FTP is Too "Free". Please adjust model.

Klarick

You can play the ENTIRE story line of EVERY class for free!!! You dont even have to buy the game -- like you do for GW2 for instance.

Im sorry, your complaint was.......?

Well for starters, they would have to delete characters everytime they wanted to start a new story since the limit is 2 (actually soon they will be limiting it to 2). But before you say Bioware is giving away way too much, you need to understand how MMOs make money/work.

In almost every other MMO, players rush to level cap to enjoy end game content or pvp. That's what players pay for. While there were several other underlining issues, people left because of a lack of things to do at end game. There weren't enough HM FPs, OPs or warzones to keep MMO players subbed. Going free to play (and charging for warzone/operation access) brings some of these players back, since the cost is fairly low (or atleast has them watching the progress of the game), while Bioware has more time to catch up on content. Since most of them left we have Explosive Content and Terror from Beyond. In about a month or so, they'll have a new War zone. And hopefully soon, they add a few more of each.

Now, why give the 1-50 away for free? It's simple, it isn't a reason raiders/pvpers left or stayed. It was nice, but no raider/pvper stayed subbed for the story. But lots of single player rpg fans didn't play this game because of subscriptions. Many including myslef did try it, but a large number did. What Bioware is hoping for is more people who didn't play the game prior are open to trying it. More SPRPG fans level from 1-50 and then decide, hey I like flash points, or pvp is pretty fun or I want to try a SM OP. That's why 1-50 is given away because the story draws in customers, but it doesn't keep them.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i actually agree with OP, but at the same time i disagree. UI and customer service and credit cap should not be this heavily restricted, but imo restricting all FP and WZ would be fine. let them buy 20 FP/WZ pass for 200cc or a storymode FP for 200, 300 more to open it in hard more. Then remove max FP/WZ pr week.

planet storyquests could cost cc to open, lots of things could, but actionbars ? No custumer service, no fleet pass. (what happens when they get locked into someone elses spaceship, no CS and no fleetpass) Cant equip item they get from their quests ? Let items be free, then put a price on the quest.

Edited by Petnil
typo

Technically, yeah. Spend 5 bucks on anything in the store. It bumps your f2p status up to preferred giving you an extra quick bar and a slightly larger credit cap.

yea, but even if u are preferred, can't you buy a third quick bar slot account wide. seems like it's a dumb decision to subscribe just for that, has to be more.

i actually agree with OP, but at the same time i disagree. UI and customer service and credit cap should not be this heavily restricted, but imo restricting all FP and WZ would be fine. let them buy 20 FP/WZ pass for 200cc or a storymode FP for 200, 300 more to open it in hard more. Then remove max FP/WZ pr week.

planet storyquests could cost cc to open, lots of things could, but actionbars ? No custumer service, no fleet pass. (what happens when they get locked into someone elses spaceship, no CS and no fleetpass) Cant equip item they get from their quests ? Let items be free, then put a price on the quest.

I'm sorry, but if somone wants unlimited FP and WZ they should likely just sub. What's that $10.00 a month? Add Ops and that's the cost of a subscription. No way the total of all 3 should be less than a subscription.

Dear Bioware,

As a Founder and subscriber, I'm a little dismayed that you are willing to give away so much of the game, that I pay for each month. Dont get me wrong, I like FTP options as I do think they are beneficial to the ongoing development of a game. However, the path you have chosen is unpredented in how much it gives for nothing.

A person can play the entire storyline of every class in the game, on either side of the conflict, without paying a dime! Really? That's a bit much IMO, and sort of a slap to us that pay monthly. As a suggestion I would like to see a more LOTRO type of model where a FTP'r has to buy quest packs and zone unlocks in order to progress. This method allows the FTP'ers a choice in what parts of the game they want to play WITHOUT angering those that pay a monthly subscription.

What you have done here is decide to just give the game away. I trust you know what you are doing here, but I, for one, am not too crazy about it.

Thank you,

Klarick

FOUNDER

as a closed beta tester, founder, and subscriber I will ask you to stop trolling.

Ugh.

I'm a founder too and I am very glad the best part of this game is free. The model as it is isn't horrible, but it's still very limiting and the number of threads about nickle and diming the player base as is is a good representation of how the community feels as a whole.

And the comparison to LOTRO? Wrong, wrong, wrong. F2P players get access to the entire base game. You pay for the expansion packs. SWTOR doesn't have any expansion packs yet, unless you count the HK51 update, in which case you DO have to pay for it, so its effectively identical, but with much less quality of life features.

Quickbars anyone? Hide head slot? Jesus.

Yeah, I'm just going to point of that you are 100% wrong... LOTRO's F2P was x10 more restrictive then this game's F2P,.

LOTRO's F2P model consisted of you getting the starter zones free, and the rest of the zones with NO quests in them without buying the zones, all you could do was explore them essentially making levelling impossible unless you bought the questing zone packs or subscribed.. Oh and they also locked out two of the classes as well as the entire PvP game (Which was quite poor anyway), oh oh and don't forget being severely limited on inventory space, bank slots, gold, fast travelling AND mounts.. so I'd say SWTOR's F2P model is far superior in regards to any other game i've seen so far minus Guild Wars 2 which is a whole other beast

I have never seen a less restrictive F2P MMO in my life that wasn't built from the ground up as a F2P game, I can't believe people are complaining so much about the F2P model of SWTOR, sure you are limited on the side activites and cosmetics but at least you can level to 50 without paying a cent, obviously F2P isn't meant for the hardcore players who want to do a load of warzones/FPs/Ops.. or you know.. the game would go bankrupt due to no revenue and no reason to subscribe

Seriously grow up and stop whining people, no game has a perfect F2P model and if it did, it'd be shut down due to lack of revenue because people don't feel the need to spend any money.

Edited by SharpG

Yeah, I'm just going to point of that you are 100% wrong... LOTRO's F2P was x10 more restrictive then this game's F2P,.

LOTRO's F2P model consisted of you getting the starter zones free, and the rest of the zones with NO quests in them without buying the zones, all you could do was explore them essentially making levelling impossible unless you bought the questing zone packs or subscribed.. Oh and they also locked out two of the classes as well as the entire PvP game (Which was quite poor anyway), oh oh and don't forget being severely limited on inventory space, bank slots, gold, fast travelling AND mounts.. so I'd say SWTOR's F2P model is far superior in regards to any other game i've seen so far minus Guild Wars 2 which is a whole other beast

I have never seen a less restrictive F2P MMO in my life that wasn't built from the ground up as a F2P game, I can't believe people are complaining so much about the F2P model of SWTOR, sure you are limited on the side activites and cosmetics but at least you can level to 50 without paying a cent, obviously F2P isn't meant for the hardcore players who want to do a load of warzones/FPs/Ops.. or you know.. the game would go bankrupt due to no revenue and no reason to subscribe

Seriously grow up and stop whining people, no game has a perfect F2P model and if it did, it'd be shut down due to lack of revenue because people don't feel the need to spend any money.

I left lotro about the F2P time. I could be mistaken but I believe former subscribers got everything unlocked up through Moria (if they bought Moria as well). Again, Im not positive on this but I could of sworn thats what I heard.

I left lotro about the F2P time. I could be mistaken but I believe former subscribers got everything unlocked up through Moria (if they bought Moria as well). Again, Im not positive on this but I could of sworn thats what I heard.

Yeah I remember something like that being said but it didn't work that way, if you bought the box you got the 30 days of sub time and preferred status after the sub ran out.. SWTOR gives you all the zones and the main story line for free..

Edited by SharpG

You had to buy the box to get all that content before moria (This is only the quests in the zones) IIRC but you didn't get moria.. SWTOR gives you all the zones and the main story line for free..

yeah, im really not sure, i would have to look it up as it has been a long time. IMO, I would rather pay for quest unlocks, like lets say by chapters or even by world, then to pay for UI features and other little stupid stuff.

yeah, im really not sure, i would have to look it up as it has been a long time. IMO, I would rather pay for quest unlocks, like lets say by chapters or even by world, then to pay for UI features and other little stupid stuff.

That's the thing.. LOTRO restricted a lot of the little stupid stuff too like your gold limit, character slots, INVENTORY space, banks, player housing, classes you could play, you couldn't even use horses or fast travelling either, it was EXTREMELY restrictive in every area. FAR FAR worse then here I can tell you that for a fact.. SWTOR F2Pers have it quite good

Edited by SharpG

You get starter regions and lone lands and thats it.

That's the thing.. LOTRO restricted a lot of the little stupid stuff too like your gold limit, character slots, INVENTORY space, banks, player housing, classes you could play, you couldn't even use horses or fast travelling either, it was EXTREMELY restrictive in every area. FAR FAR worse then here I can tell you that for a fact.. SWTOR F2Pers have it quite good

Dont mind character slots, inventory space, and all the things you said here... cept for maybe horses. TBH, the only thing I feel is not right with this F2P model is UI slot restriction and restricted loot...cant loot nor wear without paying extra... that to me is silly.

here:
Purchasers of the Mines of Moria™ expansion get access to the Mines of Moria region and content, premium classes (Rune-Keeper and Warden), legendary items feature, Tier 6 crafting feature, 2 extra character slots and a level cap of 60. Purchasers of the Siege of Mirkwood™ expansion get access to the Siege of Mirkwood region and content, a level cap of 65 and the Siege of Mirkwood skirmishes.

here:

Oooh right that's what it was, you get all that BUT you DON'T get the whole region of Eregion before that so you're pretty much screwed because you can't level to that content without either buying the content packs or subscribing

You sure about that? I swore if you bought the moria box you had access to all of that and everything before it.

The Moria box was an expansion, so yeah. You would get that zone too if you bought it, but you wouldn't get any of the zones before. They had a package deal for a while called path of the fellowship where you could get trollshaws, eregion and moria but that was right before the isengard xpac

Edited by DirtyDusty

The Moria box was an expansion, so yeah. You would get that zone too if you bought it.

Thats what Im saying, I had already bought it and mirkwood before F2P hit. So i had access to it all... or I dunno cus I didnt stick once F2P came out. Couldnt stand the constant advertisements even though I was subbed.

Oooh right that's what it was, you get all that BUT you DON'T get the whole region of Eregion before that so you're pretty much screwed because you can't level to that content without either buying the content packs or subscribing

Think I read that they changed that later to include it to former subscribers.

Thats what Im saying, I had already bought it and mirkwood before F2P hit. So i had access to it all... or I dunno cus I didnt stick once F2P came out. Couldnt stand the constant advertisements even though I was subbed.

sorry i misread your post and edited mine. I was a subscriber too and i quit because it got too expensive, too much legendary item stuff that you either had to do a mindnumbing grind for or purchase on the store. It went way P2W before i had enough and unsubbed. Most guys in my kin were lowbie f2p from other countries who either grinded Gondoman skirm all day to lvl or just RPed all day long. Nice guys but i really couldn't do any content with them because they didn't have it.

sorry i misread your post and edited mine. I was a subscriber too and i quit because it got too expensive, too much legendary item stuff that you either had to do a mindnumbing grind for or purchase on the store. It went way P2W before i had enough and unsubbed. Most guys in my kin were lowbie f2p from other countries who either grinded Gondoman skirm all day to lvl or just RPed all day long. Nice guys but i really couldn't do any content with them because they didn't have it.

Damn shame because Lotro was a really good game. I saw the riders of rohan exapansion and that looked pretty good too. Im a big lotro fan of the game, books and movies. I really wanted to see the entire story but F2P just turned me south. Much like it is doing here. I cant play a game that I feel I have to purchase stupid **** as a subscriber just to keep playing. Full blown expansions, no problem. Weak content just to generate cash, no thanks. If its full blown, ill reconsider. Until that point, Ill remain with my stance. I wont be burned twice.

Damn shame because Lotro was a really good game. I saw the riders of rohan exapansion and that looked pretty good too. Im a big lotro fan of the game, books and movies. I really wanted to see the entire story but F2P just turned me south. Much like it is doing here. I cant play a game that I feel I have to purchase stupid **** as a subscriber just to keep playing. Full blown expansions, no problem. Weak content just to generate cash, no thanks. If its full blown, ill reconsider. Until that point, Ill remain with my stance. I wont be burned twice.

Totally agree with you.