Crashes To Desktop, Is There A Solution?

Korithras

adding more ram isnt really the issue , this is a memory leak that will continue to destroy ram and will only make your sessions last a bit longer. Ive been pretty happy with this game for awhile now and think its heading in the right direction but this is a deal breaker to me as its been around for way to long and im getting past the point of frustration and into the point of im about to speak with my wallet and hopefully get some of this horrible tech team on notice.

Im on windows 7 64 with 8 gigs of ram and a decent gaming system , its not some low end needing ram system or slow proc so its not my machine at all. Games do not use more than 2 to 3 gigs of ram and no reason SWTOR should be burning through gig after gig the longer you play finally crashing to desktop when your system cannot handle it anymore.

Here is some things that might be an attributing factor that im going to test myself. I use SweetFX for my DX9 and am going to remove it and play awhile(god this game is atrocious without it) and see if removing the ram uses with LAA is causing the extra ram issues.

Also I wonder if its any one graphics setting that is leaking resources and causing the crashes , I know in some games shadows are done really piss poorly and lead to overtaxing the gpu or cpu if they are bound to cpu. But i have a feeling this is not the case being memory is more for system files and not dx9 files.

Lemme throw this out there and see it this helps. All of us are playing with Multi Core Processors now in our Rigs. Have you guys set the game so that it is only using the required two cores to run. I know that if a program is only designed to run on a two core system, and you have eight cores, it could cause an issue.

Check your Affinity settings. There is a "how to" description here.

Lemme throw this out there and see it this helps. All of us are playing with Multi Core Processors now in our Rigs. Have you guys set the game so that it is only using the required two cores to run. I know that if a program is only designed to run on a two core system, and you have eight cores, it could cause an issue.

Check your Affinity settings. There is a "how to" description here.

I ran some tests myself tonight in between my niners beating the hell out of the bears! (had to throw that in there) and my game maxed out starts at around 1.5 gigs of ram used. I put low player count in there as having to draw more players means you use more system ram not graphics. For about an hour i watched a slow uptick in ram used until it hit about 1.8 gigs used then it shut off.

This is a perfect example of faulty coding and a memory leak that isnt going to change unless Bioware fixes it. Everything works fine until the magic 1.8 mark then its instant crash. I also did this running without sweetfx installed and with low settings to see if there is any difference but both other tests do the exact same thing just different speeds. Its def a memory leak issue and has to be fixed by the devs in a hotfix or something soon. If people been having this issue since beta maybe its time seriously to lay off the tech help and hire some new ones because this is not something that should still be in game for many many patch cycles.

As was said above, turning down your graphics does not help the memory leak issue. Neither does using fullscreen, or fullscreen windowed, but it seems to lag less in fullscreen windowed for me.

The memory leak was reintroduced in patch 1.4 for many of us. I had no issues from launch until 1.4. The same leak was there in beta, but it was fixed before launch for me.

well, i've been playing only for 2 hours and had 7 desktop crashes today.. this is not caused by my system but the game's itself, which has became a crashfest since the release of 1.4.. now i'm thinking about unsubscribing, thank you all, dear lazy developers.

no wonder why you lose subscribers so fast :cool:

There's no solution. BW pretends it's our systems. They'll tell you to run checkdisk or memtest or some other ridiculous 'solution.'

I CTD every 1-2hrs playing TOR. Since the F2P update, even my launcher crashes half the time now. (and no, re-downloading the 'fixing' the launcher did nothing)

Yet I edit and render HD video, as well as play every other game out there, with no problems whatsoever.

TOR seems to be pretty much fail across the board.

:rolleyes:

snap

after the F2P patch i played for 8 hrs straight (doing HK stuff and ****) and i crashed 9 times, and just for the record its getting worse each patch, i neva used to crash at all at launch, but each patch i crash more and more. with 1.5 im crashing almost once an hour

This game need at least 4GB of ram and x64 OS ... but BW don't want to acknowledge that in minimum specs.

Thats not the problem. I have 4GB of RAM, an AMD 6750M videocard.. Windows 7 64bit, SSD harddisk.

And I still crash regularly to the desktop with some windows low on memory warning.. Since beta. :jawa_evil:

okay its not ram that is the issue causing this , run the mentioned memory fixer in this thread at the end of page 3 and you can see for yourself. It will still crash to desktop every few hours no matter how much ram is being used. Ive even put some of the game into virtual memory using swtor-unleashed and it still crashes to desktop every couple of hours. This issue needs to be resolved its been going on for months now without any official dev response in the sticky thread and its experienced by a large portion of the community.

Your hardware wouldn't have much effect beyond a certain size if it's a matter of running out of address space; the maximum a given 32-bit process can have is 4GB period (and that's on a 64-bit OS). I have 16GB of RAM, a 64-bit OS, an SSD drive, and I can still have rare crashes to desktop.

However, please remember that just because the game crashes for one person every so often does not mean that it is the same bug that means the game crashes every so often for you. A CTD just means the process crashed. There are lots of ways to crash processes. It doesn't come with any more information than that (barring actual callstack, crash dump, that sort of thing).

If you want to help, make sure Bioware get the crash dumps, give them your dxdiag, and let them know what you were doing around the crash. I know it sounds trivial and trite, but really, that sort of information genuinely is needed to try and fix this sort of thing, because I can assure you, the legion of players out there not crashing means it's not just a matter of 'oh obviously it should do this'.

Prior to 1.4 the only times i can ever remember CTD was during WPVP on Ilum b4 1.2 with major lag, otherwise an occasional crash when loading into planets mainly Corellia.

After 1.4 crashed maybe 1-2 times a week, since 1.5 had 4-5 crashes since launch 1 while just browsing the GTN after being logged in for less than 20mins, and others when running around on fleet or exiting HM FPs.

All graphics are set to lowest setting, using Vista 32bit with 4GB ram, AMD Quad core, 1Gb ATI video.

Nothing has changed with system other than updating video drivers after problems started with 1.4 so it is definetly on their end

having the same issues here since 1.5 i could play without any issues before. idk how it was with 1.4 cuz i just came back since the game turned f2p.

I have Win7 32bit a gtx 460 1gb and 4gb ram. (yes a 32bit system can only adress 3gb of it) I can play for around 8 hrs till the game takes up to 2.3 - 2.4 gb of ram and sends me back to my desktop. With each hour that passes it is noticable that the game runs slower, loading time increases and also it becomes more laggy. The first 4 hrs are pretty smoth after that its getting slower.

So this is def a memory leak issue and we cant do a damn thing about it. BW has to take action and check the code.

My girlfriend had a similar issue months ago with ctd's. Switching compatibility mode worked for her. Since that time, however, there has been an update (specific one I can't remember) that resolved the issue for her, no longer requiring the compatibility mode switch--so not sure how much relevance this will have for you. You might give it a try though if you haven't already.