Here's what's wrong with PvP

snaplemouton

There is definitely something wrong with PvP.

And I can sum it up in one phrase: "Errors are too easily forgiven."

This game carries terrible players by the hand and leave the most common errors unpunished (Such as backpeddle force speed, letting your explosive probe get cleansed, taunting an healer, mezing a dotted target, etc.).

1. CC can be thrown around without care. Due to how the only CC breaker people have (aside from sage/sorc) is on a 2 minute CD (1:30 minute if speced) while everybody got plentora of hard stuns and mezs with NEARLY NO COOLDOWNS (Dirty kick for scoundrels/gunslinger can be dropped to THIRTY SECONDS CD. That's 3-4 stuns per CC breaker on ONE SPELL.). Roots arn't affected by anything and can be used an infinite amount of time without punishing the player for stacking or using it on someone who was rooted multiple time already since there is no DR/immunity mechanism tied to roots (aside from special spells like hold the line). Most of the slows, roots or hard stuns deals damage... making using a stun on an immune target almost unpunishing because of how it still do damage. (Force slow damage is retarded too high for a spell meant to slow. WHY?)

Solution: RESOLVE is a BROKEN MECHANISM and NEEDS TO BE FIXED. Roots requires a Diminishing Return!!! No matter how people saw WoW CC mechanisms, they had the right ideas for CC management.

2. Interrupts. I don't think I have to explain... everyone got an interrupt. There is only 1 way to avoid interrupt and is for combat medic/bodyguard under their reactive shield. Interrupts combined with the plentora of CCs makes it virtually impossible for someone to cast anything as soon as there is 2 people attacking him/her.

Solution: After using an interrupt, the target should become UNINTERRUPTABLE for 4 seconds even if the interrupt DIDN'T LAND ON A CAST. Punish thoses who miss their interrupt, interrupt a fake cast or interrupt a worthless ability.

3. Many spells do too many things at the same time... First thing that come to mind: Force leap. It's a gap closer, a root, a damage dealing ability, a rage builder AND an interrupt. That is BEFORE it get boosted by additional talent/set bonus. It can then become a 4 second immunity to CC and +10% damage done for a vigilance guardian. That's SEVEN things tied to ONE ability. It's way too much.

Solution: Remove the damage counterpart of all hard stuns (Except for stasis/choke), remove the interrupt and damage from force leap, remove or reduce the damage of most slows and roots.

4. Guard. The most passive bullsh*t ever made. Fine it take skills to use it to it's best capacity with guard swapping. But it doesn't require a brain to put guard on an healer and become an unkillable duo without ever swapping.

Solution: Make guard transfer 30% damage and add an active ability that increase that number to 50% for a certain amount of time with a CD on it. (6 seconds duration with 12 seconds CD?)

Edit: 40% passive and 60% active might be better numbers or 35% passive 50% active. Thoses can be tweaked, but right now, passive 50% involve no active gameplay when you tankbot an healer.

All of theses things is exactly why Scoundrels/Operatives healers are consider OP and not the other AC healers. Because they can heal with instants and over time making interrupt a non factor and they still heal while stunned while guard make them virtually invincible. Not because they heal too much or because they have too many escape. Scoundrels/Operatives are as easy to kill without guard if not easier then other healers. Fixing the interrupt problem would bring back sages/sorcs and commandos/mercs healers to the same level as scoundrels/operatives healers while the change to guard would bring them all to a level where they can be killed. As for every other classes, you would finally be punished for using your abilities without care.

Edited by snaplemouton

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

entrench is a hell of a lot more powerful tool to avoid interrupts than reactive shield on 1/3 merc/mando specs.

also, almost every channeled melee ability is immune to interrupts to begin with or can be spec'd as such (ravage, PFT, tankasin thing [forget name]) I don't know anything about madness sorc/sin, but deception doesn't use a channel...ever. so it's moot for them, and I'm pretty sure telekinetics has a brief immunity to cast (ala reactive shield's effect but shorter?) scrapper could care less. but I suppose you could argue that freighter fly bye is a sitting duck to interrupts. I guess cull is a channel. dunno if it's interruptable as I tend to los it (like series of shots) and don't play the spec.

no. interrupts are not a problem. not a problem at all. in fact, they are the opposite of a/the problem. I feel strongly that there should be more dependence on interrupts and far less dependence on stuns in this game. I also think teams should be forced to take specs that can really interrupt like a watchman sent or face the same dilemma of not having a buffed predation in the pre 2.0 days (remember when every class didn't have a ridiculously useful speed buff?).

the fact that stuns are available for use pretty much whenever, which makes them excellent interrupts, is a problem. I think you're correct there. however, you need more interrupts, not fewer, once you eliminate all of this stun. else healers really will be immortal.

Edited by foxmob

entrench is a hell of a lot more powerful tool to avoid interrupts than reactive shield on 1/3 merc/mando specs.

also, almost every channeled melee ability is immune to interrupts to begin with or can be spec'd as such (ravage, PFT, tankasin thing [forget name]) I don't know anything about madness sorc/sin, but deception doesn't use a channel...ever. so it's moot for them, and I'm pretty sure telekinetics has a brief immunity to cast (ala reactive shield's effect but shorter?) scrapper could care less. but I suppose you could argue that freighter fly bye is a sitting duck to interrupts. I guess cull is a channel. dunno if it's interruptable as I tend to los it (like series of shots) and don't play the spec.

no. interrupts are not a problem. not a problem at all. in fact, they are the opposite of a/the problem. I feel strongly that there should be more dependence on interrupts and far less dependence on stuns in this game. I also think teams should be forced to take specs that can really interrupt like a watchman sent or face the same dilemma of not having a buffed predation in the pre 2.0 days (remember when every class didn't have a ridiculously useful speed buff?).

the fact that stuns are available for use pretty much whenever, which makes them excellent interrupts, is a problem. I think you're correct there. however, you need more interrupts, not fewer, once you eliminate all of this stun. else healers really will be immortal.

When I say interrupts, it's meant for the 2 other healer classes that as stayed in scoundrel/operative healers's shadow since the very beginning of the game.

I'm not asking to eliminate interrupts. I'm asking for people to be punished for using interrupts on fake casts or nothing at all. An interrupted medical probe makes a commando healer useless. And with the change I'm asking, it's still possible to keep medical probe forever interrupted.

Also, cover interrupt immunity needs to be removed. Gunslinger/Sniper is OP right now only because of how they are immovable and unstoppable.

When I say interrupts, it's meant for the 2 other healer classes that as stayed in scoundrel/operative healers's shadow since the very beginning of the game.

I'm not asking to eliminate interrupts. I'm asking for people to be punished for using interrupts on fake casts or nothing at all. An interrupted medical probe makes a commando healer useless. And with the change I'm asking, it's still possible to keep medical probe forever interrupted.

Also, cover interrupt immunity needs to be removed. Gunslinger/Sniper is OP right now only because of how they are immovable and unstoppable.

Snipers need cover immunity...They would be sitting ducks otherwise. If they are out of CD's and someone gets on them, they die...instantly...

I Agree with the OP on all points, the CC was fine pre 1.4 but post 1.4 its so bad it makes one want to throw the keyboard through the monitor. the interrupts should be on a longer cd and add to resolve, roots should absolutely add to resolve. I do disagree however with the guard issue though if that was the case then no one would guard ne one esp in pugs.

most of the healers are OPS because they do excel because of the post 1.4 abomination BW put out. I do have a pvp healer sage I rarely play, its not worth the frustration, and ROFL # merc healers, God bless those whom have the patience to play a merc healer. BW wants to attract new players but with pvp in the state it is in good luck with that. the 4 man duels in 2.4 will get old fast, and 8v8 failed only due to no cross server pvp que function and a solo que option.

its almost as though they want to go forwards by stepping backwards and wearing a blind fold when the community asks for things.

1. cross server ques.

2. solo que option for rated 8v8s

3. feed back on our suggestions good or bad just something.

4. fix the pvp bugs, OP roll im looking at that bug <===

5. lag lag rubber banding

6. server que launching with less than 8 players in a wz

7. toning down the cc a bit more or reverse the resolve change in 1.4

most people love to pvp and love Star Wars, I want to stay but to be honest if my friends weren't playing / if I didn't have a guild that I really liked I would have left to play final fantasy like a lot of others have. the next game is wildstar that's going to take an even bigger chunk and ESO another chunk. BW really cant afford to lose a lot more players due to not listening to their customers. I am certain a lot of us including myself are sorry and feel bad for all the layoffs you had but for this game to succeed positive changes need to come. that means listening to your customers and communicating with us.

A KOTOR FAN

DarthSabreth

Edited by DarthSabreth

The OP doesn't really have any valid points and should learn 2 play rather than crying.

Interrupt isn't really a problem because it only interrupts one spell.

Guard isn't really a problem because 2 dps can kill anyone easily. Try playing in a team instead of joining a pickup grp. This will become more visible when arena starts so when that happens, you should remember that I told you to L2P.

About CC, stuns and mezzes.... they are meant to be spammed. You must be playing a juggernaut or marauder and all you do is leap into 5 enemies thinking you are a one man army. This game already has way too many escape abilities from roll, stealth, force speed and etc. If you don't stun a guy at the right time, he will be miles away.

This game carries terrible players by the hand and leave the most common errors unpunished (Such as backpeddle force speed, letting your explosive probe get cleansed, taunting an healer, mezing a dotted target, etc.).

1. CC can be thrown around without care. Due to how the only CC breaker people have (aside from sage/sorc) is on a 2 minute CD (1:30 minute if speced) while everybody got plentora of hard stuns and mezs with NEARLY NO COOLDOWNS (Dirty kick for scoundrels/gunslinger can be dropped to THIRTY SECONDS CD. That's 3-4 stuns per CC breaker on ONE SPELL.). Roots arn't affected by anything and can be used an infinite amount of time without punishing the player for stacking or using it on someone who was rooted multiple time already since there is no DR/immunity mechanism tied to roots (aside from special spells like hold the line). Most of the slows, roots or hard stuns deals damage... making using a stun on an immune target almost unpunishing because of how it still do damage. (Force slow damage is retarded too high for a spell meant to slow. WHY?)

Solution: RESOLVE is a BROKEN MECHANISM and NEEDS TO BE FIXED. Roots requires a Diminishing Return!!! No matter how people saw WoW CC mechanisms, they had the right ideas for CC management.

2. Interrupts. I don't think I have to explain... everyone got an interrupt. There is only 1 way to avoid interrupt and is for combat medic/bodyguard under their reactive shield. Interrupts combined with the plentora of CCs makes it virtually impossible for someone to cast anything as soon as there is 2 people attacking him/her.

Solution: After using an interrupt, the target should become UNINTERRUPTABLE for 4 seconds even if the interrupt DIDN'T LAND ON A CAST. Punish thoses who miss their interrupt, interrupt a fake cast or interrupt a worthless ability.

3. Many spells do too many things at the same time... First thing that come to mind: Force leap. It's a gap closer, a root, a damage dealing ability, a rage builder AND an interrupt. That is BEFORE it get boosted by additional talent/set bonus. It can then become a 4 second immunity to CC and +10% damage done for a vigilance guardian. That's SEVEN things tied to ONE ability. It's way too much.

Solution: Remove the damage counterpart of all hard stuns (Except for stasis/choke), remove the interrupt and damage from force leap, remove or reduce the damage of most slows and roots.

4. Guard. The most passive bullsh*t ever made. Fine it take skills to use it to it's best capacity with guard swapping. But it doesn't require a brain to put guard on an healer and become an unkillable duo without ever swapping.

Solution: Make guard transfer 30% damage and add an active ability that increase that number to 50% for a certain amount of time with a CD on it. (6 seconds duration with 12 seconds CD?)

All of theses things is exactly why Scoundrels/Operatives healers are consider OP and not the other AC healers. Because they can heal with instants and over time making interrupt a non factor and they still heal while stunned while guard make them virtually invincible. Not because they heal too much or because they have too many escape. Scoundrels/Operatives are as easy to kill without guard if not easier then other healers. Fixing the interrupt problem would bring back sages/sorcs and commandos/mercs healers to the same level as scoundrels/operatives healers while the change to guard would bring them all to a level where they can be killed. As for every other classes, you would finally be punished for using your abilities without care.

Entrench for snipers not only makes immune to interrupt, but also to all kind of cc.

Polarty shift for sorcs make them immune to interrupt too.

http://www.torhead.com/ability/ePes6KA/polarity-shift

The shield you mentioned for BH healers

So the only healer left without it is operative? Are you implying that operative healer needs buff because they can be interrupted?

Damage dealing ability??? The leap??? Are you on drugs?

Gap closer vs cover or electronet???

+10% dmg to vigilance??? Which talent???? Can you link maybe???

And you consider OP the fact that it builds up the main resource for warriors??? ***?? Maybe you should let warriors fight without rage and do only saber attack....Cause 3 rage is too much!!!! While enraged defence requires 14 rage?? (4 to activate + drains 1 rage per sec)

Your post is bad, misguiding and full of mistakes. It should be taken down immediately to avoid further confusion.

Edited by unicornfive

The only players that throw around CC without care are the horrible ones (see the threads about nerfing healing)

Most roots break on damage, they can also be cleansed.

Using your stun for damage on a white barred opponent is a hilariously bad play. And the fact you are whining about that says a lot.

Edited by anwg

Diminishing Returns won't work in this game with CC. It would literally kill mez chains unless casted mez were made close to spammable (like poly). It would also make it really hard to penalize people for blowing their break on stupid things and dumb the game down even more. Roots are not a problem at all. Most classes have some sort of root break, sometimes on a shorter cooldown than the root spell itself. Root chains can be cleansed. The only class that should complain about roots are dps sorcs getting leap rooted. Fix the upfront damage that smash does and this isn't an issue.

This would kill interrupting and it is already incredibly weak right now. I would love to see interrupts actually lock casters out for 4 seconds on schools of spells to make fake casting and monitoring interrupts an actual thing (increasing caster skill cap), but unfortunately this is star wars and that would require a complete redesign, which will never happen.

Casting and interrupting in their system has a lot of problems. A lot of spells are too long. Rapid Scan is a perfect example. With soft capped alacrity and the talents how far can you get this down as a healing merc? 1.85 maybe? I mean that's a joke that a main heal in their rotation takes so long to cast. Add the ridiculous pushback and you can't get this thing off with anyone attacking you (only trigger happy mongos get faked on this heal). I mean its fine that deliverence is a long cast for a sage, because at least they have a spammable filler replacement, but rapid scan can't be replaced the majority of the time. There are a few spells that fall into this category. As stupid as scoundrel healers are right now, their underworld medicine should probably have a shorter cast time as well (if they were nerfed in other ways).

Pushback is also a problem. If you're talking adding DRs, this is where you should start, because pushback is horrible to the point that if you are casting with just one person on you who doesn't even interrupt, its going to be hard to get a spell off. I would maybe even say remove pushback altogether when talented, but again any huge change would require rebalancing a lot of stuff and would never happen.

The skill with interrupting in this game is knowing what to interrupt. Unfortunately there are few rotations where interrupting the right spell will lead to less output. I'll take the arsenal merc, interrupt his first tracer missle for example it will really hurt him, because then he can't rail shot or get an unload proc or won't have 25% damage on his heatseeker. Good design, right? Sadly most rotations aren't like this and can't be shut down really at all with interrupts and even the arsenal merc can just be lol instant tracer. When pushback is more of a factor in stopping output than the actual interrupt, you have a problem.

They should definately go in this direction. Zealous Leap is the first thing that comes to mind. Leap with a root break included, also has a baby root, built in slow, can be used on covered targets and crits for 5kish, but its cool it has a long cooldown right? Surely they couldn't let this ability have a 15 second cooldown that decreases when they hit stuff, considering they already have another leap with that cooldown, right? yeah...

Would be amazing, but it would cripple tanks too much. The game's PvP is going to be balanced around 4v4 in the patches to come. Sadly tanks will probably be required for 4v4, because without one survivability is incredibly low and you would just have teams zerging each other down just like random warzones are right now.

That being said, I really wish they would have never added tanks to the WoW PvP model, because most everything wrong with SWTOR PvP is because of the tanking class. Healing doesn't heal as strong as it should, because of tanks. Classes (aside from marauders) can't have really nice defensive cooldowns because if they did and had guard they would be unkillable. We can't have 3v3, because no one would die. The majority of warzones are garbage, because there aren't tanks guard swapping running around. Maybe 1 out of 50 games you'll see a tank guard swapping in a warzone and sadly the PvP is designed around it.

I'm also worried that ranked 4v4 might flop due to the lack of tanks. Guardians and Jugs are probably going to be forced into the role.

Instant heals are needed, but stupid when a class like scoundrels can do the majority of their healing with instants. I hope they realize this and change scoundrels so they have to cast more. Their rotation/resource is a lot easier to manage than the other two healers. One more of their heals have to have a short cooldown and they should be forced to worry about resource. On the contrary, merc healers need tweaks, because their rotation and tree doesn't make any sense, which is ashame, because the resource management and rotation is probably the hardest with the least amount of reward.

Entrench for snipers not only makes immune to interrupt, but also to all kind of cc.

Polarty shift for sorcs make them immune to interrupt too.

http://www.torhead.com/ability/ePes6KA/polarity-shift

The shield you mentioned for BH healers

So the only healer left without it is operative? Are you implying that operative healer needs buff because they can be interrupted?

Entrench doesn't grant interrupt immunity. Sniper/Gunslinger are passively immune to any kind of interrupt while in cover. They don't need entrench. And I already said in another post that sniper/slinger should get their interrupt immunity removed.

I forgot Mental alacrity/Polarity shift but my point still stand. 2 minutes CD for a 10 seconds immunity is good. But the current interrupt system make anything during the 11/12 time the buff isn't active a living hell for both sage/sorc and commando/merc. I'd extend that to DPS commando/mercenaries (Sage/sorc DPS have enough different spells and instant to care less about interrupts)

Operative/scoundrel healers already doesn't cast. That would affect them in a very insignifiant way.

And if you had a brain you would understand that I am not asking to remove interrupts from the game. I'm asking to only allow 1 interrupt per 4 seconds. And that would be totally fair as Hard stuns, Mezs, knockbacks and pulls can all stop a cast.

Damage dealing ability??? The leap??? Are you on drugs?

Gap closer vs cover or electronet???

+10% dmg to vigilance??? Which talent???? Can you link maybe???

And you consider OP the fact that it builds up the main resource for warriors??? ***?? Maybe you should let warriors fight without rage and do only saber attack....Cause 3 rage is too much!!!! While enraged defence requires 14 rage?? (4 to activate + drains 1 rage per sec)

Your post is bad, misguiding and full of mistakes. It should be taken down immediately to avoid further confusion.

Yes Damage dealing. The leap does damage. And the damage is extremely good (too good) for an ability with 4 others utilities tied to it. If you don't know where the 10% damage come from, you shouldn't have posted in the first place since you don't even know some of the most basic knowledge any good PvPers should know. The 4 set bonus for knight/warrior is where the 10% come from.

And OP sniper/slinger cover isn't an excuse to why leap does 5 things pre talents/set bonus. Electronet? Really?

I never said to remove the rage builder on leap. I said damage and interrupt removal would bring it to a more reasonnable level.

Enrage defense ISN'T 14 rage. It's 4 rage to activate and 1 rage when hit with a 1 second CD. It's between 4 and 14 and is probably impossible to ever hit the 14 rage cost due to not receiving an attack at exactly every 1.00 second. Enraged defense will cost around 9-10 rage when attacked by someone rarely ever get to 12-13.

My post isn't full of mistakes. Everything I mentionned concerning spells/talents is true.

As for you, I can tell you are probably a smash monkey who don't have a single clue about it's own class and PvP in general.

The only players that throw around CC without care are the horrible ones (see the threads about nerfing healing)

Hence why they should be punished for doing so. As of now, they are barely punished for it since CCs can stack without DR, their CDs are retarded low for how only CC breaker can remove them (and barrier) and for how many CCs there is in the game, most CCs does additional effects on top of their hard stun/mez, making them less of a waste when used on white bars.

Most roots break on damage, they can also be cleansed.

No roots are broken on damage immediately after being applied, all roots last at least 2 seconds unless broken by a special ability. Cleanse doesn't cleanse all roots. Only 3 AC have cleanse and they don't remove all type of debuffs. Sages/sorcs cannot cleanse a slinger/sniper roots, mando/merc and scoundrel/op cannot cleanse a force leap root.

Roots can be stack and used without care as there is no DR to punish it's usage, a player can be rooted for an overly extended period of time to a point where you might as well just go AFK and get yourself a coffee while waiting for the roots spam to be over.

Using your stun for damage on a white barred opponent is a hilariously bad play. And the fact you are whining about that says a lot.

Thank for confirming that using a stun on a white barred opponent is a bad play. I already knew that thought.

Your comprehension skills are so terrible it almost makes stunning a white bar target looks good.

My post was about how bad plays arn't punished enough if you didn't notice.

Edited by snaplemouton

I agree with most of this. Well said.

I kind of agree but take into consideration what the fixes would do the majority of warzones. There is currently no matchmaking system, meaning that a bunch of, in lack of a better term (on behalf of there not being one), idiots are mixed up with a few who know what they're doing. The latter are usually traveling in packs because they don't want anything to do with the former. So if it's unbalanced now it would be even moreso if the idiots actually had to deal with the consequences of their actions. So the current mechanic is a necessary evil.

On that note, and somewhat offtopic, I'd like BW to make the gametypes more forgiving, or atleast in normal warzones. VS is a horrible map/gametype in the current enviroment because you simply can't be everywhere at once and you are at no fault when you are fighting 6 enemies with one other team mate and the other side still manages to drop a door. On the other maps you still have a chance to turn it but on VS you're often screwed by one mistake. I hate that map.

Edited by MidichIorian

Im still w8ing for an answer. Which is that talent exactly that gives +10% dmg specificaly for a VIGILANCE guardian? Cause i dont Actually think you are proposing to nerf an ability because some end game pvp gear gives it a set bonus??? And thats for BOTH sent and guardians, NOT for vigilance guardians. Vigilance guardians are the last class that needs nerf in dmg.

And no, leap isnt an ability that does too much. On every mmo that has leap (charge) it does the same exactly things, builds main resource, deals low dmg and stuns target or root it, so when animation finish, you wont be 10 meters behind your enemt again...BW's resolve didnt work very well with stun on leap when they made that change, and they made it again root+interrupt. If you want an ability that does too much, that is Tracer Missile...

It is ranged, it deals high damage (more than leap...) , it reduces the dmg you take, it reduces target's armor,

it increases dmg of rail shot, it reduces cast time of healing scan, it has a chance to finish the cd of unload, it increases the dmg of unload. It increases the dmg of heetseaker missiles. Woahh there BW!!! Thats NINE (9) things that 1 ability does!! Nerf !! Nerf!!!

Hence why they should be punished for doing so. As of now, they are barely punished for it since CCs can stack without DR, their CDs are retarded low for how only CC breaker can remove them (and barrier) and for how many CCs there is in the game, most CCs does additional effects on top of their hard stun/mez, making them less of a waste when used on white bars.

No roots are broken on damage immediately after being applied, all roots last at least 2 seconds unless broken by a special ability. Cleanse doesn't cleanse all roots. Only 3 AC have cleanse and they don't remove all type of debuffs. Sages/sorcs cannot cleanse a slinger/sniper roots, mando/merc and scoundrel/op cannot cleanse a force leap root.

Roots can be stack and used without care as there is no DR to punish it's usage, a player can be rooted for an overly extended period of time to a point where you might as well just go AFK and get yourself a coffee while waiting for the roots spam to be over.

Thank for confirming that using a stun on a white barred opponent is a bad play. I already knew that thought.

Your comprehension skills are so terrible it almost makes stunning a white bar target looks good.

My post was about how bad plays arn't punished enough if you didn't notice.

Bad play like what you've described are already punished, go look up the definition of opportunity cost.

Dont forget the premades that ruin ALL pvp WZs

Theres so few playing the game now that you Always run into premades in WZs.

Equal and fun WZs are so rare since so few plays this shttty game anymore.

Awwww, you must be lost. Don't worry, I'm sure one of us can help you find the premade QQ thread- shouldn't be too hard.

I completely agree with no.1

I hate how bad players spam cc, and swtor doesn't have any diminishing returns for it.

In SWTOR, you can spam cc and not suffer ANY repercussions. Only the occasional full resolve that lasts 10 secs

OK, so 2 warriors use the aoe mez at the exact same time: 6 seconds of CC, as opposed to one waits until the first mez worn off then use his that would result in 12 seconds of CC overall. Yeah, no repercussion at all.

Some good points here, but mostly related to class balance. I'm still trying to fathom the complete lack of any incentive for open-world pvp. Boggles my mind that killing an enemy player on a pvp server has no reward whatsoever, even in areas like the Outlaw's Den.