2.6 Galactic Starfighter updates

-KeggER-

Charged Plating will be worthless as long as burst laser cannon entirely ignores armor. Maybe even as long as slug does.

The issue is, a game without the armor pen feature absolutely unkillable charged plating strike fighters. It's over 90% DR for over 2/3rds of the time, and it's totally possible to dodge the remaining time.

Fair enough and I certainly respect not wanting ion railguns to have a buff. Still I'd rather see the existing and much hated ion railgun remain the only AOE CC by adjusting it so it disables mines/drones too than have more AOE CCs added (operating on the theory that AOE CCs will just make GSF progressively less fun as more are added).

I'd rather all CC were removed, especially this horrendous AOE CC, and railguns as a whole fixed. But I guess that's possibly more idealism than realism.

Charged Plating will be worthless as long as burst laser cannon entirely ignores armor. Maybe even as long as slug does.

The issue is, a game without the armor pen feature absolutely unkillable charged plating strike fighters. It's over 90% DR for over 2/3rds of the time, and it's totally possible to dodge the remaining time.

Slug is a bigger threat to charged plating because you can't predict it and thus can't have your cooldown up. Also, charged plating is just another example of why there should be grades of armor penetration, not just 100% or 0%.

EMP missile will have the same main problem as ion railgun: it's not fun to play against. Fortunately, because it's a missile, it's fifty times harder to land one than it is the ion railgun... oh, wait, people are already encouraged to throw these at drones and mines. Well, alright then.

Minimum charge on railguns solves nothing, even if that minimum is 100%. Love taps might be gone, but banning a target from the game from outside of LoS is just unfair. Also, how does this interact with the current mechanic of a railgun firing when you run out of energy? Are love taps going to return in the form of intentionally draining your own weapon power so the game spams your shots for you? And, of course, there's half a dozen other problems with railguns that this doesn't even pretend to address.

I would give various unspecified favors to get into a teamspeak conversation with one of the devs, just so I can at least confirm whether or not they care about our feedback.

Good point on the gun automatically firing when you run out of energy. Bring that up on the PTS forums maybe?

actually though I'm a little bit worried on how they chose to address the love tap issue. If I'm NOT on ion gun I use love taps to finish off a severely weakened opponent, it's the only way to get off a shot at a barrel rolling scout coming straight at me, I might not be able to full charge a shot at them, but I can get off a partially charge shot to damage them before they're on me.

I'd preferred just to debuffs have a minimum charge or be scaled on charge level.

Edited by DarthVindictus

I feel like the devs read all those nerf burst lasers and dfield scout threads, but rather than changing those they decided they would just give everyone else some new toy to completely screw over scouts with.

Also I think AoE effect weapons like ion and the coming EMP missile should not be allowed to AoE off of Drones and Turrets. I.E if people are LoS'ing to defend their node you should not be allowed to just spam AoE at the turrets and take out the defenders that way. In short players should not be punished because the Ai can't dodge.

my 2c

Edited by Zoom_VI

I disagree with not allowing them to target drones, mines and turrets. The range on EMPs is not so long that you can't see the enemy approaching. The same can be said for Ion Rails now. If you are a scout defending a node and do not see the enemy approaching to EMP/Ion your node, you aren't doing your job.

What these will do is force people off the node to defend it. We won't see so much satellite humping, and instead will see more intercept and destroy, which is what (imo) scouts should be doing to defend nodes now.

The problem we have now is that you are stupid to leave a node to defend it. After the upcoming changes you'll be stupid to hug the node or worse, park on it after capture.

I.E if people are LoS'ing to defend their node you should not be allowed to just spam AoE at the turrets and take out the defenders that way. In short players should not be punished because the Ai can't dodge.

Hmm i wonder whether the following patch note is somehow related to the above:

Mines and Drones are now hidden from ship’s Sensor Ring unless they are targeted by a player.

Hmm i wonder whether the following patch note is somehow related to the above:

From the sound of that, they'll still be able to target them. I think that particular note is just an effort to reduce the clutter on your screen. From my limited experience w/ bombers on the PTS, if you had a couple of bombers at a satellite, all the mines/drones, combined w/ all the ships flying around, resulted in so many icons on your HUD that it became almost unreadable.

Another Change many have probably not noticed, but a fully upgraded Charged Plating now only has 20% bleed through instead of 40% meaning Charge Plating is also likely to be more useful then it has been in the past. Especially since i dont think mines have armor piercing, and Shield Penetration is becoming much weaker across the board.

Charged plating will always be useless as long as 100% armor ignore remains on spam weapons. Missiles and torps its fine to have that anything else its absurd.

Charged plating will always be useless as long as 100% armor ignore remains on spam weapons. Missiles and torps its fine to have that anything else its absurd.

It's late, and I'm tired so I apologize if this is incoherent or seems rather idiotic but I was under the impression that Charged plating was currently useless because of its bleedthrough; which combined with shield piercing made it as if you had no shields at all, not because 100% armor piercing was ignoring it. I thought that since charged plating is a shield component armor piercing doesn't actually affect it. It was also my impression that armor piercing only affected armor components, while shield piercing affects shields.

I'll admit though I could be completely wrong. Otherwise, if my understanding was correct then a weapon with 100% armor piercing should be able to neutralize the passive evasion bonus from light armor, making it more accurate in a fight with a scout.

It's late, and I'm tired so I apologize if this is incoherent or seems rather idiotic but I was under the impression that Charged plating was currently useless because of its bleedthrough; which combined with shield piercing made it as if you had no shields at all, not because 100% armor piercing was ignoring it. I thought that since charged plating is a shield component armor piercing doesn't actually affect it. It was also my impression that armor piercing only affected armor components, while shield piercing affects shields.

I'll admit though I could be completely wrong. Otherwise, if my understanding was correct then a weapon with 100% armor piercing should be able to neutralize the passive evasion bonus from light armor, making it more accurate in a fight with a scout.

Nope the only thing armor pen does is neutralize all Hull damage reduction thus why people think Charge plating is useless the on use ability wont do anything to stop the damage of the armor piercing weapons. Which is true, but i still wouldnt write it off with the change to the bleed through damage and with the fact that Armor Piercing weapons arent always as common as some seem to think.

That said its not neccisarily going to be all that useful, but at the same time it may very well not be useless any more even on servers with armor piercing, because with the change the Shields WILL drop before the Hull does so all it is doing is giving larger amount of EHP which can be useful when you can heal hull damage now thanks to bombers and Repair drones. All-in-all I am taking a wait and see mentality and I suggest the same approach for the rest of the people.