smuggler story is bad

simplius

What boggles my mind, actually, is why the OP is so hard-up on the fact that some people like the story that he doesn't.

I mean, I don't, personally, like the agent story. Seriously, I know loads of people consider it the be-all story of the game, better than any of the others. But me, personally? Nah, I can't stand its James-Bond-meets-Jason-Bourne feel.

However, I respect that other people don't feel the same way. Heh, I go play the stories I like and leave the Bond-wannabe's to their favorite, rather.

I mean it, OP: do what my bounty hunter did, and steal a dang ship. Get over it!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IIRC, Scoundrel/Operative DPS builds were the first AC to get repeatedly pummeled by the nerfbat out of the gate. Add the perceived complexity of the cover system, and heavy demographic lean toward Imperials game-wide and it's not exactly surprising that Smugglers fell to the bottom of the population graph.

I also note that the Agent was the least-played on the Imperial side despite it being widely regarded as having the best story of all 8 classes.

And the most popular at the time? Sith Sorceror, despite several threads putting the Inquisitor story near the bottom of the list.

Like I said, OP getting that one specific fact right had a lot more to do with coincidence than anything else. A line about monkeys, typewriters and Shakespeare comes to mind...

seriously?? have u ever SEEN a star wars movie?

no i didnt get far,,and u seem to forget the newbie planet

i know we get ships a t lvl 17, but it would have been FAR better, to simply not HAVE a ship from start

jedis dont start with a lightsaber either, it would have made SO much more sense,,both storywise

and in gameplay,,to go out and GET a ship , rather than getting a stolen ship back,,and no, han solo

would NOT have done it this way,,look at the remastered edition of ANH,,han actually provokes

jabba before takeoff,,,but here im supposed to just get on his trail and grind missions to get it back?

how many stolen cars disappear on earth,,and now imsupposed to find a single ship in the galaxy?

good luck with that,,no han would have :

gotten money for a bountyhunter

or a new ship, and try to chase the thief

omg lol i hope ur kidding or u r really dumb Han Solo would chase the Falcon to the end of the galaxy its his honey not just a replaceable object!!

• 2 weeks later...

This thread made me laugh a lot of you have some funny cynical senses of humor. My kind of people. As for the smuggler story being bad. Well honestly its my favorite. I'm not a fan of jedi personally. So I knew before launch smuggler was for me. I didn't even pay attention to the fact that the ship got stolen because the ship is "not" what makes the smuggler. You get to embark on a awesome space adventure with blasters, women, and one liners. Searching for treasure. And making covert deliveries to help you search. You keep comparing real life to the game. Well how about this. If you were a racer is your life defined by your car? Or the fact that you like to live fast and free and in the moment? Surely the later and that's the heart of the smuggler story. Going on a fun space adventure as a sky captain. And plenty of games give you something and take it away. Like god of war. Or final fantasy has done it.

Plenty of games show you what you could have and build you up to it. I garuntee if the smuggler story had you running around earning a ship. The OP would be posting "SMUGGLER STORY BAD I'M JUST SOME STUPID ERRAND BOY NOT LIKE HAN SOLO AT ALL.

Han solo is ONE smuggler what about how dash rendar would have handled it or lando himself. I think you are putting way to much importance on the ship. And for the record what is the obsession with earning a lightsaber? Its old if I create an old man looking jedi I'm supposed to believe that I'm a padawan still poking flesh raiders with a toy sword... lame. Lightsabers like the ship are so inconsequential to the story it is silly to give them so much importance. That's just my two cents the smuggler story made me smile I really connected with it.

Ps. Yeah consular story wth. Jedi knight goes an a sith concil hunting mission... consular curing geriatric jedi from some plauge from some guy know one knows or see or really cares about. Sigh. And yeah with so many lightsaber lovers there is no doubt that smuggler is lowest played class.

• 6 months later...
I completely agree with you on this, nice to see someone with a little common sense. And just to add to it, the smuggler can go through Ord Mantell and Coruscant in less than a week, and there is TONS more to the story than your ship getting stolen and chasing it back - personally, I think it was the best way you were going to get your ship (every other time I've received a ship on any other class, someone just hands you one - not very exciting). So don't judge the whole story on the first two planets, keep playing and you might like it!

This is STILL going?

Anybody who says the smuggler story is bad has ZERO sense of adventure, and Really doesn't understand what a smuggler is all about.

Fast ships, fast blasters, fast women and making money hand over fist.

Story has all that and more.

Two planets. TWO, OP, TWO.

Esseles is not a planet, it is an optional flashpoint. You get your ship on Coruscant, once you finish the story there. You should be around the level 16 area at this point, if you did the side quests. I haven't played the smuggler and I have no intention to as of yet, but holy crap there's so little intelligence in this thread.

Edited by MistressOfMetal

Smuggler's story is about fun and interesting adventure.Its many different parts are interesting by themselves.

The parts are better than the sum of them,because the whole plot looked at from a distance is bland.

Edited by Kaedusz

I haven't read the thread, but I agree with the title. I have actually finished the story and will say that it is easily the worst of all 8 storylines in the game.

You honestly think the smuggler story is better than the trooper? wow...just wow.

I thought the smuggler story was pretty good all around, which compared to the other classes I have played is less true. For example I really enjoyed Acts 1 and 2 of the Sith Warrior and Bounty Hunter, but found the Act 3 for both to be sort of underwhelming. Conversely while I found Act 1 of the Sith Inquisitor to be fairly dry, I loved its Act 2 and Act 3. Smuggler wasn't my favorite story, but I in terms of quality consistency I think it was the best (of the ones I have played anyway).

I thought the smuggler story was pretty good all around, which compared to the other classes I have played is less true. For example I really enjoyed Acts 1 and 2 of the Sith Warrior and Bounty Hunter, but found the Act 3 for both to be sort of underwhelming. Conversely while I found Act 1 of the Sith Inquisitor to be fairly dry, I loved its Act 2 and Act 3. Smuggler wasn't my favorite story, but I in terms of quality consistency I think it was the best (of the ones I have played anyway).

Well most consistant and was amazing all the way through hands down was the Imperial Agent story. Best one i've played through so far.

But second on the list was smuggler.

What I never really understood is that Smugglers don't smuggle good for the Empire as well.

This drawn line is just artificial.

Same with Bounty Hunters. Why shouldn't the Republic hire a Bounty Hunter ?

Again : This line in this game is artificial.

In the movies, the borders were fluid, not strict at all.

This entire thread cracks me up. The OP is hilarious, albeit misinformed and difficult to follow, but hilarious nonetheless. Thank you for this gem of a thread. It's reasons like this that I browse these forums.

What I never really understood is that Smugglers don't smuggle good for the Empire as well.

This drawn line is just artificial.

Same with Bounty Hunters. Why shouldn't the Republic hire a Bounty Hunter ?

Again : This line in this game is artificial.

In the movies, the borders were fluid, not strict at all.

You're not just playing as "Smuggler", "Bounty Hunter", "Sith Warrior", "Trooper", or whatever. You're playing as the Voidhound, the Grand Champion of the Great Hunt, the Emperor's Wrath, and the commander of Havoc Squad. Obviously there are smugglers and soldiers who work for the Empire, much as there are bounty hunters who take contracts from the Republic and Sith who are co-opted by the Jedi Order. But those aren't the player characters.

The class names are just archetypes that are supposed to help define how the player character of a given storyline works to somebody who hasn't experienced that storyline yet. You don't play as any smuggler, you play as one very specific smuggler with a very specific story. Complaining that you can't play as a smuggler who works for the Empire is as silly as complaining that you can't play as a smuggler who tosses Risha out the airlock and ignores the entire Nok Drayen quest that frames Chapter 1. It's a story. It necessarily can't have every option even theoretically available to a given character.

I haven't read the thread, but I agree with the title. I have actually finished the story and will say that it is easily the worst of all 8 storylines in the game.

Nothing will go under the inquisitor story in my opinion. The smuggler story feels pretty generic, at least after trying out some of the other stories. Or maybe its just the voice actor.

Edited by Karkais

I've had the most fun playing the smuggler....all the wisecracks & He flirts with nearly every female npc in the game lol. Only problem I had with the story is

I go thru all the trouble of finding & upgrading my ship, but NOTHING ACTUALLY CHANGES! IT LOOKS EXACTLY THE SAME BIOWARE!

But I do get to run with a wookiee so it kinda balances that part out imo....

Smuggler is down there on my list of 'favorite' class stories, but I very much think a player's enjoyment of the story depends a /lot/ on the type of character they go into it with.

For me, it made no sense for my character to (Act 2 spoiler)

become a Republic privateer

, so everything after that wasn't as fun for me.

• 6 months later...
What boggles my mind, actually, is why the OP is so hard-up on the fact that some people like the story that he doesn't.

I mean, I don't, personally, like the agent story. Seriously, I know loads of people consider it the be-all story of the game, better than any of the others. But me, personally? Nah, I can't stand its James-Bond-meets-Jason-Bourne feel.

However, I respect that other people don't feel the same way. Heh, I go play the stories I like and leave the Bond-wannabe's to their favorite, rather.

I mean it, OP: do what my bounty hunter did, and steal a dang ship. Get over it!

This .