The weird people you meet in Group Finder.

I had a HM Czerka Meltdown run the other day on my Powertech. Sorc healer, Sorc Lightning DPS, Juggy tank, and me running Advanced Prototype. Everyone's decently geared.

The tank loaded in and said "I only have 10 minutes, can we make this a quick run?" We're all "okay, but it'll probably be a bit longer than that..."

We're clearing out trash and I realize that the tank is tunnelvisioning like mad. I keep having to peel adds off the Sorcs, and occasionally he fixates on an add and I get stuck with the elite, but the healer is effortlessly keeping everyone alive. (The healer's gear was a little meh, but this player made healing an art form.) I have a suspicion so I check the tank's achievements, and what do you know, he's got 6% flashpoint achievements and 41% PvP achievements; we've got ourselves a PvPer. (This was also his first time in Meltdown in either difficulty.)

We clear out trash and get to the desert boss. Remember how the tank hadn't been in there before? Well, before we can explain tactics to him he activates the console and pulls the boss. When the sandstorm starts he makes no effort to move, so I pop some CDs, taunt the boss, and Hydraulic Overrides my way over to the barrel. He taunts the boss back off me after the Rampage, and I quickly throw the strategy out in chat. Well, maybe he's not reading chat, because he doesn't do anything when the next sandstorm starts. I taunt the boss and we get through it all right. (Having the 30% AoE damage reduction from Tactics was nice here.) Then on the third sandstorm, with the boss at 40% health or so, I run out of CDs, get out of heals range while trying to kite the boss, and wipe it up. Tank says he's out of time and drops group.

At least he was polite about things, and I do hope he learns from his PvE tanking experience; for all his tanking problems, he was damned good at staying alive and held aggro well on the mobs he actually hit. But yeah, then we got a very good Assassin tank and finished the run with no problems.

A 40-something assassin tank who queued as a dps and had a cunning chestpiece;

How does that even happen? The usual thing is Sents/Maras wearing Smug/Agent gear or vice versa, or the same with Guardians/Juggys and Troopers/BHs, but...when you're a Consular/Inquisitor, the only way to get the wrong mainstat on armor is to take an orange chestpiece and deliberately put the wrong mods in it! I can't even...

Edited by venomlash

Another nice KDY story....

My Sent just reached lvl 15 and is massively undergeared. Thus, I can't bring him in Hammer Station.

I chose to queue for a KDY and she is bolstered slightly over 24k which is kinda normal in wz under lvl 20 (when one doesn't have any earpiece, implant). I get a shadow tank, sage heal, shadow dps group. We load in and begin the fp.

During almost all the 1st scenario I end up face tanking my share of mob... Our tank being only lvl 21, I don't overly worry my *** over it. Then we reach the Elite defender in the 2nd scenario. Tank engage with the 2nd shadow, then I leap in. Cauterize > Master Strike > Zealous Strike > Strike > Blade Storm > Slash > Strike..... And I begin to pick aggro. Not worried at all I pop Rebuke and Saber Ward Happy to have a way to get a few Riposte in before the tank take aggro back.... Which never happens. Fortunately, our healer and my Rebuke kept me alive until we downed the elite. So I check tank stance.. He is in Force tech.... I ask him why he isn't in Combat tech.. He just answer he is a n00b and switch stance so I just go along.

Everything is going alright until the boss.... Trooper with nades boss :rak_03: I just say to go left first to degauss then wait for the tank to open. He attack outside of stealth (Is it me or shadow, even tank, should always open from stealth) and I leap in. The first degauss went fairly well since I was the first there and have activated the station. The second didn't.... I stayed behind to finish the adds and got to the station just in time to see everyone standing there the station not activated... We wipe.. Grenades explodes....

2nd try... Nades kills us all at the third degauss..... After some explanations we try a 3rd time. Three time someone, dps shadow i think, activated the second station, letting us take the 2nd volley up our asses. /facepalm later, I explain him to not go for the one everyone isn't going to

4th try... We finally kill the boss..... :rak_01:

You should always be worried when an Assassin doesn't know how to hold threat by level 21. He should have been spamming discharge like a champ. Lemme guess: His aoe threat strategy was just to hit overload once every 20 seconds, in between thrashing a lot?

Assassin/shadow tanks don't need to open from stealth, though. That just slows things down.

Edited by sanctified

Assassin/shadow tanks don't need to open from stealth, though. That just slows things down.

Only once they hit level 41/42 and get the Shadow Wrap talent, which causes them to come out of stealth with their major defensive buff already up. Even before that, you might try pulling from stealth in order to open with a Shadow Strike/Maul for initial single-target burst/threat; since this eats a lot of Force, your mileage may vary. At endgame, it is very helpful to open from stealth.

Only once they hit level 41/42 and get the Shadow Wrap talent, which causes them to come out of stealth with their major defensive buff already up. Even before that, you might try pulling from stealth in order to open with a Shadow Strike/Maul for initial single-target burst/threat; since this eats a lot of Force, your mileage may vary. At endgame, it is very helpful to open from stealth.

I stand corrected.

At earlier levels they may also do it for the 50% Force regen bonus from Dark Embrace, since it's actually sensible to multispec through the bottom of all the trees until you start getting enough points for 'juicy' talents deeper in a specific tree.

This morning was one of these mornings where it is so nice outside, that you know someone will say something stupid and make them look like a complete jerk.

So I am doing the Section-X weekly on my slinger and queuing up for the level 50 HM, I am level 51 with all boosts on trying to level. So I get the FP pop and proceed to travel. We had a two level 55 (this is important), and two who are not (A commando healer and I). So we start with the usual pleasantries and start the FP, at the first part where you get the console for the bonus the healer asks to do the bonus, I don't care what we do, either we finish faster or we get more XP from the NPC and the bonus. However one of the two 55, a commando dps, exclaims it is a waste of time, I reply by saying well we are two 50 here and since it is 2xp we will benefit a lot. He replies that well it is a waste for him since he is 55. I reply at this point that I don't care and whatever we decide to do I will go with it.

And then the kicker!

He exclaimed that we shouldn't do it, since we (the level 50) needs him the level 55 to do the Flashpoint, since apparently a level 50 can no longer do the level 50HM because it is so damn difficult that you need gear rating 186 for it!

So I answer him with exactly that, this is a level 50 FP and we are geared up for it and he took offense to it and started to leave FP, at this point one of other two initiated a vote kick, it passed he was gone!

Now I wish he wasn't kicked, but still!

Edited by znihilist

[...]

You didn't say which flashpoint it was, so I don't know if it was the case here, but some of the bonus missions for 50 HM flashpoints do not scale to level 50, making them effectively useless, even for level 50 characters.

Let me start by saying that I've kept up with this thread since its inception. Even when real life comes calling and pulls me away from the game for an extended period of time, I always keep up with this thread as its a good way to pass the time while sitting at work. But anyways, now for my contribution to this thread.

Its double XP weekend and I decide to level my lowbie DPS shadow(lvl 23) to get rid of some of the weekly/daily group finder quests I've been saving. Click on the group finder icon, deselect KDY, and see I'm eligible for Hammser Station, Athiss, and Mando Raiders. I think any of those will be fine, so I let it ride and wait for the pop. The pop comes in about 5mins, and I see I'm going to be paired with a vanguard tank, sage "healer", and another DPS shadow. I'm not really worried about gear as its double XP weekend and the XP is what I really want, so I click accept and I'm transported to Athiss. The FP seems to be already in progress when I zone in(I zoned in where Professor Ley'arsha normally is). The other shadow DPS and I are running to catch up to the group, and this is where the fun begins.

As me and the other DPS are running to catch up, the tank quits. We reque for another tank and proceed to wait. As we wait, I ask why the tank quit. The "healer" says they didn't know and the other DPS says they joined right along with me. Well, we wait some more and no new tank has been found and I offer to return to fleet and respec to tank as I don't have field respec. We wait some more and I inform the group I'm returning to fleet to respec and to reque us.

I return to fleet, get to the skills guy, click on relearn my skills, proceed to equip my shield gen, and put my points in the tank tree. Well, as I'm putting my points in the tank tree, the que pops and we find a tank. So I re-equip my focus, put my points back in the DPS tree, and let everyone know I'm headed back. Get back inside Athiss, I greet the new tank, and we proceed to the Beast of Vodal Kreesh. Everything goes alright in this fight except for the other DPS jumping in before the tank and the tank dying towards the end of the fight, but overall it was okay and we proceed on into the temple.

As we get to the first room with the guardian and disciple on each side of the room and the patrolling guardian, I start to type we can skip some of these. Before I can finish typing, I hear my lightsaber ignite and I look up to see the "healer" sage has initiated combat, so I rush into battle. As we are fighting, I notice the "healer" in melee using the melee attacks and doing the force knockback. We finish the fight with only one casualty, the tank died, and as he's running back to join us, the "healer" sage has initiated with the patrolling guardian(slip out of combat with the guardian and disciple to CC him when i saw him coming back). We finish him off with no problems and as everyone is out of combat healing and overlooking the next room, I mention we can skip some of these mobs. Well, the tank jumps into battle as soon as I hit enter without any regard to his surroundings, so we end up in a battle with a disciple and two patrolling guardians.

The tank is calling for the "healer" to heal since we aren't seeing any green numbers. As the tank's HP is getting lower and lower, I start taunting off of him to help the "healer" out and give her some time to patch him up. Well, the tank eventually dies, but we finish the fight with just his casualty. I whisper the tank apologizing for taunting off him and explained why I did it, but I got no response. I assumed he was angry. We proceed on, and get to the room with the disciple and guardian just outside the Prophet's chamber room. They allow me to sleep the guardian and proceed on inside the chamber room.

We get to just inside the door and I explain the fight. The first try, we wipe due to the "healer" not healing. We try again, and another wipe. The third try, the healer dies, respawns, and makes it back to the fight, but she brings company(the disciple and guardian from the previous room), and we wiped again. I tell the group on the way back to the boss fight that we are going to have to fight the disciple or guardian before we fight the Prophet since I think bringing them into the fight will be a reoccurring thing. We take out the disciple, and proceed into the chamber room once again.

I tell the "healer" to try her best not to fight and just heal. I don't usually like telling someone how to play their toon, but honestly, I'm tired of dying and just want this FP over with. So we begin this fight for a fourth time and everything is going good, then the tank dies, followed by the healer. That leaves me and the other DPS to fight. I know we are going to die too, but I just want us to hold out long enough for the tank and healer to rejoin the fight so he doesn't reset. I go down before the other DPS and proceed to run back to the fight. As I get back to the fight, throw out some more DPS, we eventually down the boss.

Miscellaneous Tidbits:

1. The new tank we got was a guardian that had over 2000 HP less than I

2. During the 2nd fight with the Prophet the "healer" got the debuff, but decided to not run, started getting burned by the fire, and then decided it would be a good idea to run after they realized they couldn't heal or bubble through it

3. I had an almost 9K repair bill after that run

Oh I got a run with some of the things I hate today...

Jumping into the queues during a double XP weekend is always a risk, but at lvl 55 I was hoping it'd be fine. Scoundrel!Healer me, two well geared Sentinels, and a Guardian!Tank... well I think he was meant to be a Tank. HM Athiss pops are we load in. First think I notice... Tank's sitting on low health. Like... 24K low. Inspect his gear and oh boy, rating 140 seems to be the rage. Whatever, I've waited for a queue for a while, and healed worse.

I then notice as we're running towards the first pulls... no guard on anyone. Have a closer look at the 'Tank' and oh, Shien stance (aka not the Tank stance). The conversation goes as follows:

Me: "[Tank's name], you do realize you're the Tank right? Tank stance helps.

Tank: Don't say that to someone who played SWTOR since 2011. I know what Soresu (the tank stance) does.

Me: ".... then why aren't you in it?"

Give a quick glance at his achievements, nil operations, less than 3K in achievements, yeah... sure mate, sure.

One of the Sentinels then becomes the Tank, and saves my hide a few times when I get mob aggro, especially from the elites towards the end of Athiss. Tank dies a few times but the rest of us aren't fussed. Final boss and yep, Sentinal tanking again. She's easier to heal then the actual 'Tank' anyway. Boss is downed, I thank the Sentinal for Tanking, she thanks me for healing, and we exit group as the 'Tank' starts whining about the loot drop not being Guardian gear.

I will start with a story which happened to me a couple of days ago. I enjoy flashpoints, so I started playing a Powertech tank recently in order to get into FPs more often. So at level 17 I queued as a tank and got the Hammer station. It is me, a Juggernaut dps and two others, not playing an important part in this story.

The first fights go a bit strange. I am an altoholic, so I know Hammer station like no other Flashpoint and tend to run it pretty fast when I am tanking. This time, when I wait a bit for the group to catch up, the Jugg sometimes starts jumping in first. The Powertech has a lot of AOE abilities, so I have no problem taking aggro from most of the mobs. So I think that it will be ok.

After a while I check his gear. He puts endurance over strength. Hell, he is even in the soresu form. But it is Hammer station and I decide not to say anything. After we get to the second boss, I have the feeling I know what is happening, as the Jugg actually uses his taunt to get the enemies off me, which I consider pretty rude. Before the fight with the boss, I mark the left gold, so that the dps concentrate on him.

The Jugg says: "Focus on the adds first."

Until now the FP went very smoothly, so now I am pretty sure that he actually thinks he is the tank and he just queued for both roles. He also probably thinks I am one of the really annoying dps you meet in gf. I remember one of the recent stories from here and decide to stay quiet. I start the fight, take aggro from both golds and the champion. The Jugg tries to get the aggro back and taunts one of the adds. We take all enemies down without any problems and continue. I start the fights whenever I can, the Jugg tries to take the aggro back and taunts all the time.

We make it to the final boss.

Jugg says: "Dps take sown adds when they spawn."

Me: "Yeah you know you are actually dps."

Short moment of silence...

Jugg: "lmao" "omg I though I was the tank the whole time"

me: "I know :D"

It was a shooth run. First, I was a bit annoyed by dps jumping in first and taunting, but after I found out what the issue really was, I had fun :)

Edited by Lord_Submarine

QFT

And like most in this thread, 99% of knock-backs I encounter, especially in KDY, tend to be of the 'just because I can' type and result in mobs knocked out of range, mobs knocked out of AOE, mobs knocked into other packs causing chain agro, and / or mobs bugged out.

I was given a stern warning the other day in KDY not to use my force wave.

I was on my juggernaut.

Runs out of the range of healers, doesn't taunt, but uses the correct stance and applies guard. I'm at a loss as to what's going on...

I rarely use my taunt on my shadow tank; pull, project, and force breach do a much better job of getting aggro at low levels. DPS goes weak to strong and will sometimes pull aggro for a single mob -- I won't taunt then because DPS is usually fine battling a single strong while I hold the others.

Actually, I can't remember the last time I used a taunt on my shadow sin, probably SM Hammer. Use them all the time on my jugg.

He attack outside of stealth (Is it me or shadow, even tank, should always open from stealth) and I leap in.

Why would you open from stealth all the time? Shadow Strike (the backstab) takes a lot of force points, will do a paltry amount of damage if you aren't specced/geared for it, and doesn't have high threat. If you opened with that, you could lose aggro if you have a DPS with a high burst opener.

And there's no inherent benefit to stealth at low levels.

Edited by MCaliban

You didn't say which flashpoint it was, so I don't know if it was the case here, but some of the bonus missions for 50 HM flashpoints do not scale to level 50, making them effectively useless, even for level 50 characters.

OOps I forgot about that, it was Maelstrom prison, were fine with the bonus. However, that person's point is irrelevant to that fact. We "owed" him our time since his "55" was the only thing helping us finish the FP.

Went into KDY with a VG alt, ended up with a sentinel (who thinks he is a tank...) a shadow dps and a healer of whatever kind... Wasn't paying attention. The sent, as expected, acts like a total d-bag and jumps in first on EVERY occasion. After about 1700 warnings and kind requests of at least allowing 3 seconds to get my ammo back, he ignored all of them and pulled the 2nd elite droid. I wished him GL and HF and hoped the healer would be wise enough to just let him die.

...he kept him up instead...

I jumped in at about 20%, pulled, helped them kill it and got rewarded with... the healer voting to kick me, stating "hardly did anything on the last elite". Well cheers for not allowing someone to teach an other player a lesson.

If you read this and this is you: I hope you step on a lego. In fact, I hope you step on ALL legos in the world.:D

I've got a few small moments... the runs weren't bad...just....more odd moments

Hit Mando Raiders with my scoundral healer. Get about halfway through, enter that hallway where those dogs mob you, and we begin to wipe. I rez at the medcenter, hit pugnacity as soon as I get within reach, tank gets ready to go again.....

and if I recall correctly, one of the dps ups and quits! No warning, no DC, just boom, gone. :eek: That is one of my biggest pet peeves! It takes less than a minute to type in a response and drop group.

2nd was also Mando Raiders...pub still, same scoundral healer...

Get a trooper.... in orange gear.... with NO MODS! NOTHING! When asked about it, the trooper's response was "I know, but I was too busy..." soemthing along those lines.....

Now, I'm no uber powered player, expert healer, but I've been playing since...Jan/Feb, and I consider myself good. average, not the best, not the worst, I do what I can, and I can usually keep a team up, minus a wipe or so. Heck, it happens, lol, it's a game.

But this was the 1st time, I actually considered letting someone die on purpose. Not have enough time? To stick at LEAST a few armoring mods in.....

My 3rd odd moment was.... KDY.....a guardian...in trooper gear! I didn't get a chance to inspect, that better have been modded gear...........or else.... that person will end up in a world of pain later on down the road:D

I rarely use my taunt on my shadow tank; pull, project, and force breach do a much better job of getting aggro at low levels. DPS goes weak to strong and will sometimes pull aggro for a single mob -- I won't taunt then because DPS is usually fine battling a single strong while I hold the others.

Actually, I can't remember the last time I used a taunt on my shadow sin, probably SM Hammer. Use them all the time on my jugg.

The thing is that Taunts in other MMOs (like WoW) are useless if you don't need to bring something back to you, ie, they do nothing if you're already tanking the mob.

SWTOR is slightly different — even if you're tanking the mob (ie, have aggro), Taunting still grabs all the Threat at the highest point on the mob's Threat table, boosts it by 10 or 30% (for convoluted reasons), and gives it to you.

So even if you have aggro, Taunt is basically free, off-GCD threat in SWTOR if you don't need to save it for the Fixate effect ('must attack you for 6s').

Granted all of this is slightly derailing since I think the person you quoted was complaining that their Tank wasn't taunting when other people had aggro. :)

Why would you open from stealth all the time? Shadow Strike (the backstab) takes a lot of force points, will do a paltry amount of damage if you aren't specced/geared for it, and doesn't have high threat. If you opened with that, you could lose aggro if you have a DPS with a high burst opener.

And there's no inherent benefit to stealth at low levels.

High-tree Sin/Shadow Tank talent gives you 4 stacks of your defensive buff immediately on exiting Stealth, and low-tree Dark Embrace gives you 6s of +50% Force regen. Probably some other stuff I'm forgetting. There are reasons to open from Stealth as Sin Tank. :)

That said, there are also builds, level ranges, or situations where it's useless/silly. But it's not autofail if you see your Tank stealthing frequently.

A couple weeks ago I did Czerka Labs on HM. I was tanking it. There was a geared healer, a dps with 30k, and another dps with 21k who had never run the flashpoint on SM. The healer and I pretty much agreed this run would be hell. So we start first boss and we wipe once from the enrage. I agree to try again and make sure the lowered geared dps doesn't waste time on the adds. We try again and the boss enrages at abut 15% health but we are still able to down it. We keep going and clear the last two bosses on our first try, but both bosses were alive for quite a while. This reinforces my logic of "always do SM before you attempt HM!"

Got a nice little story. "Gone in 15 minutes."

So, as per usual my guildie / friend and I queue for a HM flashpoint. I'm the tank and he is dpsing. We both out gear the flashpoints by quite a bit but I still go because I want more elite comms for companion gear.

Our first flashpoint for the day is Hammer Station, now I always do the bonus boss in every flashpoint. Why? Because EEEs are cheaper when you win the roll, plus the extra elite comms add up at the end of the week.

Anyway, we clear to the first elite pack. Two elites, 2 strong and 3 weak mobs. The elites are marked for CC and are CCed. No problems so far, but I notice something. I'm not getting heals. I use a few cooldowns but it's too late, we wipe. The healer then says that his screen blacked out because his system is over heating, or his fish tank was on fire. Not quite sure which. At least the latter is my belief.

My guildie / friend informs me that the guy has horrible pvp gear, which explains the 22k hp. But I'm pretty dismissive of his desire to replace the healer. As long as I get a few odd heals now and then, I'll survive.

So, the first boss in Hammer Station. Pretty easy to heal, assuming you know where your debuff removal ability is. I decided to take the short cut to the boss, the bonus was out of the question with this healer. We move into the room and get ready to pull.

The healer jumps down to the lower level then spends the first few 20 seconds or so of the encounter trying to get back up to the storage container. I start taking the debuff stacks, at 7 stacks I notice that they aren't being removed.

I would have said something about the stacks, but I was a tad busy managing my health on my end and avoiding droid explosions. But by the third beam, I die. No cleansing. I get a combat rez and return to the fight, only to see my guildie / friend get hammered by the laser. No cleansing again. The next laser I die, no cleansing.

So my guildie / friend who most likely sent this as miss tell said in group, boot the healer.

The healer flies into a rage filled frenzy, calling my guildie a moron and stating that he/she had only just made level 55, 15 minutes prior. I immediately replied that him being a fresh 55 wasn't the issue. More so that he failed to cleanse / remove the buff.

Again the healer insisted that he had only just hit 55, 15 minutes ago. I said that it didn't matter how long ago he had hit 55, as he hit 24 a very long time ago. Which is also around the same time most if not all healers get their debuff removal ability.

We replaced the healer in 5 minutes and finished with a very nice healer.

Strangely enough, I was fine with doing another round on the boss, with the first healer. His gear wasn't the real issue, just the debuff removal or the lack there of. Though I was also tired of the pathetic excuse, I just hit 55, 15 minutes ago!

Ask and you shall receive information, freely with out scorn. The worst you can do is say nothing than blame something entirely irrelevant.

Edited by Lord_of_Mu

Get a trooper.... in orange gear.... with NO MODS! NOTHING! When asked about it, the trooper's response was "I know, but I was too busy..." soemthing along those lines.....

I do that a lot before my toon reach lvl 20.... but i never queue for smt outside bolster ;)

Doing ops on imp side for achievements. Geared sin for that, full 180, other then crafted implants, ears etc. 40k hp. Mandalorian raiders,

Died twice, got to that part with dog ambush, died one more time and decided to call it. My companion would keep me up more. Seriously, I know it is double xp and all are leveling, but hard fps are called hard for a reason.

Got a fp in progress, which I know I should be wary of, but all I usually think is hey, hopefully they are almost done. Ends up being Lost Island HM (Level 50). Me on my healer and a dps both join them at same time. FIrst thing they do is mention how we came at a bad time and wipe them because their companions dropped. Eh, it happens. Then they talk crap about our gear, asking if we left our real gear at home. I asked what they meant, though I knew what they meant since the one guy had like 44k health and the other had 39k. Then we show up with around 18k each. But once I reminded him he was in a level 50 hm fp, where people with my kind of gear come to get better gear, he seemed okay with it. We beat the boss they had just died on, and go to loot up. The almost 40k heatlh marauder bragging about how good their gear and companion gear needs on the aim leggings that drop and wins over me and the other merc. I just sat there while they started fighting other mobs. Other merc asks for leggings, I get yelled at to Heal. I said nah, I am out. Not going to run a fp with ninja looters and quit group and took the lockout. Who talks crap about someone in appropriate gear trying to get better gear, then ninja's that gear that person needs when they are literally decked out in what had to be some of the best gear you can get. Two for my ignore list though.

Not a bad story, just sort of amusing. Ran a KDY today that had a 4-tank pop.

Now, the fastest KDY run I did was 3 dps and 1 healer. This was anything but. We were all decent enough players, but OY did it take a long time to kill everything.

Edited by Khevar

Yesterday I had an Athiss lowbie run. We phase in, healer says he's new to healing but I don't worry about it. Later I realize our shadow tank isn't even pretending to be a tank, dps stance and all.

But none of this matters because it's SM, so we carry on and I dont even consider this weird anymore.

After we get the beast of Vodal Kresh down, the shadow pulls a strange one on us : he stealthes past a group of mobs and moves on, expecting us to follow. The rest of us stand there scratching our heads and /blinking for a few seconds and hilarity ensues.

On the bright side, by the end of the flashpoint, the shadow had learned how to use mind maze. Next time maybe he'll learn how to taunt. :p

Edited by Loc_n_lol