Starting to do Operations

I've been playing this game a month after it came out and i tended to do everything solo, eventually friends started playing and started to do flashpoints and HM flashpoints. After awhile of doing these i want to start doing Operations but my friends are not always on so i find it difficult to find groups that will let me run with them in Operations. luckily i completed my first EV last night, on Sm with Tionese and a couple of Columi parts. I saved up enough coms to be able to finish off my Columi set and had enough credits to buy Rakata implants, war hero bracers, ear piece, and Sniper rifle, ( maxed Warzone comes before hitting 50) now i want to move up in PvE gear but it confuses me with the mixture of gear for Sniper. i know the set bonus i want is field tech but it seems that i can only get the set bonus from the campaign armoring. should i wait on using coms to buy that armoring or should i try to get Rakata gear first?

As well I'm a big on Learn by doing attitude, and it seems that it makes it difficult to join operations because i have the sense that people will get upset if i am not doing what should be done. This being my first MMO that i have played i know some stuff like not breaking CCs is one thing that should be avoided. ON on that note is there anyone that will be willing to let me run some operations with them that way i can learn how they work.

I play on the server Prophecy of Five and i am a Marksmen Sniper named Give.

Any information will be helpful on what i should do.

Thank You.

(Note I have read these posts)

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=409021

Well some guilds are helpful, some are helpful but let's say don't get very much done, some guilds are helpful but their ops are at different levels from where you want to be, etc.

So along with that suggestion to join a guild, which I agree with, I would suggest that you ask questions and try to get an idea if they are willing to help you with starting out ops and what level they are at themselves. Since it;s your first MMO as well, would they be willing to teach you about the basic expectations, etc.

IMHO you're probably going to feel like a liability and/ or not learn much, if you join a super helpful guild that is only working on NiM EC and maybe runs you through SM EV occasionally as a favor...

I would also recommend that you make a post in the server forums for your server.

http://www.swtor.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=309

I wholeheartedly support the join a guild suggestion, but I do agree with Elyssandra there are pitfalls to joining a guild. You should not be just looking for a guild that will take you, you need to ask questions and make sure it is the guild for you. Read their rules, talk to the officers and talk to the rank and file members. They shouldn’t just be checking you out, you have to check them out.

IMHO you're probably going to feel like a liability and/ or not learn much,

To the first part, don't worry about that, learn from your mistakes and ask questions.

As to the second, you will get as much out of it as you put into it. My guild tried to do a fun runs every week to give people experience and for comms. We will take fresh 50, new members and fresh 50 alts on these runs and a few geared veterans to fill out the run out. We usually don’t even mess with SM EV or SM KP and bring them straight into HM EV and HM KP. The group leader is very good at explaining the fights and patiently answering questions. It is always a cake walk, but we get them geared and the next week we will do it with them, more fresh 50’s and fewer geared veterans, until hopefully they have formed their own group.

Like Teberius wrote we were all new and getting new players ready for the harder content is important to any guilds progress. People come and go from the groups and the game. Keeping new player rotating in, getting them geared and trained ensures the continuation of the guild progression. It can be the nicest, most friendly guild in the world, but hopefully you are helping them out as much as they are helping you out.

Edited by mikebevo

thanks for all the advice its helpful, after looking around the forums reading what other people are saying about he fun is helpful as well. i guess i will have to "shop around" to find a guild that fits they way i play and the time frame im on the game. i do play a lot but i work a lot as well.