on side of caution and don't take the risk.;)

Yep Admin right may be required to run the app and you are of luck then. I run the game from a comp where TOR is NOT installed, i just start from the external HD. TOR does only require a very small amount of bandwith so it should fly under the radar in this aspect, other monitoring software may detect it however. Ports may be closed so you can not get to the servers. All depends on the setup in your network, which we don't know of course.

Well, even when I installed the game to my flash drive and just tried to run it from there the computer does not let any applications it is unfamiliar with run without admin access. The firewall would have been no problem, neither would the bandwidth. I have an anonymous IP thanks to good connections with the IT guy, so my internet is untrackable.

But, without those Admin privileges, I was screwed, and couldn't access the internet via my laptop either. Sigh... No SWTOR at work for my last two days.